Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

:lmao: Still waiting for the Tiger-fans' movement to consider four different tournaments to be the majors (changing year-by-year depending on which ones he won).

But, but, but...he won "Jack's tournament"; isn't that a "major"? :angry:
I guess there are major-minors now. :confused:
Why are the Majors so important to you?
To me? The majors in golf and the grand slam events in tennis have forever-been the measuring stick of success in their sports.
Awesome. Tiger has already won 14 of them and he's only 34 years old.
  • Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You agreed to adopt 2 of my kids.  PM me your address.

Would you entertain 2 children, ethnicity and gender unknown?  

Tiger is now official #13 in the world.  From 1189 to 13 in one calendar year.  Also, he's only played 22 events.  OWGR requires 40 counting events, so he has 18 zeros and he's still 13th.  If his ran

Thanks for the common knowledge links. Still not sure what that has to do with my post or why you quoted my post when replying?p.s. the bolded part is something you bolded - not me.HTH

I was trying to flesh out your banal post. Sorry for doing that.

To me? The majors in golf and the grand slam events in tennis have forever-been the measuring stick of success in their sports. For years, Phil Michelson was winning every minor event that golf could come up with but couldn't win a major and that defined him until he finally won one. You can't change the measuring stick just because your guy isn't winning majors.

Way to not answer the question. Why is the PGA defining but the Bridgestone Invitational is not? If you have these "measuring sticks" in your head this should be a fairly simple question to answer.
I thought JuniorNB answered the question perfectly. I'm not a Tiger fan nor a Tiger hater, but whether you like it or not, Tiger's career, for the most part, will be defined by the number of majors he wins. That's just the way it is.
So in your and JrNB's world Shaun Micheel has had a better career and is a much better golfer than Kenny Perry? Fascinating.
;) What? I said Tiger Woods career; not Shaun Micheel's, not Kenny Perry's, not anybody else's for that matter. In my world, Tiger Woods is held to a higher standard than any other golfer, because Tiger Woods holds himself to a higher standard than any other golfer. Tiger has made it abundantly clear that his mission is to go down as the greatest golfer to ever tee it up. He knows that in order to do that, he must beat Jack's majors record. I don't understand why you don't get that.

Let me ask you this: Do you think, if Tiger could win 4, and only 4 tournaments in a season, and could somehow magically choose which tournaments he wins, do you think he would pick the Bridgestone over one of the majors? Or would he choose the 4 majors?

And just for the record, I do NOT think Tiger is "done." Far from it. In fact, I think he goes on to shatter Jack's majors record.

I would think he sets out to win every Tournament he plays in.

Thanks for the common knowledge links. Still not sure what that has to do with my post or why you quoted my post when replying?p.s. the bolded part is something you bolded - not me.HTH

No problem. And I apologize for making fun of your poor comprehension skills. ;)

No problem. And I apologize for making fun of your poor comprehension skills. :goodposting:
I'm just trying to bring some Golf into the conversation. Sorry for doing that as well.

You gonna bring Memphis Foundry into this one, Fin? He can probably pull some logs.

No shtick, I was just going to post this. Notice how Oat has steered clear? I've got a call into Memphis. We'll straighten this #### out.
Bring 'em in.
I should warn you: Memphis Foundry can be bought.
Good to know. Shooting him a PM now.

Of course he does, but you didn't answer my question.
I think Nicklaus' record is what he values most right now. Then, maybe Byron Nelson's streak of consecutive wins, and then maybe Sam Snead's record of PGA wins.

Huge Tiger fan here. I don't think the ACL has anything to do with anything. He was swinging as well as I've ever seen him the week before the British - hitting every fairway. He has alternated from putting great to not making anything. That is the real issue. One thing I will introduce is as Tiger was compiling his majors 18 was still a long way away. I do think now that he's closer, and getting a little older, he may be pressing more than usual to win majors. I do think sometimes he out thinks himself by being too conservative. We'll see. But now that it's happened once (him losing after a big lead on the weekend) his competitors will realize he is made of flesh, and not mechanical parts. He's still the best by far, as his ungodly win percentage and average of stroke per round better than anyone else proves, but winning majors will not be easy.

To me? The majors in golf and the grand slam events in tennis have forever-been the measuring stick of success in their sports. For years, Phil Michelson was winning every minor event that golf could come up with but couldn't win a major and that defined him until he finally won one. You can't change the measuring stick just because your guy isn't winning majors.

Way to not answer the question. Why is the PGA defining but the Bridgestone Invitational is not? If you have these "measuring sticks" in your head this should be a fairly simple question to answer.
I thought JuniorNB answered the question perfectly. I'm not a Tiger fan nor a Tiger hater, but whether you like it or not, Tiger's career, for the most part, will be defined by the number of majors he wins. That's just the way it is.
So in your and JrNB's world Shaun Micheel has had a better career and is a much better golfer than Kenny Perry? Fascinating.
:confused: What? I said Tiger Woods career; not Shaun Micheel's, not Kenny Perry's, not anybody else's for that matter. In my world, Tiger Woods is held to a higher standard than any other golfer, because Tiger Woods holds himself to a higher standard than any other golfer. Tiger has made it abundantly clear that his mission is to go down as the greatest golfer to ever tee it up. He knows that in order to do that, he must beat Jack's majors record. I don't understand why you don't get that.Let me ask you this: Do you think, if Tiger could win 4, and only 4 tournaments in a season, and could somehow magically choose which tournaments he wins, do you think he would pick the Bridgestone over one of the majors? Or would he choose the 4 majors?And just for the record, I do NOT think Tiger is "done." Far from it. In fact, I think he goes on to shatter Jack's majors record.
He would choose the 4 majors because of the record. Why does that make the PGA more of a qualifier than the Bridgestone when discussing how Tiger is playing?

Huge Tiger fan here. I don't think the ACL has anything to do with anything. He was swinging as well as I've ever seen him the week before the British - hitting every fairway. He has alternated from putting great to not making anything. That is the real issue. One thing I will introduce is as Tiger was compiling his majors 18 was still a long way away. I do think now that he's closer, and getting a little older, he may be pressing more than usual to win majors. I do think sometimes he out thinks himself by being too conservative. We'll see. But now that it's happened once (him losing after a big lead on the weekend) his competitors will realize he is made of flesh, and not mechanical parts. He's still the best by far, as his ungodly win percentage and average of stroke per round better than anyone else proves, but winning majors will not be easy.

The long layoff might have had an effect, and his knee doesn't seem to be bothering him as of now, but fatigue might have played a factor yesterday.

I think Nicklaus' record is what he values most right now. Then, maybe Byron Nelson's streak of consecutive wins, and then maybe Sam Snead's record of PGA wins.
I would agree with this. I think when it's all said & done, Tiger wants to be known as the greatest, and nobody else was even close.

I would agree with this. I think when it's all said & done, Tiger wants to be known as the greatest, and nobody else was even close.
That's why he's chipping away at 19 runner ups.

Let me ask you this: Do you think, if Tiger could win 4, and only 4 tournaments in a season, and could somehow magically choose which tournaments he wins, do you think he would pick the Bridgestone over one of the majors? Or would he choose the 4 majors?

The Masters, British, and US Opens are no brainers

there are some other tourneys on tour that get more respect than the PGA from some of the players, not all. The PGA is seen as a weaker field because of all of the club pros. The Players, The Memorial, and maybe Bridgestone come close in terms of prestige in some players eyes.

The Masters, British, and US Opens are no brainers

there are some other tourneys on tour that get more respect than the PGA from some of the players, not all. The PGA is seen as a weaker field because of all of the club pros. The Players, The Memorial, and maybe Bridgestone come close in terms of prestige in some players eyes.

As I recall, 98 of the top 100 in the world golf rankings were at Hazeltine this weekend.

Just to help you out here, because you are failing miserably, the last major Tiger had won was when he had a torn ACL, and a double stress fracture. Usually, that takes more than a year to recover from. Tiger has had a great run of Tournaments this past month, is #1 in the World, and still the benchmark of the Tour. All Tiger has to do if fix a few things, and he is just as dominant as he was before his knee surgery.

Despite losing the PGA Championship, he still played the best Golf out of all of the others.

Pretty sure Y E Yang played better.

He would choose the 4 majors because of the record. Why does that make the PGA more of a qualifier than the Bridgestone when discussing how Tiger is playing?

It doesn't. Who said that? If that's what you got from my post, then I didn't express my thoughts very clearly. All I was saying, and I think it's pretty indisputable, is that majors are more important to Tiger than any other tournaments. FWIW, I thought Tiger played brilliantly all week, including yesterday. I believe David Faherty counted about a dozen 12'-15' putts that Tiger had, and he didn't make one of them. Not one! That's incredible! The fact that he putt like that, and still walked to the 18th tee only one stroke behind, should tell even the biggest Tiger hater how great he is. If he just makes 2 or 3 of those putts (a bad day for him), he wins. If he makes his usual 6-8 of those, he wins going away.

Where do we rank Y.E. Yang going forward?

:lmao:

He's playing at the top of his game right now. Lets hope he hasn't plateaued.

$50 says he doesn't make the cut next week.
If he plays I'll take this.

STRAIGHT UP?/?

It doesn't. Who said that?
JrNB. You jumped in there with him for a second and I mistakenly lumped you in with him. For that, I sincerely apologize. No one should ever be subjected to that. Edited by PizzaDeliveryGuy

Just to help you out here, because you are failing miserably, the last major Tiger had won was when he had a torn ACL, and a double stress fracture. Usually, that takes more than a year to recover from. Tiger has had a great run of Tournaments this past month, is #1 in the World, and still the benchmark of the Tour. All Tiger has to do if fix a few things, and he is just as dominant as he was before his knee surgery.

Despite losing the PGA Championship, he still played the best Golf out of all of the others.

Tiger shot a 73 the first round?

STRAIGHT UP?/?

I like where this is headed.

It doesn't. Who said that? If that's what you got from my post, then I didn't express my thoughts very clearly. All I was saying, and I think it's pretty indisputable, is that majors are more important to Tiger than any other tournaments.

FWIW, I thought Tiger played brilliantly all week, including yesterday. I believe David Faherty counted about a dozen 12'-15' putts that Tiger had, and he didn't make one of them. Not one! That's incredible! The fact that he putt like that, and still walked to the 18th tee only one stroke behind, should tell even the biggest Tiger hater how great he is. If he just makes 2 or 3 of those putts (a bad day for him), he wins. If he makes his usual 6-8 of those, he wins going away.

Well, considering that Tiger lost by 3 strokes.......

STRAIGHT UP?/?

Let's take this.....to the profiles.

It doesn't. Who said that? If that's what you got from my post, then I didn't express my thoughts very clearly. All I was saying, and I think it's pretty indisputable, is that majors are more important to Tiger than any other tournaments.

FWIW, I thought Tiger played brilliantly all week, including yesterday. I believe David Faherty counted about a dozen 12'-15' putts that Tiger had, and he didn't make one of them. Not one! That's incredible! The fact that he putt like that, and still walked to the 18th tee only one stroke behind, should tell even the biggest Tiger hater how great he is. If he just makes 2 or 3 of those putts (a bad day for him), he wins. If he makes his usual 6-8 of those, he wins going away.

How did he do that?

STRAIGHT UP?/?

I like where this is headed.
I don't really want to take Hack's money here. Yang is just too hot right now. This is like free cash as far as I'm concerned.

Good point. They should've just ended the tourney after Thursday since the other rounds don't count.

It doesn't. Who said that?
JrNB. You jumped in there with him for a second and I mistakenly lumped you in with him. For that, I sincerely apologize. No one should ever be subjected to that.
:thumbup: No problem.

I realize that, but if Tiger makes 2 putts earlier in the round, he goes to the 18th with a 1 shot lead. You think 18 would have played out exacly the same way?

:thumbup:

Good point. They should've just ended the tourney after Thursday since the other rounds don't count.
Yeah, could you imagine if Tiger's 67 in the opening round was thrown out?

DONE!!

:heart: :heart: :spade:

The long layoff might have had an effect, and his knee doesn't seem to be bothering him as of now, but fatigue might have played a factor yesterday.
:thumbup: The guy is in better shape than anyone on the tour. If he was fatigued, so were the other guys.

:thumbup: The guy is in better shape than anyone on the tour. If he was fatigued, so were the other guys.
He usually takes a week off before a Major, though not always. This was his third Tourney in a row.

Lot of apologists in here.

He didn't make his putts this week. That's really all you can say. :shrug:
I understand this. All's I'm sayin is he's never lost a major when ahead like he did Sunday. He did not look particularly focused or dangerous. He lost by 3 strokes for Christ's sake.

Except for 2009. That will go down in history as a great non-major-winning year. Tiger fans have their own set of rules.

Lot of apologists in here.

He didn't make his putts this week. That's really all you can say. :shrug:
I understand this. All's I'm sayin is he's never lost a major when ahead like he did Sunday. He did not look particularly focused or dangerous. He lost by 3 strokes for Christ's sake.
You think he was going through his entire career without this ever happening?

Thoughts on Woods not sticking around for post-mortem interview?A. Bush League2. Can't blame him for not wanting to talkD. He didn't want to miss the Mad Men season premier

He took questions from the media after the round. :shrug:

These tournaments, although nice, competitive tournies, were never mentioned in the same breath as the majors. You had the 1)majors and 2) everything else (although some 'minors' were considered more prestigous than others).

Of course, now that Tiger had a good season in the little tournies and a terrible season in the majors, all the rules are changing.

Thoughts on Woods not sticking around for post-mortem interview?A. Bush League2. Can't blame him for not wanting to talkD. He didn't want to miss the Mad Men season premier

He took questions from the media after the round. :shrug:
crap, never saw it. thought he just bailed.