What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (1 Viewer)

" Conflate / Conflated  / Conflating "

and

" Canard "

These used to be perfectly good words.   This political season has ruined both of them.   you can fast forward to 2038 and the second I hear some cockbreath use "conflate" in the middle of debate, I'm going to flash back to a Clinton/Trump should-have-shutup-about-an-hour-ago windbag session from 22 year prior.   

and

" Canard "

These used to be perfectly good words.   This political season has ruined both of them.   you can fast forward to 2038 and the second I hear some cockbreath use "conflate" in the middle of debate, I'm going to flash back to a Clinton/Trump should-have-shutup-about-an-hour-ago windbag session from 22 year prior.   
Prescient.

and

" Canard "

Fantsy-tantsy

"that (insert name) is pretty good!"

as in praising an athlete who is already recognized as a ####### beast

someone pulled it after Bolt won the 200m the other night ( 'THIS JUST IN -THAT BOLT GUY IS PRETTY FAST!!1!1!')

- just stop  :thumbdown:

My entire life, I've never heard anyone say 'heighth'  - until this year. 

I've heard it used at least 6 times already this year - Friend, youtube video, Olympic coverage, etc..

I'm pretty sure it's not even a word.

"Please state your heighth and weighth"

1.  "Hot take."  Really just means that the person using the term finds the "take" to be out of step with the person's own opinions, and has little to do with the speed at which the "take" is delivered.  Also, I said this in some other thread, but when I find myself reacting to breaking news, I don't always require days or weeks of careful musing and pinpoint, nuanced draftsmanship to express a few halfway coherent thoughts.  

2.  "Game script."  This is apparently going to be the new "in" word to refer to how a given fantasy football player fits into various real-life offensive schemes.  The term itself isn't wrong in terms of usage, but somehow we managed to get by without it for some 18-20 seasons, and now it's ubiquitous.  

3.  "Sure, Demaryius Thomas will get his, but Emmanuel Sanders is gonna eat."  Just horrible and must be killed before it multiplies.    

How about sports announcers or talk show hosts who refer to individuals in plural form. The Ruths, the Aarons, ect. Why not just say Ruth and Aaron?

Said it before but reminded of it earlier this week.  Talking about NFL players as "shares" in fantasy talk.  Example:  "I'm glad I didn't have any shares of Teddy Bridgewater this season".

Shut up.
this thread is always an eye-opener for me... people really say this? how would that even work, anyways? yeah... teddy threw for 3 TDs today, but I'm only a shareholder, so I get... what.. 2.3 pts total.

So the reason I called you here was to update you about the storm

What direction is the storm heading?

So the storm is tracking to the east.

What time will it make landfall?

So it should make landfall around 8:00 pm.
An excellent posting.  I complained about this upthread.

Just stop doing this.

With the fantasy football ones being discussed, I imagine "to many mouths to feed" is in here somewhere. But I had to mention it because whoever says this should be killed on the spot. Absolute worst of the worst

Last edited by a moderator:
With the fantasy football ones being discussed, I imagine "to many mouths to feed" is in here somewhere. But I had to mention it because whoever says this should be killed on the spot. Absolute worst of the worst
Agree.  Related to the "X will get his, but Y is gonna eat" trash that I referred to a few posts up.  It (and the "mouths to feed" atrocity) was really big on Rotoworld last season, but they seem to have moved on.  Still worth a mention just in case, I deem.   

Right, so, the reason I called you here was to update you about the storm

What direction is the storm heading?

Right, so, the storm is tracking to the east.

What time will it make landfall?

Right, so, it should make landfall around 8:00 pm.
strangle me

How about sports announcers or talk show hosts who refer to individuals in plural form. The Ruths, the Aarons, ect. Why not just say Ruth and Aaron?
because they're comparing them to other people in their pantheon.   they aren't comparing to just a single player, but players of a particular type.

HTH.

because they're comparing them to other people in their pantheon.   they aren't comparing to just a single player, but players of a particular type.

HTH.
But there was only one Babe Ruth, one Hank Aaron, one Mickie Mantle. Can't the comparisons take place without referring to people in plural form?

"He's as dominate as Ruth, Aaron, and Mantle". Or "He's as dominate as the Ruths, the Aarons, and the Mantles".  

Users who are viewing this thread