Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let me ask you this: Do you think, if Tiger could win 4, and only 4 tournaments in a season, and could somehow magically choose which tournaments he wins, do you think he would pick the Bridgestone over one of the majors? Or would he choose the 4 majors?

there are some other tourneys on tour that get more respect than the PGA from some of the players, not all. The PGA is seen as a weaker field because of all of the club pros. The Players, The Memorial, and maybe Bridgestone come close in terms of prestige in some players eyes.
These tournaments, although nice, competitive tournies, were never mentioned in the same breath as the majors. You had the 1)majors and 2) everything else (although some 'minors' were considered more prestigous than others).

Of course, now that Tiger had a good season in the little tournies and a terrible season in the majors, all the rules are changing.

Maybe in this thread, but not anywhere else.

It will be interesting, however, to see what kind of a barometer the FedEx Cup will become over time.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You agreed to adopt 2 of my kids.  PM me your address.

Would you entertain 2 children, ethnicity and gender unknown?  

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.

Thoughts on Woods not sticking around for post-mortem interview?

A. Bush League

2. Can't blame him for not wanting to talk

D. He didn't want to miss the Mad Men season premier

He took questions from the media after the round.

:shrug:

crap, never saw it. thought he just bailed.
He sat there and took it like a man.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/...6800/?ref=26000

Thoughts on Woods not sticking around for post-mortem interview?A. Bush League2. Can't blame him for not wanting to talkD. He didn't want to miss the Mad Men season premier

Damn, did he really do this? First Forrest Griffin runs away after losing to Silva last week. No Tiger does the same thing. This is pretty shocking.

To me? The majors in golf and the grand slam events in tennis have forever-been the measuring stick of success in their sports. For years, Phil Michelson was winning every minor event that golf could come up with but couldn't win a major and that defined him until he finally won one. You can't change the measuring stick just because your guy isn't winning majors.

Way to not answer the question. Why is the PGA defining but the Bridgestone Invitational is not? If you have these "measuring sticks" in your head this should be a fairly simple question to answer.
I thought JuniorNB answered the question perfectly. I'm not a Tiger fan nor a Tiger hater, but whether you like it or not, Tiger's career, for the most part, will be defined by the number of majors he wins. That's just the way it is.
Except for 2009. That will go down in history as a great non-major-winning year. Tiger fans have their own set of rules.
Tiger is only 12 wins behind Snead on the PGA Tour. What's odd is that he could catch Seve for most European wins as well.

Thoughts on Woods not sticking around for post-mortem interview?A. Bush League2. Can't blame him for not wanting to talkD. He didn't want to miss the Mad Men season premier

Damn, did he really do this? First Forrest Griffin runs away after losing to Silva last week. No Tiger does the same thing. This is pretty shocking.
No, I was wrong. See post above.

To me? The majors in golf and the grand slam events in tennis have forever-been the measuring stick of success in their sports. For years, Phil Michelson was winning every minor event that golf could come up with but couldn't win a major and that defined him until he finally won one. You can't change the measuring stick just because your guy isn't winning majors.

Way to not answer the question. Why is the PGA defining but the Bridgestone Invitational is not? If you have these "measuring sticks" in your head this should be a fairly simple question to answer.
I thought JuniorNB answered the question perfectly. I'm not a Tiger fan nor a Tiger hater, but whether you like it or not, Tiger's career, for the most part, will be defined by the number of majors he wins. That's just the way it is.
Except for 2009. That will go down in history as a great non-major-winning year. Tiger fans have their own set of rules.
Tiger is only 12 wins behind Snead on the PGA Tour. What's odd is that he could catch Seve for most European wins as well.
No one is saying he hasn't had a great career.

No one is saying he hasn't had a great career.

What I'm saying is that Golf wins isn't just measured by Majors compared an event like Bridgestone. If so, then Byron Nelson's streak would not count because of the Miami 4-Ball Tourney.

I was listening to talk radio today, and some big wig super important golf writer guy was on, and his exact words were:

This isn't the same Tiger from even two years ago, and definitely not the same Tiger from the early 2000s. Every since the knee surgery, he just doesn't have the same confidence to put his opponents away when he has the chance. This inability to close out Yang yesterday? It may seem like an aberration, but it's going to happen more and more often. He'll still win tournaments, and he's still going to go down as the best golfer in history, but if you're looking for that dominating golfer from five years ago - he's gone.

No shtick.

If you won't listen to Fin, at least listen to the people who get paid to follow golf.

They know more than you.

I was listening to talk radio today, and some big wig super important golf writer guy was on, and his exact words were:

This isn't the same Tiger from even two years ago, and definitely not the same Tiger from the early 2000s. Every since the knee surgery, he just doesn't have the same confidence to put his opponents away when he has the chance. This inability to close out Yang yesterday? It may seem like an aberration, but it's going to happen more and more often. He'll still win tournaments, and he's still going to go down as the best golfer in history, but if you're looking for that dominating golfer from five years ago - he's gone.

No shtick.

If you won't listen to Fin, at least listen to the people who get paid to follow golf.

They know more than you.

I've heard others say Tiger could be poised for a big year next year. Even Paddy said the loss could make Tiger play better in the future.

So there.

Despite losing the PGA Championship, he still played the best Golf out of all of the others. He just fell short.

:goodposting::blackdot::lmao:
Who lead for the first 3 rounds?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Best golfer wins, no?

Tiger was the best in the first round, but failed to close out. It doesn't make him bad, and it doesn't make him done.

But that's what happened.

I would think he sets out to win every Tournament he plays in.

Of course he does, but you didn't answer my question.
I think Nicklaus' record is what he values most right now. Then, maybe Byron Nelson's streak of consecutive wins, and then maybe Sam Snead's record of PGA wins.
I think you've got the last 2 reversed. Health permitting, Tiger will shatter Nicklaus' major record of 18 majors before he turns 40. (Tiger has 14) He'll top Snead's record of 82 PGA tour victories even sooner than that. (Tiger already has 70). But Byron Nelson's streak of 11 straight wins will probably never be broken. Ever.

No shtick.

They know more than you.

The dominating golfer from five years ago is gone? Fin said Tiger is done. This guy sounds a little non-committal.

Despite losing the PGA Championship, he still played the best Golf out of all of the others. He just fell short.

:cry::lmao: :lmao:

Best golfer wins, no?

Tiger was the best in the first round, but failed to close out. It doesn't make him bad, and it doesn't make him done.

Tiger played his worst round of the Tournament, yet was only one shot behind Yang going into 18. The real difference between them was the putting. Yang's speed on the greens was darn near perfect. The putt for Eagle, the lucky bounce around the bunkers to land on the green on another hole, and the near miss into the hazard that didn't happen were huge for Yang. But he putted well, even when he putted short to leave par.

Tiger's short game seemed to leave him, and he was scrambling. But it still came down to one hole, even with Tiger being one shot behind.

As stated on page 1. It's not like I'm the only guy saying these things. I used strong language...yes. But the truth is the run is done. He's not the same golfer. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone catch him on the tour next year.

I would think he sets out to win every Tournament he plays in.

Of course he does, but you didn't answer my question.
I think Nicklaus' record is what he values most right now. Then, maybe Byron Nelson's streak of consecutive wins, and then maybe Sam Snead's record of PGA wins.
I think you've got the last 2 reversed. Health permitting, Tiger will shatter Nicklaus' major record of 18 majors before he turns 40. (Tiger has 14) He'll top Snead's record of 82 PGA tour victories even sooner than that. (Tiger already has 70). But Byron Nelson's streak of 11 straight wins will probably never be broken. Ever.
Yeah, he will probably break Snead first, but the real target is Jack. I agree Nelson's will probably never be broken.

:cry::lmao: :lmao:

Best golfer wins, no?

Tiger played his worst round of the Tournament, yet was only one shot behind Yang going into 18. The real difference between them was the putting. Yang's speed on the greens was darn near perfect. The putt for Eagle, the lucky bounce around the bunkers to land on the green on another hole, and the near miss into the hazard that didn't happen were huge for Yang. But he putted well, even when he putted short to leave par.

Tiger's short game seemed to leave him, and he was scrambling. But it still came down to one hole, even with Tiger being one shot behind.

Just go ahead and say Yang's eagle chip was lucky. You know you want to.

No shtick.

They know more than you.

The dominating golfer from five years ago is gone? Fin said Tiger is done. This guy sounds a little non-committal.
I didn't mean that he was done done. Just done dominating. My original posts should make that clear. We recently watched him miss a cut and then lose to a no-name during crunch time in a major. Maybe he's working the kinks out in his swing again :cry:

done done. Just done dominating. My original posts should make that clear. We recently watched him miss a cut and then lose to a no-name during crunch time in a major. Maybe he's working the kinks out in his swing again :sleep:

Meanwhile..

Cuba has 3 movies in the works, one with Kietel, another with Kilmer, and another with Terrance Howard. One of those movies Lucas wrote the screenplay for though. :bag:

Cuba Gooding Jr., going foward...

:banned: :banned: :banned:

done done. Just done dominating. My original posts should make that clear. We recently watched him miss a cut and then lose to a no-name during crunch time in a major. Maybe he's working the kinks out in his swing again :bag:

Meanwhile..

Cuba has 3 movies in the works, one with Kietel, another with Kilmer, and another with Terrance Howard. One of those movies Lucas wrote the screenplay for though. :banned:

I though that Cuba quote was :sleep:, no?

done done. Just done dominating. My original posts should make that clear. We recently watched him miss a cut and then lose to a no-name during crunch time in a major. Maybe he's working the kinks out in his swing again :bag:

Meanwhile..

Cuba has 3 movies in the works, one with Kietel, another with Kilmer, and another with Terrance Howard. One of those movies Lucas wrote the screenplay for though. :banned:

I though that Cuba quote was :sleep:, no?
He never got enough credit for Radio.

done done. Just done dominating. My original posts should make that clear. We recently watched him miss a cut and then lose to a no-name during crunch time in a major. Maybe he's working the kinks out in his swing again :lmao:

Meanwhile..

Cuba has 3 movies in the works, one with Kietel, another with Kilmer, and another with Terrance Howard. One of those movies Lucas wrote the screenplay for though. :mellow:

I though that Cuba quote was :lmao:, no?
He never got enough credit for Radio.
I never saw that movie, but wasn't it just Rudy with a black guy?

Just go ahead and say Yang's eagle chip was lucky. You know you want to.

I wouldn't say that. What I thought yesterday as the round was coming to a close was that Yang left himself in position to win it, and he didn't get killed being aggressive on a couple of holes coming down the stretch. I thought he putted great. Tiger didn't.

I know this is probably shtick, but here it goes... Anyone thinking Tiger is done needs to look at his history. The year and a half before his Tiger Slam, he was playing exactly like he was this year. He had days where no one could even touch him(like the Bridgestone's final round and the first two rounds of the PGA), but followed them up with days where nothing went right for him. He flashed the greatness that would become commonplace from 2000-2007, but was terribly inconsistent. Now, coming off a stretch where he couldn't play golf for 8 months he's inconsistent again. He still has the same great golf swing though and the consistency will come. I expect him to win 3 majors next year as I think he'll be in pissed off Tiger mode with everyone asking whether he's done at 33 and will train harder than ever this offseason.

No shtick.

They know more than you.

I didn't mean that he was done done. Just done dominating. My original posts should make that clear. We recently watched him miss a cut and then lose to a no-name during crunch time in a major. Maybe he's working the kinks out in his swing again :jawdrop:
We also recently watched him finish in the top10 in 11 of 13 tourneys while winning 5 of them and have one of his best years in terms of average finish. All of this after an 8 month layoff. That seems fairly dominant in sport such as golf.

Five years ago, in 2004, Tiger Woods won zero majors. It was the second year in a row he didn't won a major.

he choked, pure and simple.

i don't know why the "media" has such a hard time with this, using the "choke" word, but its straight up chokeworthy. he shot 75 on Sunday and got beat by 5 strokes by the 110th ranked player in the world to lose a major.

So even if the media won't say it, you know Tiger is saying it to himself. "i choked" and he'll be thinking that until the next major comes along and he wins by 10 strokes.

he choked, pure and simple.i don't know why the "media" has such a hard time with this, using the "choke" word, but its straight up chokeworthy. he shot 75 on Sunday and got beat by 5 strokes by the 110th ranked player in the world to lose a major. So even if the media won't say it, you know Tiger is saying it to himself. "i choked" and he'll be thinking that until the next major comes along and he wins by 10 strokes.

There were a few shots that stuck out to me as odd. On 12 when he was over the green, he flat out hit that pitch in the equator and half sculled it from a pretty good lie. The second shot on 15 that he hit about as fat as you can. The pitch on 17 , where he used a closed face going into the grain from a rotten lie was strange as well. Overall I think the wind just had him a bit off center for the day and was a big reason for the poor play.

he choked, pure and simple.i don't know why the "media" has such a hard time with this, using the "choke" word, but its straight up chokeworthy. he shot 75 on Sunday and got beat by 5 strokes by the 110th ranked player in the world to lose a major. So even if the media won't say it, you know Tiger is saying it to himself. "i choked" and he'll be thinking that until the next major comes along and he wins by 10 strokes.

There were a few shots that stuck out to me as odd. On 12 when he was over the green, he flat out hit that pitch in the equator and half sculled it from a pretty good lie. The second shot on 15 that he hit about as fat as you can. The pitch on 17 , where he used a closed face going into the grain from a rotten lie was strange as well. Overall I think the wind just had him a bit off center for the day and was a big reason for the poor play.
Could Tiger have thrown the game on purpose?

More than likely.

i don't know why the "media" has such a hard time with this, using the "choke" word, but its straight up chokeworthy. he shot 75 on Sunday and got beat by 5 strokes by the 110th ranked player in the world to lose a major.

So even if the media won't say it, you know Tiger is saying it to himself. "i choked" and he'll be thinking that until the next major comes along and he wins by 10 strokes.

More than likely.
FINLESS!!! :lmao:

:crazy:

I knew it had to be something.

No shtick.

They know more than you.

I've heard others say Tiger could be poised for a big year next year. Even Paddy said the loss could make Tiger play better in the future.

So there.

oh snap

As stated on page 1. It's not like I'm the only guy saying these things. I used strong language...yes. But the truth is the run is done. He's not the same golfer. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone catch him on the tour next year.

thanks BGP.

The way Tiger has played on final days in majors makes it hard to believe he could lose. Woods is the best player in the world..but was a little off on Sunday. Of all the times I watched Woods on a final rd it was hard to believe he kept missing putt after putt, and some of his approuch shots were well off by his standards.

Chalk it up to a bad day and an opponent who make "Woods type" of shots down the stretch. The chip in for eagle, The shot where he hit the green after going under a tree with water on the left was amazing and had about a 25% chance for success, that shot fails and Tiger makes a put of two and it is a different story.

Edited by Da Guru

:lmao:

Do you even watch golf? He looked uncomfortable before a lot of shots. He was constantly throwing grass. A few shots you could tell he thought were good were well off the mark. He couldn't hit a wedge inside of 15 feet. Top that with probably his worst putting day as a pro and there you have it. The son of a ##### cost me $100. :D The funny thing is the guy just went 1st, 1st, 2nd in three consecutive weeks and people are dumb enough to think that he needs to make adjustments and will never dominate again.

Do you even watch golf? He looked uncomfortable before a lot of shots. He was constantly throwing grass. A few shots you could tell he thought were good were well off the mark. He couldn't hit a wedge inside of 15 feet. Top that with probably his worst putting day as a pro and there you have it. The son of a ##### cost me $100. :rant: The funny thing is the guy just went 1st, 1st, 2nd in three consecutive weeks and people are dumb enough to think that he needs to make adjustments and will never dominate again.
So you're saying that the 'best golfer in the world' became unravelled because there was a bit of wind? LOL I'm shocked that Yang was able to keep himself together and pull it out.

Maybe Woods can join an indoor golf league or something.

Do you even watch golf? He looked uncomfortable before a lot of shots. He was constantly throwing grass. A few shots you could tell he thought were good were well off the mark. He couldn't hit a wedge inside of 15 feet. Top that with probably his worst putting day as a pro and there you have it. The son of a ##### cost me $100. :rant: The funny thing is the guy just went 1st, 1st, 2nd in three consecutive weeks and people are dumb enough to think that he needs to make adjustments and will never dominate again.
So you're saying that the 'best golfer in the world' became unravelled because there was a bit of wind? LOL I'm shocked that Yang was able to keep himself together and pull it out.

Maybe Woods can join an indoor golf league or something.

Once again, your ignorance is astounding.

You're the one trying to come up with pitiful excuse after pitiful excuse. Just because I laugh at them doesn't make me ignorant. Sorry.Here'd be a good example of a Tiger fan not embarrassing himself......"Woods played uncharacteristically tight on Sunday. Maybe he's used to his opponents feeling the pressure and folding, but Yang didn't. Congrats to him. Woods had a good year, overall, but it was extremely disappointing that he couldn't win a single major. 2010 is another year." That is so much better than, "I think it was the wind that bothered him". God. That's just pathetic.

You're the one trying to come up with pitiful excuse after pitiful excuse. Just because I laugh at them doesn't make me ignorant. Sorry.Here'd be a good example of a Tiger fan not embarrassing himself......"Woods played uncharacteristically tight on Sunday. Maybe he's used to his opponents feeling the pressure and folding, but Yang didn't. Congrats to him. Woods had a good year, overall, but it was extremely disappointing that he couldn't win a single major. 2010 is another year." That is so much better than, "I think it was the wind that bothered him". God. That's just pathetic.
You do realize that the last Major Tiger won, he did it playing 91 holes with a double stress fracture and a torn ACL, don't you? The problem here is that most have given you plenty of context in which to frame an opinion, but you are ignorant to the context provided. Edited by drummer

See, I'm discussing his round. You have a one track agenda of beating the terrible no major year into the ground. You are the one diminishing a year in which he won the Memorial, the Arnold Palmer Invitational, The AT&T, The Buick, and The WGC-Bridgestone. If you don't want to talk about his round, don't respond. That would probably be best since you obviously have no idea about playing golf.