Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I have no clue what this is - can you give an example?

In emails, bios, press releases, etc...places where you sign off with your name and position- people have added their self-identitied pronoun.

-el floppo

Director of Operations and things.

He, him, his.

 

ETA...actual email signature:

Michael XXX | Music Director, School of Rock xxxxx

Pronouns: He/Him/His

294 xxxxcc Ave, xxxxx, NY xxxxxx  | xxx-210-1720

mxxcc@schoolofrock.com | xxxxx.schoolofrock.com | fb | instagram

Learn to Rock Your World!

 

Edited by El Floppo
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I have no clue what this is - can you give an example?

 

19 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

In emails, bios, press releases, etc...places where you sign off with your name and position- people have added their self-identitied pronoun.

-el floppo

Director of Operations and things.

He, him, his.

 

ETA...actual email signature:

Michael XXX | Music Director, School of Rock xxxxx

Pronouns: He/Him/His

294 xxxxcc Ave, xxxxx, NY xxxxxx  | xxx-210-1720

mxxcc@schoolofrock.com | xxxxx.schoolofrock.com | fb | instagram

Learn to Rock Your World!

 

A little background on this and why we are seeing it more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, we knew that before you linked.

FFS on this. This is a change I certainly oppose. This is what I was talking about gender and gender identity and fluidity back in 2014/5 when I would take out stupid threads about the ramifications of the use of the words "sex" and "gender" and talk about the "fluidity" of gender, tell everyone #### like this was coming down the pike all to flabbergasted "you're weird" and "nuh uh" and "you're weird again" sentiments.

So I reiterate: Who isn't to decide from one day to the next what their pronoun should be? Why should I go out of my way to subject myself to the vagaries of your pronoun preference in order that I might be appropriate? How about you ####### go with tradition and we can all be a little more secure about it. Or, better yet, let's do away with pronouns before a name. I honestly don't feel like combing through every ####### sentence I write to appease Mrs/hers/she highway of undecided foppery. Buck up, Mr/Mrs camper, the world ain't about you.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

In emails, bios, press releases, etc...places where you sign off with your name and position- people have added their self-identitied pronoun.

-el floppo

Director of Operations and things.

He, him, his.

 

ETA...actual email signature:

Michael XXX | Music Director, School of Rock xxxxx

Pronouns: He/Him/His

294 xxxxcc Ave, xxxxx, NY xxxxxx  | xxx-210-1720

mxxcc@schoolofrock.com | xxxxx.schoolofrock.com | fb | instagram

Learn to Rock Your World!

 

My buddy runs a Tool and Die Shop that his dad started.   There are a total of 4 employees and sometimes 1-2 temps if need be, he and his secretary and two other guys that work in the shop are full time.   It was just called by the name..say Joe Blow Tool Co.

When his dad passed away a couple years ago all of a sudden on his emails FB Page sigs were.

Jerry-President, CEO of Joe Blow Tool Co.

Former VP of Joe Blow Tool Co.

Former Head of Operations manager of Joe Blow Tool Co.

Now this company is about 40 miles outside of the Metro-Detroit area so most of our old friends think it it is a 100-200 employee type of operation.  I see them and they say  wow..Jerry is doing very well for himself running that big company.

 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

How would you use this?

Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the league. No cap. 
 

Just say no cap after anything you says that you believe is true. Especially in cases where that likely isn’t the popular opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

Yes, we knew that before you linked.

FFS on this. This is a change I certainly oppose. This is what I was talking about gender and gender identity and fluidity back in 2014/5 when I would take out stupid threads about the ramifications of the use of the words "sex" and "gender" and talk about the "fluidity" of gender, tell everyone #### like this was coming down the pike all to flabbergasted "you're weird" and "nuh uh" and "you're weird again" sentiments.

So I reiterate: Who isn't to decide from one day to the next what their pronoun should be? Why should I go out of my way to subject myself to the vagaries of your pronoun preference in order that I might be appropriate? How about you ####### go with tradition and we can all be a little more secure about it. Or, better yet, let's do away with pronouns before a name. I honestly don't feel like combing through every ####### sentence I write to appease Mrs/hers/she highway of undecided foppery. Buck up, Mr/Mrs camper, the world ain't about you.

You're offended that they're offended.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Hmm...Naw, I'm just perturbed at the added effort needed to navigate the day without stepping on someone's toes. 

So, yes.

You don't have to try...you can just step on their toes. It's just that now you know you're stepping on their toes instead of them having to bear it privately.

Imo, if you want to get annoyed about any of this, it's the use of they/them. I don't mind calling people what they want me to call them...but they/them is just confusing as hell and grammatically incorrect. Use a new word (I've been seeing ze) or co-opt a different word.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

So, yes.

You don't have to try...you can just step on their toes. It's just that now you know you're stepping on their toes instead of them having to bear it privately.

Imo, if you want to get annoyed about any of this, it's the use of they/them. I don't mind calling people what they want me to call them...but they/them is just confusing as hell and grammatically incorrect. Use a new word (I've been seeing ze) or co-opt a different word.

I think we're going to disagree on this one. If this is akin to physical space, it's as intrusive as when your friend would leave his fist right by your chin, call your name, and wait for you to turn around and plant your chin into said fist, whereupon he could not be at fault because he'd established himself in that space prior to your moving. That's what this reminds me of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Lamar Jackson is the best QB in the league. No cap. 
 

Just say no cap after anything you says that you believe is true. Especially in cases where that likely isn’t the popular opinion.

First time seeing “no cap” was in this thread an hour ago. It just means “for real!” or “no BS”?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I think we're going to disagree on this one. If this is akin to physical space, it's as intrusive as when your friend would leave his fist right by your chin, call your name, and wait for you to turn around and plant your chin into said fist, whereupon he could not be at fault because he'd established himself in that space prior to your moving. That's what this reminds me of.

Except they're the ones with the issue...and it has nothing to do with you. You can choose to respect them or not...this sounds like you don't like knowing that you're disrespecting them and would prefer to just do it without that knowledge.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2021 at 9:08 PM, facook said:

"1 of 1"

Bill Simmons.  Such a dumb, lazy phrase.

Does anyone else use “1of 1”? What does it mean?

...

One good thing about being behind the times is that you never even get to hear the slang that everyone else gets tired of :D 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Except they're the ones with the issue...and it has nothing to do with you. You can choose to respect them or not...this sounds like you don't like knowing that you're disrespecting them and would prefer to just do it without that knowledge.

First, let me state that third-person pronouns do serve a utile function in designating a characteristic to a personal entity. More importantly, though, it smooths the language. It is a shorthand and information bearer all at once. Rather than say a proper name repeatedly, which sounds clunky and overwrought, we shorten it with a characteristic-describing word. "Sandy is a wonderful human being! I'm glad that you think that of her!" sounds better than saying Sandy's name redundantly twice. I think we can agree on that.

The information contained within the pronoun and the knowledge of the speaker is indeed the key part of the inquisition here. I don't want to know their preferred pronoun for the simple reason that actively disrespecting someone takes knowledge and intent. It's not disrespecting them if I treat them like everybody else is treated. The utile aspect of pronouns means I'm not looking to adjust a lifetime of "his" and "hers" for those few that need their proper pronouns switched. Some things are done for efficiency's sake during the day and aren't anything personal but for the saving of time and effort. My kvetch is not if one person or two does it, that's easy enough, it's if people decide to turn on/off their gender pronouns by whim, or if it's so prevalent that pronouns, as I said in my first argument, no longer suffice to generalize at all. Then we're stuck using proper names all the time, a linguistic nightmare. "Have you heard Sandy's new band? I heard Sandy is the greatest lead singer! Sandy will be so happy to meet you. Won't you come with me to meet Sandy?"

Anyway, I've spent way too much time on making sure people don't take up too much of my time thinking about this. As paradoxes go, it's a loser.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I'm offended by the stupidity of the practice. 

Seems a strange thing to be "offended" by.  And, you can call it stupid but it's not stupid to a lot of people.

I don't include my pronouns in my signature.  I can't see any way that I ever will.  But I at least understand why some people do.  As evidenced by a couple replies in this thread, some didn't even know this existed or was a thing. 

Some do it to demonstrate being inclusive.  Some do it to avoid ambiguity.  And some do it because it affects them personally in ways most all of us will never understand.  Ask @fatguyinalittlecoat, for example.

I just shake my head at posts like this when such a simple and innocuous gesture that takes so little time or effort (i.e. none at all, really) from your lives but actually means something to others is "stupid" and "offensive".  I get the jokes in this thread and others, and it's all well and good, but when it goes past that, it's bothersome that we can't show a little more compassion towards those not like us that already have plenty of difficulties in life due to being different.  I would maybe get the outrage if you were being forced to participate, but you don't even have to do that. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

 I would maybe get the outrage if you were being forced to participate, but you don't even have to do that. 

You'll be forced to by social mores at some point. You can bank on it. So it's time to have the debate and have it now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rockaction said:

Yes, we knew that before you linked.

And, this is now the 2nd time recently that you've responded to me when I've provided links with "we already knew that".  Just because YOU know something doesn't mean others do. 

In fact, I LITERALLY responded to a post saying "I have no clue what this is - can you give an example?".  So no, "WE" didn't all know that before I linked. 

I'm not sure what your deal is with me (and seemingly others lately as well), but maybe you'd be better served just putting me on ignore. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, gianmarco said:

And, this is now the 2nd time recently that you've responded to me when I've provided links with "we already knew that".  Just because YOU know something doesn't mean others do. 

In fact, I LITERALLY responded to a post saying "I have no clue what this is - can you give an example?".  So no, "WE" didn't all know that before I linked. 

I'm not sure what your deal is with me (and seemingly others lately as well), but maybe you'd be better served just putting me on ignore. 

I'm not getting huffy when I say this so hopefully it doesn't come across that way tonally, but I'm just not sure this is the place to respond to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

And, this is now the 2nd time recently that you've responded to me when I've provided links with "we already knew that".  Just because YOU know something doesn't mean others do. 

In fact, I LITERALLY responded to a post saying "I have no clue what this is - can you give an example?".  So no, "WE" didn't all know that before I linked. 

I'm not sure what your deal is with me (and seemingly others lately as well), but maybe you'd be better served just putting me on ignore. 

I have he/him/his on ignore, and my FBG browsing experience is much better for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

I have he/him/his on ignore, and my FBG browsing experience is much better for it.

Ah, my friend. That you feel a need to say it says it all about you. Nice job dumping and pissing on Limbaugh's grave. You're a class act all around. And nobody, dude, especially me, cares about whether you read me or not. You've actually said that three times about me in our time here. I wonder what makes you tick to be that way.

eta* And I am thrilled to share the honor with a guy calling himself roadkill1292 who is current serving some suspension or another, it seems, as always.

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, EYLive said:
2 hours ago, Doug B said:

First time seeing “no cap” was in this thread an hour ago. It just means “for real!” or “no BS”?

Essentially "no lie". It's dumb.

I'm assuming no one under 40 uses "no cap" in old-line print media? It's something I'd only hear/read if I were hanging with a lot of 20-somethings and/or if I were all over social media?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2021 at 9:46 PM, Snoopy said:
On 2/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, Drunken knight said:

XXX for the win 

Pizza Ranch does that.

What does "XXX" mean today? I'm only familiar with two uses: (a) a marker for explicit adult content; and (b) the title of a Vin Diesel film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2020 at 3:45 PM, Mr. Know-It-All said:

Boil the Ocean.  It just doesn't get any more business cliche than that.

First I've seen of this one. What does it mean?

EDIT: Dang, there was an article saying "boil the ocean" was tired in flippin' 2019 :(  I swear, reading the last few pages of this thread is like stepping out of a time machine.

So this is what happens if you don't do Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.? You just miss a ton?

I got tripped up recently on the "Bernie Sanders in a chair with mittens" meme. It was maybe 5 or 6 days after the Inauguration, I didn't know what the picture was, and the other people on the forum acted like I'd never heard of "The United States" or "Babe Ruth" or "pizza". How does stuff get so widespread so fast? I know "Internet" ... but it wasn't like this in, say, the earlyto-mid 2000s, and the Net was active then, too.

Edited by Doug B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

What does "XXX" mean today? I'm only familiar with two uses: (a) a marker for explicit adult content; and (b) the title of a Vin Diesel film.

Just a variable.

people will list a thing or place “for the win.”

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:
7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

What does "XXX" mean today? I'm only familiar with two uses: (a) a marker for explicit adult content; and (b) the title of a Vin Diesel film.

Just a variable.

people will list a thing or place “for the win.”

Like what "X marks the spot" used to be?

I don't think I quite follow ... I'll look it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2021 at 7:43 AM, IvanKaramazov said:

For some reason, I'm noticing a big uptick in emails that begin with "I hope this email finds you well."  If this came from a complete stranger, I would write it off as an awkward attempt at a  neutral/professional-sounding salutation, but these are people who I've worked with for years.  What's wrong with "Good morning, Ivan" or "Hi, Dr. Karamazov" or something like that?  So strange to see people use "I hope this email finds you well" unironically.

I do this at times when reaching out to a former colleague or someone I hadn't kept up with professionally but with whom I still feel like I am on good terms. To me, it's shorthand for "Even though I hadn't kept up with you, and I do want to ask you for a minor favor of some kind, I really do hold esteem for you as a person. Just that life happens, and I can't keep up with everyone."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Doug B said:

What does "XXX" mean today? I'm only familiar with two uses: (a) a marker for explicit adult content; and (b) the title of a Vin Diesel film.

I used that to be a substitution that could replace the player. without naming one. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Snoopy said:
16 minutes ago, Doug B said:

What does "XXX" mean today? I'm only familiar with two uses: (a) a marker for explicit adult content; and (b) the title of a Vin Diesel film.

I used that to be a substitution that could replace the player. without naming one. 

Oh ... dang, I got you now -- your tired of "... for the win" :D 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, DallasDMac said:

I love this thread. It's one of the few things out there right now that make me feel truly blessed in that I have never heard 90% of the things people bring up here.

Preach on :thumbup:  I didn't expect to be this lost on popular lingo for another 15-20 years or so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, DallasDMac said:
On 7/28/2020 at 6:46 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

aren't you around 80 though?  

Close. But I imagine it is tied more to my lack of a FB account.

In a way, Facebook (and I assume other social media) is like another physical country or region or something. It's a virtual "place" with some of the social aspects of a physical place -- written language/lingo/dialects being one such aspect.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2020 at 4:58 PM, Phil Elliott said:

“Socialize” - pretty sure this is a Honda but it has all of a sudden became the word our management is using in every conversation. “Hey Doug, when you talk to ‘client x’, just socialize the plan  for them to give us more advance notice on project resource requests.”

... I'd have to whip out a pithy Samuel L. Jackson quote for them in response. Your management would be playing the role of "Big Kahuna Burger" Bret (or Brad ... whatever that dude's name was).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, Tom Servo said:

I'm going to submit that this one be strangled in the cradle:  TWINDEMIC.

Quote

The term “twindemic” was first introduced—to the general public, at least—by The New York Times in an article published on August 16. The Times credits L.J. Tan, PhD, as an "early promoter of the term." Tan is the chief strategy officer for the Immunization Action Coalition, a nonprofit group that works to increase vaccination rates.

It's just the sort of word that the purveyors of fear porn will use heavily and often, nonstop.

Right effin' on.

And look! Just like in the Southern Hemisphere ... the seasonal flu just dried up and blew away. And the data needed to predict exactly that was at science's fingertips from jump (see Tom's August 2020 link).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...