What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (6 Viewers)

On a sidenote I saw that preview for the next season probably 20 times while watching BB. Finally caught the part where Saul says to his friend "It'S All Good Man" - Saul Goodman.

Kind of freaked me out that I never heard that on the show / put that together or heard that in this preview I had literally heard prolly 20 times.

Love Vince Gilligan the guy is a genius.
Didn't Saul/jimmy say that way back?
Yes, during the series.

i was sick of the cancer kids and abused animals commercials, so i just watched my the end of season 4 and season 5 up to ozymandias during my pre- and post-scan time on my torrented copies of the episodes. much better experience, obviously. no unnecessarily bleeps on great lines like "my name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go F yourself"
Good job stealing the show.

Not sure what you guys are intimating about Skyler.

She was a good, loyal, loving wife until Walt was well along into morphing into the monster he ultimately became.

And if it's commentary on her physically... I think she's very attractive... I'd go with her, Marie, or Lydia over any other woman that was on the series.

NotSmart said:
Not sure what you guys are intimating about Skyler.

She was a good, loyal, loving wife until Walt was well along into morphing into the monster he ultimately became.

And if it's commentary on her physically... I think she's very attractive... I'd go with her, Marie, or Lydia over any other woman that was on the series.
Didn't she turn on Walt pretty early in the show?  Well before Walt became fully Heisenberg?

I think most sensible wives would get pretty fed up with their husband pretty quickly if he suddenly became distant, disappeared for long stretches, and told obvious, bad lies to try to cover stuff up.  I get that Skyler, by and large, wasn't an overly likable character, and sure, Walt, despite his faults, was written to be the protagonist, and anyone who opposed him in any fashion was going to be ostracized by viewers, but the hate some had for her was so bizarre.  

Didn't she turn on Walt pretty early in the show?  Well before Walt became fully Heisenberg?
I've been waiting to watch the entire series start to finish again, wanting to let enough time pass so it wasn't all still fresh in my mind.

I still cheat and rewatch some of my favorite scenes, but I'm truly looking forward to savoring all the details in all the episodes with a new perspective the 2nd time through.

That said, as I recall, Skyler was sympathetic and strong when Walt got his diagnosis, and was doing everything she could think of to help him get top level treatment.

She didn't start changing her feelings/actions toward him until he was obviously changing as a person - lying, disappearing, fugue state, missing the birth of his daughter.

If she was being a ##### prior to Walt giving her full reason to be, I've forgotten it and would be interested in hearing it.

Raider Nation said:
Hottest chick ever on BB. Gotta be Walt's principal Carmen, no?
In a landslide although we didn't have many choices.  I really didn't notice how unattractive most of the cast was until my g/f who would occasionally watch commented on why she didn't like the show:  "Everyone is ugly".

From the main characters I'd go:

1. Carmen

2. Jane

3. Lydia

3a. Jesse's chola girlfriend

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it's an MCP day for me ('course, no one under 50 knows what that is), but Skyler might be the one character in all of TV history i'd pull out of a show if i could. Pimping alternate realities is mostly what women do - hell, it's what all people do nowadays, but it comes from the distaff domain - but none more than our Sky. Being a bad wife to a criminal does not mitigate being married to a criminal and turned the domestic portion of BrBa into a cartoon.

If she was being a ##### prior to Walt giving her full reason to be, I've forgotten it and would be interested in hearing it.
While it was far from the ultimate ##### she turned out to be obviously but some of her character flaws comes through in the very first episode where she is giving Walt his birthday handy job and watching her ebay sale at the same time.  

But overall what you remembered is correct.  She does not turn in robo ##### until she learns about what is really going on.

where she is giving Walt his birthday handy job and watching her ebay sale at the same time. 
Exactly. This is where the Skyler hate began.
Hate got turned way up when she broke out the talking pillow. If I was Walt, and Tuco threatened to kidnap me and whisk me away to the jungles of Mexico to cook meth, I'd triple-dog dare him, just to be sure.

In a landslide although we didn't have many choices.  I really didn't notice how unattractive most of the cast was until my g/f who would occasionally watch commented on why she didn't like the show:  "Everyone is ugly".

1. Carmen

2. Jane

3. Lydia

That's a really dumb reason to not like a show.  If you want hot actors and actresses, watch Baywatch. 

Besides, most women I know who watched the show thought Aaron Paul was nice to look at, and while neither is GQ, calling Cranston or Esposito ugly is pretty dumb.  

As for the women, I thought Lydia was more attractive than most others seemed to.  

Last edited by a moderator:
While it was far from the ultimate ##### she turned out to be obviously but some of her character flaws comes through in the very first episode where she is giving Walt his birthday handy job and watching her ebay sale at the same time.  

But overall what you remembered is correct.  She does not turn in robo ##### until she learns about what is really going on.
I'd forgotten that scene and it'll be interesting to see how it strikes me when I watch it again.

But really, isn't that stereotypically pretty standard for a couple that has been married for 15+ years?

Rather than making us not like Skyler right off the bat, I'd guess that scene was more intended to show us how mundane, routine, and normal their daily existence had become, and thus help better understand Walt's transformation from milktoast to drug kingpin.

It's also an early indicator as to how they are kind of strapped for cash - another huge factor in how things eventually play out.

1. Carmen

2. Jane

3. Lydia

Wow, agree to disagree.

Compared to Baywatch, sure, unattractive.

But for women in their 40's, lots of very good looking women in this show.

They also weren't intended to be made up and glamorous; they looked the way people would look while just living their everyday lives.

I think most sensible wives would get pretty fed up with their husband pretty quickly if he suddenly became distant, disappeared for long stretches, and told obvious, bad lies to try to cover stuff up.  I get that Skyler, by and large, wasn't an overly likable character, and sure, Walt, despite his faults, was written to be the protagonist, and anyone who opposed him in any fashion was going to be ostracized by viewers, but the hate some had for her was so bizarre.  
I think it was akin to the hate people have had at Carmela Soprano; i.e. - she's taking a moral high ground in regards to confronting her husband about his dealings and endeavors; yet has no problem spending the money.  

I don't think anyone had quite a problem with Skye when she was concerned for him in regards to his cancer. 

I'll never understand people who are that against rewatching stuff   

People change, and the way you look at things change.  There is stuff I loved 10years ago, but not so much now, and vise versa. 
Some people are very plot oriented. If they know the twists and the finish, they don't see the point. Some people aren't plot oriented. To each their own. 

Rather than making us not like Skyler right off the bat, I'd guess that scene was more intended to show us how mundane, routine, and normal their daily existence had become, and thus help better understand Walt's transformation from milktoast to drug kingpin.
I re-watched the whole series recently with my daughter.  I think you will have a similar but maybe slightly darker interpretation the next time you watch.

This time around it hit me hard that they were not just trying to show Walter's life as mundane but more closer to bordering on being pathetic.  He is not respected in school and he is demeaned to have to take a second job where he is scoffed at while having to service one of his own students cars.

I think the HJ scene was to add to his complete and total level of disrespect he received from the world around him.  Wanting respect was a huge pillar of how Hisenberg is created and acts.

I think it is very telling that the first time he feels strong after dealing with the kids who were bullying junior that he acts out in bed making sure that Skyler simply can't ignore him sexually.

Some people are very plot oriented. If they know the twists and the finish, they don't see the point. Some people aren't plot oriented. To each their own. 
I am plot oriented too  

My point is that I think you interpret and read into things differently as you go through life, so you would look at plot points and characters differently.

Like you said, to each their own.  

I have never watched before yesterday. My wife convinced me to give it a try.  Got through the first three episodes and wasn't impressed.  Everyone says it gets better......right now its like a bad comedy of errors and misunderstandings....like a Threes Company episode on meth.

When did it hook you guys?  SO many people telling me to hang it there, so I will, but wondering when its gonna click for me.
Operator error.

Users who are viewing this thread