Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately

15 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

This has now found its way into education as in "let's unpack these state standards".

This is a typical state standard:  "Students will be able to understand the causes and consequences of the War of 1812"

So now we have to fill out a form that "unpacks" what the standard is really asking for.   Of course  the hidden meaning behind "Students will be able to understand the causes and consequences of the War of 1812" is ""Students will be able to understand the causes and consequences of the War of 1812".

The form we fill out has 6 different steps.  The 6th step asks us to explain how we know the student successfully mastered the standard.  

So "students will be able to understand the causes and consequences of the War of 1812" can be broken down into "students will be able to understand 3 causes of the War of 1812 and 3 consequences of the War of 1812".  

Paradigms are shifting, my friends.

not even one of the more well known wars iwbh

1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:
@John_Quaintance

As a public service, here are the two boards from the Workaholics writer's room of comedy phrases that need to be retired, started season 2. https://t.co/DHZqhqU5D5

:goodposting:

I use too many of those, although I haven't gotten to use "who hurt you" yet.

10 minutes ago, VandyMan said:

35 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I kind of like Lady Boner though.

And right on queue, the FedEx guy just called my coworker "Miss Boner".  Simply misread her last name.  I can handle "lady boner" if it doesn't get too much exposure.

paging @Sweatpants Boner Man

On 12/13/2016 at 8:43 AM, Northern Voice said:
@John_Quaintance

As a public service, here are the two boards from the Workaholics writer's room of comedy phrases that need to be retired, started season 2. https://t.co/DHZqhqU5D5

On 12/13/2016 at 10:04 AM, El Floppo said:

:goodposting:

I use too many of those, although I haven't gotten to use "who hurt you" yet.

It's a good guide if you want to be original but there's a much higher bar for comedy writers than for just folks. It's obvious from watching virtually any comedy out there that there are writers who dont care about being hacks, but "hacky" is the first word the good ones use at each other to keep it on edge. Still & all, most of those there have some funny left in em for us and even the most wildly original writers know they gotta ground the audience with some familiarity to keep a rhythm.

18 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

It's a good guide if you want to be original but there's a much higher bar for comedy writers than for just folks. It's obvious from watching virtually any comedy out there that there are writers who dont care about being hacks, but "hacky" is the first word the good ones use at each other to keep it on edge. Still & all, most of those there have some funny left in em for us and even the most wildly original writers know they gotta ground the audience with some familiarity to keep a rhythm.

I don't know, I think most of them are pretty played out and/or cringeworthy. 

23 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I don't know, I think most of them are pretty played out and/or cringeworthy. 

Cringeworthy, bad, but "played" is still often a goer. Like, i been putting 'free-range' in front of stuff for years and get multihoots every####intime. Played to me, hacky to guys who do the funny, but gold is gold.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Willie Neslon said:

"#### you 2016". People died in 2015 and will continue to die next year. Every time a famous person dies there's about a million tweets saying fu 2016. Stop.

Yup, and look at the list of famous people who died in 2016. The majority of them had past drug addiction or past health issues. It's not like all of them lived perfectly healthy lives.

3 minutes ago, Willie Neslon said:

"#### you 2016". People died in 2015 and will continue to die next year. Every time a famous person dies there's about a million tweets saying fu 2016. Stop.

40,000 people die each day (1/3 children) from the simple inability to sustain life. Never will i get people's personal interest-unto-involvement in popular tragedies of strangers without suffering for these souls.

That said, 2016 has had a very Roman feel and the death of many cultural icons underscores that.

5 minutes ago, Peyton Marino said:

fam is lit.

"cop" is at least 15 years old.

not even sure what the third one means.

Hell, they all have been around since at least the 60s.

"Fam" as in the Charlie Manson "fam".

"Cop" as in "cop" a hit of this man.  

"Heat" as in the cops - don't bring the heat around man.  

Note:  always use "man" ...it makes it 60s-70s man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

yea, I think furley is just bad at this thread.  

12 minutes ago, Peyton Marino said:
16 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

yea, I think furley is just bad at this thread.  

Be groovy or leave, man.

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

The kids are apparently saying "merch" these days which has replaced "bet."  I'm not entirely clear on the context or making, but I have made up my own word, "skerz" which is my pat response to almost anything out of my 15 year olds mouth.

Stop trying to make "skerz" happen. 

It's not going to happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

The kids are apparently saying "merch" these days which has replaced "bet."  I'm not entirely clear on the context or making, but I have made up my own word, "skerz" which is my pat response to almost anything out of my 15 year olds mouth.

Merch is like "swear to god". "Skerz never gonna happen for you, I'll merch on that." Or if your son is like, "I got an A on my test." You can call BS on it and ask for evidence by saying "Merch on it?"

14 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Ya, not trying to make it happen.  Trying to show him how stupid it is to say made up words with random meanings.

I have no idea what it's origin is, but doesn't have a random meaning, like all slang, it has a definite meaning. New words are created all the time, it's how language works. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:
5 hours ago, Hov34 said:

Stop trying to make "skerz" happen. 

It's not going to happen.

Ya, not trying to make it happen.  Trying to show him how stupid it is to say made up words with random meanings.

That's so Fetch.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Merch is like "swear to god". "Skerz never gonna happen for you, I'll merch on that." Or if your son is like, "I got an A on my test." You can call BS on it and ask for evidence by saying "Merch on it?"

I have no idea what it's origin is, but doesn't have a random meaning, like all slang, it has a definite meaning. New words are created all the time, it's how language works. 

I get what you are saying, but I didn't know of it is the short attention span of today's youth, the internet or what, but slang seems to come and go much faster, and with new meanings to words, or made up words. My wife tried to say out was the same thing as "gag me with a spoon" from our youth, but I disagree.

As for the first part, I'd say you're using it wrong and saying that would look pretty lame. The whole response is "merch" by itself, not using it in a more complete phrase, which adds to the stupidity.

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

I get what you are saying, but I didn't know of it is the short attention span of today's youth, the internet or what, but slang seems to come and go much faster, and with new meanings to words, or made up words. My wife tried to say out was the same thing as "gag me with a spoon" from our youth, but I disagree.

As for the first part, I'd say you're using it wrong and saying that would look pretty lame. The whole response is "merch" by itself, not using it in a more complete phrase, which adds to the stupidity.

merch af, fam

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bull Dozier said:

I teach high school with lots of inner city Detroit kids, I know how merch is used. pidd. 

1 minute ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I'd say some in this thread are more street than others, but maybe that word also needs to be retired.

All language should be retired and we go to an emoji/gif based communication.

• Like 3