What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (2 Viewers)

With all due respect:

Major victories:       Jack 18    Tiger 15

Major runner-us:     Jack 19   Tiger 7

Masters:                     Jack 6     Tiger 5

US Opens                   Jack 4     Tiger 3

PGA                              Jack 5     Tiger 4

British Opens           Jack 3     Tiger 3

Jack Nicklaus = GOAT
Jack played in 164 majors. 

Tiger has played in 81. 

That stat doesn't mean we you think it means.
"The men's major golf championships, also known simply as the majors, are the four most prestigious events in professional golf. The competitions are the Masters Tournament, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship, contested annually."

I guess I could have added in the British Amateur and the US Amateur since they were once considered majors at one time.

"The men's major golf championships, also known simply as the majors, are the four most prestigious events in professional golf. The competitions are the Masters Tournament, the U.S. Open, The Open Championship and the PGA Championship, contested annually."

I guess I could have added in the British Amateur and the US Amateur since they were once considered majors at one time.
I was referring to the runner-up finishes. And I was also about to point out how many more Majors Jack played than Tiger has but Roboto took care of that.

A couple of months ago a friend of mine asked me who was the greatest athlete ever from Orange County, Ca, where I’ve lived my entire life. We discussed some Olympians, volleyball champions, a baseball pitcher from way back (Walter Johnson), a few football players. 

In retrospect the answer should have been obvious. 

After his "transgressions" came out you cannot deny the crowds turned on him.  Dude its not even close.  I am sure there are youtube vids giving examples of this.  People catcalling and such.

After his "transgressions" came out you cannot deny the crowds turned on him.  Dude its not even close.  I am sure there are youtube vids giving examples of this.  People catcalling and such.
Lol it probably made him even more popular. Gtfo with his. 

Do you think the competition is equal between the two golfers?
This is tough to say. Jack had to play against the likes of Palmer, Player, Watson, Trevino, who have about 30 major wins between them. I don't know the comparable major winners for Tiger although Phil's five is probably the most among current players. Also, Jack didn't do it with the current technology while he didn't play the current longer courses.

Tiger now has congratulatory Tweets in the past hour from the following:

Barack Obama

Bill Clinton

Tom Brady

Jack Nicklaus

Serena Williams

and on and on.

Per the Action Network's Tweet:

5 to 1 to tie Jack

10-1 to beat Jack

And to think Otis was getting harassed for not paying an unfinished bet.  Watson had a shot at the British in his 60s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a golf guy, but that was pretty fun to watch.  Happy for Tiger, that is a pretty amazing comeback
This.   I didn't like young Tiger but am so glad that older Tiger won today.   He has battled back from a lot, even if some of thos battles were his own doing.  It's great TV when he is in the hunt.   Hope his back holds up so we can continue enjoy watching greatness 

Good on you Tiger.  I was convinced you were finished.

11 years between majors and he's still only 43?  So he had 14 at 32, insane.  Were it not for the power of the #####, he'd have 25 by now. 

Good on you Tiger.  I was convinced you were finished.

11 years between majors and he's still only 43?  So he had 14 at 32, insane.  Were it not for the power of the #####, he'd have 25 by now. 
Not sure all the philandering led to a torn ACL, a torn Achilles, multiple microdiscectomies, and back fusion surgery in addition to broken bones, other surgeries, and less noteworthy injuries.

Top to bottom Tiger plays against tougher competition.  Tiger helped create a lot of that competition.

It is futile trying to compare eras.

Stupid to compare.  Its a completely different game now.  Apples to baseballs.  Not even remotely comparable
I disagree. Competition was harder for Jack during his peak years than tiger in his peak years. What Jack did is more remarkable than what tiger has done so far.

That being said, tiger is the best golfer I've ever seen. What he did today against that leaderboard is far more impressive than any of his previous wins. This is his greatest victory

He won the Masters by 12 shots.  And the US Open by 15 shots.
Against lesser players in his prime. He is now old and he's playing guys that routinely fly it past him. He hasn't won crap in 10 years, everyone gave up on him. He had to come from behind.  It's beyond impressive. This will go down as one of the greatest days in golf history and be reshown for 30 years or more

Top to bottom Tiger plays against tougher competition.  Tiger helped create a lot of that competition.

It is futile trying to compare eras.
I am not sure I am on board with the first part. Jack played against the best of his era. Tiger played against the best of his generation. Fans of any current era of sports will always claim that the current participants in their sport are way better than those from a different era. Like you said, the comparison is between peers of their time, not players across time.

Across the 25 years that Nicklaus won his major titles, here is a sampling of the players that also won majors . . . Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Dave Stockton, Larry Nelson, Billy Casper, Hale Irwin, Raymond Floyd, Tom Watson, Fuzzy Zoeller, Seve Ballesteros, Craig Stadler, Ben Crenshaw, Bernard Langer, Andy North, Hubert Green. Johnny Miller, David Graham, etc. There were plenty of competitive golfers that won multiple majors.

Not totally sure what you are trying to say . . . that each week in 2019 the entirety of an PGA event the skill level is better and that each golfer has a chance to win? Or that in the 60's / 70's / 80's there wasn't much competition beyond a core group of players and essentially most of the tournament entries back then were only there to round out the field?

There's no question that the current crop of players benefit from improved technology and equipment, better health and fitness / training, and likely more media publicity / coverage. There is real time coverage of everything these days. So sure, more players took to golf because there is more coverage of golf than ever before. But I am not sure that made it any easier to win a golf tournament back then when compared to now. Essentially, I would say it's always hard to win and each era has had tough competition.

Because of the tiger effect, bringing all these young athletes into the game who are all now in their prime, the competition in world golf has never been better, right now.

Interesting stat about tiger's play at Augusta. He only missed 7 greens the last three rounds

Users who are viewing this thread