What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (1 Viewer)

Let’s not call it yet. Rory on fire. 
Rory can’t putt.  Did you see how many he missed yesterday?   He’ll miss this 12ft one coming up. 

Dude is easily the best player until he grabs the flat stick.  Unfortunately for him, it is arguably the most important club in the bag if you want to win. 

The difference now being that Rose and McIlroy are both capable of shooting a 64/65 and forcing Tiger to do more than just hold steady, unlike his opponents in the past.  Although this is probably gonna be McIlroy's first real experience with the Tiger effect crowd.  Interested to see how he handles it.

5 stroke lead would have been nice. 3 is still pretty damn good. But he’s gonna have to play a great round tomorrow to make this happen. 

All the popcorn 
Tiger has closed out 42 of the 44 leads he has held after 3 rounds in his career. Of course, been a long, long time since he has been in this position.

Will be interesting to see how McIlroy plays with him, I can see anything from 62 to 82 out of him.

Tiger has closed out 42 of the 44 leads he has held after 3 rounds in his career. Of course, been a long, long time since he has been in this position.

Will be interesting to see how McIlroy plays with him, I can see anything from 62 to 82 out of him.
He's closed out 100% of leads he's held after 3 rounds when it's 3 strokes or more.  100%.

:popcorn:  

The difference now being that Rose and McIlroy are both capable of shooting a 64/65 and forcing Tiger to do more than just hold steady, unlike his opponents in the past.  Although this is probably gonna be McIlroy's first real experience with the Tiger effect crowd.  Interested to see how he handles it.
Today’s crowd, is going to be, Be f’ing beyond, Re,tar, dead. Whoever deals with it the best, will win. Including tiger.

If tiger pars 16, he might just win this thing. 

I'm rooting for 2 things, a tiger win. And a rose collapse, just enough to push tiger into the #1 spot, for the fed ex cup. Sheer entertainment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What a stage....everyone should watch  :popcorn:  
Including the other players. When I hear quotes from other players like in this article, can’t help but concluded he’s back, regardless of the result today. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pgatour.com/the-upshot/2018/09/22/tiger-woods-leads-tour-championship-round-three-east-lake.amp.html

ATLANTA – The fans were understandably beside themselves, but they were not the best measure of Tiger Woods’ red-hot start, 6-under for the first seven holes as he shot a third-round 65 to take a three-shot lead at the TOUR Championship at East Lake.

No, his fellow players were the best measure. They couldn’t help but look away from their own games to see what all the commotion was about.

“Unbelievable,” said Tony Finau (67, T6). “It really is. I was looking at the board and it said 6 under through seven; that’s incredible. I played a practice round with him Tuesday and, you know, his ball-striking ability is incredible and you know when he’s making some putts he’s going to make some noise.”

Woods distanced himself from playing partner Justin Rose (68) and even Rory McIlroy, who was one of three players to shoot 66 and is tied with Rose at 9 under, three back.

Kyle Stanley (67) and Jon Rahm (68) were tied for fourth at 6 under, six behind.

“The crowds were electric because of it,” Rose said of Woods’ hot start. “IHe was running the tables there. He was hitting good shots and making the conversion putts.” 

Somehow, Rose regrouped, refusing to let the pandemonium throw him off his game. Still, many others were left shaking their heads at Woods’ front-nine 30, which included a bogey at the brutally hard, 230-yard, par-3 9th hole.

“He was 6 under through seven on, I think, the tougher (nine),” said Paul Casey (66, T6). “I tend not to pay much attention to what’s going on most of the time, but I’ll be honest, it’s been a while since we’ve seen that sort of display from Tiger, so it’s kind of cool to pay attention to it.”

With each sonic boomlet that went up over East Lake, Casey and his caddie, John McLaren, looked at each other and smiled, trying to deduce just how low Woods was going.

“We heard the roar when he was obviously on one,” Casey continued. “We’re like, 'Oh, what’s he done there?' Then another roar, and then he was 10 under and I was like, ‘Hang on, I’ve missed one somewhere.’ It was cool. I mean we all want to win, but when you’re bumbling around at 3- or 4-under-par and he’s now 10, now you’re a spectator, almost.”

Woke up this morning and put on the Golf Channel, can’t wait until this afternoon and I’m not even rooting for Tiger. I’ve never seen a player in any sport move the dial as much as Tiger does.  Going to be an awesome afternoon of golf, rooting for McIlroy but fully acknowledging how good it will be for the game if Tiger wins.

Sweet Jesus is it going to be complete bonkers at Augusta in April.

Is this the greatest and most improbable comeback ever in sports?  I mean, considering the bottom he hit, professionally, personally, physically?  And it’s amplified by the fact that he was the #1 and probably dominated a pro sport more than any other has been dominated.  Just hard to think of a more dramatic example. 

Is this the greatest and most improbable comeback ever in sports?  I mean, considering the bottom he hit, professionally, personally, physically?  And it’s amplified by the fact that he was the #1 and probably dominated a pro sport more than any other has been dominated.  Just hard to think of a more dramatic example. 
I never thought it was that improbable...he was probably the most dominant player ever, got injured, got fixed, and now back to being one of the best.  Just seems logical.  :shrug:

Sure his age is a bit advanced, but when a golfer is that much better than the rest of the field Tiger was always going to come back a contender if he could ever get his health right IMHO.

Monica Seles was stabbed on court when she was ranked #1 in women’s tennis. It took her two years of surgeries and rehab before she came back and then she won another major.

Lance Armstrong cane back from cancer to win the Tour de France although the PEDs tends to put a cloud over that comeback.

Ben Hogan probably has Tiger beat so it probably isn’t even the greatest comeback in his sport. Hogan was in a horrible accident, he had to wait 90 minutes before help arrived. Doctors were unsure if he would walk again, let alone play golf. He came back and won multiple tournaments.

I'm rooting for 2 things, a tiger win. And a rose collapse, just enough to push tiger into the #1 spot, for the fed ex cup. Sheer entertainment. 
It's too bad this is such a long shot.  If he had a solid shot at it things would be even more bananas.

ETA:  tiger around ~60-65% to win tournament, but can't find good odds on the Fedex Cup itself.

Monica Seles was stabbed on court when she was ranked #1 in women’s tennis. It took her two years of surgeries and rehab before she came back and then she won another major.

Lance Armstrong cane back from cancer to win the Tour de France although the PEDs tends to put a cloud over that comeback.

Ben Hogan probably has Tiger beat so it probably isn’t even the greatest comeback in his sport. Hogan was in a horrible accident, he had to wait 90 minutes before help arrived. Doctors were unsure if he would walk again, let alone play golf. He came back and won multiple tournaments.
I'll take Tiger's come back over women's tennis, riding bicycles, and you calling golf a sport.

If he drives it in the fairway today he wins. Only way he could lose is getting in that thick rough too many times. Otherwise he has complete control of the ball and will get more than enough looks at birdie

It's too bad this is such a long shot.  If he had a solid shot at it things would be even more bananas.

ETA:  tiger around ~60-65% to win tournament, but can't find good odds on the Fedex Cup itself.
It’s unlikejy. Rose just has to finish in the top 5, right? He is nails. 

If he drives it in the fairway today he wins. Only way he could lose is getting in that thick rough too many times. Otherwise he has complete control of the ball and will get more than enough looks at birdie
I’m not that confident. There are a few scary holes on this course. He plunks one in the water or loses control of a couple drives and he could be in serious trouble. 

So in his first year back he nearly made it on the Ryder Cup by virtue of points (when the other players had 2 years) and he’s going to finish in the top 2 in FedEx points. And maybe win the Tour Championship. 

With a new swing. After spinal fusion surgery. In his mid-40s. 

Users who are viewing this thread