What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Strasburg (1 Viewer)

Yep Ive been hearing about him recently. Looking forward to seeing if the performance matches the hype

I also read that this Aroldis Chapman that just got knocked out of the game vs Japan would be the best prospect in baseball right now.

I also read that this Aroldis Chapman that just got knocked out of the game vs Japan would be the best prospect in baseball right now.
Chapman is certainly in the conversation. 21, lefty, 102mph fastball, plus slider, etc...he simply needs to mature, defect, and sign with the White Sox

While the hype on Strasburg seems excessive, he has earned much of the high praise he is receiving. He is an excellent, excellent prospect.

Last year (sophomore) at San Diego State:

**8-3, 1.57 ERA, 97.1 IP, 61 H, 16 BB, 133 K

Includes a 23 strikeout game vs. Utah --- Here's a link to it:

**Named to 2008 US Olympic team - Only collegiate player since current system (US using minor leaguers) was put into place.

Pitched two games in the Olympics (Starts vs. Netherlands and Cuba):

1-1, 1.64 ERA, 11 IP, 7 H, 1 BB, 16 K

**So far this season:

4 starts -- 4-0, 1.98 ERA, 27.1 IP, 19 H, 5 BB, 59 K

Strasburg No-Hit Air Force tonight (SDSU won 5-0)

Final line: 9-0-0-0-2-17

On the season, he's now 11-0, 1.24 ERA, 87.1 IP, 48 H, 17 BB, 164 K

The hype is about to increase to epic proportions.

Strasburg No-Hit Air Force tonight (SDSU won 5-0)Final line: 9-0-0-0-2-17On the season, he's now 11-0, 1.24 ERA, 87.1 IP, 48 H, 17 BB, 164 KThe hype is about to increase to epic proportions.
Ok, this stands out just a bit...87.1 IP164 KOnly 16.9 K/9 :hifive:

And his situation will just illustrate what is wrong with the MLB draft.

He is a no brainer # 1 to the Nationals. But guess what, there is probably going to be huge signability issues. So the Nationals might pass, select someone cheaper, and a big market team with bottomless pockets will select him and give him huge $$$$$.

It's like when Prior came out. he was the consensus # 1 pick, but the money conscious Twins were concerned about his asking price. So they took a kid who would sign for far cheaper. It worked out for the Twins in the end (Joe Mauer), but it illustrated the problem with the draft.

And his situation will just illustrate what is wrong with the MLB draft.He is a no brainer # 1 to the Nationals. But guess what, there is probably going to be huge signability issues. So the Nationals might pass, select someone cheaper, and a big market team with bottomless pockets will select him and give him huge $$$$$.It's like when Prior came out. he was the consensus # 1 pick, but the money conscious Twins were concerned about his asking price. So they took a kid who would sign for far cheaper. It worked out for the Twins in the end (Joe Mauer), but it illustrated the problem with the draft.
Since the Nats played cheap last year and failed to sign their 1st round pick, their hands are almost tied in this situation. Strassburg can ask for $50 million, and the Nats may have to pay...

And his situation will just illustrate what is wrong with the MLB draft.He is a no brainer # 1 to the Nationals. But guess what, there is probably going to be huge signability issues. So the Nationals might pass, select someone cheaper, and a big market team with bottomless pockets will select him and give him huge $$$$$.It's like when Prior came out. he was the consensus # 1 pick, but the money conscious Twins were concerned about his asking price. So they took a kid who would sign for far cheaper. It worked out for the Twins in the end (Joe Mauer), but it illustrated the problem with the draft.
Since the Nats played cheap last year and failed to sign their 1st round pick, their hands are almost tied in this situation. Strassburg can ask for $50 million, and the Nats may have to pay...
Prior was the consensus top pitcher in that draft, but Mauer was also thought to be a top prospect. No one this year is even close to Strasburg. And the Nats arent a small market team, they were serious players for Texiera. They didnt sign their 1st rounder last year because Lerner was trying to adhere to the recommended slotting price for amateurs. However, they have a beautiful park that lies empty most days and one of the worst pitching staffs in the country. The Nats will make a serious offer to Strasburg, but it wont be $50 million. Previous record signing bonus was shy of $11 million, I expect them to put an offer in the $15-20 million range and make the offer public knowledge. Strasburg and Boras really don't have great bargining power here - they get 2 months tops to strike a deal and you cant exactly expect to go higher next year. Going back to SDSU can't improve his stock and could only mean a possible injury. If the Nats are smart, they'll make an offer around $20 million and let them know the number isnt going up, and every week he doesnt sign it goes down half a mil or some such.

Prior was the consensus top pitcher in that draft, but Mauer was also thought to be a top prospect. No one this year is even close to Strasburg. And the Nats arent a small market team, they were serious players for Texiera. They didnt sign their 1st rounder last year because Lerner was trying to adhere to the recommended slotting price for amateurs. However, they have a beautiful park that lies empty most days and one of the worst pitching staffs in the country. The Nats will make a serious offer to Strasburg, but it wont be $50 million. Previous record signing bonus was shy of $11 million, I expect them to put an offer in the $15-20 million range and make the offer public knowledge. Strasburg and Boras really don't have great bargining power here - they get 2 months tops to strike a deal and you cant exactly expect to go higher next year. Going back to SDSU can't improve his stock and could only mean a possible injury. If the Nats are smart, they'll make an offer around $20 million and let them know the number isnt going up, and every week he doesnt sign it goes down half a mil or some such.
whos to say a team later in the draft wont pay him 50?

And we have seen this repeatedly. It is just a fact that alot of players drop because of signability issues. Look at Rick Porcello as a recent example. JD Drew, Rick Ankiel (when he was a stud pitching prospect) are a couple of recent examples as well.

Who cares what someone else would give him.The Nats would hold his rights for the full year.......if he doesn't sign with them, they have the right to tell him to go pound sand.Effin Boras!!!!

Balco said:
The Nats are going to select him. They've already said as much.
I think it was Jim Bowden who said that. Did someone else in the organization confirm?Obviousl;y he is the clear cut # 1, I just really wonder about his contract demands.
Chico Harlan of the Washington Post heard this from acting Nationals GM Mike Rizzo about Strasburg:"If the draft was today, he'd be our guy. But the draft is a month from now, so a lot of things can happen. Guys can turn up their intensity and their performance, a lot of things can happen in a month. But if it was today, he'd be our guy."MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that Rizzo met with Strasburg's agent, Scott Boras, earlier in the week. The Nationals have the first overall pick in the draft and are expected to select Strasburg. Rizzo told Boras he planned to scout Strasburg's Friday night start, but they didn't discuss Strasburg in detail or talk about a contract for the pitcher. There's no way you can pass on this guy. You have to draft him and take your chances.

I liked the scout (I think he was unnamed) who said something to the effect of "we'd trade our entire draft to get this guy."

Seems like the surest thing in a long time, but those guys seem to fail more often than they should.

And his situation will just illustrate what is wrong with the MLB draft.

He is a no brainer # 1 to the Nationals. But guess what, there is probably going to be huge signability issues. So the Nationals might pass, select someone cheaper, and a big market team with bottomless pockets will select him and give him huge $$$$$.

It's like when Prior came out. he was the consensus # 1 pick, but the money conscious Twins were concerned about his asking price. So they took a kid who would sign for far cheaper. It worked out for the Twins in the end (Joe Mauer), but it illustrated the problem with the draft.
I don't really think that's how it went. Their final offer was more than Beckham pulled and Crow's people still balked. It will be interesting to see what Crow makes this year. #### Crow, I say. He didn't want to play here. Hopefully Strasburg does.More than likely they'll get this done. Rizzo isn't going to drool all over this guy publicly, but you know they are in private.

Rizzo isn't going to drool all over this guy publicly, but you know they are in private.
How could they not? I've never seen him pitch and I'm not a Nats fan and I still can't wait to see the guy throw. This is exciting ####.

is there any chance at all we see this kid in a major league uniform this season?
I don't see any reason to do that.Keith Law said the Nats should shut him down immediately and get him ready for 2010. I think that makes sense.

is there any chance at all we see this kid in a major league uniform this season?
I don't see any reason to do that.Keith Law said the Nats should shut him down immediately and get him ready for 2010. I think that makes sense.
It definitely makes sense. What do they have to gain and with all that money he will demand they have a lot to lose if they overwork him and get him injured. He will have pitched a lot of innings already by the time he'd be ready to go in the bigs.

Men-in-Cleats said:
whoknew said:
Oh Yes! said:
It definitely makes sense. What do they have to gain and with all that money he will demand they have a lot to lose if they overwork him and get him injured. He will have pitched a lot of innings already by the time he'd be ready to go in the bigs.
i figured what do they have to lose, give him a few starts at the end of the season to get him a taste of the bigs. i mean they are already paying him 50 mil right?

i figured what do they have to lose, give him a few starts at the end of the season to get him a taste of the bigs. i mean they are already paying him 50 mil right?
They have a 50 million dollar prospect to lose is what they have to lose. The concern is that if they overwork him he could get injured. They won't want to have him pitch too many innings this year and have him blow out his arm.

Men-in-Cleats said:
They have a 50 million dollar prospect to lose is what they have to lose. The concern is that if they overwork him he could get injured. They won't want to have him pitch too many innings this year and have him blow out his arm.
Plus, no reason to start his arb clock any sooner than absolutely necessary

I love how Tony Gwynn says that Strasburg would be the Nats number one pitcher right now. That is pretty big talk buffet boy.

Some picks the last couple years added in their contracts that they would get a cup of coffee by the end of the year. If Boras/Strasburg are stupid, they might go for this. Of course, wouldn't it get the free agency clock started since they won't get the money they feel they deserve.

The only issue I have with Strasburg is his mechanics, as pointed out here

"I can say with confidence that Steven Strasburg is the most productive pitching prospect in two whole years! More impressively, the second best as far back as I can research. Unfortunately, there is more to evaluating pitching than just radar gun readings and stats. Mechanics are arguably the most important aspect in determining a pitchers development, it really matters how you do it instead of just what you do.

There are a few videos of Strasburg on youtube. After breaking them down like the Zapruder film I've made a few assements. Here's what worries me:

He brings his elbow too far back during the scap load phase of his delivery.

While hard to tell from the video, given his arm angle upon release and his follow through he seems to have a supinated release.

His follow through is really bad. There's significant arm recoil and he finishes basically standing up.

Obviously he does some things well, I mean he throws 99 mph with great control. However, there are enough red flags that I believe he's a major injury risk. That does not mean he will absolutely get hurt, just that he's more likely to other people. Without taking him to ASMI (American Sports Medicine Institute) labs and getting specific joint load data, no one can say for sure."

The only issue I have with Strasburg is his mechanics, as pointed out here

"I can say with confidence that Steven Strasburg is the most productive pitching prospect in two whole years! More impressively, the second best as far back as I can research. Unfortunately, there is more to evaluating pitching than just radar gun readings and stats. Mechanics are arguably the most important aspect in determining a pitchers development, it really matters how you do it instead of just what you do.

There are a few videos of Strasburg on youtube. After breaking them down like the Zapruder film I've made a few assements. Here's what worries me:

He brings his elbow too far back during the scap load phase of his delivery.

While hard to tell from the video, given his arm angle upon release and his follow through he seems to have a supinated release.

His follow through is really bad. There's significant arm recoil and he finishes basically standing up.

Obviously he does some things well, I mean he throws 99 mph with great control. However, there are enough red flags that I believe he's a major injury risk. That does not mean he will absolutely get hurt, just that he's more likely to other people. Without taking him to ASMI (American Sports Medicine Institute) labs and getting specific joint load data, no one can say for sure."
Of all the commentators that have scouted him, this is the only one that has claimed Strasburg has a high risk of injury.

prior had perfect mechanics
That what we always heard and then when he started to fall apart "scouts" came out of the woodwork to say he had a flawed delivery. As far as I have read, there is no evidence that there is any way to predict arm injuries. You would think a player like Lincecum would be at the top of the list of tearing his arm apart but he is fine so far. All I have seen is some evidence of higher risk when a pitcher sees a huge increase in innings from one year to the next.Stasburg is defined by scouts as one of the best and most sure prospects ever. I would guess he will be a solid MLB pitcher unless they rush him up the levels quicker than his talent/confidence can keep up with or his arm falls apart.

While there are Lincecums who defy injury (for now) there are the Kazmir's who is starting to live up to the injury hype (maybe the Mets will get a little solace for the horrible trade they made w/ him).

EZD222 said:
While there are Lincecums who defy injury (for now) there are the Kazmir's who is starting to live up to the injury hype (maybe the Mets will get a little solace for the horrible trade they made w/ him).
They shouldn't. That trade was brutal then, and it's brutal now even if Kazmir's arm falls off.

Users who are viewing this thread