What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (2 Viewers)

So Friday or Saturday night will now be a Biker Bash theme night were everyone comes in Biker gear? You know Full Throttle style
Probably won't take it to that level but who knows. May do something like custom cuts / patches w/ vests for judging day instead of the plain old polo shirts or t shirts like everyone else. Could be a fun way to win over judges. Who knows though... the concept is only 24 hours old.

Why are you paying money to anyone? I don't get it.
To field a "team" at the World Championship of BBQ it costs...a lot.

Our budget is 20-25k for a 4 day party and a bunch of entries. ~20 guys... $400 each is $8k of that. The rest comes from sponsors who give 5-12k to bring clients into the booth to eat/drink. Everything adds up since everyone who comes into our booth enjoys everything for free. Free BBQ. Free Booze. No Cover. If you're on the list it's all on us.
What do you get if you win the "World Championship"?
Giant hardware for your soon to be open (or currently opened) restaurant.... plus a $12-15k check I believe.

Our budget is 20-25k for a 4 day party and a bunch of entries. ~20 guys... $400 each is $8k of that. The rest comes from sponsors who give 5-12k to bring clients into the booth to eat/drink. Everything adds up since everyone who comes into our booth enjoys everything for free. Free BBQ. Free Booze. No Cover. If you're on the list it's all on us.
Giant hardware for your soon to be open (or currently opened) restaurant.... plus a $12-15k check I believe.
The whole thing seems odd.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
[icon] said:
[icon] said:

:shrug: What seems odd?

It's ~400 teams from all around the world that compete for one of the most coveted titles in the competition BBQ circuit. Most of the biggest name pitmasters are out there and very accessible... Myron Mixon, Tuffy Stone, etc. They set up "tents" in a mile long park along the banks of the Mighty Mississippi river and hickory and fruitwood smoke wafts through downtown for 3-4 days. You eat/drink and be merry. At night it turns into a giant party with some bigger teams having 2 and 3 story scaffolding structures built on their lots. Music's blaring, booze is flowing, folks are flirting and mingling. It's a damn damn good time.

Unless that's not your idea of a good time... then it's not. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lagunitas supposed to be shipping anywhere from 4 to 14 kegs of Lagunitas IPA to me right before the festival. :popcorn:

Word is, it's pretty tasty. Not yet distributed in Memphis so they're booking a special truck run from Nashville over to me. :banned: Pretty cool guys to deal wtih.

All you have to do is ribs for the comp? Where is the challenge in that?
For MBN you compete in either Ribs, Shoulder, or hog. Rest assured the level of competition at this event is more than your average "Cul-de-sac championship" ;) A win here can launch a successful restaurant. There are also ancillary contests that many teams compete in.. Beef, Seafood, Poultry, sauces (tomato, mustard, vinegar base), Beans, Slaw, etc etc etc. Those are quite competitive as well.
Cool, well good luck.

Lagunitas supposed to be shipping anywhere from 4 to 14 kegs of Lagunitas IPA to me right before the festival. :popcorn:

Word is, it's pretty tasty. Not yet distributed in Memphis so they're booking a special truck run from Nashville over to me. :banned: Pretty cool guys to deal wtih.
:thumbup: Lagunitas is a pretty great brewery. Not a surprise that you hicks have to go all the way to California to get your hands on some good beer. :wink:

:thumbup: Lagunitas is a pretty great brewery. Not a surprise that you hicks have to go all the way to California to get your hands on some good beer. :wink:
Yeah honestly there are a buncha micro breweries around here but none of them are churning out anything special. The hillbillies down here do know their bourbon/whiskey though.... which is nice :lol:

Settled on 7 kegs with Lagunitas.

Sadly we just didn't have enough refrigeration for the 10 they were going to load onto a truck. Yes, that's right... we declined 3 free kegs of Lagunitas IPA. The beer nerd in me is kicking myself in the junk. :lol: We downgraded our 15 Free kegs of PBR to 10 kegs as well just because we didn't want to have that many shells lying around. Working on a large chest freezer to hold 4 kegs at a time. 2 in the True TDD-2 kegerator. Then have 2 keg icing stations for pre-chilling kegs as well (warm kegs going into a kegerator = foamy ### beer). Booze order is confirmed... 10 Cases of Sobieski Vodka again (Six 1.75L Handles per case) for a total of 60 handles, or ~2400 standard 1.5oz Pours. :banned: Red Bull is providing ~50 cases of product including a bunch of the new blueberry/etc flavors. Plus 4 hi-top tables, 2 redbull can ice bins, and a big ### redbull bar-top fridge. Starting off with 9 cases of 36ct 16oz water bottles behind the bar but we'll need to reload. Getting two 6gal water jerry cans for mixing batches of the Vodka Lemonade / Vodka Sweet Tea (in 5gal igloos w spouts).Bringing a small hydroponic pump with a length of hose to siphon water out of keg barrels since moving those things while full of meltwater is a PITA. Slowly but surely things are coming together... Gotta clean the backwoods smoker this weekend (been stored in my backyard unused for a few months) and get a clean burn in it to prep it for the festival.

Load-in starts in 9 days.

Sadly we just didn't have enough refrigeration for the 10 they were going to load onto a truck. Yes, that's right... we declined 3 free kegs of Lagunitas IPA. The beer nerd in me is kicking myself in the junk. :lol: We downgraded our 15 Free kegs of PBR to 10 kegs as well just because we didn't want to have that many shells lying around.

This seems like a solution in search of a problem.

:shrug: What seems odd? It's ~400 teams from all around the world that compete for one of the most coveted titles in the competition BBQ circuit. Most of the biggest name pitmasters are out there and very accessible... Myron Mixon, Tuffy Stone, etc. They set up "tents" in a mile long park along the banks of the Mighty Mississippi river and hickory and fruitwood smoke wafts through downtown for 3-4 days. You eat/drink and be merry. At night it turns into a giant party with some bigger teams having 2 and 3 story scaffolding structures built on their lots. Music's blaring, booze is flowing, folks are flirting and mingling. It's a damn damn good time.

Unless that's not your idea of a good time... then it's not. :)
:goodposting: No matter how a person describes it, until you do it, it will never compare to being there.

The smell of the BBQ, the drunken stuper that sneaks up on you around dusk, the hotass women walking around, the elaborate and impressive "tents" people come up with...

It's so much fun. My dad and his team cooked in MIM and many other smaller events for about 15 years, which luckily was from when I was 16-30, which was perfect! I hated to hear it when they decided to not do it anymore. Their main category was shoulder, came in 2nd a couple years for shoulder.

Lots of fun, can't wait for this year!

I am not interested in the drinking or parties but would love to just peruse around and do tastings and watch the various setups.

Can a general admission ticket be purchased to do this or do you have to be invited by one of the teams?

Sadly we just didn't have enough refrigeration for the 10 they were going to load onto a truck. Yes, that's right... we declined 3 free kegs of Lagunitas IPA. The beer nerd in me is kicking myself in the junk. :lol: We downgraded our 15 Free kegs of PBR to 10 kegs as well just because we didn't want to have that many shells lying around.

This seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Valid point.. the problem is every square foot of space is infinitely valuable (reason why teams build 2 and 3 story booths out of scaffolding. The last thing I want to do is drink a lot leading up to BBQfest (need to go in with a clear head and liver) and the last thing I want to do is drink for at least a week after BBQfest. Leaves us in a tough spot :)

I am not interested in the drinking or parties but would love to just peruse around and do tastings and watch the various setups.

Can a general admission ticket be purchased to do this or do you have to be invited by one of the teams?
General admission gets you into the park but not into the tents.

Kingsford Tour of Champions is a new program that allows you to go around and "live judge" several teams. This is the closest thing you'll get to what you're talking about. Unfortunately due to health codes, not only can we not sell BBQ to the public, we can't even GIVE it away without risk of penalty. The only people we can feed and give drinks to are "invited guests". We are also barred from charging entry to our booths, or selling anything really (though everyone sells TShirts so they turn a blind eye to that).

[icon] said:
[General admission gets you into the park but not into the tents. Kingsford Tour of Champions is a new program that allows you to go around and "live judge" several teams. This is the closest thing you'll get to what you're talking about. Unfortunately due to health codes, not only can we not sell BBQ to the public, we can't even GIVE it away without risk of penalty. The only people we can feed and give drinks to are "invited guests". We are also barred from charging entry to our booths, or selling anything really (though everyone sells TShirts so they turn a blind eye to that).
Great, thank you for the information. I have always wanted to go to various bbq comps but figured I would not be able to do what I hoped. I will read up on the Kingsford Tour of ChampionsAre these rules you mentioned the same at most big BBQ competitions?

[icon] said:
[General admission gets you into the park but not into the tents. Kingsford Tour of Champions is a new program that allows you to go around and "live judge" several teams. This is the closest thing you'll get to what you're talking about. Unfortunately due to health codes, not only can we not sell BBQ to the public, we can't even GIVE it away without risk of penalty. The only people we can feed and give drinks to are "invited guests". We are also barred from charging entry to our booths, or selling anything really (though everyone sells TShirts so they turn a blind eye to that).
Great, thank you for the information. I have always wanted to go to various bbq comps but figured I would not be able to do what I hoped.I will read up on the Kingsford Tour of Champions

Are these rules you mentioned the same at most big BBQ competitions?
READ MORE... <--- Kingsford TOC

Generally speaking smaller festivals are more liberal with the sampling. The problem with a place like MIM BBQfest is you've got 100k people there... if they DID allow sampling, it would be next to impossible to provide samples anyway. Hell as it is the teams cook over 50,000lbs of food over the course of the 3 day festival. WITHOUT public sampling :lol:

Great, thank you for the information. I have always wanted to go to various bbq comps but figured I would not be able to do what I hoped.I will read up on the Kingsford Tour of Champions

Generally speaking smaller festivals are more liberal with the sampling. The problem with a place like MIM BBQfest is you've got 100k people there... if they DID allow sampling, it would be next to impossible to provide samples anyway. Hell as it is the teams cook over 50,000lbs of food over the course of the 3 day festival. WITHOUT public sampling :lol:
who eats it all?

culdeus said:

who eats it all?
250-300 teams 50-500 guests per team per night. 4 day/night long festival.

The day's shoulders getting rubbed down >

Tipsy Mixing A Scratch Jambalaya for our "Slow" night on Wednesday

Everything is done to absolute excess.

Possible stupid quesion from a guy who hasnt read the entire thread-- How do you get to be a guest to be allowed into tents and whatnot?

culdeus said:

who eats it all?

The day's shoulders

>

culdeus said:

who eats it all?

The day's shoulders getting rubbed down >

getting rubbed down >

more pics imo

Bigboy10182000, on 07 May 2013 - 13:41, said:

Possible stupid quesion from a guy who hasnt read the entire thread-- How do you get to be a guest to be allowed into tents and whatnot?
No worries. You get to know people on a team and get invited in. For most folks it's by being friends/coworkers. Other people just come in town and hang out during the day. Ask to get in the right way, act the right way while inside, get invited back year after year. We have a couple who drives down from minnesota every year to come to our tent. They always have a spot on the list because they are pleasant to be around, always throw $50-100 in the tip jar for the weekend, and enjoy themselves. We enjoy "putting them up" for the fest every year. The right way to ask:

Go during the day... not TOO early (11am or so, teams are still cleaning up from the night before and you'll just be in they way). Look inside, if they look like they're relaxing, go ahead and try to get someone's attention. Explain you're in from out of town, and are interested in the whole process. Ask to look around, see the smoker, ask if the pitmaster has a few mins to chat. Most of those guys LOVE talking about their meat. ;) generally you'll be offered a beer. If you're offered a plate of food right off then consider yourself lucky. Don't just help yourself. Don't just ask for drinks/food. If nothing is offered and you're getting the impression you're not wanted, thank them politely and move on to another tent.

culdeus, on 07 May 2013 - 13:47, said:

[icon], on 07 May 2013 - 13:29, said:

getting rubbed down >

more pics imo
Sure. I post tons of pics every year. I'll likely set up a twitter feed and document it extensively this year. YOu can also follow Slab Yo Mama BBQ on Facebook.
sbonomo, on 07 May 2013 - 15:46, said:

[icon], on 03 May 2013 - 14:31, said:

BAM 2013 Slab Yo Mama shirt designs are out

Do you have a website that you sell these on?
Not currently selling THIS YEAR'S shirts online... will do so after. Previous years shirts can be found on our website. NOTE: The 2012 shirts are VERY soft, high quality shirts that are FITTED. Think american apparel cut. If you're between sizes order one size larger.

Bigboy10182000, on 07 May 2013 - 13:41, said:

No worries. You get to know people on a team and get invited in. For most folks it's by being friends/coworkers. Other people just come in town and hang out during the day. Ask to get in the right way, act the right way while inside, get invited back year after year. We have a couple who drives down from minnesota every year to come to our tent. They always have a spot on the list because they are pleasant to be around, always throw $50-100 in the tip jar for the weekend, and enjoy themselves. We enjoy "putting them up" for the fest every year.The right way to ask:

Go during the day... not TOO early (11am or so, teams are still cleaning up from the night before and you'll just be in they way). Look inside, if they look like they're relaxing, go ahead and try to get someone's attention. Explain you're in from out of town, and are interested in the whole process. Ask to look around, see the smoker, ask if the pitmaster has a few mins to chat. Most of those guys LOVE talking about their meat. ;) generally you'll be offered a beer. If you're offered a plate of food right off then consider yourself lucky. Don't just help yourself. Don't just ask for drinks/food. If nothing is offered and you're getting the impression you're not wanted, thank them politely and move on to another tent.

>culdeus, on 07 May 2013 - 13:47, said:

[icon], on 07 May 2013 - 13:29, said:

getting rubbed down >

more pics imo
Sure. I post tons of pics every year. I'll likely set up a twitter feed and document it extensively this year. YOu can also follow Slab Yo Mama BBQ on Facebook.
sbonomo, on 07 May 2013 - 15:46, said:

[icon], on 03 May 2013 - 14:31, said:

BAM 2013 Slab Yo Mama shirt designs are out

Do you have a website that you sell these on?
Not currently selling THIS YEAR'S shirts online... will do so after. Previous years shirts can be found on our website. NOTE: The 2012 shirts are VERY soft, high quality shirts that are FITTED. Think american apparel cut. If you're between sizes order one size larger.
Thanks...

Here you go guys...

I will try to remember to tweet updates/pics on this feed below:

TWITTER : FOLLOW MY SLAB YO MAMA UPDATES @MSAVARD

I will less frequently post updates to this thread as well. :thumbup: Goal will be to update quite a lot with images I find interesting.... assuming I have data coverage.

Forgive me if I "go dark" for a bit.. cell coverage can be spotty due to crowds and my attention span can go spotty due to booze.

Great beer.

Have heard/Read that Woz, never had a chance to try it though. Kinda psyched. Also found a team from Ontario who will be bringing in "real" canadian beer and whiskey. Will be trading some pitchers and drinking a bit with them. :banned:

Here you go guys...

I will try to remember to tweet updates/pics on this feed below:

TWITTER : FOLLOW MY SLAB YO MAMA UPDATES @MSAVARD

I will less frequently post updates to this thread as well. :thumbup: Goal will be to update quite a lot with images I find interesting.... assuming I have data coverage.

Forgive me if I "go dark" for a bit.. cell coverage can be spotty due to crowds and my attention span can go spotty due to booze.
I'm following!

Time for FBG to vote to determine the layout of the bar in our booth....
• Is drawn to scale on a 6" (dotted blue) / 1' (solid blue) grid.
• The Pink dots are structural scaffolding supports and cannot be moved.

ETA: Takes a minute for the Dropbox files to sync Apparently

OPTION 1 > In the Corner
PROS: Keep bar traffic lines away from the walkway through to the restrooms. Also provides more space for bar staff.
CONS: Forces lines only in front of "bar" and will have to consistently tell people to try to order drinks over the kegerator (to avoid logjams to/from restroom).

OPTION 2 > Along side wall
PROS: longer bar allows for more instinctive ordering traffic flow. Could result in less logjam in front of bathroom doors
CONS: May cause traffic lines to back up into bathroom walkway (?). Narrow 36" pathway behind bar for servers.

Thoughts?

OPTION 1 > In the Corner

PROS: Keep bar traffic lines away from the walkway through to the restrooms. Also provides more space for bar staff.

CONS: Forces lines only in front of "bar" and will have to consistently tell people to try to order drinks over the kegerator (to avoid logjams to/from restroom).

PROS: longer bar allows for more instinctive ordering traffic flow. Could result in less logjam in front of bathroom doors

CONS: May cause traffic lines to back up into bathroom walkway (?). Narrow 36" pathway behind bar for servers.

Thoughts?
Should probably ask Homer.

OPTION 1 > In the Corner

Thoughts?
Should probably ask Homer.
I tended bar all through college and have a pretty good idea of how traffic flows through these booths after 7 years of being on this team but I definitely like crowdsourcing stuff like this as there are some smart ####ers on this forum and you never know where you'll get someone throwing out an idea that makes a big difference. :thumbup:

Great news!

Tipsy / Neil not only just FINALLY got his permits for building McClure's Barbecue (finally!)... but he's also decided he can't stay away from Memphis in May BBQfest and is going to be making the trek up to party (and maybe do a little cooking) with Slab Yo Mama BBQ again this year!

:banned: :towelwave:

2 more days till the festival kicks off! Scaffold is built. Most of the bar supplies have been purchased. We will be loading it all in wednesday morning. Have buddied up with head guy from the team next door. Traded a keg of Lagunitas for 20 extra counterfeit 24hr wristbands and unfettered access to their tent. They have a ridiculous setup including 2 stripper poles with lit floors, fog and laser machines, an "octabong" that lowers over the bar... etc. Should be fun neighbors to party with.

Ugh load in time... everything is behind schedule due to the park being a mudpit from heavy rains at Musicfest last weekend. Then yesterday a scaffold worker fell from the top deck of BBQ Republic's construction and broke his elbow/shoulder, ribs, and back. WOrd is he will make a full recovery, but that shut down everything at the park for several hours as well. SO the schedule for the next couple days is:Tonight, Matt (team member / head guy from local scaffold company) will finish out our decking/flooring... then stain the lower level so it's dry tomorrow am. Tonight I'll also be hitting walmart/home depot/kroger to pick up all my remaining supplies that I've pre-ordered. Tomorrow at 6:30am a crew of guys are showing at my house with a trailer and we're loading the Kegerator, bar, and smoker onto the trailer. I'll be jumping in the shower and heading to work after that. They will head to the park and load it into the booth. Wednesday Morning, we'll load the rest of the bar supplies (vodka, mixers, keg barrels, drink dispensers, etc etc etc), then swing by the distributor to pick up the kegs of lagunitas and head down to the park to load everything in and set up the bar. Tipsy should be pulling into memphis around lunchtime or so I believe. Then... the games begin :banned:

Ugh load in time... everything is behind schedule due to the park being a mudpit from heavy rains at Musicfest last weekend. Then yesterday a scaffold worker fell from the top deck of BBQ Republic's construction and broke his elbow/shoulder, ribs, and back. WOrd is he will make a full recovery, but that shut down everything at the park for several hours as well. SO the schedule for the next couple days is:Tonight, Matt (team member / head guy from local scaffold company) will finish out our decking/flooring... then stain the lower level so it's dry tomorrow am. Tonight I'll also be hitting walmart/home depot/kroger to pick up all my remaining supplies that I've pre-ordered. Tomorrow at 6:30am a crew of guys are showing at my house with a trailer and we're loading the Kegerator, bar, and smoker onto the trailer. I'll be jumping in the shower and heading to work after that. They will head to the park and load it into the booth. Wednesday Morning, we'll load the rest of the bar supplies (vodka, mixers, keg barrels, drink dispensers, etc etc etc), then swing by the distributor to pick up the kegs of lagunitas and head down to the park to load everything in and set up the bar. Tipsy should be pulling into memphis around lunchtime or so I believe. Then... the games begin :banned:
Keep us updated...I can't wait to see the late night twitter pics!

Will do my best! :thumbup:

Will try to capture a cross section of various things (food prep/service... late night parties/ladies... impressive booth setups....etc) to give everyone as good a feel of the festival as you can get without actually going.

Will try to capture a cross section of various things (food prep/service... late night parties/ladies... impressive booth setups....etc) to give everyone as good a feel of the festival as you can get without actually going.
As long as it spares us from videos of Bree Olsen's cat (her actual cat, not inuendo).

Just made it back home. I grossly underestimated the complete AWESOMENESS of what I was getting into. What a great week. Ill have more to discuss later...but i gotta play w my boys, get a shower, and pass the heck out.

Quick Notes:

Try to sleep next year. 1 hour for a 36 hour stretch was pretty dumb.

Don't accept a drink at every tent you visit during the overnight hours....Fireball Whiskey, Jager, beer, jello shots, and god knows what else DO NOT MIX WELL. Amazingly I still got pit fired & food going for competition that morning without even throwing up.

And Krista4...no fair being such a hottie when my wife is 400 miles away

Mad, mad, mad props to ICON for getting me to come up, house me, and let me eyeball his lady friend all week.

:banned:
Tipsy's first take from a year ago.... and he's coming back this year. Brace yourself GB! At least this year you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into :lol:

As long as it spares us from videos of Bree Olsen's cat (her actual cat, not inuendo).
Speaking of cat's and pron stars... word from my buddy on the team next door (the one with the stripper poles) is that some dude on his team is tight with some porn star that lives locally and every year she shows up with her stripper friends and end up on the poles / bar for a bit. Yeah, i'll likely drop in for that...

Users who are viewing this thread