What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MEMPHIS BBQFest > 2023 > 1 Month Away - $100,000 budget due to inflation! (3 Viewers)

Looking forward to making my annual cruise by y'all's booth (just realized that two apostrophes in one word look kinda weird).

You first timers are in for all sorts of awesomeness on so many levels.
:thumbup:

Just wait till you see this year's setup.... it's going to be ridiculous.

I'll have you plus 1 on the guest list in case I'm not there for whatever reason.... but text me well in advance and I'll do my best to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUMP

10 Days till load in begins...

SAT MAY 10 : Building Scaffold

SUN MAY 11 : Lay Carpet, Load in Kegerator, Fridge, Bar, Liquor, Mixers, Banners, Decorations and do some basic setup.

MON MAY 12 / TUE MAY 13 : Some Food Load In / Off Days

WED MAY 14: Load in 24 Kegs, Cases of Ribs/Shoulder - Set up Booth. Friends/Family Night 5-10pm. Get Sleep

THU MAY 15: Arrive ~Noon to clean and get booth ready. Chill Day Party. Good Nighttime Party w/ DJ

FRI MAY 16: Arrive ~11am to clean. Cook Ancillary Entries. Good day Party That Builds to Wild Night Party. Live music 5-8. DJ 8-12.

SAT MAY 17th: Arrive 10am to clean & set up for Judging. Judging over by 1pm. Light party till awards at 5pm. Shut booth by 8pm.

SUN MAY 18th: Arrive 10am to break down booth and load everything back out and get some sleep.

:popcorn:

Looks like this year we'll have Ray Karpis, Sbonomo, and Possibly Jersey Tough Guys will be making their first BBQfest appearances this year.

:banned:

Reminder if you want to follow along at home:

TWITTER FEED: http://twitter.com/mccbbq

FACEBOOK FEED: http://facebook.com/mccluresbbq
flights booked...land around 5 on Thursday....will meet you at the site thursday night! Can't wait...

flights booked...land around 5 on Thursday....will meet you at the site thursday night! Can't wait...

Ticket package will be at hotel lobby desk under your name, sir. I will be behind the bar 5-8pm thursday so get down in time for me to welcome you with a pelting of hurricane jello shots. :lol:

Ticket package will be at hotel lobby desk under your name, sir. I will be behind the bar 5-8pm thursday so get down in time for me to welcome you with a pelting of hurricane jello shots. :lol:
giddy up!
Oh and if you eat a rib with a knife and fork we're throwing your ### in the mississippi river :lol:

will never happen....now i will amaze the team with my ability to drink and eat in mass quanities......

Also, is everyone there (at the park in general) there for a team party or is there other "general admission" stuff going on at night?

[icon] said:
Tusken Raider said:
Looking forward to making my annual cruise by y'all's booth (just realized that two apostrophes in one word look kinda weird).

You first timers are in for all sorts of awesomeness on so many levels.

Just wait till you see this year's setup.... it's going to be ridiculous.

I'll have you plus 1 on the guest list in case I'm not there for whatever reason.... but text me well in advance and I'll do my best to be there.
Will do, thanks! Looking forward to the new setup & Tipsy on display for the masses :headbang:

Assuming my first few days at work in Memphis aren't too crazy, I should at least be able to make a cameo maybe Thursday, definitely Friday.

Assuming my first few days at work in Memphis aren't too crazy, I should at least be able to make a cameo maybe Thursday, definitely Friday.
Trust me when I say this: It doesn't matter what work is like...you need to swing by the fest. Inbox me your real name and I'll get ya on the list.

Do you have room for anymore? I think i'll be done there at another tent but I would like to stop by and see your setup. And possibly try some food..........

Do you have room for anymore? I think i'll be done there at another tent but I would like to stop by and see your setup. And possibly try some food..........
Certainly. Inbox your full name for the guestlist. I'll get ya on the list. +1 okay? :thumbup:

Early forecasts looking pretty brutal for BBQfest :unsure:

Fri
May 9
T-Storms 75°
65°
T-Storms
Potential for severe thunderstorms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
70%

Sat
May 10
Scattered T-Storms 78°
63°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
40%

Sun
May 11
Isolated T-Storms 82°
65°
Isolated T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
30%

Mon
May 12
Scattered T-Storms 83°
65°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
40%

Tue
May 13
Scattered T-Storms 83°
61°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
60%

Wed
May 14
T-Storms 79°
56°
T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:
70%

Load-in / setup this weekend is looking pretty crappy but we'll live...

The INCREASING chances of incliment weather as the week moves on isn't very promising.
Friends and Family night, Wednesday, is the first night of the festival and has 70% chance of thunderstorms.

We have scaffold with a 2nd and 3rd level overhead so we SHOULD be fine with spots of rain, but if it pours all week / all festival long it's going to suck pretty hard. Fingers crossed things improve.

UPDATE:
And just like that...southern weather starts to shift.

Sun May 11 - TEMPS 85° / 65°Partly Cloudy - CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%

Mon May 12 - TEMPS 86° / 64°AM Clouds / PM Sun - CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%

Tue May 13 - TEMPS 85° / 59°Scattered T-Storms - CHANCE OF RAIN: 40%

Wed May 14 - TEMPS 81° / 55°AM Clouds / PM Sun - CHANCE OF RAIN: 10%

Thu May 15 - TEMPS 78° / 55°Sunny - CHANCE OF RAIN: 0%

:excited: :popcorn:

Nolan AudioVisual called back and is full on donating the light and sound system. THey're apparently going overboard with it.... 4 speakers (flown overhead in the booth) with a huge sub running through a mixing board. Then 4 intelligent lights running through a controller board as well. The owner told me today "make sure that scaffold is built strong because this system is going to shake it.

Downside: The lighting rig and audio rig each require a dedicated 20Amp circuit... had budgeted for 1... add on an extra $150 for the extra 20A... then $40 for another 50ft 12AWG power cord :lol:

My buddy who's the executive chef for all BB Kings restaurants went to bat for us with Fayette Packing (lead meat distributor for the region) and they are donating 7 cases of baby backs for general consumption and 2 cases of special competition cut slabs that are bandsaw cut to perfect rectangle, membranes pulled, and perfectly trimmed of fat and such. In addition they'll be selling us our 3-4 cases of butts at cost. :thumbup:

Also, tentatively, Tipsy has set aside this menu for the festival:

Wed Dinner:

Brisket, Chicken, and Sausage.

Mac n Cheese, Beans, Slaw.

Chefs Bonus

Thurs Lunch:

Ribs & Pork Butt

Pork / Chicken Thigh sandwiches

Slaw, beans, and chips.

Thurs Dinner

Ribs, Pork Butts

Beans, Slaw, Jambalaya

Chefs Bonus

Fri Lunch

BBQ Tacos, Chicken Wings, Sandwiches

Chips, Slaw, BBQ Jambalaya

Fri Dinner

Ribs, Pork Butts

Beans, Slaw, BBQ Jambalaya

Chefs Bonus

Saturday: 50 Guests $100

Competition Ribs

Leftover everything
If I wanted to come next year how would I or what would I have to do to eat that menu everyday?I love to grill and BBQ but I'm new to competitions and stuff like this.
:coffee:

If I wanted to come next year how would I or what would I have to do to eat that menu everyday?

I love to grill and BBQ but I'm new to competitions and stuff like this.
:coffee:
Hey sorry!

You don't HAVE to do anything really... some guests are contributing some of the front end via Jr Sponsorships and such. Others throw in $ when at the booth... some just straight come by, have a couple beers and eat a plate of BBQ and roll without contributing anything. That's fine too. We in no way shape or form try to hold folks over the barrel... but I will say that financially, throwing in some $ definitely helps the team out.

This party will cost us over $20 AFTER sponsor donations of beer, ribs, scaffold, light/sound, etc. Assuming we paid for everything we'd be around $40,000 for the 4 day event. It's worth it... but its a LOT of money and a LOT of work.

UPDATE:

And just like that...southern weather starts to shift.

Sun May 11 - TEMPS 85° / 65°Partly Cloudy - CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%

Mon May 12 - TEMPS 86° / 64°AM Clouds / PM Sun - CHANCE OF RAIN: 20%

Tue May 13 - TEMPS 85° / 59°Scattered T-Storms - CHANCE OF RAIN: 40%

Wed May 14 - TEMPS 81° / 55°AM Clouds / PM Sun - CHANCE OF RAIN: 10%

Thu May 15 - TEMPS 78° / 55°Sunny - CHANCE OF RAIN: 0%

:excited: :popcorn:
I hope it doesn't rain. Assuming we should pack for the worst. Coming from So Cal and AZ my bro and I are not used to rain. Temps look pleasant though.

I hope it doesn't rain. Assuming we should pack for the worst. Coming from So Cal and AZ my bro and I are not used to rain. Temps look pleasant though.
I would plan on a rain shell and/or umbrella of some sort to get to the park IF it rains. I'm pretty sure you can bring them in for BBQfest. Once in our booth, youll be fine as we've got 2 floors that are covered. :thumbup: One of the benefits of rollin with one of the big dogs ;)

This IS rainy season in memphis though and invariably one part MIM gets dumped on. Musicfest just had an amazing weekend... thankfully we're getting some rain this weekend. HOping that will leave BBQfest clear.

FYI for those of you coming in town...
My annual BBQfest Friendlies Map

This map details the festival layout with "friendly" teams called out, and the names of the people on the team to ask for if you're stopping by.

Some are more "open" than others... some may be cool with ya swinging by for a beer, some may be good with folks hanging all night. I do ask that if you're stopping by, tip your bartender or donate to the team, and be cool. I'm allowed to offer this network because the people I share it with are respectful and take care of the tents they're dropping in on. That said, it's a BIG festival and it's really nice to never be more than 100yds from a semi-private toilet or fresh pint of beer. ;)

I'll provide more detail on the map as we get closer as to what level of hospitality you can expect at each, and will have printout versions for the FBGs coming in town. :thumbup:

What's that.... a 3000 square foot, 3 story monstrosity with a interior 2nd floor / mezzanine level that will serve as Team-Only/VIP lounge and DJ booth? Sure... why not

Work in progress.... Neil should have a much bigger kitchen/pit area than in previous years as well. Plus it's covered, and floored. ;)
this is insane btw
You have no idea. :lol: From what I understand, our FIRST FLOOR is going to be 4' off the ground... which puts the sight line on the top deck nearly 30' above ground level of the park. Can't stress again how great the view will be from our upper deck as the sun sets over the Mississippi River. :banned:

Just got word two of my favorite BBQfest people will be back in town again this year:

• Mark the Certified Master Judge who comes in from Alabama and gets drunk as hell on Lagunitas IPA at our booth. Had him judge us one year... tough guy. We didn't get his "10" (overall score which a judge can only give to 1 of his 3 teams he judges onsite), getting slightly edged out by the team that finished 2nd overall in the fest that year. Came back by and explained exactly why we just missed out. That's all you can ask.

• Gregg, the asianed fella from Portland who always brings me 3-4 amazing Portland Microbrews in exchange for hanging at our booth. He's been flying in to help out Team Willinghams for a few years now, but just came as an attendee before that.

It's kinda weird as after doing BBQfest for a decade, a sort of "Family" forms among a lot of the regular attendees... many characters from all around the world that you only get to see once a year. Always cool to run into everyone and catch up. One of many factors that make this by far my favorite "week" of the year in Memphis... my GF half-jokingly refers to this as "Matt's Christmas". :lol:

4 days till load-in

7 days till "freind's an family night" (first night of fest)

Oh... and an update on the weather.... :o :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

:-)notcountingchickens: :Fingerscrossed:)

No Whammies.... :popcorn:

I work outside of Little Rock and want to bring the two guys that work for me up for the weekend as a bonus of sorts. What are all the options to get into the booth and party with you guys?
You guys are welcome to come. Standing invite for FBGs. Definitely plan on at least tipping the bartenders (all goes to the team) and can throw in a few bucks if you'd like too.

Some folks are doing the Jr Sponsor packs which amounts to about $50-55 bucks of stuff (park access wristband and shirt/koozie pack) and a $75 donation to the team that gets you a Sponsor wristband for line skip privileges if booth hits capacity and a fast lane at the bar (menu subject to change). Not at all necessary though.

Some good info about BBQfest, how to find us, what to expect, etc can be found here:
last link dead now. Any help?

Pretty Decent Cornhole Brewing:

Ray Karpis
Sbonomo

Jersey Tough Guys

Tusken Raider

Tipsy McStagger
Pimpin Aint Easy
Brady Marino

Derek19

:kicksrock:

I'm going next year, don't care what the wife says. It's killing me following this thread.

(She didn't forbid me to go, but she works nights and we would have needed someone to take care of the kids while I was gone. Maybe next year grandma can watch them.)

I'm going next year, don't care what the wife says. It's killing me following this thread.

(She didn't forbid me to go, but she works nights and we would have needed someone to take care of the kids while I was gone. Maybe next year grandma can watch them.)
Do it GB... You'll find a list of exactly zero people who have been to this fest and not had a ####### blast.

3 days of absurdly excessive consumption of the best BBQ you'll ever eat, top shelf microbrews, booze, cigars, hitting golfballs into the mississippi river, shaking your ### to a DJ with co-eds, epic redneck people watching from an absurdly large scaffold structure 30ft from the waters of the biggest river in America.... everything about it beautiful excess. :lol:

Do it GB... You'll find a list of exactly zero people who have been to this fest and not had a ####### blast.

3 days of absurdly excessive consumption of the best BBQ you'll ever eat, top shelf microbrews, booze, cigars, hitting golfballs into the mississippi river, shaking your ### to a DJ with co-eds, epic redneck people watching from an absurdly large scaffold structure 30ft from the waters of the biggest river in America.... everything about it beautiful excess. :lol:
How's the tinder thing going?

:whistle:

How's the tinder thing going?

:whistle:

Just got contacted by our scaffold guy who is head of the company doing EVERYTHING for Memphis in may (big stages for last weeks fest, the main stuff and side team booths for this fest).... which is why he's ON our team ;)

"Do we need more power free?"
"YES!"

So now we have SEVEN dedicated lines of 20A service for our BBQfest booth...(we paid $750 for 5 lines) most homes built 50 years ago had about half that. :lol:

Yeah....we're idiots...

Don't feel bad GB... I'll be running like a chicken w my head cut off between running booth and entertaining folks/family in from all over. You do yo thang and have fun. I'll give ya an extra wristband or two in the event you want to go "fishing" to recruit more "talent" to join you in the booth.

Users who are viewing this thread