What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (1 Viewer)

Just stop - he’s in the hunt and you know it.  He’s 3 back - maybe ends up 5-6 back.  If he shot another 66 tomorrow he’s top-5 or 10.  That’s “in the hunt”.
I do not think he is in the hunt right now.

But, it was a genuine question about what constitutes "being in the hunt" - how many strokes back and/or how many golfers to pass.

Certainly, golfers can come from way back on a Sunday to win - but that is more the exception than the rule, I think.  I would love to know what the average Saturday position is for the winners on tour.

I would not consider 5 strokes and 10+ golfers to pass to be in the hunt - that combination seems tough to break through.

Tiger will be in the hunt when he stops being a pooosayboy and starts bombing drivers all up in this sheeeeit. 

But, it was a genuine question about what constitutes "being in the hunt" - how many strokes back and/or how many golfers to pass.

Certainly, golfers can come from way back on a Sunday to win - but that is more the exception than the rule, I think.  I would love to know what the average Saturday position is for the winners on tour.

I would not consider 5 strokes and 10+ golfers to pass to be in the hunt - that combination seems tough to break through.
Anything within 6 after Saturday round is in the hunt, for any tournament ever

Last edited by a moderator:

Last 2 winners at Carnoustie were 10 shots and 6 shots back entering Sunday.

He's 4 back tied for 6th.

I'll let you decide.

Anything within 6 after Saturday round is in the hunt, for any tournament ever
yeah - not buying that.

Through 25 PGA events this year - the winner of the tournament was an average of 1 stroke back after 3 rounds.

15 led, or shared the lead after 3

2 were 1-shot back

4 were 2-shots back

2 were 3 shots back

1 was 4 shots back

1 was 5 shots back

That averages out to exactly 1 stroke back for the winner.

So, being 6 strokes back - is definitely not "in the hunt"

And at the two majors, the winner was also leading after 3.

Tiger is 4 shots out of the lead - he is not in the hunt right now.  If he can claw back to 2 shots - then he is in the hunt.

yeah - not buying that.

Through 25 PGA events this year - the winner of the tournament was an average of 1 stroke back after 3 rounds.

2 were 1-shot back

4 were 2-shots back

2 were 3 shots back

1 was 4 shots back

1 was 5 shots back

Tiger is 4 shots out of the lead - he is not in the hunt right now.  If he can claw back to 2 shots - then he is in the hunt.
A better question might be what is the biggest deficit Tiger has made up to win on Sunday.

Lot of guys contending for the Ryder Cup near the top...big day for Tiger for the WGC berth and some Ryder momentum.

yeah - not buying that.

2 were 1-shot back

4 were 2-shots back

2 were 3 shots back

1 was 4 shots back

1 was 5 shots back

You’re right...you have to go all the way back to June 24, 2018 to the last time someone 6 shots back on the final day came back to win a PGA Tour event.

He probably needs to shoot 8-10 under tomorrow to win.  Too many people ahead of him, and you know darn well ONE of them will have a good round.  

But, i was told 6 back is in the hunt - EVERY TOURNAMENT

what you are saying is that is happens once every 2 years...

Do you hunt with Don Trump, Jr, by any chance?
Sorry, I thought we were talking about Tiger.    At the Hero World Challenge in December, Fowler came from 7 back.  At the HSBC World Golf Championship in October, Justin Rose came back from 8 down.  James Hahn came back from 7 down at the Sony Open in January to force a playoff.

Guess it was happening monthly back then.

Having said that the forecast is 70 degrees, 20% rain, 17 mph winds.  In other words better than ideal weather for the Open.

yeah - not buying that.

2 were 1-shot back

4 were 2-shots back

2 were 3 shots back

1 was 4 shots back

1 was 5 shots back

You have no idea what you're talking about, at all

The Bet shtick aside, Tiger can take a big step tomorrow without winning. No more excuses though...he’s needs to show he can finish.
I agree. If he can shoot 66-68 tomorrow it would be a huge confidence builder, even if he doesn't win. Not sure when the last time he shot 2 rounds in the 60's on the weekend when he was in relative contention. 

Users who are viewing this thread