What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawn Care Tips (1 Viewer)

Ugh, what a rookie mistake I made.  I wanted to fill in some bare spots, but now I can't.
Sure you can. Pre-germinate the seed. Get the seed you want put it in a burlap bag with some mulch and place it in a 5 gall bucket of water in a sunny area for 5 days. After that, take the mulch/seed mix and mix again with more mulch and fill in your bare areas.

Sure you can. Pre-germinate the seed. Get the seed you want put it in a burlap bag with some mulch and place it in a 5 gall bucket of water in a sunny area for 5 days. After that, take the mulch/seed mix and mix again with more mulch and fill in your bare areas.
I like the way you think.   I've never done this and I have no idea if this will work, but for the price of a $30 bag of seed this is worth a shot.   This reminds me of the days where I used to grow weed, but I used wet paper towels instead.  If this works, I'm throwing a lot of good karma your way.

ETA: I've been spot seeding areas for years mostly b/c of the dogs.  This approach seems to dramatically reduce the watering time.   This could be life changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to start soaking my seeds as soon as a get my hands on a burlap bag.   I'll know within 2 weeks whether this will work so I'll certainly report back.   
Some seed varieties will germinate faster (harder seed coats) so take a peak after 3 days and if you see the seeds swelling, turning red. If so, then they're ready. Good Luck!

Anyone use the Spectracide Weed Stop? Just wondering how that is - it looks to be in the middle of the prices for Weed B Gon and the Bayer products.  

Let's talk lawn watering.   I've always followed the rule of thumb to water less frequently but for longer and to get an inch of water on the lawn per week.   I haven't had the best results though in keeping the lawn nice and green throughout the summer.  It comes back nice and green in mid-september and throughout the fall but I want that look all summer.  I've covered everything else like getting 4 fertilizer sessions in throughout the year and aerating.  The back is pretty solid b/c it doesn't get as much sun, but the front has no protection and gets sun from morning until evening.   One idea was getting some water on the grass late day to cool it down would help, but not sure.  Any thoughts?

Let's talk lawn watering.   I've always followed the rule of thumb to water less frequently but for longer and to get an inch of water on the lawn per week.   I haven't had the best results though in keeping the lawn nice and green throughout the summer.  It comes back nice and green in mid-september and throughout the fall but I want that look all summer.  I've covered everything else like getting 4 fertilizer sessions in throughout the year and aerating.  The back is pretty solid b/c it doesn't get as much sun, but the front has no protection and gets sun from morning until evening.   One idea was getting some water on the grass late day to cool it down would help, but not sure.  Any thoughts?
It's better to water in the morning than at night.

For my heavy watering, that's what I do.  I typically run each zone twice a week usually between 4 and 6 am.  I'm talking about an additional light watering in the late day just to cool the grass down after a day of 90+ degree temps.  Because say I water in the morning on Monday and Friday.   If there's 90+ degree temps all week, that's 4 days where the grass is getting cooked without any relief.  I'm just not sure if that relief in the form of a light watering even matters.

How early are we talking?  I would think that any water that doesn't immediately soak in and left on the grass is going to burn off as soon as the sun gets hot.

*newb question, not doubting you.

Anyone use the Spectracide Weed Stop? Just wondering how that is - it looks to be in the middle of the prices for Weed B Gon and the Bayer products.  
Used before and it did well. Nothing unusually noticeable from any other products I have used. I used the kind you hook up to the hose and spray. I would use again but I mostly use the Scott Snap System stuff for most of my general weed control.

I have tall fescue growing in my backyard.  I thought it was crabgrass but I guess not.  I put in hydroseed last July so this is the first full year of my lawn. Overall it is coming in well but I need to figure out how to get rid of the tall fescue.  What is the best way to get rid of that?  Of course, the lawn company is saying I should aerate and overseed this fall and that will squeeze out the tall fescue.  He also mentioned putting on some lime product as well.  So I don't know if he is just trying to upsell the crap out of me.  I thought I'd ask here first before making any decisions on what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of grass do you have?

I have tall fescue growing in my backyard.  I thought it was crabgrass but I guess not.  I put in hydroseed last July so this is the first full year of my lawn. Overall it is coming in well but I need to figure out how to get rid of the tall fescue.  What is the best way to get rid of that?  Of course, the lawn company is saying I should aerate and overseed this fall and that will squeeze out the tall fescue.  He also mentioned putting on some lime product as well.  So I don't know if he is just trying to upsell the crap out of me.  I thought I'd ask here first before making any decisions on what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.
:confused:  What kind of grass do you have?  We use "tall fescue" as our grass around here.  You're talking as if it's a weed.

How early are we talking?  I would think that any water that doesn't immediately soak in and left on the grass is going to burn off as soon as the sun gets hot.

*newb question, not doubting you.
I know this question is a few months old, but went unanswered, so here ya go. It is not that watering later in the day is bad, but watering in the early morning is the most effective because of the the cooler temperatures and the sun not being out. When you water during the day when it is hotter, a significant portion of the water is lost to evaporation before it gets to the soil.

Also, some people will tell you that if you water in the evening, you are putting your grass at risk of fungal diseases since it may sit wet for longer periods over night. While it is a consideration, if you do not have an automatic timer and irrigation system, if the only time you can water is in the evening and your lawn needs watering - it is better to water then not water. It would have to be a perfect storm of conditions to increase your chance of a fungal disease. After all, the grass is just fine after an evening rain or when it is wet from dew most of the night. But if your irrigation system is on a timer, I would still opt for an early morning watering.

OR....plant more fescue and have it take over...green grass all year up there I'd think.
If it were a fine blade fescue (red, chewings) it would probably be fine blended in with the bluegrass. But the common Tall Fescue is a rather course weedy looking grass much like crabgrass of quackgrass, it just looks out of place and is not a nice turfgrass. There are varieties of tall fescue that are a finer blade turf type grass, but that is probably not what is in his lawn.

If it were a fine blade fescue (red, chewings) it would probably be fine blended in with the bluegrass. But the common Tall Fescue is a rather course weedy looking grass much like crabgrass of quackgrass, it just looks out of place and is not a nice turfgrass. There are varieties of tall fescue that are a finer blade turf type grass, but that is probably not what is in his lawn.
Right it looks like crabgrass, weedy and out of place which is why I need to address it.  At least with crabgrass I could put weed and crabgrass killer on it.  I could use round up grass killer on the fescue but then I would have brown spots on my lawn.  I may just have to dig the chunks out and reseed those areas.  

I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I'm getting some quotes this weekend for 1/4 acre of brush to be cleared and prepped for seeding. Any guesses on the estimates I should expect?

Ok so need some advice. I've been in this house for 3 years come this November. This summer has been hell on my yard. Lack of rain, high temperatures, and way too much sun have wrecked my yard. It's basically all brown and dead except for the weeds that have been coming in like crazy. What are some grass types that do well with lots of sun light? I'm talking my yard basically is in full sun from the time the sun is up, until it goes down. There's a few spots that are shaded and of course those areas have nice thick, green grass.

I aerated and over-seeded last fall and my grass was looking great through early-July. But we've had hardly any rain since and my water bill was double what it usually is when I was watering it constantly, so I gave up there. Will putting down some Scott's Weed and Feed and Turf Builder help in the fall or am I cooked (or is my grass cooked)?

Right it looks like crabgrass, weedy and out of place which is why I need to address it.  At least with crabgrass I could put weed and crabgrass killer on it.  I could use round up grass killer on the fescue but then I would have brown spots on my lawn.  I may just have to dig the chunks out and reseed those areas.  
That's about your only option. Crabgrass can be killed with a herbicide because it is an annual, but the tall fescue is a perennial like the lawn grasses, so at the moment there are no herbicides that can differentiate between the tall fescue and the bluegrass.

Ok so need some advice. I've been in this house for 3 years come this November. This summer has been hell on my yard. Lack of rain, high temperatures, and way too much sun have wrecked my yard. It's basically all brown and dead except for the weeds that have been coming in like crazy. What are some grass types that do well with lots of sun light? I'm talking my yard basically is in full sun from the time the sun is up, until it goes down. There's a few spots that are shaded and of course those areas have nice thick, green grass.

I aerated and over-seeded last fall and my grass was looking great through early-July. But we've had hardly any rain since and my water bill was double what it usually is when I was watering it constantly, so I gave up there. Will putting down some Scott's Weed and Feed and Turf Builder help in the fall or am I cooked (or is my grass cooked)?
Where are you located?

You probably have "turf" fescue.
At the moment, I have nada.....they laid the prettiest fescue sod I've ever seen come off a truck in mid-May (despite my opposition).  Had to water that stuff a couple times a day really deep, then brown patch set in because of the temps (why I opposed in the first place).  Shortly after the brown patch set in, two of my irrigation zones quit working (electrical problem from construction traffic all over my yard for 8 months), so now....it's nothing but weeds and that nutsedge crap.  I plan on doing some major work this fall if they aren't willing to put more sod down.

At any rate, I use a couple of Lesco's products....I've had good success with their TriGold fescue and also their transition product.  Need to talk to the guy to see which is most appropriate for the yard now.

You're best bet is probably going to be a zoysia of some sort....it goes dormant during the winter though so if you want green all the time, fescue is probably going to be your best bet and you just manage the problems you face in summers like this one accordingly.  

Went on vacation several weeks ago and when I got home I was greeted with a heavy dose of crabgrass. This started last year and I was surprised because I've never had crabgrass. When it happened last year I bought XLR8 to nuke. Worked well but of course XLR8 is only temporary. So, this year I put down a crabgrass treatment early in the year in an attempt to get it before it could germinate. It not only didn't work but seemed to piss off the crabgrass which is now more widespread than ever.

So, my question to all the lawn care gurus is what can I do to permanently get rid of this ugly nuisance (other than the Scott's turf builder/crabgrass prevention which clearly did nothing)?

You're best bet is probably going to be a zoysia of some sort....it goes dormant during the winter though so if you want green all the time, fescue is probably going to be your best bet and you just manage the problems you face in summers like this one accordingly.  
I've thought about zoysia. I have fescue now, but with the lack of rain and loads of sun, it doesn't always hold up well. Plus when they put the sod down, they didn't put any topsoil down, so the sod is on clay, which doesn't help the weed issues.

You're getting ready to get rid of that "no rain" problem.
That's been the problem. When it's rained here this summer, it hasn't been a nice steady rain. We've gotten a ton of rain over short periods, which doesn't really help the grass.

Went on vacation several weeks ago and when I got home I was greeted with a heavy dose of crabgrass. This started last year and I was surprised because I've never had crabgrass. When it happened last year I bought XLR8 to nuke. Worked well but of course XLR8 is only temporary. So, this year I put down a crabgrass treatment early in the year in an attempt to get it before it could germinate. It not only didn't work but seemed to piss off the crabgrass which is now more widespread than ever.

So, my question to all the lawn care gurus is what can I do to permanently get rid of this ugly nuisance (other than the Scott's turf builder/crabgrass prevention which clearly did nothing)?
Lol we have the same problem. Never had crabgrass before, but last summer I was hammered with it. Used Scott's Crabgrass Preventer this spring to help take care of it. Didn't work at all come this summer.

Under normal circumstances, I think the fescue is probably fine.  You will always lose a bit during the summer.  It just doesn't like the heat.  It's manageable if you get SOME shade in a day, but it doesn't sound like you do.  I'd go zoysia if I were you.

Under normal circumstances, I think the fescue is probably fine.  You will always lose a bit during the summer.  It just doesn't like the heat.  It's manageable if you get SOME shade in a day, but it doesn't sound like you do.  I'd go zoysia if I were you.
Really not much shade at all. The sun rises in our backyard and starts being full sun around 7-8am during the Summer and doesn't start getting shade until about 3-4pm. The front is in the shade usually until about 10am and sees full sun until about 6-7pm in the Summer.

As for what to do from now through the fall, will it come back or am I screwed?

Really not much shade at all. The sun rises in our backyard and starts being full sun around 7-8am during the Summer and doesn't start getting shade until about 3-4pm. The front is in the shade usually until about 10am and sees full sun until about 6-7pm in the Summer.

As for what to do from now through the fall, will it come back or am I screwed?
Yeah, it's probably dead.  Just manage the crabgrass best you can.

ETA:  This is the circle of life with fescue down here ;)  

So was planning on doing some aerating this weekend. Problem is, we've had a good 2-3 inches of rain and possibly more tomorrow. How bad is it going to be if I aerate this weekend?

So was planning on doing some aerating this weekend. Problem is, we've had a good 2-3 inches of rain and possibly more tomorrow. How bad is it going to be if I aerate this weekend?
It's going to be a lot easier...I soak the crap out of my yard if we haven't had rain when I am going to aerate.  Obviously, if it's just going to make a mud pit in your yard, that's probably not a good idea.  If you are "sinking" into your yard while you walk on it, or water comes out from under your shoes while walking, it's probably too wet.

It's going to be a lot easier...I soak the crap out of my yard if we haven't had rain when I am going to aerate.  Obviously, if it's just going to make a mud pit in your yard, that's probably not a good idea.  If you are "sinking" into your yard while you walk on it, or water comes out from under your shoes while walking, it's probably too wet.
Yeah I know some rain is good and makes it a lot easier, I'm just worried since it's pretty much rained since Tuesday here. Slight chance tomorrow, but the sun hasn't been out so the yard is definitely soggy.

Is there a cheap, effective way to get rid of poison ivy? There seems to be a good bit in my new back yard and I want to eradicate that ####

Users who are viewing this thread