What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (5 Viewers)

'Passed away' or even worse the shortened version, 'Passed'.
I strongly disagree with this. What's your reasoning?
Yes, explain yourself cstu!
The sanitizing of death bothers me, that's about it. People don't 'pass away', they die. Pass away makes it seem like they floated off into space or something.
I think that's mostly used in mixed company to be polite. You need to have some kind of soft phrase for death around people you don't know well.

'Passed away' or even worse the shortened version, 'Passed'.
I strongly disagree with this. What's your reasoning?
Yes, explain yourself cstu!
The sanitizing of death bothers me, that's about it. People don't 'pass away', they die. Pass away makes it seem like they floated off into space or something.
I think that's mostly used in mixed company to be polite. You need to have some kind of soft phrase for death around people you don't know well.
Agreed, I am usually for being direct, but there is something coarse about telling a person that a loved one has died. For all we know, they may have floated off somewhere. Many people believe in an afterlife and if it exists, then death is indeed a passing on to another phase of existence. Even if their is no afterlife, the person has passed from real to a collective memory. To say, "pass on" is empathetic at most and compassionate at the least. Sanitizing death isn't telling one's sister that their mother has passed away. The sanitizing of death happens when people send off their sick mother to the hospital so she can die there. If the dying are out out of sight they become less of a burden on the living for the living our busy living and least of all want to be reminded that they won't always be so busy or so living.

Using a letter to describe a word. The N word, the R word, if you a female the C word. It is ridiculous when you think about it. So I say "The R word" but don`t really say it. Then in your mind you process it and say the actual word to yourself. Just say the fu$%^ng word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Guru said:
Using a letter to describe a word. The N word, the R word, if you a female the C word. It is ridiculous when you think about it. So I say "The R word" but don`t really say it. Then in your mind you process it and say the actual word to yourself. Just say the fu$%^ng word.
It's also too bad around here you have to change a word in print in order for people to know exactly which banned word one meant to say.

Da Guru said:
"S" you in your "A's", don't wear "C" and "J" all over your "B's".

"Price point".

This phrase is completely unnecessary. The word "price" is sufficient. What's the difference between saying "I think we should sell these shoes at a lower price point" vs "I think we should sell these shoes at a lower price". No difference at all, other than one of them sounds really douchey. Stop saying price point.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
"Price point".

This phrase is completely unnecessary. The word "price" is sufficient. What's the difference between saying "I think we should sell these shoes at a lower price point" vs "I think we should sell these shoes at a lower price". No difference at all, other than one of them sounds really douchey. Stop saying price point.
this one implies a profit optimization to me. More than picking an arbitrary price that works, it's picking the peak point at the profit curve that fits the criteria being referenced... I'm sure it's misused, though.

Awesome Sauce
Can you use it in a sentence please Kee?
That IS the sentence.

Girl One: Keerock just blew his load on my back

Girl Two: Awesome Sauce!
Awesome sauce has become the go-to "I'm saying it ironically because I know it is stupid" phrase both at home and at work. Like a Pavlovian dog, whenever I hear the phrase, I instantly think of this usage. Thanks Kee!
You couldn't be more welcome. Make sure you describe it to the user in that way!

"Price point".

this one implies a profit optimization to me. More than picking an arbitrary price that works, it's picking the peak point at the profit curve that fits the criteria being referenced... I'm sure it's misused, though.
It's a legitimate phrase in the microeconomic context along the lines you mention (where $4 can be a price without being a price point), but business people almost always use it as a synonym for price, which needs to stop.

Posterize

Sorry but Tony Wroten is not getting his poster made, nor the 3rd string backup for the Knicks who had one good dunk that was most likely a charge anyway.

There would be a sea of unused posters if one was made every time I heard this on sports and basketball shows. Drives me nutso.

Awesome Sauce
Can you use it in a sentence please Kee?
That IS the sentence.

Girl One: Keerock just blew his load on my back

Girl Two: Awesome Sauce!
Awesome sauce has become the go-to "I'm saying it ironically because I know it is stupid" phrase both at home and at work. Like a Pavlovian dog, whenever I hear the phrase, I instantly think of this usage. Thanks Kee!
You couldn't be more welcome. Make sure you describe it to the user in that way!
I actually told my wife your comments from this thread. She still uses it...in front of our kids. If they only knew...

sho nuff said:
"keep us updated on your" bracket...fantasy team...bets...

It always comes off as an extremely toolish response.
Stop posting about your stupid team in your stupid league that no one cares about and you won't hear it anymore.

"Price point".

It's a legitimate phrase in the microeconomic context along the lines you mention (where $4 can be a price without being a price point), but business people almost always use it as a synonym for price, which needs to stop.
I'd be interested to see an example where "price point" is necessary because "price" is not sufficient. I'd love to not hate the term price point, but I need to know it's a necessary term and not just douchery.

"Scrub" when referring to looking something over and/or fixing it... let me "scrub" this quote/proposal/application/list and Ill send it right over. Dumb buzzword people use to sound important.

Recently I was in a .NET class where the instructor, who is from California, must have said "groovy" 100 times during a virtual class. I thought that went out in the 60s? This guy was 30 something. Are you telling me people from that state are still stuck in the 60s?

Recently I was in a .NET class where the instructor, who is from California, must have said "groovy" 100 times during a virtual class. I thought that went out in the 60s? This guy was 30 something. Are you telling me people from that state are still stuck in the 60s?
No we aren't and I don't know where he is coming from. I have lived in LA all my life and I can't remember the last time I have heard anyone use that word (it was considered archaic 30 years ago).

This one bugs me, too. I just don't do it. How can there be a rational discussion of something we can't even say?

I try to say it only once per conversation rather than 100 times, but I like 'groovy' a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread