What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (1 Viewer)

What the heck is this?
~ Stonks is an intentional misspelling of the word "stocks" which is often associated with a surreal meme featuring the character Meme Man standing in front of a picture representing the stock market followed by the caption "Stonks." The picture began seeing use as a reaction image online in jokes about making poor financial decisions. ~

- it's now being used in every conceivable situation to denote something/one being UP or DOWN. 

😡

Last edited by a moderator:
redonkulous.

uber. 

coming of age.

tour de force.what the hell is a tour de force? 

bravo.pretty sure you can just applaud at a theater, you dont need to sound so stuffy arrogant self-absorbed pretentious.

Something to the effect of out of style because you're either trying too hard or you're out of touch.   Wearing a jean jacket is cheugy.  Wearing a leather jacket 5 sizes too big is not.   
The problem with cheugy culture is that it turns into the exact culture it is supposed to be mocking. If you want to stay not cheugy, you actually need to really care about your look. If anything you are wearing becomes too popular, you have to replace it. Also it’s just the typical pattern we have always seen in style and fashion. Cool kids are doing something different and by the time non cool kids and adults are doing it, the cool kids are over it. 

I'm sure I'm just hopelessly out of touch, but could someone explain "a whole mood" to me?

I swear I've never hear or at least noticed it, but I just got a Best Buy mailer and I glanced at the cover before tossing it in the recycling bin.  "Make this year is gonna be a whole mood happen."  What language is that?

(This probably doesn't matter anyway, because if its use was ever in style, it's probably out now that Best Buy is using it in their advertising.)

"Make this year is gonna be a whole mood happen."
That's confusing as heck without the color clues. They use the phrase "this year is gonna be a whole mood" as one noun -- Make X happen:

Make 'this year is gonna be a whole mood' happen

Don't feel bad, though ... I've never run across "whole mood", either.

EDIT: BestBuy also uses the slogan: 

Make meeting up with your friends for a break from the grind happen

EDIT2: Here's a clear explanation:

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/261759/what-does-a-whole-mood-mean

EDIT3: Better explanation

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/what-is-big-mood/

I hadn't realized how much Black Twitter (yes, it's a thing) initiates social-media slang. I first heard about BT a few years ago searching for the origin of "Netflix and chill."

Man, when you're not on social media ... you miss A LOT.

That's confusing as heck without the color clues. They use the phrase "this year is gonna be a whole mood" as one noun -- Make X happen:

Make 'this year is gonna be a whole mood' happen
Yeah, I'm sorry I forgot to note the first and last words were yellow. Thanks for pointing that out.  But the funny thing was I couldn't make sense of it at all with or without the color clues since I didn't know 'whole mood' was a thing.

People referring to their kids as "the littles."
My sister uses this to refer to her younger kids, specifically in cases where my and her older kids are asked to be careful when playing, since the younger ones aren’t quite on their speed and/or development. I don’t have an issue with the term, honestly.

My sister uses this to refer to her younger kids, specifically in cases where my and her older kids are asked to be careful when playing, since the younger ones aren’t quite on their speed and/or development. I don’t have an issue with the term, honestly.
It sounds a bit Disney to me- and not in a good way.

team work makes the dream work

Throat punch worthy.
Wait, are there people who actually say this unironically?

If you ever hear it from me, I can stone-cold guarantee I'm making fun of inspirational glurge
Someone said this to me in an email yesterday.  He did preface by saying it was "cheesy," but that doesn't let him off the hook.

I didn't come in the thread to report that, though.  I came in to see if "popcorn" has been discussed regarding its usage in meetings?  For anyone not having the pleasure to experience it, it's a way of passing the baton.  For instance, yesterday in a meeting our "icebreaker" was to talk about how you cool off in the summer.*  When each person is done talking, they "popcorn" to someone else in the room by naming them as the next to go.

*Icebreakers in meetings are dumb, too.

Someone said this to me in an email yesterday.  He did preface by saying it was "cheesy," but that doesn't let him off the hook.

I didn't come in the thread to report that, though.  I came in to see if "popcorn" has been discussed regarding its usage in meetings?  For anyone not having the pleasure to experience it, it's a way of passing the baton.  For instance, yesterday in a meeting our "icebreaker" was to talk about how you cool off in the summer.*  When each person is done talking, they "popcorn" to someone else in the room by naming them as the next to go.

Did you throat punch him anyways?

And this popcorn thing....  Is it like they actually say, "I popcorn to Krista?"

I hope you just casually got up, opened up a window and jumped.....

Users who are viewing this thread