Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Guranteed a dog is peeing there :)

Looks like too much weed killer or red thread

Quite possible the one by the sidewalk is from passing dogs and the one near the front of the house is from ours. :shrug:

Not red thread.

Is it pee?

T

After core aerating or de-thatching, always rake/sweep up then apply lime or gypsum depending on your soil tests. You don't always need to take a core, in fact for homeowner lawns only areas of high traffic really need coring. Simply punching holes with solid tines and adding amendments will suffice.

I was under the impression that you are not suppose to rake up after core aerating. I always thought you wanted the plugs to break down into the soil.

You can do it that way, sure but to get a really good aeration the plugs should be removed and sand or amendments added. Just think of a golf green, those plugs are usually removed and then topdressed with sand to provide a smooth surface.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speedwell and Nutsedge sounds like a terrible cop sitcom that didn't make it past the pilot episode.  

Not bad for first real cut of the year

Spray it on an afternoon she's not there. 

How often are you guys watering your yards? Just curious because I've read all kinds of different things about how frequently you need to water.

I never have, but when/if you do - do it less often but with more water. You want to really saturate the soil.

How often are you guys watering your yards? Just curious because I've read all kinds of different things about how frequently you need to water.

I never have, but when/if you do - do it less often but with more water. You want to really saturate the soil.

You live in MD too, right?

It's been so dry here lately that I've been watering every day this week.

I have a flat yard but I have enough yard that I need to buy a riding mower.

Should I buy a used one or a new one?

I don't want to haul anything except my fat ###. I just want to trim some grass.

My neighbor has a 2006 Cub Cadet lt1046 with 318 hours on it. It is in pristine condition. Old couple that takes their yard more serious than I take anything in my life. They want $700.

I can buy a new base model riding mower at Lowes for around 1100, after rebates and discounts.

Thoughts? Am I missing something? Suggestions?

Anybody want to cut my grass?

VA. We've had quite a bit of afternoon rain the last few weeks.

We've had some late night storms lately, but nothing crazy. My yard gets so much sun that everything dries out so quickly.

It's only May 15 but I have some areas in my yard that already look dry enough to be August 15. I did spray Bayer weed killer a few weeks ago, maybe it is in those spots. But I diluted it like I normally do. Not sure what the hell is going on.

Here are some examples: 1 2. I know these two areas are those that I reseeded last fall. Can't remember if I sprayed the Bayer around these or not. Is there some type of wait time with new grass before you can treat it for weeds?

From the pics, that looks like fungus. Is it "crunchy" to walk on?

Definitely dry/crunchy.

Thanks for supporting the team :lsucoloredflowers:

We've had some late night storms lately, but nothing crazy. My yard gets so much sun that everything dries out so quickly.

Ah, I've got lots of trees larger trees all around. Helps with the lawn, and keeps portions of the house shaded during the day, which helps with cooling.

Ah, I've got lots of trees larger trees all around. Helps with the lawn, and keeps portions of the house shaded during the day, which helps with cooling.

I wish we had some trees around us. It's a new neighborhood, so most homes don't have much shade. I'm hoping with a house going up next to ours that it will help add some shade to the side of the yard that's in the sun all day.

So here is my problem....

Centipede was laid in December.

First problem is that the ground is very uneven and in the back it seems the builder back filled with the layer of dirt,grass,etc he scraped off the lot to prep for the foundation. This has left a good chunk of the yard very very spongy.

Second problem is weeds. I sprayed with Weed free zone back in March and it killed all of the broadleaf. Then I started to get some little green tufts of grass start popping up everywhere which I think was a nuts edge. I sprayed that with a nutsedge weed killer and it has browned and is starting to disappear. Now I am starting to get the white clovers.

Third problem is drainage. The soil is very hard / clay in the front. The grass has taken root but not growing at normal speed leaving it thin and allowing weeds to grow.

4th is the back has very poor drainage. The entire street has a very slight grade to the backyards maybe a few degrees for draining rainwater. Since the backyard has that dirt, weed, grass mixture underneath the sod it is retaining all kinds of water.

Questions:

1. I have a 1 year warranty on this house. Think I should get the builder to come back and properly redo the sod if possible, or start to fill soil/sand to level it out.

2. At some point I need to fertilize to start to get the grass growing to choke out the weeds. Should I aerate and fertilize now?

3. Aerate for clay?

4. Start putting soil / sand down to help the grass take root or pull the sod up and lay fresh top soil? Regrade? French drain with drywell?

Sorry in advance.

Edited by ragincajun

If it's actually covered by the warranty, I'd have the builder regrade it all. If he'll lay the topsoil have him do that to. If not, have him grade it and tell him to leave you alone after that.

1. Aerate

2. Cover with 2 inches of topsoil, maybe 3

3. Seed/Fert

4. Water

But I wouldn't do ANY of this until fall.

If I apply weed/crabgrass spray this weekend, how long do I have to wait before I can apply fertilizer? I'm using the Bayer advanced, all-in-one product.

tia

Do you have to wait? Hope not. I mowed, sprayed weeds and fertilized all in the same day Saturday :oldunsure:

If I apply weed/crabgrass spray this weekend, how long do I have to wait before I can apply fertilizer? I'm using the Bayer advanced, all-in-one product.

tia

Do you have to wait? Hope not. I mowed, sprayed weeds and fertilized all in the same day Saturday :oldunsure:

I truly have no idea. Would be good news for me if that were acceptable as I could knock it all out this weekend. Guess I'll just have to break down and actually read the label.

tia

I truly have no idea. Would be good news for me if that were acceptable as I could knock it all out this weekend. Guess I'll just have to break down and actually read the label.

I really don't think you have to wait. I have somebody come do lawn treatments, and they fertilize and spray at the same time.

tia

Well, I know you can't use fert with weed control in it when trying to get seed to germinate, but that's the only thing I know for certain. I've never had an issue doing both, but who knows.

tia

Nothing in the label states not to fertilize afterward. If you apply a fertilizer that needs watering in (most do) wait at least an hour after applying the Bayer Advance to water in.

• Like 1

If it's actually covered by the warranty, I'd have the builder regrade it all. If he'll lay the topsoil have him do that to. If not, have him grade it and tell him to leave you alone after that.

1. Aerate

3. Seed/Fert

4. Water

Why wait till the fall? Just curious.

1. Aerate

3. Seed/Fert

4. Water

Days are getting too long......extremely difficult to grow grass in the next few months. You want March/April and October/November.

1. Aerate

3. Seed/Fert

4. Water

Days are getting too long......extremely difficult to grow grass in the next few months. You want March/April and October/November.

Gotcha

1. Aerate

3. Seed/Fert

4. Water

Well, I guess I should back up and ask what kind of grass you are planting? I made that statement because that's what works for fescue (what I have in my yard). It doesn't like the heat when it's established, much less at germination. It's really hard to grow this time of year. Cooler, shorter days are best for fescue.

1. Aerate

3. Seed/Fert

4. Water

Well, I guess I should back up and ask what kind of grass you are planting? I made that statement because that's what works for fescue (what I have in my yard). It doesn't like the heat when it's established, much less at germination. It's really hard to grow this time of year. Cooler, shorter days are best for fescue.

Exactly this.

Everything talked about in here is all about the type of grass your have and where you live. You have warm season grasses in the south, cool season up north and transition zone http://www.american-lawns.com/grasses/transition_zone.html so everything is relative to that.

Don't forget you can always pre-germinate seed by soaking it in water for 3-5 days, drain the water and add into a pile of mulch.

Edited by Dark Matter
  • 2 months later...

My poor grass is covered in weeds and brown. We had a really wet June here, about 10 inches of rain. Hardly anything in July and the whole neighborhood is covered in weeds and brown spots because of not much rain lately. Fun times!

Anyone else have dallisgrass? This could be the mother of all weeds. At least with crabgrass, its easy to dig out without ripping up a whole chunk of lawn and they make stuff that kills it. The only thing I've found that mentions it is celsius. These herbicides I'm buying keep getting more and more expensive.

I don't have that grass in particular, but I get some other kind of clumping grass in my mulch all the time. It's actually really pretty, and grows REALLY fast, but it just grows in random spots. Pulls up really easily.

But I digress...re. the bolded part - Seriously consider a professional. I was skeptical at first being a DIY lawn guy, but the pros have access to concentrations and herbicides that are not legal for home-owners to buy. It really does work. I used to treat myself, and I spent so much time buying and spraying. Scott's service kills 90% of my weeds dead.

My poor grass is covered in weeds and brown. We had a really wet June here, about 10 inches of rain. Hardly anything in July and the whole neighborhood is covered in weeds and brown spots because of not much rain lately. Fun times!

Ditto. It's kind of a pattern here in NJ...I struggle to keep up cutting 1x week until mid-July, then my yard turns into a dust bowl. Then it perks back up in early September.

The key is just expecting it will happen and letting your grass go long. My grass is 5" right now. It's still drying out, but 1) The length, even when dead/dry, will help prevent weeds. 2) The length also helps shade the roots so they don't get too dry, which helps them rebound when you get rain.

Anyone else have dallisgrass? This could be the mother of all weeds. At least with crabgrass, its easy to dig out without ripping up a whole chunk of lawn and they make stuff that kills it. The only thing I've found that mentions it is celsius. These herbicides I'm buying keep getting more and more expensive.

I don't have that grass in particular, but I get some other kind of clumping grass in my mulch all the time. It's actually really pretty, and grows REALLY fast, but it just grows in random spots. Pulls up really easily.

But I digress...re. the bolded part - Seriously consider a professional. I was skeptical at first being a DIY lawn guy, but the pros have access to concentrations and herbicides that are not legal for home-owners to buy. It really does work. I used to treat myself, and I spent so much time buying and spraying. Scott's service kills 90% of my weeds dead.

I've given it a lot of thought this year. I typically hate dealing with contractors. How much do you pay? I think my mom does Scotts, but they have a tendency to burn her lawn. What about the other 10% of the weeds?

My lawn has never looked worse in my 20 years as a home owner. :( . I am just counting the days until I refurb it this fall.

I intend to do a de-thatching of entire lawn, followed by a double sweep ( in opposite directions) using a slice seeder and then lastly adding starter fertilizer to entire lawn.

Then next year I will do some core aeration if needed.

Ditto. It's kind of a pattern here in NJ...I struggle to keep up cutting 1x week until mid-July, then my yard turns into a dust bowl. Then it perks back up in early September.

The key is just expecting it will happen and letting your grass go long. My grass is 5" right now. It's still drying out, but 1) The length, even when dead/dry, will help prevent weeds. 2) The length also helps shade the roots so they don't get too dry, which helps them rebound when you get rain.

yeah, unless you water or have a lot of shade especially during the stretch we had recently with no rain, your grass doesn't stand a chance of staying green.

Too long, dnr. But I will say it again...stop poisoning mother nature with all the pesticides and herbicides and fertilizers. All that is stuff bs, all in the name of some phony faux-green, white-bread suburban nightmare of control over nature. You poison your yard... You are also poisoning yourself and your loved ones. That is for sure.

Edited by Mohawk

I've given it a lot of thought this year. I typically hate dealing with contractors. How much do you pay? I think my mom does Scotts, but they have a tendency to burn her lawn. What about the other 10% of the weeds?

So I'll caveat by saying I have a little over 2.5 acres, all grass. I pay about $325/treatment. I do 4x/year. When I was doing it myself, I needed 6 bags x $40-50/bag, so it really wasn't that different, and I never saw the results with the weeds and the Scott's pre-mix fertilizer/herbicide. The only way I saw results was with a hand-sprayer, and needless to say that's infeasible on 2.5 acres.

I've never had any burn-in issues. My only complaint is that they're not super regular with the timing of services. I had to call them re. my first two this year b/c they were so late that the dandelions were about to bloom. I only do 4 of the recommended 7 treatments...mostly b/c of cost (I can't stomach over $3K for that) and because even with 4, my lawn grows so vigorously that I have a hard time keeping up with it in the spring and fall.

Re. the other 10% - It's crabgrass. Their stuff does very little to really kill it. It contains it, but it doesn't seem to kill it dead enough to keep it from coming back. Dandelions, Plantains, Carpet Grass, most other stuff is gone. And my yard was a MESS when I bought the house 4 years ago. I did it myself for 2 years with minimal luck, but in just 1 year with Scott's, it looks great.

Too long, dnr. But I will say it again...stop poisoning mother nature with all the pesticides and herbicides and fertilizers. All that is stuff bs, all in the name of some phony faux-green, white-bread suburban nightmare of control over nature. You poison your yard... You are also poisoning yourself and your loved ones. That is for sure.

Please tell Mother Nature to stop growing weeds in my lawn. I like grass, not weeds. When she gets that message, I'll stop.

• Like 2

I haven't cut mine in 2 weeks. There's a chance we get an inch or 2 of rain here the next couple days, so may have to finally cut it this weekend.

So I'll caveat by saying I have a little over 2.5 acres, all grass. I pay about $325/treatment. I do 4x/year. When I was doing it myself, I needed 6 bags x $40-50/bag, so it really wasn't that different, and I never saw the results with the weeds and the Scott's pre-mix fertilizer/herbicide. The only way I saw results was with a hand-sprayer, and needless to say that's infeasible on 2.5 acres.

I've never had any burn-in issues. My only complaint is that they're not super regular with the timing of services. I had to call them re. my first two this year b/c they were so late that the dandelions were about to bloom. I only do 4 of the recommended 7 treatments...mostly b/c of cost (I can't stomach over $3K for that) and because even with 4, my lawn grows so vigorously that I have a hard time keeping up with it in the spring and fall.

Re. the other 10% - It's crabgrass. Their stuff does very little to really kill it. It contains it, but it doesn't seem to kill it dead enough to keep it from coming back. Dandelions, Plantains, Carpet Grass, most other stuff is gone. And my yard was a MESS when I bought the house 4 years ago. I did it myself for 2 years with minimal luck, but in just 1 year with Scott's, it looks great.

I think the stuff that I have problems with they wouldn't be able to help me with then. The scotts broadleaf killer takes care of a lot of things, but I seem to have had the united nations of weeds. Crabgrass, nimblewill and japanese stiltgrass all require didn't herbicides other than the standard broadleaf. Now there's dallasgrass which requires something else as well b/c even the powerfull crabgrass killers like drive and tenacity won't make a dent. I'm only talk like an acre though. No way I'd consider tackling 2.5. I would've segregated your property with some evergreens and other landscaping and just focus on keeping the acre closest to your property green and weed free.

Please tell Mother Nature to stop growing weeds in my lawn. I like grass, not weeds. When she gets that message, I'll stop.

Seriously, mother nature has some explaining to do. How come it take so much effort to keep the stuff we do want alive and at the same time so much effort to keep the stuff we don't want dead. You'd think that mother nature would have wised up to this by now.

Fat Nick and friends,

Weeds are just wildflowers you have been brainwashed into thinking are not beneficial or beautiful. You keep poisoning nature to change it. But you will change your chromosomes and get cancer from all that crap you put on your play area! That, to me, is insane! It is not nature that is out of control, it is you and your phony sense of suburban beauty. Stop it! The fact that you keep trying to use chemicals to kill plants should demonstrate that it is you that is whacked! Mother nature can and will survive without us. It is you trying to control mother nature with totally unnatural chemicals that is the problem! Your sense of aesthetics is warped.

Edited by Mohawk

I got a plug aerator 2 years ago and that's really helped my lawn. How much more will a dethatcher do for me? When when during the season should I use each? Right now I'm plug aerating each Spring and Fall.

• Like 1

I'm going to read through this whole thread, but...

I have a terrible lawn. I hate the type of grass (too broad bladed and stiff and scratchy) I hate the grade (I need to put in french drains and raise everything a few inches to drain my yard when it rains) and I hate how filled with weeds it is. I need to figure out how to completely overhaul it.

Problems:

1. I have dogs. And they need some grass while I'm fixing stuff. Also means that there are high traffic areas that will need some kind of grass that stands up to punishment.

2. I need to put in a new fence or wall but can't afford to yet. Which means I'll probably have to fix some stuff up again later and I don't want it to be too patchy

3. I don't have a watering system. I'm in Louisiana, so I get a lot of rain nearly year-round, but occasionally have a few weeks in a row without rain.

I am new to actually caring what my lawn looks like. Any specific tips for my situation would be appreciated - otherwise, I'll just be looking through everything and trying to figure out what to do next.

Edited by Henry Ford

Fat Nick and friends,

Weeds are just wildflowers you have been brainwashed into thinking are not beneficial or beautiful. You keep poisoning nature to change it. But you will change your chromosomes and get cancer from all that crap you put on your play area! That, to me, is insane! It is not nature that is out of control, it is you and your phony sense of suburban beauty. Stop it! The fact that you keep trying to use chemicals to kill plants should demonstrate that it is you that is whacked! Mother nature can and will survive without us. It is you trying to control mother nature with totally unnatural chemicals that is the problem! Your sense of aesthetics is warped.

Nah

• Like 2

Fat Nick and friends,

Oh, yeah, and my wife loves widflowers. She actively asks me to mow around them.

Fat Nick and friends,

Mohawk,

I'm a firm believer in "I live my life, you live yours." I'll never disagree with someone's right to have an opinion, and I hope they do the same with me. I appreciate your view. I really do. I'll admit that if everyone decided to just stop trying to get rid of weeds and let their lawn turn into a pasture, I'd at least consider doing the same...much like if everyone decided to walk around naked, I'd wholeheartedly adopt that as well, but alas neither has happened. Given that, it seems that society in general shares my phony sense of suburban beauty (and appreciation of underpants), so since I am a mere sheeple, I must go along with them.

I think we both agree that Mother nature is strong and she will survive even if I poison my 2.5 acre patch of the earth.

I have a solution though - I don't like weeds. You don't like chemicals. I will pay you what I pay Scott's to come to my house and remove ALL the weeds every month or so. If you do that, I'll forgo the fertilizer treatments altogether and I can have a happy, chemical AND weed free lawn. What do you say? Deal?

I got a plug aerator 2 years ago and that's really helped my lawn. How much more will a dethatcher do for me? When when during the season should I use each? Right now I'm plug aerating each Spring and Fall.

I REALLY want a dethatcher. I feel like it'd do a lot to help my lawn. I have a plug aerator, and I agree - very good for the overall health of my lawn. My corers are starting to get a little dull though.

Fat Nick and friends,

Oh, yeah, and my wife loves widflowers. She actively asks me to mow around them.

Ditto...I'd actively mow around THIS...but not so much THIS, THIS, or THIS.

Fat Nick and friends,

THIS,

Oh, she LOVES this one. Drives me insane.

Fat Nick and friends,

I do not want your money. Your lawn is your lawn. Go for it. You have a right to use whatever you want.

It is my belief that you are hurting yourself and anyone who plays on your lawn.

You are entitled to ignore all the warnings of scientists that declare Roundup and other herbicides and pesticides as carcinogens (look it up!) Read the labels! .

You wanna mess around with that ####, go right ahead.

I just wish you and all the other people would stop so that others' right to an unspoiled nature were not fouled up by the spread of your dirty toxins