Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NBA trade deadline thread

Juxtatarot

I sure would love to see Shaq back in LA, but I know that's not on the radar at all.The Suns have as much talent on paper as anyone but have had trouble getting it all to gel. I mean, Kidd, Shaq, Amare, Richardson...? That's a solid solid set of players. THey shouldn't be struggling for a playoff spot.

They have a major problem at the head coaching position.
i don't know that porter is the problem necessarily. they have had to overhaul their entire roster. it would have happened whether or not he was their coach.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure would love to see Shaq back in LA, but I know that's not on the radar at all.The Suns have as much talent on paper as anyone but have had trouble getting it all to gel. I mean, Kidd, Shaq, Amare, Richardson...? That's a solid solid set of players. THey shouldn't be struggling for a playoff spot.

i don't know that porter is the problem necessarily. they have had to overhaul their entire roster. it would have happened whether or not he was their coach.
Porter's not a good head coach. He was in way over his head at the end of his short tenure with the Bucks. There was nothing to suggest he was the right guy for a veteran-laden team with elite aspirations like the Suns. I think that was arguably the biggest mistake Kerr has made.

Porter's not a good head coach. He was in way over his head at the end of his short tenure with the Bucks. There was nothing to suggest he was the right guy for a veteran-laden team with elite aspirations like the Suns. I think that was arguably the biggest mistake Kerr has made.
:goodposting: Porter was a horrible hire.Since the Colangelo's started leaving this team has slowly disintegrated...as a diehard Suns fan it's been tough to stomach.

I sure would love to see Shaq back in LA, but I know that's not on the radar at all.

The Suns have as much talent on paper as anyone but have had trouble getting it all to gel. I mean, Kidd, Shaq, Amare, Richardson...? That's a solid solid set of players. THey shouldn't be struggling for a playoff spot.

I think there's one other that you seem to be forgetting.

I sure would love to see Shaq back in LA, but I know that's not on the radar at all.

The Suns have as much talent on paper as anyone but have had trouble getting it all to gel. I mean, Kidd, Shaq, Amare, Richardson...? That's a solid solid set of players. THey shouldn't be struggling for a playoff spot.

Please, Shaq is the third best Center in the league...and much more valuable in the playoffs than crappy Marion.

Porter is definitely the decision by Kerr, the best decision has been Richardson although he's still figuring out how to fit in...some of that is Porter's fault.

:goodposting: Porter was a horrible hire.Since the Colangelo's started leaving this team has slowly disintegrated...as a diehard Suns fan it's been tough to stomach.
I'd trade Shaq for whomever will take him. Make Nash a player coach for the rest of the season. Keep Amare, and go back to run and shoot basketball.

Please, Shaq is the third best Center in the league...and much more valuable in the playoffs than crappy Marion.
You can't blame Porter for the Suns collapse last year. The Suns went downhill the day they made that trade. Facts are facts.

i think trading for shaq was the signal that things were going to be different. porter's the wrong guy to coach a team with "elite aspirations" but that's really saying more about the phoenix fans than anything. he's fine with veterans but it's not his team. that team was a mess going into the season. it is no surprise to see them struggle. they have to overhaul that team. it's just not pretty to watch a team disintegrate so suddenly. they were *that* close after all.

i'd argue that kerr is the problem and not porter...

i think trading for shaq was the signal that things were going to be different. porter's the wrong guy to coach a team with "elite aspirations" but that's really saying more about the phoenix fans than anything. he's fine with veterans but it's not his team. that team was a mess going into the season. it is no surprise to see them struggle. they have to overhaul that team. it's just not pretty to watch a team disintegrate so suddenly. they were *that* close after all.

I put most of the blame on Kerr for getting fleeced in that trade, but some of the blame has to go to the player who can't/won't adjust his play to fit in with the team. That's a big part of what comes with having Shaq on your team - it's his world, everyone else gets the scraps.

You can't blame Porter for the Suns collapse last year. The Suns went downhill the day they made that trade. Facts are facts.
Last year the trade hurt them...there is no question about that, but we were never going to win in the playoffs with the makeup of that team.

That being said, Shaq is the only reason the Suns are in playoff contention this year, despite the embarrassing job that Porter has done.

Last year the trade hurt them...there is no question about that, but we were never going to win in the playoffs with the makeup of that team.

That being said, Shaq is the only reason the Suns are in playoff contention this year, despite the embarrassing job that Porter has done.

I disagree. Put Lopez or Marion in that lineup instead of Shaq and I bet PHX would be a top 7 seed right now.

I put most of the blame on Kerr for getting fleeced in that trade, but some of the blame has to go to the player who can't/won't adjust his play to fit in with the team. That's a big part of what comes with having Shaq on your team - it's his world, everyone else gets the scraps.
Dude, your Shaq hatred is comical. He is going to the AllStar game as the third best center in the league...he is not the problem. Marion sucks donkey nuts in the playoffs...guy can't create on his own and in the slower paced games just isn't very valuable.

Nope. I think Shaq is MUCH better at what he does than Porter is at what he does.

I know Terry Porter. I like him. He was a fine NBA player. But he's a very bad NBA head coach. Going from D'Antoni to Porter was a gigantic downgrade in my opinion.

Nope. I think Shaq is MUCH better at what he does than Porter is at what he does.

I know Terry Porter. I like him. He was a fine NBA player. But he's a very bad NBA head coach. Going from D'Antoni to Porter was a gigantic downgrade in my opinion.

:lmao:

If you're going to rip Kerr, rip him for the Porter hiring...Shaq has been holding up his end of the bargain this year...starting with his domination of Yao Ming and pretty much every other frontcourt in his path. :lmao:

I've read different places that the Spurs might be interested in John Salmons from the Kings. One writer speculated the Spurs would resign Horry and use his contract.

Also heard Brad Miller to Miami, but last I read Petrie was refusing to take back Marcus Banks in the deal.

Kidd? Phx? :goodposting:

:goodposting: You're such an idiot.

As said in the other thread, Shaq has the 16th best PER in the league. 16th! For you to sit here and act like he's the reason the Suns suck defies logic and any understand of basketball whatsoever.

Honestly, out of all the hundreds of dumb arguments you've taken up here, this is the bottom of the barrel. Shaq is playing great. His teammates are not. His bench sucks and his coach sucks. End of story. Stop being a moron.

Wally Szczerbiak & Lorenzen Wright for Marcus Camby & Ricky Davis works for Cleveland.

saves Clippers 10 million next year.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

What exactly is in it for the Clippers?
10 million

same reason Denver gave him away .... Camby will be 35 when next season starts & will be owed another 10 million, Clippers don't want to pay that.

i also read a rumor that Barron Davis could be had as well ..... the Clippers are a mess (oh, and water is wet).

Wally Szczerbiak & Lorenzen Wright for Marcus Camby & Ricky Davis works for Cleveland.

saves Clippers 10 million next year.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

What exactly is in it for the Clippers?
10 million

same reason Denver gave him away .... Camby will be 35 when next season starts & will be owed another 10 million, Clippers don't want to pay that.

i also read a rumor that Barron Davis could be had as well ..... the Clippers are a mess (oh, and water is wet).

maybe the Cavs can't trade Szczerbiak .... Pavlovic could be out 6 weeks, & West is still out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3894942

:confused: You're such an idiot.

As said in the other thread, Shaq has the 16th best PER in the league. 16th! For you to sit here and act like he's the reason the Suns suck defies logic and any understand of basketball whatsoever.

Honestly, out of all the hundreds of dumb arguments you've taken up here, this is the bottom of the barrel. Shaq is playing great. His teammates are not. His bench sucks and his coach sucks. End of story. Stop being a moron.

So Nash, Amare, and Barbosa all just suddenly started sucking once Shaq arrived?

Seriously - I'm well aware of Shaq's resurgence statistically. I'm simply making the argument that his style of play is a HORRIBLE match for the rest of the entire roster. Something had to give, either Shaq had to lost 30-40 pounds and start getting up and down the floor with the rest of the Suns, or the entire team had to change to adapt to Shaq's walk the ball up and throw it into the middle offense. Is there any surprise that it was the entire rest of the team that has suffered?

I have absolutely zero doubt that if Kobe was traded for Paul Pierce, and the Celtics suddenly become a lottery team with everyone's statistics suffering except for Kobe who still got his 26 ppg, you guys would be calling for Kobe's head.

Expect the Cavaliers to be involved in talks for any of these players: Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Mike Miller

Then again...

With Pavlovic out 4-6 weeks, Cavaliers sending signals they're pulling away from trade rumors

Brian Windhorst

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Monday February 09, 2009, 11:00 PM

CLEVELAND -- There was a point in their long-term planning that the Cavaliers thought the days leading up to next week's trading deadline would be filled with drama and haggling.

It hasn't played out that way.

Due to both positive and negative factors, it appears as if this year the team will be passing on the event. Their strong first half plus a series of injuries have limited their options and desires.

Monday left the Cavs dealing with another injury as an MRI revealed starting shooting guard Sasha Pavlovic had suffered the worst of all ankle injuries, the high ankle sprain. It will keep him out 4-6 weeks.

With Delonte West and Tarence Kinsey out and a roster spot being occupied by Eric Snow, the team is essentially down four guards at the moment. Another, Trey Johnson, is on a 10-day contract.

Wally Szczerbiak, once their largest trade chip with his $13 million expiring contract, has now become a vital part of the team. He will start in Pavlovic's place in Indianapolis against the Pacers on Tuesday.

Because of all this, the vibe around the rest of the NBA is the Cavs are going to follow through with their plans to stand mostly pat.

"They are going to dance with the girl they brought," one general manager said on Monday. "They believe in that roster."

This echoes the hints the team has been dropping for weeks, but the injury situation seems to nearly cement it. They will continue to make calls and they are leaving options open. For example, they have postponed an appointment with a league-approved doctor to evaluate Snow's disability retirement claim just in case they want to use him in a trade.

However, with few excess parts and concerns about altering the chemistry, both General Manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown are sending out all kinds of signs they do not intend to make a major deal and likely none at all.

When it came to the topic of picking up another big man, which was highlighted against the Lakers on Sunday, Brown listed reasons why the Cavs would not go in that direction.

"There's only so many minutes for our big guys," Brown said. "If we had another big in here, it would be hard for me to consistently divvy up the minutes especially if you throw LeBron in that mix."

As for the injury outlook, West took part in practice on Monday, but did it with a brace on his right wrist and will not be back until next week at the earliest. The team is considering keeping him out for another two weeks. Kinsey, also dealing with a bum right ankle, took part in the workout as well but won't be seen in a game until after the All-Star break, either.

"We've just got to keep on keeping on; we've just got to find a way to get it done," Brown said. "We think we're deep and it's going to continue to have to show."

The test will mostly fall on Szczerbiak's shoulders. He is going to have to continue to log major minutes playing with both the starting unit and the small lineup as a forward. Over the last three games in which Pavlovic was able to play just 12 total minutes -- with the flu causing him to miss two games -- Szczerbiak has averaged 39 minutes.

"I've been working at both areas and I'm comfortable with the rotations and that's important," Szczerbiak said. "On this team, you don't want to be the guy who's not where he should be. Mentally you just have to prepare yourself and physically you have to fight through it."

Link

Expect the Cavaliers to be involved in talks for any of these players: Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudemire, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller, Mike Miller

Then again...

With Pavlovic out 4-6 weeks, Cavaliers sending signals they're pulling away from trade rumors

Brian Windhorst

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Monday February 09, 2009, 11:00 PM

CLEVELAND -- There was a point in their long-term planning that the Cavaliers thought the days leading up to next week's trading deadline would be filled with drama and haggling.

It hasn't played out that way.

Due to both positive and negative factors, it appears as if this year the team will be passing on the event. Their strong first half plus a series of injuries have limited their options and desires.

Monday left the Cavs dealing with another injury as an MRI revealed starting shooting guard Sasha Pavlovic had suffered the worst of all ankle injuries, the high ankle sprain. It will keep him out 4-6 weeks.

With Delonte West and Tarence Kinsey out and a roster spot being occupied by Eric Snow, the team is essentially down four guards at the moment. Another, Trey Johnson, is on a 10-day contract.

Wally Szczerbiak, once their largest trade chip with his $13 million expiring contract, has now become a vital part of the team. He will start in Pavlovic's place in Indianapolis against the Pacers on Tuesday.

Because of all this, the vibe around the rest of the NBA is the Cavs are going to follow through with their plans to stand mostly pat.

"They are going to dance with the girl they brought," one general manager said on Monday. "They believe in that roster."

This echoes the hints the team has been dropping for weeks, but the injury situation seems to nearly cement it. They will continue to make calls and they are leaving options open. For example, they have postponed an appointment with a league-approved doctor to evaluate Snow's disability retirement claim just in case they want to use him in a trade.

However, with few excess parts and concerns about altering the chemistry, both General Manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown are sending out all kinds of signs they do not intend to make a major deal and likely none at all.

When it came to the topic of picking up another big man, which was highlighted against the Lakers on Sunday, Brown listed reasons why the Cavs would not go in that direction.

"There's only so many minutes for our big guys," Brown said. "If we had another big in here, it would be hard for me to consistently divvy up the minutes especially if you throw LeBron in that mix."

As for the injury outlook, West took part in practice on Monday, but did it with a brace on his right wrist and will not be back until next week at the earliest. The team is considering keeping him out for another two weeks. Kinsey, also dealing with a bum right ankle, took part in the workout as well but won't be seen in a game until after the All-Star break, either.

"We've just got to keep on keeping on; we've just got to find a way to get it done," Brown said. "We think we're deep and it's going to continue to have to show."

The test will mostly fall on Szczerbiak's shoulders. He is going to have to continue to log major minutes playing with both the starting unit and the small lineup as a forward. Over the last three games in which Pavlovic was able to play just 12 total minutes -- with the flu causing him to miss two games -- Szczerbiak has averaged 39 minutes.

"I've been working at both areas and I'm comfortable with the rotations and that's important," Szczerbiak said. "On this team, you don't want to be the guy who's not where he should be. Mentally you just have to prepare yourself and physically you have to fight through it."

Link
Great News!!!

factoring in chemistry, id rather have Wally than Brad or Mike Miller. If they can get one of the other guys that would be killer.
agree...both Miller's haven't been all that great this yearBeen talk of them moving Wally and bringing him back after 30 days after a buyout.
Isnt the deadline for picking up playoff eligible players the end of this month. Thats when the Knicks are planning on getting rid of Marbury to screw him so he cant play in the playoffs.
not sure when it is...would love to see that happen though
Pretty sure I heard it's too late for any moves like that. To be eligible for playoff roster, a player must be on teams roster by March 1st, which is less than 30 days from now. Could be wrong tho.

The Indiana Pacers and Charlotte Bobcats have engaged in serious discussions on a multiplayer trade centered around point guards Jamaal Tinsley and Raymond Felton, multiple sources told ESPN.com Tuesday.The discussions between the teams have been ongoing for weeks, though the parameters and pieces have continually changed. If the deal comes to fruition, the sources said, it would likely include Tinsley, Jeff Foster and a third player (Brandon Rush, Stephen Graham, Marquis Daniels) going to the Bobcats for Felton, Nazr Mohammed and Sean May.One source said there was only one team other than the Bobcats interested in Tinsley, who has been told to stay away from the Pacers since the start of training camp while Indiana tries to trade him. Tinsley has two years remaining on his contract after this season for $7.2 million and $7.5 million, making the task of moving him even more difficult for Indiana president Larry Bird. The sources who spoke to ESPN.com indicated the current hangups in the Bobcats-Pacers talks included:• The Bobcats' insistence on including Mohammed in any deal, with Charlotte wanting to get rid of his remaining two years ($6.4 and $6.9) in return for assuming Tinsley's guarantee.• How much value Charlotte would get in return for Felton, who becomes a restricted free agent July 1 (and whose asking price, the Bobcats fear, will be more than they are willing to pay.)Three sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described the discussions as "active," though none would go so far as to say a Tinsley-Felton deal was likely prior to the Feb. 19 NBA trade deadline.The sources also said the Bobcats and Pacers had discussed a different version of a Felton-Tinsley deal earlier this season that included Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown, the two players the Bobcats ended up dealing to the Los Angeles Lakers last week for Vladimir

WTF are the Cats thinking.

The Spurs were interested in Vince Carter. I don't know how they'd get him with what they have (assuming their good players are unavailable of course) but that's the rumor anyways.

Sure - they can have Bruce Bowen, Jacque Vaughn, and Fabricio.
Nets probably going to keep VC unless they get another Kidd like offer. He's been playing real well this year

There is a rumor about a possible Larry Hughes to Washington trade for Etan Thomas and Mike James. All these contacts expire after next season (assuming Mike James picks up his option which seems obvious) so money isn't much of a factor. Since the Bulls have decided to bench Hughes from here on out there is no question the Bulls would want to make this trade. Are there any Washington homers that would like to comment? I know Arenas still likes Hughes which could be a factor. This seems a reasonable deal.

There is a rumor about a possible Larry Hughes to Washington trade for Etan Thomas and Mike James. All these contacts expire after next season (assuming Mike James picks up his option which seems obvious) so money isn't much of a factor. Since the Bulls have decided to bench Hughes from here on out there is no question the Bulls would want to make this trade. Are there any Washington homers that would like to comment? I know Arenas still likes Hughes which could be a factor. This seems a reasonable deal.

Like trading a turd with peanuts for a turd with corn I guess.

Seems like Aldridge, Bayless, LaFrentz, and possibly draft picks and/or Freeland is quite a haul for Amare. Not sure anyone can top that if the Blazers are willing to pull the deal.

Phoenix should jump on that ASAP. They way they play right now...Aldridge is a better fit than Amare is. Amare is lost in that system and doesn't look like he'll ever really be anything but an average defender. Bayless has a ton of potential and you know the cheap SOBs love the LaFrentz contract. Not sure how Amare and Oden are going to fit together on the offensive end...but the Blazers should be able to hide Amare on the defensive side better than Phoenix could.

Seems like Aldridge, Bayless, LaFrentz, and possibly draft picks and/or Freeland is quite a haul for Amare. Not sure anyone can top that if the Blazers are willing to pull the deal.

Phoenix should jump on that ASAP. They way they play right now...Aldridge is a better fit than Amare is. Amare is lost in that system and doesn't look like he'll ever really be anything but an average defender. Bayless has a ton of potential and you know the cheap SOBs love the LaFrentz contract. Not sure how Amare and Oden are going to fit together on the offensive end...but the Blazers should be able to hide Amare on the defensive side better than Phoenix could.
:unsure:

:missing:
And if I'm Amare and I'm going to be a free agent soon...I'm BEGGING to get into Don Nelson's system in Golden State so I can put up a cheap 30 and 10 every night and get the interest in me back up to Wade/Bosh levels.

u dont think other GM"s would see those as hollow numbers as well..???

Wish the 76ers would make a run at him, would be a great Center in their running style.

Sammy D was begging to leave before Brands injury anyway.... not sure he has much value to anyone else though.

u dont think other GM"s would see those as hollow numbers as well..???Wish the 76ers would make a run at him, would be a great Center in their running style.Sammy D was begging to leave before Brands injury anyway.... not sure he has much value to anyone else though.

The Sixers didnt play Brand at center that much when he was healthy.

Archived