What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (2 Viewers)

I know I'm getting old, and thus, am annoyed by current slang and basically how everyone else not in my age group talks.  But this is something that has permeated even my age group that I personally find grating.

Instead of saying "no thank you" -- or heck, even just "no" -- to a question (usually one where the person is offered something), the response is now "I'm good".  You're good?  At what?  :wall: .... and please get off my lawn.
I've got a better one...

"Would you like something to drink?"

"No thank you.  I'm fine."

"Are you sure?  I've got water, soda, tea..."

"Oh thank you anyway but I'm OK."

"Are you really sure?  I mean it's no trouble at all."

"Yeah.  Thanks again but I'm good."

I said "no thank you".  Leave me alone.  If I wanted something to drink I would have accepted the first time or asked for it myself.

I've got a better one...

"Would you like something to drink?"

"No thank you.  I'm fine."

"Are you sure?  I've got water, soda, tea..."

"Oh thank you anyway but I'm OK."

"Are you really sure?  I mean it's no trouble at all."

"Yeah.  Thanks again but I'm good."

I said "no thank you".  Leave me alone.  If I wanted something to drink I would have accepted the first time or asked for it myself.
Agree with this, but I hope you don't live in Minnesota or have a doting mother, because in either of those situations these kinds of interactions are unavoidable.

Agree with this, but I hope you don't live in Minnesota or have a doting mother, because in either of those situations these kinds of interactions are unavoidable.
Right.  I just don't get the mindset.  

Me:. Would you like something to drink? I've got water, beer, soda...

Guest: No thank you

Me:  Ok.  If you change your mind the fridge is right over there

OK sure, circle back.... do we like that better than "Follow up" (or worse "circle around")?
I think I've used it a few times but not in my normal email lexicon. 

Edit:  Just ran a search in my sent items at work.  10 times in the past 2 years.  :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Pickles said:
Horrible. 
Eh.

It's been around my workplace for years. Most of my projects are scheduled in week long increments, up to 3 months in advance and color coded on a group calendar (colors designate the type of assignment). For us it makes sense because an unscheduled week remains truly 'white'.  Even time off has a color. 

Eh.

It's been around my workplace for years. Most of my projects are scheduled in week long increments, up to 3 months in advance and color coded on a group calendar (colors designate the type of assignment). For us it makes sense because an unscheduled week remains truly 'white'.  Even time off has a color. 
That doesn't make it any better.  Just stop.  Use English.

I can't escape "ask".  It is spreading through my company like a plague.
Just give a blank stare to the next person that does it.  If you have to say "I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean."  When they "clarify" say "oh! You mean you have a question!". And then go on professionally.

If it is an email, reply with "I'm sorry but did you mean to say 'task'?"  

Either way, don't be sarcastic or condescending (that means to talk down to people).  

I use this tactic all the time when dealing with parents.  "I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I understand (it's hard sometimes to communicate through email) but do you want me to excuse Jayedunn from the test because he had a baseball tournament in Oregon in November?"

High Pri.

"We were in a meeting this morning, discussing project issues, and this was labeled as high pri."

I hope that I win the lottery, so that I can go in to work on Monday and smack this guy.  Open handed.  Across the face.

High Pri.

"We were in a meeting this morning, discussing project issues, and this was labeled as high pri."

I hope that I win the lottery, so that I can go in to work on Monday and smack this guy.  Open handed.  Across the face.
Anytime he uses this, reply with "high what?" and get other people to do it. When he has to reply to several people every time he uses it, the problem will solve itself.

Just give a blank stare to the next person that does it.  If you have to say "I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean."  When they "clarify" say "oh! You mean you have a question!". And then go on professionally.

If it is an email, reply with "I'm sorry but did you mean to say 'task'?"  

Either way, don't be sarcastic or condescending (that means to talk down to people).  

I use this tactic all the time when dealing with parents.  "I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I understand (it's hard sometimes to communicate through email) but do you want me to excuse Jayedunn from the test because he had a baseball tournament in Oregon in November?"
:lmao:

When in the HELL dd my co-workers because my freaking customers!!

From the head of IT: "We have to take care of our customers."

1/2 our customers are idiots who are unqualified for their jobs. This is because the company doesn't want to pay decent salaries and hence IT has to suffer from that ignorance. We get about 20 tickets a month over lost documents and simple simple stuff that a well trained monkey could do. 

When in the HELL dd my co-workers because my freaking customers!!

From the head of IT: "We have to take care of our customers."

1/2 our customers are idiots who are unqualified for their jobs. This is because the company doesn't want to pay decent salaries and hence IT has to suffer from that ignorance. We get about 20 tickets a month over lost documents and simple simple stuff that a well trained monkey could do. 
You hiring?

Just got off a call where I heard a new one:  "doorknob questions"

These are, apparently, the questions you think of when you are heading out the door after a meeting or appointment, as in your hand is on the doorknob to leave and then you think of one more question.

:X

In my profession this means 'unscheduled time' as in 'I could help you, I have whitespace that week.'  Also could mean having a slightly lighter load for a week/month and can help on other projects.
Hmmm, in my job people use this to mean a geographic area that is undeveloped in terms of whatever we're trying to put there.  

Just got off a call where I heard a new one:  "doorknob questions"

These are, apparently, the questions you think of when you are heading out the door after a meeting or appointment, as in your hand is on the doorknob to leave and then you think of one more question.

:X
Well if that person has some windshield time they could easily circle back and ping them.

I have to admit that I've used "circle back"

And I don't think I can stop.

Probably not that common but it is terrible.  I've seen people on social media refer to pit bulls as "pibbles".

Users who are viewing this thread