What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (3 Viewers)

B Maverick said:
nirad3 said:
Heard a new one last week and wasnt going to look through to find it here so Ill post...

Efforting

As in he is efforting his way through traffic to get here. What is that?
Thought this was a radio show thing, but maybe it's made its way out into the cooltalk lexicon?

boots on the ground
Yeah get that one a lot in real estate development.

Got this gem from the lady I report to a couple times recently: "I've slept since then". Background: asking her if we should move forward with a consultant's proposal, she asks if she's seen it, I forward it to her with the email I sent her 2 weeks ago and she says "Oh right... I've slept since then.". TF?
If you were listening to Petros and Money thats where I heard it. Is it only radio fun?
I've heard it elsewhere; Dan Patrick show for instance.

B Maverick said:
nirad3 said:
Heard a new one last week and wasnt going to look through to find it here so Ill post...

Efforting

As in he is efforting his way through traffic to get here. What is that?
Thought this was a radio show thing, but maybe it's made its way out into the cooltalk lexicon?

boots on the ground
Yeah get that one a lot in real estate development.

Got this gem from the lady I report to a couple times recently: "I've slept since then". Background: asking her if we should move forward with a consultant's proposal, she asks if she's seen it, I forward it to her with the email I sent her 2 weeks ago and she says "Oh right... I've slept since then.". TF?
If you were listening to Petros and Money thats where I heard it. Is it only radio fun?
No - its consultant-speak. Almost everything in here I first heard come out of the mouths of consulting company people. When you hear the first few times, it sometimes ( ...sometimes) doesn't sound too bad, creative even. When you hear it repeated months and years later from vapid, empty-headed posers that love to rattle off meaningless "business-speak" to sound professional ...it makes you want to pull their tongue out.

You guys have never heard "I've slept since then"?
:no:
Interesting. I hear it quite a bit.
What does it mean?
It means "I don't remember".

Usually said by someone when confronted with a question about something that happened or was discussed weeks or months ago.
That's horruble
I'm not defending it, just educating the masses here.

I forgot to add it's usually said in a subtle smart-### tone. It's really just a passive-aggressive way to say "you really expect me to remember that? Give me a break".

What does it mean?

Usually said by someone when confronted with a question about something that happened or was discussed weeks or months ago.
That's horruble
I'm not defending it, just educating the masses here.

I forgot to add it's usually said in a subtle smart-### tone. It's really just a passive-aggressive way to say "you really expect me to remember that? Give me a break".
Yes, I do. Otherwise, I wouldn't have brought it up, smart ###.

"I've slept since then" sounds like something you would say when someone has a problem and you don't give a rat's ###. Or what the people who have actually heard it have said about its meaning.

Either way, that's pretty rude.

Interesting, because I would have interpreted it as "I've slept on that" meaning I forgot it or haven't been paying attention to it.
Right; that would actually make sense. But it's always used obnoxiously to imply that the questioner is pursuing something of scant importance. It's sort of the same as D_Head's response in this hopefully helpful hypothetical, below:

FFA MEMBER: Hey, do you have Important Document X?

D_HEAD: I have a life.

Interesting, because I would have interpreted it as "I've slept on that" meaning I forgot it or haven't been paying attention to it.
Right; that would actually make sense. But it's always used obnoxiously to imply that the questioner is pursuing something of scant importance. It's sort of the same as D_Head's response in this hopefully helpful hypothetical, below:

FFA MEMBER: Hey, do you have Important Document X?

D_HEAD: I have a life.
Oh. Well then people who use this should be punched in the throat.

"You know" placed in every sentence when someone is talking to you. Every single sentence....really?

No, mother ####er, I don't know. That is why we're talking.

What does it mean?

That's really stupid because there's an important connection between sleep and memory. You'd be a lot more likely to forget something if you hadn't slept since then.

To sleep on something ("Let me sleep on it and I'll get back to you") means to consider it attentively. The phrase that would better fit your interpretation is "I haven't sleep on that."

ETA: As I typed that, I realized that there's another sense of sleeping on something that means the opposite: "Don't sleep on Sammy Watkins." This just proves that the people who invented the English language were, by and large, morons.

Last edited by a moderator:
To sleep on something ("Let me sleep on it and I'll get back to you") means to consider it attentively. The phrase that would better fit your interpretation is "I haven't sleep on that."

ETA: As I typed that, I realized that there's another sense of sleeping on something that means the opposite: "Don't sleep on Sammy Watkins." This just proves that the people who invented the English language were, by and large, morons.
Or as a famous cartoon rabbit would say, "maroons".

Yeah, I meant it in the latter sense. But I only came to that interpretation based on context clues.

Yeah, I meant it in the latter sense. But I only came to that interpretation based on context clues.
this phrase is making me angry.

you've slept since then? really? I've ####ed your mother since then- how about them apples.

eta: could be because I haven't gotten enough sleep.

this phrase is making me angry.

you've slept since then? really? I've ####ed your mother since then- how about them apples.

eta: could be because I haven't gotten enough sleep.
this phrase is making me angry

:kramer:

I generally don't like to nitpick (especially people much smarter than I), but I think instead of invent, you mean "continue to use and alter" instead. For example, the evolution and new definition of "literally."

For example, the evolution and new definition of "literally."
Literally doesn't have a "new definition". It means what it means. There are a bunch of cretins that use it improperly, but, so far, their stupidity hasn't been formally accepted. Hopefully it never will be.

From the Oxford Dictionary:

Usage: In its standard use, literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a nonliteral or exaggerated sense’: I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn’t expect him to take it literally. In recent years, an extended use of literally (and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in nonliteral contexts, for added effect: they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects ( we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal English.

This whole debate is putting me to sleep. If you need me, I'll be over there making fun of Ben Carson and the Alabama Supreme Court.

I also have never heard "I've slept since then". However, I recently was present for a telephonic conference my college roommate, who is now in upper management, had to attend remotely. The amount of buzzwords and charged phrases he used 1) sounded like a foreign language to me, and 2) was absolutely sickening.

Give me latin phrases any day over "boots on the ground" or whatever the current team-speak management professionals are currently using.

Also, I'm going to toss out: "at the end of the day". Hearing that a ton lately in many spheres of life. I get it. You're concerned with the final result.

The English language is literally one of the most difficult and complicated languages. It's great for writers, but for dumb people or kids trying to learn to read. It likely plays a role in why other cultures move faster at basic reading.

The English language is literally one of the most difficult and complicated languages. It's great for writers, but for dumb people or kids trying to learn to read. It likely plays a role in why other cultures move faster at basic reading.
so true. the romance languages are pretty much hard-set with rules about phonetics and spelling. English?

while my son was learning to read, I showed him the word "ghoti" and told him everything would be alright... eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread