What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawn Care Tips (1 Viewer)

top dog said:
First of all, let me say finding this thread was maybe more of a challenge than keeping your lawn top notch.  :(

Live in northeast Ohio and was planning on using the dormant seeding approach recommended in this thread. What I'm not sure is if I can put down crab grass preventer around Easter without killing any new grass. 

So here was my basic approach that has worked well the last couple years. Not too crazy. Lawn has gone from being mostly weeds to one of the better ones on the street. And honestly, that's all we REALLY care about don't we?

Around memorial day - Put down Scott's Spring weed and feed.  This is always challenging to do earlier in the year as it tends to rain buckets from march to may. 

Around Labor day - Put down Scotts Fall Winterguard Weed and Feed

I over-seeded the lawn with an over-seeder two years ago in the fall. 

This was my plan this year...

1) Dormant over-seed NOW - ground is pretty much frozen, grass is dormant, no snow cover. 

2) Crabgrass Preventer - Easter

3) Spring Weed and Feed - Memorial Day

4) Fall Winterguard Weed and Feed - Labor Day

Considering the dormant seeding over the winter won't start germating until the spring, can I still do the crabgrass preventer around Easter? 
If you put seed down now all it will do is feed the birds. Seed, just like crabgrass needs soil temps in at least the 60's to germinate. You could pre-germinate some seed in the spring, prior to the crabgrass preventer application, wait until late summer/early fall to overseed.

top dog said:
First of all, let me say finding this thread was maybe more of a challenge than keeping your lawn top notch.  :(

Live in northeast Ohio and was planning on using the dormant seeding approach recommended in this thread. What I'm not sure is if I can put down crab grass preventer around Easter without killing any new grass. 

So here was my basic approach that has worked well the last couple years. Not too crazy. Lawn has gone from being mostly weeds to one of the better ones on the street. And honestly, that's all we REALLY care about don't we?

Around memorial day - Put down Scott's Spring weed and feed.  This is always challenging to do earlier in the year as it tends to rain buckets from march to may. 

Around Labor day - Put down Scotts Fall Winterguard Weed and Feed

I over-seeded the lawn with an over-seeder two years ago in the fall. 

This was my plan this year...

1) Dormant over-seed NOW - ground is pretty much frozen, grass is dormant, no snow cover. 

2) Crabgrass Preventer - Easter

3) Spring Weed and Feed - Memorial Day

4) Fall Winterguard Weed and Feed - Labor Day

Considering the dormant seeding over the winter won't start germating until the spring, can I still do the crabgrass preventer around Easter? 
I would think not.   I would think that seed isn't going to germinate in time.    I know nothing about dormant seeding since I always seed in late summer, but its obviously a thing that some people do that miss that window so I guess they just skip the pre-emergent?  

If you put seed down now all it will do is feed the birds. Seed, just like crabgrass needs soil temps in at least the 60's to germinate. You could pre-germinate some seed in the spring, prior to the crabgrass preventer application, wait until late summer/early fall to overseed.
Agreed.  I don't see value of this winter seeding thing.  

So I had an inadvertent case-study on seed germination.  I'm in Central NJ.  I had my driveway re-done in late September, and then did some trenching to get electric to my shed....Did some back-fill and seeding in mid/late October.  That grass came in pretty well despite a few nights with frost.  It's still got some green even now.  

We then had our front paver walk re-done the week after Thanksgiving.  Spots around that were also seeded.  NOTHING there has come in yet.  Not a bit.  So in my eyes, for most of us in this climate band, it seems anything after Thanksgiving or so likely won't grow at all.

So I had an inadvertent case-study on seed germination.  I'm in Central NJ.  I had my driveway re-done in late September, and then did some trenching to get electric to my shed....Did some back-fill and seeding in mid/late October.  That grass came in pretty well despite a few nights with frost.  It's still got some green even now.  

We then had our front paver walk re-done the week after Thanksgiving.  Spots around that were also seeded.  NOTHING there has come in yet.  Not a bit.  So in my eyes, for most of us in this climate band, it seems anything after Thanksgiving or so likely won't grow at all.
There are micro climates everywhere that are perfect (or not) for growing things. Always look at soil temperature as a guide for planting or seeding.

https://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature

Once you get freeze you wont get growth. We've had mild fall winters where the week before Thanksgiving maybe.

I've had some success with some seed blankets on the past if you must seed off schedule

Not at that time of year.  I think the idea with dormant seeding is that the seed will germinate in the spring.   

I’m about 40 days into a new Pro Vista St. Augustine lawn (7 pallets of turf) and have to say I’m loving it. The back and sides of the house are easy going, but the front is taking a beating in the FL heat so I spot water it every morning. It’s bug and drought resistant, and very slow growing. I estimate mowing it every 3-4 weeks based on the growth I’ve seen so far. That’s pretty good for FL in summer imo. Highly recommend this stuff if you’re in this region. It’s worth the extra cost imo. 

ETA: I also have a service spraying it once a month with different treatments and it really helps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a hand-me-down Honda top line mower from one of my neighbors a few years ago that finally really bit the dust so I'm back in the market for a new mower.

We have a quarter acre typical suburban lot with zoysia in the front and winter rye predominantly in the back yard (big dogs that otherwise tear up grass).

I had started to look at the electric mowers like the Makita professional series (Makita XML03CM1 36V LXT) or looking to purchase a new Honda like the HRN216VKA.

With my grass type and yard size I'm a tad concerned if I'd regret electric or if it'd choke on my grass. My Honda from my neighbor has also been a kind of lemon so I'm a tad gunshy for another, but open to any suggestions of additional brands or models you all use/love. Thanks!

I got a hand-me-down Honda top line mower from one of my neighbors a few years ago that finally really bit the dust so I'm back in the market for a new mower.

We have a quarter acre typical suburban lot with zoysia in the front and winter rye predominantly in the back yard (big dogs that otherwise tear up grass).

I had started to look at the electric mowers like the Makita professional series (Makita XML03CM1 36V LXT) or looking to purchase a new Honda like the HRN216VKA.

With my grass type and yard size I'm a tad concerned if I'd regret electric or if it'd choke on my grass. My Honda from my neighbor has also been a kind of lemon so I'm a tad gunshy for another, but open to any suggestions of additional brands or models you all use/love. Thanks!
How old was the honda?

I owned one for 20 years and my current is 3.....

I wouldnt buy another :oldunsure:

How old was the honda?

I owned one for 20 years and my current is 3.....

I wouldnt buy another :oldunsure:
I honestly forget, but it's one of those super top of the line, how much did he pay for this level ones. Makes me worried the $400-500 ones could be just as shaky.

If you could do it over again, what brand(s) would you have bought instead? All of my neighbors seem to be going electric but I worry it'll be my next big headache of problems vs. a gas one.

I honestly forget, but it's one of those super top of the line, how much did he pay for this level ones. Makes me worried the $400-500 ones could be just as shaky.

If you could do it over again, what brand(s) would you have bought instead? All of my neighbors seem to be going electric but I worry it'll be my next big headache of problems vs. a gas one.
If I could do it over again I would buy my Honda..... :lmao:  I think I paid 850..... dont remember

So I'm no help..... I say good day!!#@ :)

Anyone here successfully get rid of voles? I am willing to pay a service if it actually works. 
You can buy some kind of vole repellent and essentially move them away from your property (into your neighbor’s property most likely if you have them). It’s not good around dogs and doesn’t last forever. They’re a scourge for sure. 

You can buy some kind of vole repellent and essentially move them away from your property (into your neighbor’s property most likely if you have them). It’s not good around dogs and doesn’t last forever. They’re a scourge for sure. 
Has this worked for you? I’m willing, just don’t want to spend a bunch of money and time just to lose. 

I’m about 40 days into a new Pro Vista St. Augustine lawn (7 pallets of turf) and have to say I’m loving it. The back and sides of the house are easy going, but the front is taking a beating in the FL heat so I spot water it every morning. It’s bug and drought resistant, and very slow growing. I estimate mowing it every 3-4 weeks based on the growth I’ve seen so far. That’s pretty good for FL in summer imo. Highly recommend this stuff if you’re in this region. It’s worth the extra cost imo. 

ETA: I also have a service spraying it once a month with different treatments and it really helps. 

I need to have some sod replaced in my front yard. Did you do it yourself? If not, do you mind posting what you paid per square ft for the sod/installation?

@Ilov80s  I was being serious.  😆I've killed 3 of those bastards using this.  I didn't want to, but I work too damn hard on that lawn to have those son #####es wrecking it.  I tried the more humane stuff, but nothing worked so I had to go nuclear.    Not sure if it will works on voles though. 

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-OSight-Mole-Trap-0631/dp/B00004RAMY/?th=1
I didn’t mean to click the laugh. Meant to hit thanks. It’s maybe worth a shot. 

I need to have some sod replaced in my front yard. Did you do it yourself? If not, do you mind posting what you paid per square ft for the sod/installation?
I had a company install it that is exclusive to Council Growers Sod (Wimauma). You can buy direct from them as I did a while back with some Zoysia that failed. Instant Green is their installers name. I had the whole yard done with the Pro Vista so it wasn’t cheap, but I don’t remember the square footage cost. They did a great job  though. 

Has this worked for you? I’m willing, just don’t want to spend a bunch of money and time just to lose. 
It has worked, but they’re back. My dog loves hunting for them, but we’ll probably put down more repellent and direct them away from here shortly. 

I hate these St Augustine lawns.  They cost a fortune to keep them looking nice. 

I hate these St Augustine lawns.  They cost a fortune to keep them looking nice. 

And it's not even nice grass, its too bladey.

If I could put different grass in, I'd 86 the St Augustine in a second, but HOA won't allow it.
I wasn’t a fan of it either until I got Pro Vista (dwarf variety). It’s slow growing, insect resistant, and low water bearing. I do pay for lawn a service, but it’s not crazy expensive. It’s been going strong for a year+ now. My irrigation setup was greatly updated prior to installation and I think that’s key. It consists of all low flow MP rotator heads. I loathe Bahia and Zoysia just doesn’t work at all imo.

I wasn’t a fan of it either until I got Pro Vista (dwarf variety). It’s slow growing, insect resistant, and low water bearing. I do pay for lawn a service, but it’s not crazy expensive. It’s been going strong for a year+ now. My irrigation setup was greatly updated prior to installation and I think that’s key. It consists of all low flow MP rotator heads. I loathe Bahia and Zoysia just doesn’t work at all imo.
How about you come over and get me set up. 😉

And it's not even nice grass, its too bladey.

If I could put different grass in, I'd 86 the St Augustine in a second, but HOA won't allow it.
Yep. I was watching Better Call Saul the other night and there's a scene where the characters put their bare feet in the grass to feel how soft it is. Nope. Not down here it's not.

I need a lawn care tip.  I have thousands of little black maple trees starting to grow in my lawn.  Just little leaves peeking up.  How can I control these without pesticides?  Is there anything sorta natural to use?  

My lawn is less than 2 years old and unfortunately has a lot of winter kill due to lack of snowfall and snow cover this past winter.  I am probably going to have to over seed it this fall after completely planting a new lawn 2 years ago.  My wife forgot to sign up for the annual spray plan by the local lawn company so while I was at the store today picking up other things I looked in the lawn section for something to put on my yard to hopefully help bring some of it back.  

I got to looking at the Scotts lawn care system.  A 4 step system costs $270. My local company charged me $350 last year for 4 applications.  Yes, it is $80 more, but it is commercial grade lawn care and I don't have to put it on.  When I got back home, I called the owner and asked if I could still get on the list for this year.  He said yes, but we are not going to do the weed kill application in the fall because I will be planting then.  

Check with your local lawn care professional. It may not be as much more as you think and your lawn will look much better.

snellman said:
My lawn is less than 2 years old and unfortunately has a lot of winter kill due to lack of snowfall and snow cover this past winter.  I am probably going to have to over seed it this fall after completely planting a new lawn 2 years ago.  My wife forgot to sign up for the annual spray plan by the local lawn company so while I was at the store today picking up other things I looked in the lawn section for something to put on my yard to hopefully help bring some of it back.  

I got to looking at the Scotts lawn care system.  A 4 step system costs $270. My local company charged me $350 last year for 4 applications.  Yes, it is $80 more, but it is commercial grade lawn care and I don't have to put it on.  When I got back home, I called the owner and asked if I could still get on the list for this year.  He said yes, but we are not going to do the weed kill application in the fall because I will be planting then.  

Check with your local lawn care professional. It may not be as much more as you think and your lawn will look much better.
You should be overseeing every fall

snellman said:

Why do you assume it would look better?

I haven't been good about regularly mowing my lawn and now it has grown so long that I don't think my push mower could handle it.

Good options at this point? Burn it down? Rent a scythe? 

I haven't been good about regularly mowing my lawn and now it has grown so long that I don't think my push mower could handle it.

Good options at this point? Burn it down? Rent a scythe? 
Same. I made sure I had a cold six pack and jacked the mower up as high as it would go. I used the bag so the mulch wouldn’t choke the blade. Took a while and most of the six pack but looks ok. Will mow faster this week.  

snellman said:

Respectfully disagree.  Those guys will throw #### down if it's needed or not, whether it's the right time or not, if it's raining, snowing, ground is soaked or dry.  You're much better doing it yourself IMO, and it's (potentially) cheaper.

Respectfully disagree.  Those guys will throw #### down if it's needed or not, whether it's the right time or not, if it's raining, snowing, ground is soaked or dry.  You're much better doing it yourself IMO, and it's (potentially) cheaper.
I guess I am lucky I live in a smaller community.  I know the owner of the company that does my lawn and they do a very good job. They just put the first application on today. The wife forgot to sign us up for the annual this winter (I will blame her because she goes through the mail) so it is a little later than normal. I have an 8500 sq ft lawn, it cost me $68 for the first time application.  By comparison, the Scotts 4 step lawn care costs $240 for the 4 step annual program so it will cost me approximately $30 more for the year. I will gladly pay the difference to have someone that knows what they are doing take care of my lawn.

Users who are viewing this thread