What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

Aerial Assault said:
"No worries." Now in virtually universal usage. Began as a sub for the somewhat-off (but not utterly obnoxious) "no problem," and now seems to have expanded in deployment. I offered to help a woman at the post office a few days ago who was confused about how to do something and got "no worries" in response. WTF? I wasn't "worried;" you were. Saying "no worries" to someone in any context, though, is basically the same as saying "relax" or "calm down," when the recipient is hardly ever manifesting any anxiety at all.

Awful.
I say "No Worries" in place of "No Problem" all the time :shrug:

Aerial Assault said:
Saying "no worries" to someone in any context, though, is basically the same as saying "relax" or "calm down," when the recipient is hardly ever manifesting any anxiety at all.

Awful.
No it isnt

Aerial Assault said:
"No worries." Now in virtually universal usage. Began as a sub for the somewhat-off (but not utterly obnoxious) "no problem," and now seems to have expanded in deployment. I offered to help a woman at the post office a few days ago who was confused about how to do something and got "no worries" in response. WTF? I wasn't "worried;" you were. Saying "no worries" to someone in any context, though, is basically the same as saying "relax" or "calm down," when the recipient is hardly ever manifesting any anxiety at all.

Awful.
The no problem annoys me.

At a restaurant:

Me: Can I have a glass of water?

Waitress: No problem

I know it's not a problem.

"The Walking Dead"

Aerial Assault said:
Awful.
I purposely switched from No Problem to No Worries after hearing it all the time in Australia. Sounds better to me.

answering a query with the word "again"

question: "what's the plan for X?"

answer: "again, we are going to...."

Subliminally you mean "I told you already you dumb POS, listen next time"

It's fine if you are actually repeating yourself from a recent statement. But people will use "again" when they are reiterating something they said weeks ago to different people. Or sometimes when it's something they've never said. They used it to sound like they are thinking ahead of everyone else.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
So by that rationale, does "no problem" imply there was a problem to begin with?

answering a query with the word "again"

question: "what's the plan for X?"

answer: "again, we are going to...."

Subliminally you mean "I told you already you dumb POS, listen next time"

It's fine if you are actually repeating yourself from a recent statement. But people will use "again" when they are reiterating something they said weeks ago to different people. Or sometimes when it's something they've never said. They used it to sound like they are thinking ahead of everyone else.
Shart on their desk. Make your scent known.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
That's just improper usage of "no worries" by that lady. I agree with your sentiment in that context. I don't think I even say "no worries" in normal dialogue, but you can't retire a phrase because a lady at the post office misused it.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
Same.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
Same.
First heard "No Worries" about 1990 in Australia, usually followed by a ", Mate". It's a semi-literal response to anything that might otherwise illicit a "I'm sorry", "My bad" or "De Nada". I'm glad it's caught on. It represents a culture that isn't crawling all over itself to be annoyed about something like someone saying to them, "No Worries"

Last edited by a moderator:
SacramentoBob said:
Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
This is pretty much the fault of Australians.
I know. But they don't say it nearly as often, or at least my two Aussie friends don't.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
So by that rationale, does "no problem" imply there was a problem to begin with?
Yes; I mildly dislike "no problem" for that exact reason. But some a$$hat somewhere decided that "no worries" sounded cool and it spread like a loathsome disease. I'm hoping it has about the same lifespan as the similarly-themed "it's all good." I'm just not sure why there's any need for a faux-hipster substitute for "you're welcome" or "sure" or "you got it."

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
Same.
First heard "No Worries" about 1990 in Australia, usually followed by a ", Mate". It's a semi-literal response to anything that might otherwise illicit a "I'm sorry", "My bad" or "De Nada". I'm glad it's caught on. It represents a culture that isn't crawling all over itself to be annoyed about something like someone saying to them, "No Worries"
:lmao: Worries!

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
That's just improper usage of "no worries" by that lady. I agree with your sentiment in that context. I don't think I even say "no worries" in normal dialogue, but you can't retire a phrase because a lady at the post office misused it.
Agreed, but that was just one example of people clamoring to use a particular phrase that they think sounds cool, and not even using it in its "proper" manner. Sorry, but I hate it. No worries, though.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
:goodposting:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've had a few people send me "kk" instead of "ok" in instant messaging. First time I just assumed it was a typo. Then it started happening more often from this one individual. Really? Is it the much extra effort to type and "o" instead of a "k"? Also, the one person who uses it all the time is a dude. I want to stand up and walk to the other end of the building where he sits, slap him in the face and scream "You can act like a man!". Drives me ####### insane.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I've had a few people send me "kk" instead of "ok" in instant messaging. First time I just assumed it was a typo. Then it started happening more often from this one individual. Really? Is it the much extra effort to type and "o" instead of a "k"? Also, the one person who uses it all the time is a dude. I want to stand up and walk to the other end of the building where he sits, slap him in the face and scream "You can act like a man!". Drives me ####### insane.
It's online gaming slang, sort of a quasi-military way of communicating "message received and understood." Agreed that it makes little sense, and usage outside of an in-game chat, at work in your case, is silly.

It's online gaming slang, sort of a quasi-military way of communicating "message received and understood." Agreed that it makes little sense, and usage outside of an in-game chat, at work in your case, is silly.
So this guy must be a gamer. Kind of makes sense. Is there something I can reply with to mess with him? Outside of "stop it you gamer nerd"?

So this guy must be a gamer. Kind of makes sense. Is there something I can reply with to mess with him? Outside of "stop it you gamer nerd"?
Hit him with "no worries" in response each time.

Beej was a big fan of this.

Aerial Assault said:

Awful.
Same.
When I was there last April, I always received a no worries reply to my thank you. Never once heard you're welcome, always a "no worries, mate."

Selfie...

Stop being such an insecure little #####!!!
And what does it have to do with insecurity?
Hey look I took this picture of myself and shared it with my online friends... How many likes did I get on this sweet selfie?
Ahhh, gotcha. This thread is about terms and phrases...there's another one for trends and actions. HTH.
Selfie is a term that needs to be retired :thumbup:

Selfie...

Hey look I took this picture of myself and shared it with my online friends... How many likes did I get on this sweet selfie?
Ahhh, gotcha. This thread is about terms and phrases...there's another one for trends and actions. HTH.
What do you call them?

Selfie...

What do you call them?
Self portrait :shrug:

Selfie...

What do you call them?
Self portrait :shrug:
A little outdated there, Van Gogh

Ilov80s said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Ilov80s said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
"Don't do anything I wouldn't do!!!"

What the he-yell does that mean?

So I shouldn't do something someone else wouldn't do?

What are they talking about???

Hate that.
It's tongue in cheek or is supposed to be at least.
Geesh, that's another one - why is the tongue in the cheek?
Old timey thing.
People used to say all kinds of stupid things. In a few years those people won't be around.

This is kind of a combined phrase and action that needs to be retired.

People who are in the middle of massive change in their life (potential job loss, etc) and sit back and say "I'll wait for god to tell me what to do". He wants you to look for a new job ####### or did you think seeing 25% of your coworkers in other depts get pink slips wasn't some kind of sign.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do!!!"

What the he-yell does that mean?

So I shouldn't do something someone else wouldn't do?

What are they talking about???

Hate that.
It's tongue in cheek or is supposed to be at least.
Geesh, that's another one - why is the tongue in the cheek?
Old timey thing.
People used to say all kinds of stupid things. In a few years those people won't be around.
Then it will just be us left saying stupid things.

Users who are viewing this thread