Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NBA trade deadline thread

Juxtatarot

The trade deadline isn't until February 19 but rumors are starting to heat up. We've seen our first February trade: Adam Morrison to the Lakers for Radmanovic. Hopefully future trades will be more consequential.

At this point, most eyes are on the Suns wondering if they will blow things up. Amare Stoudemire is the big prize. You'd have to think virtually every team is interested. Shaq is also apparently available although his age and salary are too high to be attractive to most teams.

What's going on in Toronto? Will the underperforming Raptors unload Bosh now before he becomes a free agent after next season? Management says they won't but you can't always trust them.

Can the Heat get something good for the expiring contract of Shawn Marion?

Brad Miller of the Kings is available and could help many teams. Any takers?

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a Bulls fan so I naturally follow trade possibilities involving them most.

They are apparently a major player in the Amare sweepstakes. Everyone but Derrick Rose is available. Since the Suns want to save money, an attractive deal they can offer would be something like Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons (expiring contracts), Tyrus Thomas (the Suns are high on him), Thabo Sefolosha and a 1st round pick for Amare. Talent-wise the Bulls would be getting a steal but we know that money often impacts NBA trades more than talent.

The Bulls would love to dump Larry Hughes. He has been a major distraction to the team and a cancer in the locker room. The problem is the Bulls don't want to take on extra salary to move him. This will probably make him impossible to deal.

Andres Nocioni is also available if a team is willing to take on extra salary.

The Warriors are intent on pursuing Suns forward Amare Stoudemire, who appears likely to change addresses before the Feb. 19 trade deadline passes.

"They've gotten very active with the Stoudemire stuff," said one NBA source of Golden State.

If the Warriors aren't able to land Stoudemire, sources also claim that they'll try to get involved with another young big man.

The Warriors are intent on pursuing Suns forward Amare Stoudemire, who appears likely to change addresses before the Feb. 19 trade deadline passes."They've gotten very active with the Stoudemire stuff," said one NBA source of Golden State.If the Warriors aren't able to land Stoudemire, sources also claim that they'll try to get involved with another young big man.

i think amare would be fantastic in nellie's system. it's similar to what he had going under d'antoni. he would clearly be the #1 option in that system. the warriors would give up a bit but they're not going anywhere with the personnel they have now anyway.

Bucks fan - Richard Jefferson is definitely available and the Bucks are probably only looking for an expiring in return. Maybe an expiring and a young player. The Blazers have been believed to be a possible destination. Charlie Villanueva has been on the trade block since last summer but his improved play since the start of the new year may have led the team to now consider keeping him.

In the title you mention Bosh... he is not going anywhere. Not a chance. Stephen A. Smith is full of ####. Not saying Bosh doesn't bolt when he is a free agent, but he sure isn't getting traded this year unless it is for something completely ridiculous.

Raptors on the move:

Anthony Parker (expiring contract and would be a nice backup SG for a contender)

Jermaine O'Neal (for Marion?)

Moon/Graham (cheap expiring deals)

Bargnani (highly doubt it but he is not untouchable)

To me, the Raptors are the most dissapointing team in the NBA. I really expected them in the top 4 this year. I think Chris is tired of playing in Canada (ie Vince,TMac) and will be leaving them when he can. I think it would be smart to get something for Bosh when you still can.

Are there any rumors of Toronto relocating, maybe back to the US? Might be a good move for the franchise.

To me, the Raptors are the most dissapointing team in the NBA. I really expected them in the top 4 this year. I think Chris is tired of playing in Canada (ie Vince,TMac) and will be leaving them when he can. I think it would be smart to get something for Bosh when you still can.Are there any rumors of Toronto relocating, maybe back to the US? Might be a good move for the franchise.

i don't know that he's tired of canada, per se. i do suspect that he's tired of losing and mediocrity. they reached the playoffs the last years but flamed out each time. this was supposed to be the year that they break through and instead they're at the bottom of their division. they don't have a lot of talent to begin with but their bench is wretched.they are in the top 10 of attendance, so i don't see them re-locating anytime soon.

To me, the Raptors are the most dissapointing team in the NBA. I really expected them in the top 4 this year.

I expected them to be much better this season too. But teams who trade T.J. Ford have a curious habit of getting much worse the following season. That's twice now it's happened. I like Jose Calderon a lot but I do think the Raptors were significantly better at PG with the Ford/Calderon duo than they are with just Calderon and scrubs behind him.

Expect the Cavaliers to be involved in talks for any of these players: Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Mike Miller

I could see them having an interest in Jefferson too. They reportedly were still trying to get Michael Redd before he got hurt. They need size in the backcourt and Jefferson would fit the bill. Plus he'd give them a veteran with playoff experience.

Nets reportedly in on Amare sweepstakes offered Yi, Ryan Anderson, Swift (expiring $7M) and 1st rd pickGives Phx 2 young cheap players with lots of upside, cap relief and a good draft pick.

So basically, zero difference makers...no thanks.

Expect the Cavaliers to be involved in talks for any of these players: Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Mike Miller

I could see them having an interest in Jefferson too. They reportedly were still trying to get Michael Redd before he got hurt. They need size in the backcourt and Jefferson would fit the bill. Plus he'd give them a veteran with playoff experience.
What's Jefferson's contract status...he's making $13.2 this year but do you know what he has left on it?

What's Jefferson's contract status...he's making $13.2 this year but do you know what he has left on it?
2 more years...

factoring in chemistry, id rather have Wally than Brad or Mike Miller. If they can get one of the other guys that would be killer.

factoring in chemistry, id rather have Wally than Brad or Mike Miller. If they can get one of the other guys that would be killer.
agree...both Miller's haven't been all that great this yearBeen talk of them moving Wally and bringing him back after 30 days after a buyout.

agree...both Miller's haven't been all that great this yearBeen talk of them moving Wally and bringing him back after 30 days after a buyout.
Isnt the deadline for picking up playoff eligible players the end of this month. Thats when the Knicks are planning on getting rid of Marbury to screw him so he cant play in the playoffs.

Isnt the deadline for picking up playoff eligible players the end of this month. Thats when the Knicks are planning on getting rid of Marbury to screw him so he cant play in the playoffs.
not sure when it is...would love to see that happen though

Are there any rumors of Toronto relocating, maybe back to the US? Might be a good move for the franchise.

they are in the top 10 of attendance, so i don't see them re-locating anytime soon.
Yeah, why the hell would the Raptors move? Toronto is a great basketball market, it's one of the most ethnic cities of the world (same reason it does so well as a soccer market).

To me, the Raptors are the most dissapointing team in the NBA. I really expected them in the top 4 this year. I think Chris is tired of playing in Canada (ie Vince,TMac) and will be leaving them when he can. I think it would be smart to get something for Bosh when you still can.Are there any rumors of Toronto relocating, maybe back to the US? Might be a good move for the franchise.

i don't know that he's tired of canada, per se. i do suspect that he's tired of losing and mediocrity. they reached the playoffs the last years but flamed out each time. this was supposed to be the year that they break through and instead they're at the bottom of their division. they don't have a lot of talent to begin with but their bench is wretched.they are in the top 10 of attendance, so i don't see them re-locating anytime soon.
Bosh IS NOT going anywhere. The team has too many soft aka European type of players. What Toronto should do is move some salary to free up a spot or two for next year. Probably the best players to move would be Parker and Graham. Sure I'm concerned that Bosh might leave in a year, but I know what Colangelo should do. The Raptors should get two Guards in the 2009 draft, that being trade their 2010 for another 2009, which would give the Raptors a better chance to shine in 2009 and to show Bosh that the team is on the way up. They are not a physical team (yet) so they might as well get athletes who can run and gun, and play solid D. Also finally dumping Sam Mitchell was great and Triano is not the answer. Get a HC that Bosh would enjoy playing for and the team will be okay.As for the original quote, Raptors top FOUR? Commmon, what's in that bottle of water you're drinking? They weren't even in my top 4 in the East, going into the season, and that's coming from a Raptor fan.

Zydrunas injured or something?
Cavs desperately need a big...see yesterday's Lakers game as Exhibit A

rumors in detroit for Amare sending Rasheed and Stuckey back

Sure wish they could do it without giving up Stuckey.
stuckey is over rated by all piston fans.You are not going to get a player like Amare by giving up just expiring contracts.
They were just talking about it on The Ticket...the Suns like Stuckey.

they need a legit 4. they do not need another 5. while miller could run a high post because of his passing skills, i don't know that it matters. camby and Z would be a disaster. bmiller and z running a break? good luck with that.

given the options, jamison would be the best of the option shown: proven scorer. rebounder. mobile. not a cancer.

they need a legit 4. they do not need another 5. while miller could run a high post because of his passing skills, i don't know that it matters. camby and Z would be a disaster. bmiller and z running a break? good luck with that.

given the options, jamison would be the best of the option shown: proven scorer. rebounder. mobile. not a cancer.

above Amare? Amare is terrible at defense, but Jamison is worse.

Lebron and Amare together would be sick.

they are in the top 10 of attendance, so i don't see them re-locating anytime soon.
Yeah, why the hell would the Raptors move? Toronto is a great basketball market, it's one of the most ethnic cities of the world (same reason it does so well as a soccer market).
It was his weak attempt to take a shot at me because I'm always trashing Kobe and the Rapers.

Why would he be tired of playing in Canada? Its on par with any major city in the States. The fans are great and the facilities are new and quite nice. Yeah its cold but so is any American city in the North East. Toronto is an awesome city (especially if you're rich) to live in.

Pretty sure the Lakers are not going to be making any moves. Im holding my breath the Celtics, Cavs, and Spurs stay put.

The Spurs are looking for another scorer. They were another team after Redd before he got hurt but they didn't have anything of value to offer for him.
they want/need another big man to pair with duncan. scoring isn't a problem for the spurs. they were counting on mahimi to come up from the nbdl but he's been injured all year. there is almost no chance he'll be ready in time for the playoffs, much less be ready to play the spurs system. they don't have anyone that can rebound or defend the interior beyond duncan. this is acutely felt when timmy is on the bench.also, that interest in redd is - at most - speculative. they are not going to commit to his $15m ($35m for 2 yrs after that). that's not how the spurs work.

Pretty sure the Lakers are not going to be making any moves. Im holding my breath the Celtics, Cavs, and Spurs stay put.

The Spurs are looking for another scorer. They were another team after Redd before he got hurt but they didn't have anything of value to offer for him.
they want/need another big man to pair with duncan. scoring isn't a problem for the spurs. they were counting on mahimi to come up from the nbdl but he's been injured all year. there is almost no chance he'll be ready in time for the playoffs, much less be ready to play the spurs system. they don't have anyone that can rebound or defend the interior beyond duncan. this is acutely felt when timmy is on the bench.
I agree they want another big man. Collison has been someone they're reportedly interested. But I do know they also talked to the Bucks about Redd. The Bucks weren't interested because the Spurs didn't have anything of value to offer. If they were interested in Redd, that leads me to believe they are looking for another scorer.

I agree they want another big man. Collison has been someone they're reportedly interested. But I do know they also talked to the Bucks about Redd. The Bucks weren't interested because the Spurs didn't have anything of value to offer. If they were interested in Redd, that leads me to believe they are looking for another scorer.

that doesn't make much sense to me. redd is a nice scorer but that is about it. he's a ball hog and a defensive liability. he's a poor fit for the system and personnel that SA runs. they don't have much in value but they have a slew of smaller contracts. they aren't opposed to getting into luxury tax territory but it's gotta be for the right player. they are going to be in the same situation next year too. the only difference is the bulk of those small contracts will be expiring. splitter's decision to remain abroad has hurt them. they would be sitting pretty if he was on their roster now.collison would be nice but i'd be just as happy with someone like joe smith.

that doesn't make much sense to me. redd is a nice scorer but that is about it. he's a ball hog and a defensive liability. he's a poor fit for the system and personnel that SA runs. they don't have much in value but they have a slew of smaller contracts. they aren't opposed to getting into luxury tax territory but it's gotta be for the right player. they are going to be in the same situation next year too. the only difference is the bulk of those small contracts will be expiring. splitter's decision to remain abroad has hurt them. they would be sitting pretty if he was on their roster now.
I'm just telling you what I heard and what's been reported. As far as Redd, he isn't a "ball hog." He's one of the best and most diverse scorers in the game and he showed clearly this season he could fit into a system that was more about ball movement and not heavily predicated on him having to take a large number of shots each game. And while he won't win any defensive awards anytime soon, his defense this season had also improved under Skiles.

The Suns aren't going anywhere with their current roster...I'm all for dismantling the team if we can get good value...time to rebuild.

Can you believe we were contending for a title just a couple years ago? Kerr really screwed the pooch on this team...

I sure would love to see Shaq back in LA, but I know that's not on the radar at all.

The Suns have as much talent on paper as anyone but have had trouble getting it all to gel. I mean, Kidd, Shaq, Amare, Richardson...? That's a solid solid set of players. THey shouldn't be struggling for a playoff spot.

I sure would love to see Shaq back in LA, but I know that's not on the radar at all.The Suns have as much talent on paper as anyone but have had trouble getting it all to gel. I mean, Kidd, Shaq, Amare, Richardson...? That's a solid solid set of players. THey shouldn't be struggling for a playoff spot.

They have a major problem at the head coaching position.

The Suns aren't going anywhere with their current roster...I'm all for dismantling the team if we can get good value...time to rebuild.

Can you believe we were contending for a title just a couple years ago? Kerr really screwed the pooch on this team...
Yep - Suns had the best record in the West last season when they dealt Marion for Shaq. Since then, it's been all downhill.

Archived