What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (2 Viewers)

encaitar said:
It depends.  If he continues to drive the ball like he did this weekend, he'll start dominating again.  Even when he was dominating he never hit 75% of the fairways.  He was doing that while hitting 350+ yard drives this weekend.  I have doubts that he can do it consistently, but if he can.. watch out.
How many times did he hit driver? I have to imagine that course has the players using driver less than almost any other course they will play this year.

none of the young better guys on the tour are scared of him and when he was making a charge on sunday he did not intimidate anyone and the blew it to pieces i think he is more in his head right now than he is in anyone elses take that to the bank bromigos 

In fairness I don’t think anyone will ever again. Game has changed. 
That's what they said for 15 years until Tiger too.  No one could ever do what Jack did because there were so many more better golfers from all over the world.  

Someone will eventually come along again.

That's what they said for 15 years until Tiger too.  No one could ever do what Jack did because there were so many more better golfers from all over the world.  

Someone will eventually come along again.
Maybe. I’m not so sure. With the length of courses and these young kids coming out soooooo much more fit and talented Tiger fundamentally changed a generation of young golfers. 

His inability to finish well is troubling. Be it a tournament or just a round. So close, but it keeps appearing that just as he's in position to take over there is a snap hook, a missed putt and inevitably bogeys coming in.
Mental fatigue...which I think he can cure. The swing looked fantastic thru 18.

His inability to finish well is troubling. Be it a tournament or just a round. So close, but it keeps appearing that just as he's in position to take over there is a snap hook, a missed putt and inevitably bogeys coming in.
He’s playing great and striking it well. He’s 5 off the lead. In a position to win. Tomorrow will once again be fun. 

According to this he qualifies for all majors plus TPC, but not WGC Bridgestone. 

https://www.pgatour.com/fantasy/major-qualifiers.html

Aside from marketing reasons, he qualifies for the other majors ironically because he won TPC in last 5 years (2013) on course he hates.

As World golf ranking, he is currently 102. And the ranking is an avg divided by # of events. In Tiger's case it's last 40 events. 

Could his OWGR go up? Sure. Not sure he's a slam dunk to be top 50. 

That said, he has shown glimpses that I'm sure that the powers that be in non-Masters majors will provide exemptions for him through 2019 at least (if he doesn't win or Top 5 finish or otherwise check boxes)

ETA PGA tour priority 

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/2017-2018-pga-tour-priority-ranking.html
Through the Memorial,  Tiger is ranked 80th. AFAIK, the only tournaments he has committed to help him qualify for Bridgestone are US Open (Shinnecock), the National (TPC Potomac), and The Open (Carnoustie).

Last time at Shinnecock was T17 in 2004, 14 strokes back. Phil and he played a practice round there last week. Mickelson said the fairways are much wider than before but the rough is still brutal.

Only 2nd year at TPC Potomac so no track record. 

Last time at Carnoustie was 2007. T12, 5 strokes back.

Tiger has said he really wants to play Bridgestone because it's the final year in Akron. (Aside from the fact that he's playing  a Bridgestone ball now.). He'll need at least a top 5 in one of those tournaments and probably a top 10 also

Through the Memorial,  Tiger is ranked 80th. AFAIK, the only tournaments he has committed to help him qualify for Bridgestone are US Open (Shinnecock), the National (TPC Potomac), and The Open (Carnoustie).

Last time at Shinnecock was T17 in 2004, 14 strokes back. Phil and he played a practice round there last week. Mickelson said the fairways are much wider than before but the rough is still brutal.

Only 2nd year at TPC Potomac so no track record. 

Last time at Carnoustie was 2007. T12, 5 strokes back.

Tiger has said he really wants to play Bridgestone because it's the final year in Akron. (Aside from the fact that he's playing  a Bridgestone ball now.). He'll need at least a top 5 in one of those tournaments and probably a top 10 also
Didn't realize it's the last year in Akron ...damn.  

He’s pretty close. Not saying he will put it together but if his tee-to-green game stays strong and he hit some putts look out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I root for him but seems to be a pattern of sorts in the majors where he just gets off to a horrible start.  Almost impossible to overcome.

I root for him but seems to be a pattern of sorts in the majors where he just gets off to a horrible start.  Almost impossible to overcome.
One of my most memorable sports experiences was the first time i saw him at Augusta...on the 8 tee, after bogeying 7, on Thursday. He was the 15th group or so we saw come thru up close. He was BY FAR the most intense that early in the tournament. Some players still seemed to be settling in...he was leaned over his driver quietly yelling at himself.

Historically he hasn't started well, even in his prime...as if he gets too amped.

He's still one of the elite ball strikers in the world. It's not holding up for 72 holes, but he can get that back.

But his putting is beyond repair. He should try a long putter.

He’s tied with Spieth and ahead of Rory. Let’s not lose sight of the fact that lots of outstanding golfers struggled today.  Not just him. 

He’s tied with Spieth and ahead of Rory. Let’s not lose sight of the fact that lots of outstanding golfers struggled today.  Not just him. 
:lol:

I can see it now, Tiger tees it up as an Honorary Starter at the Masters in 2030:

Otis:  "I think this is the year he finally gets another Green Jacket.  I am sure he still has another major in him!  He has been real close [to the fairway] the last few starts..."

Tiger is 42 now

Top 10 Majors - age of last major win:

Nicklaus - 46 (1986)
Woods - 32 (2008)
Hagan - 36 (1929)
Hogan - 40 (1953)
Player - 42 (1978)
Watson - 33 (1983)
Sarazen - 33 (1935)
Palmer - 34 (1964)
Snead - 41 (1954)
Jones - 41 (1954)
Vardon - 44 (1914)

So, 2 of the all-time greats won a major at an age older than Tiger, and neither, to my knowledge, had any back surgeries, and Jack's win was 32 years ago now - when the competition was a bit thinner.  Tiger is not going to win another major.  Sorry.

Tiger is 42 now

Top 10 Majors - age of last major win:

Nicklaus - 46 (1986)
Woods - 32 (2008)
Hagan - 36 (1929)
Hogan - 40 (1953)
Player - 42 (1978)
Watson - 33 (1983)
Sarazen - 33 (1935)
Palmer - 34 (1964)
Snead - 41 (1954)
Jones - 41 (1954)
Vardon - 44 (1914)

So, 2 of the all-time greats won a major at an age older than Tiger, and neither, to my knowledge, had any back surgeries, and Jack's win was 32 years ago now - when the competition was a bit thinner.  Tiger is not going to win another major.  Sorry.
Conditioning and sports medicine is much more advanced now and Tiger was a unique talent so I’d give him better odds to do it than anyone up to this point. One is possible but highly unlikely. Catching Jack is probably about the same odds as Browns Super Bowl next year

Serious. There has to be a place that has these odds somewhere. 10% chance seems about right to me. Maybe less.
40 majors have been played since Tiger last won a major. 

But, you think he has a 1 in 10 chance of winning one now?

I'd say there is a better chance that Tiger does not play 10 more majors, than he actual wins one. He is s not getting younger, nor healthier.  He is more likely to break down physically than he is to find the consistency he needs to win a tournament over 72 holes, let alone a major.  His last top-10 finish in a major was 5 years ago.

Tiger had the greatest 11-year run in the history of golf.  But that was over 10 years ago...it's time to stop holding onto hope for one last fling. 

40 majors have been played since Tiger last won a major. 

But, you think he has a 1 in 10 chance of winning one now?

I'd say there is a better chance that Tiger does not play 10 more majors, than he actual wins one. He is s not getting younger, nor healthier.  He is more likely to break down physically than he is to find the consistency he needs to win a tournament over 72 holes, let alone a major.  His last top-10 finish in a major was 5 years ago.

Tiger had the greatest 11-year run in the history of golf.  But that was over 10 years ago...it's time to stop holding onto hope for one last fling. 
I tend to agree with all you said. He was so great that he gets a bump for catching lighting in a bottle for 4 days. He was competing at a high level earlier this year against top players. 

The bet you mentioned that he plays 10 more majors is a pretty good one for an even odds bet. I’d say he does that for sure but it’s pretty fair.

It shows how bad Tiger has gotten when even his fans abandon this thread.   He just played in the US Open and his appearance couldn't even muster one full page of thoughts.   

I think everyone is being a bit premature on everything right now.  It’s been 5 years since Tiger was healthy for more than 6 months.  He had back fusion, changed his swing and is figuring it all out right now.  

Last two times Tiger changed his swing it took him over a year to look right again.  Hard to say if it’ll happen again, but if he still looks off next Spring after being healthy all year, then we can start picking out the gravestones.

Besides, this was a ridiculously hard course that you needed to be 100% for to even make the cut.  Look at the guys who missed.  It’s littered with top 20 names.  Taking too much out of this result is a mistake IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread