What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

"Clapping back"....I don't know where the hell this came from but it needs to go away.  The fact that there are educated humans with degrees in journalism using this routinely should make us all cringe.  

Mrs. Rannous said:
On this site, I don't have much choice.  I once had to refer to someone as "fledermaus guano" crazy.
Clever.

Apologies if this is mentioned before (I'm not looking back through 100s of pages) but here are some recent ones driving me Chiroptera dookie crazy:

• Ship, as in, "I totally ship Ashley Benson and Cara Delevingne - so hot right now."
  • Lit or fire -- as in, "Dude, the new MLB The Show 20 is totally fire/lit."  it's an old code, sirs, but one my 14 year old and his friends are still checking out constantly.

Ship doesn’t mean worship. It means you  you think they would make a great couple. 

For example, in early seasons of The Office lots of people were shipping Jim and Pam.

Ship doesn’t mean worship. It means you  you think they would make a great couple. 

For example, in early seasons of The Office lots of people were shipping Jim and Pam.
short for relationship - still needs to go. my kids went through a phase referencing this often. glad it seems to have faded.

so ####### idiotic ...ugghhh

but this kind of behavior has gone on for some time.  

back in '89 there was Wayne's World and in the Fall there was a skit with Bruce Willis (the cool senior) that focused on the "cool, new word" for the HS season, the prior year's "cool" word was “pail”, or “bucket”.. as in, “So what did you think of the new substitute teacher?” “I think he’s ‘pail’, he’s ‘bucket’!”

anyone remember this?

SNL TRANSCRIPT 8/30/89

Wayne’s World

Wayne Campbell…..Mike Myers
Garth Algar…..Dana Carvey
Rick…..Bruce Willis
Mrs. Campbell…..Nora Dunn
Nancy…..Jan Hooks

[ open on Cable 10 page ]

Announcer: You are watching Cable 10, Aurora, Illinois community access channel.

[ dissolve to Wayne Campbell’s basement studio, as the animated “Wayne’s World” logo appears onscreen ]

Wayne: [ singing, as he jams on his guitar ] “Wayne’s World!! Wayne’s World!! Party Time! Excellent!!”

Garth: Alright! Okay! alright! Welcome to “Wayne’s World”! Here’s your host – Wayne Campbell!

Wayne: Partyyyyyyyy!! Party hearty! It’s Friday night, it’s 10:30, I’m your excellent host, Wayne Campbell. With me, as always, is Garth.

Garth: Party on, Wayne!

Wayne: Party on, Garth! Okay! Before we bring out our first guest, let me explain the bogus music you can hear from upstairs – my parentals are having a party. Let’s just hope they don’t wander downstairs drunk and make us to go get ice.

Garth: Yeah, parents get scary when they’re wasted!

Wayne: Whoa! Speaking of scary, alright? This week we’ve got a new feature on “Wayne’s World.” We call it: Extreme Close-Up.

Together: Extreme Close-up!!

Wayne: [ jamming his guitar ] Extreme Close-Up! Extreme Close-up! Party Time! Excellent! Okay!

Garth: Excellent! Excellent! That was a good buzz! Alright!

Wayne: That was great! Okay, let’s bring out our first guest. You all know him, alright? He’s, by far, the coolest senior in school. I mean, you can’t even get near him in the Smoking Area, because of the Sea of Babeitude that surrounds him, you know? And tonight, he’s going to unveil the new cool word for the school year. Ladies and gentlemen, the coolest guy in school – Rick!

Wayne & Garth: [ jamming ] “Wayne’s World! Wayne’s World!”

[ Rick comes downstairs and sits on the chair next to the couch ]

Wayne: Alright! Welcome to “Wayne’s World”, Rick!

Rick: [ solemn, not sure why he’s here ] Hello.

Wayne: Whoa, I’m really honored to have you on the show, man! Did you have a good summer?

Rick: [ stoned silence ] Yeah.

Wayne: Well, okay! I had a good summer. Yeah, I went to Great America, and then I got mono. Garth, how was your summer?

Garth: Uh.. I-I-I worked in my Dad’s store.. and I saw “Batman” seven times! Yeah! What did you do, Rick?

Rick: What’s that, Garth?

Garth: What, what, what did you do, Rick..?

Rick: I was in Reform School.

[ Wayne and Garth can’t get over it ]

Wayne: That’s cool, man!

Garth: Excellent!

Wayne: [ to Rick ] Why?

Rick: Why what?

Wayne: Why were you in Reform School?

Rick: I pulled a B&E.

Wayne: Breaking and Entering. Excellent! Excellent! Well, if you don’t mean my being so bold, Rick, are you ready to unveil the new cool word for the school year? [ to camera ] I should explain something, alright? Last year, Rick’s new cool word was “pail”, or “bucket”.. as in, “So what did you think of the new substitute teacher?” “I think he’s ‘pail’, he’s ‘bucket’!” And, Rick? Rick, this year the new cool word is..? Go, Garth, go!

[ Garth pounds on the couch as though it were a drum ]

Rick: The word is.. [ thinking ] ..Sphincter.

Wayne: Excellent!

Garth: Wow, that’s the greatest word I’ve ever heard in my life, Rick! How do you do that?

Rick: They appear to me, as if in a dream.

Wayne: Unnecessary Zoom!

[ camera zooms in on them rapidly and unnecessarily ]

Wayne & Garth: Whoa-oa! Whoa-oa!

Garth: Wow, Rick, you are so cool, you know? You should have your own show!

Wayne: [ turned off ] What a traitor you are, man. Stab me in the back, why don’tcha? [ pulls invisible knife out of his back ] Schwing! I believe this is yours? What a quizzling.

Garth: Wow.. Wayne, don’t be such a.. sphincter! [ laughs ]

Wayne: Shyeah, right! You’re the one who’s sphincticious!

Garth: Yeah, right, Wayne! Wayne, you’re a sphinctoid!

Wayne: Well, that’s all very interesting, my funky friend.. but I see you dabble in the ways of sphinctery!

Rick: Boy, you’re an example of tragic sphincterism gone unchecked.

Garth: Good one, Rick! Yeah, Wayne, you go off the sphinctometer!

Wayne: I have seen the sphincter.. and it is Garth!

Rick: [ impressed ] Oh, very nice, Wayne, very nice.. [ rubs his fingers with Wayne’s ]

Wayne: Oh, thanks, Rick! [ passes the finger rub on down to Garth ]

Garth: Way to go, Rick.

Wayne: Okay, Rick, you’re a cool guy, right? Do something cool on the show.

Rick: How about a crank call?

Wayne: Oh, excellent! Excellent! Who? Who?

Rick: [ thinking ] Upstairs.

Wayne: [ excited ] Great, great! [ dials upstairs and hands the phone to Rick ] Go! Go!

Voice on Phone: Hello?

Rick: Is this Wayne’s Mother?

Voice on Phone: Yes, it is.

Rick: May I speak to Wayne.

Voice on Phone: Uh.. I’m afraid he’s doing his show right now.

Rick: Well, it’s rather important!

Voice on Phone: Who may I say is calling?

Rick: His Math teacher. Mr. Sphincter!

[ Wayne and Garth lose their composure ]

Voice on Phone: Hold on, I’ll get him..

[ Wayne’s Mom walks downstairs ]

Mrs. Campbell: Wayne? Honey, I’m sorry to interrupt, but your Math teacher, Mr. Sphincter, is on the line.

[ Wayne, Garth and Rick crack up, Rick stomping his boot to the hardwood floor ]

Wayne: I’m sorry, Mom? What was that name again?

Mrs. Campbell: Mr. Sphincter.

Wayne: Thanks!

Mrs. Campbell: [ wraps her arm around Wayne ] You kids having fun, honey? I think that’s important. You want some potato chips, or rumballs or something?

Wayne: Yeah, rumballs. Yeah, right, Mom.

Mrs. Campbell: [ starts walking upstairs ] Okay. Well, you’re gonna talk to Mr. Sphincter? [ Wayne tries not to laugh ] Is the music too loud, honey?

Wayne: [ trying not to laugh ] No, it’s okay. But, Mom, just so I’m clear, okay – who’s on the line again?

Mrs. Campbell: Wayne, how many times do I have to tell you? Mr. Sphincter! [ Wayne, Garh and Rick stomp their feet ] Okay, I’ll see you later. Bye, Garth! Have fun now!

Wayne: Bye, Mom! Oh, mean, that was so funny, Iswear I was gonna hurl!

Rick: Yeah. Well, look here, boys. I got a party to go to. I’m out the back way.

Wayne: A party?

Rick: Yeah, well, don’t even think about coming. It’s a gimp-free zone. [ tugs Wayne’s cap over his eyes, then exits the basement through a side door ]

Wayne: Alright, okay Well, okay, thanks for coming on the show, Rick. [ jams guitar ] “Wayne’s World! Wayne’s World!” Wow, I can’t believe he came on the show, that’s amazing..

Garth:Excellent!

[ suddenly, Nancy rushes downstairs ]

Nancy: Hi, Wayne! Hi, Garth! I just saw Rick on TV! Where is he! I haveto talk to him! I do, I have to!

Wayne: Nancy, we have a show, alright? I mean, you see Rick, you bolt over here like a mental case..

Garth: Yeah, what a nympho!

Wayne: [ fake sneezing in his hand ] What a slut! What a slut!

Nancy: Shut up!

Wayne: Soory, I have a cold! [ laughs with Garth ]

Nancy: Wayne, you are not my Dad.

Wayne: Hey, no guff. But I’ll tell you one thing, you know – he’s got the hots for you, man. He says you’re a babe. You are a marked woman!

Nancy: [ excited ] Are you kidding? He knows who I am! [ screams joyfully ]

Wayne: [ mimics fish gills ] Fished in!

Garth: Caught her! He hooked her, he cleaned her! Fished in! Fished in!

Nancy: You guys are pail. You’re really bucket.

Wayne: Nice try! No one says that any more, alright? God, you’re prehistoric! You’re pre-cambrian. That’s all the time we have for this week. Until then – goodnight, party on!

Garth: Goodnight, party on!

Wayne: “Wayne’s World! Wayne’s World! Party Time! Excellent!”

[ title out to black ]

to "STAN" someone/thing

hybrid of stalker & fan.

🤮
Truly yours, your biggest fan, this is Stan...[cue Dido]

The transcript above for Wayne's World misunderstood what a "quisling" is. That I know this makes me want scratch my eyeballs out and beg for your nominations to ship with Frances Farmer so that we might both have our revenge on Seattle together. 

It's also short for "championship".  Brady won 6 ships with NE.

This really didn't help. I mean, unless you were supporting the point that it sounds dumb as hell. 

"Bubble"

Everyone is now thinking the top of every market is a bubble.  STOP IT.

used to refer to a significant, usually rapid, increase in asset prices that is soon followed by a collapse in prices and typically arises from speculation or enthusiasm rather than intrinsic increases in value.

There is NO SPECUALTION going on in the housing market like there was before the crash.   Inventory levels are 5x-7x LESS than back then.  Housing prices have been on supply and demand pricing the last four years in a huge way.

Bubbles have incredible, irrational behavior at the tops with almost panic buying.

DallasDMac said:
This really didn't help. I mean, unless you were supporting the point that it sounds dumb as hell. 
I have no opinion of it. I don’t say it myself but just explaining what it means.

What does it mean?
noun or verb referring to a guy who puts a women on a pedestal, is overly infatuated, etc. 

Examples: D’Shawn is such a simp, he spends all his money on Nina. 

If I had a girlfriend I swear I would simp for her. 

Last edited by a moderator:
noun or verb referring to a guy who puts a women on a pedestal, is overly infatuated, etc. 

Examples: D’Shawn is such a simp, he spends all his money on Nina. 

If I had a girlfriend I swear I would simp for her. 
That's ridiculous.  Why that word choice?  Is it short for something?

Users who are viewing this thread