What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (2 Viewers)

I need one thing cleared up. I can't be the only one wondering this.

- Jesse figured out that Huell lifted the ricin that other time.

- Jesse confronts Saul about this; Saul says Huell lifted it on Walt's orders.

- Jesse goes nuts.

But Brock was poisoned by Lily of the Valley, not ricin, and Jesse knows that. What am I missing?

- Jesse goes nuts.

But Brock was poisoned by Lily of the Valley, not ricin, and Jesse knows that. What am I missing?
Because he figured out that the whole thing was a deception by Walt. The manipulation is what set him off. I'm sure that also confirmed that the hug in the desert when Jesse was begging Walt to come clean was also fake.

- Jesse goes nuts.

Because he figured out that the whole thing was a deception by Walt. The manipulation is what set him off. I'm sure that also confirmed that the hug in the desert when Jesse was begging Walt to come clean was also fake.
Got it. Thanks.

What was with the box of cigs?
Huell lifted Hello Kitty and replaced it with the box.
He took the weed I believe.
How would Huell know to take the weed? I didn't think he was even in the room at the point. But he did see Saul give him the phone.
I don't think it's off the wall to conceive of a scenario where Jesse was out of earshot and Saul says "dude he has weed, take it from him" to Suell. Maybe I'm nuts.
Yeah, when he was out asking for the "money-sized bag"

There's really no reason for Huell to have lifted the phone. He took the weed which flipped the switch in Jesse's head that they lifted the ricin previously, and Walt lied. They weren't going to kill Jesse, he was going to get a fresh start. He no longer wanted it when he realized what Walt had done.
I'm in this camp.

How would Huell know to take the weed? I didn't think he was even in the room at the point. But he did see Saul give him the phone.
from above:

(***) After Jesse realized the marijuana was gone, I went back and watched the earlier scene at Saul's office. Saul steps into the reception area for a moment — ostensibly to get a bag for the money, but also to give Huell instructions — and if you're paying attention, you can see Huell reach into Jesse's pocket while Jesse is trying to get around him, just as you can see Huell stuff something into his pocket after frisking Jesse in "End Times."

Last edited by a moderator:
At Sepinwall's site, someone asked the same question I did. He just replied to it:

Jesse realized the cigarette was missing at the time. He assumed Huell lifted it off of him (which he did) and that Walt used the ricin to poison Brock. Walt convinced him at the time that Tyrus must have taken it to poison Brock. When it later turned out to be the lily of the valley, they spent a good chunk of a later episode searching for the cigarette, and found it where Walt had planted a version of it, in Jesse's Roomba. It was only when he realized that Huell had gone through his pockets for the marijuana that he recognized that Huell must have switched out the cigarette pack the first time, and that Walt had done it as part of the theater to get him to turn against Gus.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I thought it was a pretty underwhelming episode.

I don't like where this is going. This Brock/ricin thing was incredibly flimsy when they first did it. Now, they are going to turn the whole damn show in it. Not too fired up about it.
You think that Jesse realizing that Walt manipulated him into thinking he almost killed Brock is flimsy?
I just didn't buy that entire storyline at the time, and I don't like it being used as a catalyst for the endgame.

I don't have a problem with Jesse figuring it out the way he did (you know, as long as we assume Jesse's both dumb enough to buy Walt's original story and smart enough to piece it all together the way he did).

from above:(***) After Jesse realized the marijuana was gone, I went back and watched the earlier scene at Saul's office. Saul steps into the reception area for a moment ostensibly to get a bag for the money, but also to give Huell instructions and if you're paying attention, you can see Huell reach into Jesse's pocket while Jesse is trying to get around him, just as you can see Huell stuff something into his pocket after frisking Jesse in "End Times."
That is what happened. "Excuse me".

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I thought it was a pretty underwhelming episode.

I don't like where this is going. This Brock/ricin thing was incredibly flimsy when they first did it. Now, they are going to turn the whole damn show in it. Not too fired up about it.
You think that Jesse realizing that Walt manipulated him into thinking he almost killed Brock is flimsy?
I just didn't buy that entire storyline at the time, and I don't like it being used as a catalyst for the endgame.

I don't have a problem with Jesse figuring it out the way he did (you know, as long as we assume Jesse's both dumb enough to buy Walt's original story and smart enough to piece it all together the way he did).
Jesse was naive and still under Walt's manipulative power in season 4. Only recently has he started to see through it. That was actually kind of highlighted in the scene tonight where Jesse tells Walt to stop trying to work him.

Jesse never knew about the Lilly of the valley. He just knew it wasn't ricin. He didn't know what had been given to Brock exactly, just that Gus had been the one to do it.

Jesse never knew about the Lilly of the valley. He just knew it wasn't ricin. He didn't know what had been given to Brock exactly, just that Gus had been the one to do it.
Jesse knew it was lily of the valley, as explicitly stated by him at the end of season 4. He chalked it up to something Brock ate accidentally while playing.

Jesse was naive and still under Walt's manipulative power in season 4. Only recently has he started to see through it. That was actually kind of highlighted in the scene tonight where Jesse tells Walt to stop trying to work him.
Oh, I get what they want us to believe.

I just don't think it all adds up, and is more an attempt to just have Jesse do what's convenient for the plot at the time.

Anybody who thought that was a mediocre show tonight isn't watching the same episode as me.

The Walt confession tape was jaw dropping.

Just re-watched it, and you can absolutely see Huell take the weed out of Jesse's pocket in that scene. It's dark, but you can see the bag.

Jesse knew it was lily of the valley, as explicitly stated by him at the end of season 4. He chalked it up to something Brock ate accidentally while playing.
Yep. He said it to Walt and Walt acted shocked.

This is how I remember it. Walt put the ricin in the roomba thing to tie the whole story up for Jesse.

I just don't think it all adds up, and is more an attempt to just have Jesse do what's convenient for the plot at the time.
I think it adds up to a pretty believable and realistic character arc for Jesse. I don't know.

I am still of the mindset that it was going to be a hit on Jesse. And the reason is that Huell took the phone also so Jesse couldn't call for help

Half measures Mr White.....had his chance in the desert.

I think it is Todd's crew that is the bigger problem.

I'm actually a little surprised that so many of the regulars in this thread missed Huell lifting the weed. Haven't we be waiting for something to happen that would make Jessie figure out Huell lifted the cigarettes since season 3?

If it was a hit they just wouldnt give him the phone in the first place. Also no need to lift the weed. If anything the hit is easier if he is high.

Walt poisoning Brock was the defining moment of the series for me. If Jesse never found out, I would consider that to be pretty disappointing.

I only watched those episodes a couple of weeks ago, so it's pretty fresh for me. Jesse came to Walt's house to shoot him because he thought Walt poisoned Brock to trick Jesse into thinking that Gus poisoned Brock to trick Jesse into helping Walt murder Gus. Pretty crazy accusation, and Walt was able to talk him down. Walt told Jesse he would never do that, never hurt a kid, etc. And the big line was even if he had wanted to, how could he? How could he have stolen the ricin?

Then Jesse said "you had Huell take it from me!" Walt responded with how ridiculous that was, and he eventually got Jesse to believe him. Then they teamed up to kill Gus.

When it was found out that Brock was poisoned by Lily of the Valley, Jesse said something to Walt like "wow.... we killed Gus for nothing....he didn't even poison Brock." But Walt convinced Jesse that they needed to kill Gus, because Gus was bad, etc. Of course, since Brock wasn't poisoned with ricin, it didn't mean that since Gus didn't poison Brock, Walt did.

Then, the light goes on for Jesse. He realizes wait a minute, this Huell guy is pretty good at stealing things. ..... HFS, he took the ricin cigarette. He pieces it together -- I searched for that cigarette, couldn't find it, then Walt came over and it was magically there. Walt didn't poison Brock with ricin, he did it with Lily of the Valley. But he stole the cigarette so I would think Gus poisoned Brock, so I would kill Gus.

That's a pretty monumental revelation. And it was handled really well.

I think it adds up to a pretty believable and realistic character arc for Jesse. I don't know.
Maybe. Something about it just never sat right with me.

The Jesse I'd interpreted at that point was under Walt's spell, but not a total idiot, which I thought Jesse would've had to be to buy that garbage.

I'm actually a little surprised that so many of the regulars in this thread missed Huell lifting the weed. Haven't we be waiting for something to happen that would make Jessie figure out Huell lifted the cigarettes since season 3?
Yep and they foreshadowed it in an earlier episode when Jesse pulled out the joint from this pack of cigarettes in the waiting room when he stared at it for a second, it's been leading up to this.

Yep and they foreshadowed it in an earlier episode when Jesse pulled out the joint from this pack of cigarettes in the waiting room when he stared at it for a second, it's been leading up to this.
also a focus on the roomba last week

- Jesse goes nuts.

The Fredo hug

It still can be spun that way. Saul shouldn't have said anything though.

- Jesse goes nuts.

The Fredo hug
Fredo gets a kiss.

I think it is Todd's crew thatbis the bigger problem.
doesnt seem like todd gives two craps about mr white but his uncle is bad news
I think they will want him to cook again.

I can see White trying his Heisenberg routine on these guys with dire consequences.

His other criminal associates recently have been smarter and more importantly: had a lot to lose. The "I killed Fring" play buys a lot of street cred and they have to protect their operation and respect that.

When you are dealing with swastika neck tattoo guy - that conversation ends with a "so what?" ..followed by a warning shot in the foot.

from above:(***) After Jesse realized the marijuana was gone, I went back and watched the earlier scene at Saul's office. Saul steps into the reception area for a moment ostensibly to get a bag for the money, but also to give Huell instructions and if you're paying attention, you can see Huell reach into Jesse's pocket while Jesse is trying to get around him, just as you can see Huell stuff something into his pocket after frisking Jesse in "End Times."
That is what happened."Excuse me".
The real trigger to jog Jesse's memory was that Huell used the same brand of cigarettes as the last time he swiped them from Jesse, so Jesse made the immediate connection.

I think it is Todd's crew thatbis the bigger problem.
doesnt seem like todd gives two craps about mr white but his uncle is bad news
I think they will want him to cook again.
In the booth at the diner, the uncle says "Are you feeling good about cooking? Run your own lab.... do it up right?"

Todd replies "I got this."
Are they still sending the blue overseas? Hot chick isnt going to accept Todd's cook.

Users who are viewing this thread