What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2009 Rookie TE's (1 Viewer)

jgb95

Footballguy
How do you rank them?

Brandon Pettigrew DET

Richard Quinn DEN

Jared Cook TEN

Chase Coffman CIN

Travis Beckum NYG

Shawn Nelson BUF

James Casey HOU

or someone else if you think they merit.

PPR leagues

Quinn should not be drafted. He is only a blocking TE.

Ingram should also be on that list. He has as much fantasy upside as any of them, but probably is the biggest risk too, if drafting a TE in round 4 of a rookie draft counts as risk.

I would rank it:

Pettigrew - may never be the PPR beast Witten or Gates is, but will be solid

Beckum - could be Eli's version of Dallas Clark - a lot of upside as a receiving-only TE

Nelson - almost as sure a thing as Pettigrew, but less upside given Buffalo's O

Cook - good measurables, but I think he's a risk of being a workout warrior

Coffman - poor man's Cooley, but will the O use the TE at all?

Casey - has potential to be very good, but Owen Daniels stands in the way, and usually you don't keep a backup TE around

Ingram - has more upside than Celek, but will take a year or two to produce like Casey

This years tight end prospects are VERY good, i don't remember a bunch of TE's in the same draft who could each be dominant fantasy forces. I value upside a lot in Tight ends, because having a top 5 TE gives you a huge boost over the other teams in the league because the drop off from tier 1 to tier 2 is very significant.

1) Chase Coffman

2) Jared Cook

3) Travis Beckum

4) Brandon Pettigrew

5) James Casey

6) Shawn Nelson

7) Richard Quinn

As a fantasy owner i'd be pretty happy to own any of the top 5 maybe 6 tight ends in my rankings.

Last edited:
How do you rank them?Brandon Pettigrew DETRichard Quinn DENJared Cook TENChase Coffman CINTravis Beckum NYGShawn Nelson BUFJames Casey HOUor someone else if you think they merit.PPR leagues
Cook will be the stud from this group. He's got freakish speed for his size (4.4) and catches everything. He can't block worth a lick, but I like my fantasy TEs to be able to catch, not block. Pettigrew will be a good NFL TE, but a mediocre fantasy TE. He blocks really well and will probably end up blocking more than catching. Third, I like Nelson. He's another athletic TE with upside and is in a good situation. Then I like Beckum, Casey, Coffman, then Quinn from your group listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
This years tight end prospects are VERY good, i don't remember a bunch of TE's in the same draft who could each be dominant fantasy forces. I value upside a lot in Tight ends, because having a top 5 TE gives you a huge boost over the other teams in the league because the drop off from tier 1 to tier 2 is very significant.

1) Chase Coffman

2) Jared Cook

3) Travis Beckum

4) Brandon Pettigrew

5) James Casey

6) Shawn Nelson

7) Richard Quinn

As a fantasy owner i'd be pretty happy to own any of the top 5 maybe 6 tight ends in my rankings.
As a group, pehaps but I don't think any of them is better then Olsen, Miller (2007) or Keller, Carlson (2008).

Right now, I'd tier them this way:

Tier 1 -- Cook, Pettigrew, Beckum -- all will have the opportunity to produce this year, Beckum borderline Tier 1-2

Tier 2 -- Nelson -- interesting situation with being surrounded by solid skill position players and could be checkdown option

Tier 3 -- Casey, Coffman, Quinn -- either currently blocked by a stud pass-catching TE or not in an offense that has historically featured the TE.

Two months from now, could be a different story...

This is my darkhorse from this class. "Raw" doesn't even begin to describe it, but Miller is a physical freak that went to a team with desperate need.

Zach Miller 6-4 233 TE Nebraska-Omaha

40 yard Dash Not invited to the combine ran 4.53 on UNO Pro Day

Vertical Jump Not invited to the combine 37.5” on UNO Pro Day

Birthday 10/4/1984 Age: 24

The Good: Was invited to the division II all-star game where he had less than a month to learn the tight end position and he had five receptions for 116 yards. Has put on 17 pounds since ending his college career. Had a better 40 time and vertical jump on Pro Day than any tight end who attended the combine.

The Bad: Played QB in college. Played against division II competition. Will take time for him to master the new position and gain bulk.

The Truth: Recruited by Nebraska to play quarterback when Frank Solich was still running the show, transferred up the road to Omaha when Solich was let go. Had 1000 yards rushing and passing last season. He has as much upside as anybody in the draft and has proved that he is willing to put in the extra work needed for him to succeed at the next level. Will likely find sticking around difficult but if he is given a chance he could be the sleeper steal tight end of this class.

Drafted: Jacksonville Jaguars-Round 6-Pick Number 180

Couch Potato said:
FantasyTrader said:
Zach Miller 6-4 233 TE Nebraska-Omaha
What are the odds of two guys both named Zach Miller and both tight ends being in the NFL. :goodposting:
As crazy as two guys both named Adrian Peterson being running backs.

This class doesn't have the uber prospect like Winslow or Vernon Davis but as someone mentioned it does feature some guys with decent athleticism and pass catching skills.

How do you rank them?Brandon Pettigrew DETRichard Quinn DENJared Cook TENChase Coffman CINTravis Beckum NYGShawn Nelson BUFJames Casey HOUor someone else if you think they merit.PPR leagues
Cook will be the stud from this group. He's got freakish speed for his size (4.4) and catches everything. He can't block worth a lick, but I like my fantasy TEs to be able to catch, not block. Pettigrew will be a good NFL TE, but a mediocre fantasy TE. He blocks really well and will probably end up blocking more than catching. Third, I like Nelson. He's another athletic TE with upside and is in a good situation. Then I like Beckum, Casey, Coffman, then Quinn from your group listed.
Coffman caught 90 passes/10 TDs last year and missed two games. He can line up in the slot and has Carson Palmer throwing the rock. He is Dwight Clark like. I really like his chances in Cincinnati.

Coffman looks so stiff. I'd be absolutely shocked if he amounted to anything in the NFL. I see him as 40-50 catch TE at best in the league. I just don't see the whole posting guys up working consistently at the NFL level.

Ingram should also be on that list. He has as much fantasy upside as any of them, but probably is the biggest risk too, if drafting a TE in round 4 of a rookie draft counts as risk.

I would rank it:

Beckum - could be Eli's version of Dallas Clark - a lot of upside as a receiving-only TE

Casey - has potential to be very good, but Owen Daniels stands in the way, and usually you don't keep a backup TE around

Ingram - has more upside than Celek, but will take a year or two to produce like Casey
HUH? How does he have less upside based on the Bills O?

I would rank it:

Who would be Beckum's version of Peyton Manning though?

I couldn't find a thread devoted to Pettigrew but this one looked worth bumping to discuss him.

I see him falling off the board in 200+ player redrafts so there's really no risk taking him as a TE2.

Who's at WR that will benefit from Calvin Johnson's double coverage? Northcutt and Colbert? Barf. Rookie QBs can get into a groove hitting the TE, and no matter how often he's called on to block Pettigrew will be running routes in many passing situations (and there will indeed be many for the Lions). At 6'6" he'll get red zone looks.

Nelson is the guy I like for this year and Beckum for the TE2 for future.
Really? And why is that? I'd like it the other way. With TO drawing a lot of looks, Nelson will be more of a future player than seeing any type of realistic numbers from him this year. I see Beckum being a huge "green zone" target as well as Ramses Barden.

I agree, I just don't want him to be another Scheffler, he has to be able to stay on the field. Given the Titans line and WRs, I think he will even if he doesn't block better, but I'd be more confident if he did. He can be another Gates.

From a dynasty perspective, because unless you're in 16+ team leagues or start more than one TE you shouldn't expect much from any rookie TE's

Jared Cook, James Casey, Travis Beckum, and Shawn Nelson are the upside plays - in that order. Brandon Pettigrew probably won't ever be great, but could be a low end TE1 for a long time. He's the safe play.

I have very little confidence in Chase Coffman and Cornelius Ingram (and this was before tearing his acl).

If I'm digging deep I'm looking at that Zach Miller character, but highly doubt I roster him right now.

Will be very interested to see how Coffman performs tonight - he'll surely get a lot of reps. They haven't really had a guy like him in a long time (Utecht was supposed to be that guy but has been injured a bunch). He's got a clear path to starting time with the injuries they've had at that position. How the O-Line jells will be a big factor - the more blocking they need the TE to do, the more you'll probably see Daniel Coats out there. Still, I think he'll perform better than what's been usual for the Bengals at that position.

-QG

As far as TE's go, id say

Coffman, Pettigrew, Beckum.

I think Cook is the best amongst the group the for fantasy purposes, however, I think this could end up similarly to what happened with Colston, as he was eventually moved to WR. I think Colston was TE coming in at least.

If Cook really is as bad a blocker as what Ive been reading, Id expect TEN to either run a lot of two TE sets, or move him to WR. I think moving him to WR is the most likely, as I dont think two TE sets are that popular these days.

Unless he learns how to block of course. This (along with injuries) has kept Scheffler from really becoming elite.

So i hope he goes the way of Colston to be honest. I could use a WR on my teams too.

Users who are viewing this thread