What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (3 Viewers)

Has there ever been any explanation as to how Walt lost his job at Sandia Labs and became a teacher? TIA.
Nothing on the Breaking Bad Wiki about it.

Around 20 years ago, Walt worked in Application Labs ("Cancer Man"). He also worked in a chemical lab near Los Alamos, and met Skyler White, a hostess at that time, in a restaurant ("Cancer Man"). He moved to Albuquerque to work for Sandia Laboratories just prior to his firstborn ("Full Measure").

Walt eventually went on to become a chemistry teacher at JP Wynne High School where his son, Walter White Jr., also attends as a student. Financially, this job was not enough to support his family, so Walt took on a second job at the A1A Car Wash.
It's not something I worry about but I do find it hard to believe. There's really no excuse for a chemist of any talent, let alone a CalTech educated one, to be teaching high school chemistry. If things didn't work out at Sandia he could have found a job anywhere in the country.
maybe he could just never get his #### together enough to leave. Scowler probably has no desire to leave. He settled into something comfortable and easy. It seems, at some point he just started going through the motions and didn't apply himself (which he ironically accused Jesse of). It took a cancer diagnosis for him to realize how much he had compromised his potential...

Walt has a serious lack of self-esteem:

- Intimidated by a rich girl he is dating he dumps her (afraid she'd end up leaving him if he didn't) and ends up marrying a waitress who he wasn't afraid would leave him.

- Rather than find another chemistry job after Sandia he settles for being a high school teacher where he is easily the smartest guy in the school. That's not what he told himself was the reason, which was probably his son being disabled and needed a secure income/insurance.

- His anger with people questioning things he does really shows his lack of self-esteem. Someone who is confident does react the way he does to perceived disrespect.

- Even look at how he reacted when Flynn thought he was the one who raised all the money for his cancer treatment. Jealous of his own son who might actually think he's better at something than his dad.

Walter White's fear that his ego would get damaged always held him back and that's why he needed to create Heisenberg to be successful.

Has there ever been any explanation as to how Walt lost his job at Sandia Labs and became a teacher? TIA.
Nothing on the Breaking Bad Wiki about it.

Around 20 years ago, Walt worked in Application Labs ("Cancer Man"). He also worked in a chemical lab near Los Alamos, and met Skyler White, a hostess at that time, in a restaurant ("Cancer Man"). He moved to Albuquerque to work for Sandia Laboratories just prior to his firstborn ("Full Measure").

Walt eventually went on to become a chemistry teacher at JP Wynne High School where his son, Walter White Jr., also attends as a student. Financially, this job was not enough to support his family, so Walt took on a second job at the A1A Car Wash.
It's not something I worry about but I do find it hard to believe. There's really no excuse for a chemist of any talent, let alone a CalTech educated one, to be teaching high school chemistry. If things didn't work out at Sandia he could have found a job anywhere in the country.
maybe he could just never get his #### together enough to leave. Scowler probably has no desire to leave. He settled into something comfortable and easy. It seems, at some point he just started going through the motions and didn't apply himself (which he ironically accused Jesse of). It took a cancer diagnosis for him to realize how much he had compromised his potential...
Jesse is Walt without the genius. Could be the reason why Walt insults him so much - he knows he could have been Jesse if it weren't for his intelligence.

Yup. How about him finding out he has cancer and saying, oh well, I might as well die. He doesn't even want to get treatment. And then the scene where skyler has an intervention for him because he's considering not getting treated for cancer, and he says that his whole life, he never made his own decisions. Followed by the scene where he finds out his tumor has gone way down in size, and he goes to the bathrooom and bloodies his fist punching the paper towel dispenser because he was upset with the news (and obviously his own decisions). He acts like he has nothing to lose because he places such a low value on himself.

So does Aaron Paul have staying power as an actor, or will he travel the country signing autographs for $10 a pop in a few years?

"That'll be a sawbuck, BITCH!"
Saw him in a couple other things and he's been pretty great. If he picks good projects, I'm sure he'll do very well.
Agree. He's young enough that he doesn't have to be type cast as jesse pinkman if he makes good decisions. This show still has fairly low viewership. Lots of actors from more popular shows have made transitions to bigger roles.
Not that I disagree, but I can't think of too actors from great shows that went on to bigger roles in other very good shows and didn't get typecast. Most were more classic leading man types that ended up playing somewhat similar roles (Olyphant, Krause, Goggins). Speaking of Olyphant, there's also Gunn who went from playing a wife nobody likes to playing a wife nobody likes.

Michael C. Hall sort of fits that mold, though he did have to shake off the "wow, so the gay Fisher is a serial killer now" thing.

At best, most seem to end up in terrible network dramas (Chiklis, Dean Norris, Connie Britton).

Paul seems like he'd have a really hard time not being Pinkman with as much time as he spends on twitter saying "#####".

He'll definitely get a lot of work, but the chances of Aaron Paul being remembered as anything other than Jesse Pinkman is pretty slim, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I disagree, but I can't think of too actors from great shows that went on to bigger roles in other very good shows and didn't get typecast.
That is definitely true.

Going back in history, Buddy Ebsen sticks out as someone who went from one show playing a specific type of character to a second show playing someone entirely different.

Ed O'Neill and Katey Sagal have gone on to second shows with different characters.

Not that I disagree, but I can't think of too actors from great shows that went on to bigger roles in other very good shows and didn't get typecast.
That is definitely true.

Going back in history, Buddy Ebsen sticks out as someone who went from one show playing a specific type of character to a second show playing someone entirely different.

Ed O'Neill and Katey Sagal have gone on to second shows with different characters.
DeVito might've pulled it off the best, though Taxi was a little before my time, so I can't speak to how different Frank is from Louie. He had a big movie career in between, but I guess a lot of those roles were similar. Probably hard to build a big movie and TV career as a fat 4' guy without some sort of typecasting.

Hell, Cranston himself might be pretty far up on this short list. He became well known for 3 pretty different roles, minor as the 1st might've been.

Which tagline will we remember the most several years from now?

A) "I am the one who knocks"

B) "I'm in the empire business."

C) "Tread lightly."

D) Other

My TV sure picked a great time to #### out on me. :kicksrock:

May have to watch the finale through a stream on my laptop or something. Just seems wrong. I see that the AMC website has full episodes available for streaming if you login with your TV provider, like HBOGO does.. Anyone know if they'll stream the finale live or how soon I can watch it after it initially airs?

The two commercials right now are pretty good. Chemistry is the study of transformation! and My name is ozymandias king of kings. Look on my works ye mighty and despair.

Just woke up and turned it on to see Todd shoot the kid :o
The way the beginning of the next episode is shown - when they are destroying the evidence, like the kid's bike and then eventually the kid himself - is so well-shot. Plus, while Todd is reaching and trying to find the kid in the dirt pile, the looks on the faces of both Mike and Walt say it all. :no:

Woke up pretty sad that this it tonight. :(
Yup :cry:
I'm not. I think the show has gone long enough. I've loved damned near every second of it, but it takes guts to end something at its apex instead of milking it for every last penny (maybe that's what the spinoff is for). Breaking Bad has never been more popular than it is right now (the internet will explode tonight - good, bad, or inbetween). Obviously, Gilligan & Co couldn't see this coming 4 years ago (I think the end of S4 was a just-in-case-we-don't-get-renewed plan and I'd have been fine with that), but it's almost a perfect time to shut it down.

Hopefully this stays relatively unspoiled, because of the time difference I'm not going to get a chance to watch this till tomorrow night UK time.

Tempted to wake at 3, download it and then go to work.

Woke up pretty sad that this it tonight. :(
Yup :cry:
I'm not. I think the show has gone long enough. I've loved damned near every second of it, but it takes guts to end something at its apex instead of milking it for every last penny (maybe that's what the spinoff is for). Breaking Bad has never been more popular than it is right now (the internet will explode tonight - good, bad, or inbetween). Obviously, Gilligan & Co couldn't see this coming 4 years ago (I think the end of S4 was a just-in-case-we-don't-get-renewed plan and I'd have been fine with that), but it's almost a perfect time to shut it down.
It passed west wing as my favorite show ever when Walt showed up at Denny's and bought a machine gun. Sknce then it has moved up and to the right in a way that is surprising - it's gotten better by the week.

But I agree. I'm ready for it to end. They've told an amazing story and finishing it well is an amazing accomplishment. This is the only long running show I can think of that didn't have an "off" season or even 3 or 4 episodes in a row that could be skipped over.

In "Buyout" Walt has pretty much lost his family, says he is in the Empire Business (not the Meth or Money business), brings up Grey Matter, takes credit for coming up with the name and says he checks the stock price weekly (daily?).

Mirrors where he is at in the finale, still not sure if this points to him making an effort to destroy GM in order to "win" or not before turning himself in, getting himself killed, or eating the ricin.

Users who are viewing this thread