Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tiger Woods


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

One of the crazier bets - Tiger never won the slam back when he was dominating, did he?

no.  and the field is tougher now. 

i dont get his story about never placing a bet before in his life and then he just decides to bet 40k on old tiger winning the masters?  something doesn't smell right

Edited by need2know
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, need2know said:

no.  and the field is tougher now. 

i dont get his story about never placing a bet before in his life and then he just decides to bet 40k on old tiger winning the masters?  something doesn't smell right

Tougher field and Tiger isn't that Tiger any more.  I could see doing that if you have tons of money and just want some attention on social media.  Outside that it's not even a sucker bet - it's an idiot's bet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, need2know said:

no.  and the field is tougher now. 

i dont get his story about never placing a bet before in his life and then he just decides to bet 40k on old tiger winning the masters?  something doesn't smell right

It was like 85K, every penny he had. Lucks out and then he just hands 100K right back to the casino. Guy is a wacko.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, need2know said:

no.  and the field is tougher now. 

i dont get his story about never placing a bet before in his life and then he just decides to bet 40k on old tiger winning the masters?  something doesn't smell right

I said the same thing.  99.62% it's a fake story.  I mean the bet was real, but the story I think was meant to be a stepping stone to something else.  Just seems fishy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

One of the crazier bets - Tiger never won the slam back when he was dominating, did he?

Nobody has won the modern era grand slam. Tiger won 4 in a row back in the day (which is among the greatest feats ever in golf) but not in the same year. Bobby jones won the grand slam in the 20's or 30's when the us and british amateur where part of it. It's just extremely unlikely it ever happens and the guy puts 6 figures on it. Put 100 bucks to win 10k or something like that? Sure. Risk 100k on it? What a loon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I said the same thing.  99.62% it's a fake story.  I mean the bet was real, but the story I think was meant to be a stepping stone to something else.  Just seems fishy.  

There's a long form article on the guy somewhere. He's nuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

I find this part hard to believe

He changed his story after he placed the 100k bet. Now he says he's a day trader.
 

Quote

 

Adducci let us into his financial history, but perhaps not all the way in, which is understandable. He said his supplement company faltered in 2017 after the supplier for the plasma-infused protein quadrupled its price for raw materials. Regardless, he said none of the money for the bet came from that business. He said in January 2018, he took about $60,000 in personal savings and invested it in Amazon. He bought shares of Amazon six more times that month, some on margin (borrowing from a broker to buy more stock), totaling $278,000. He did that five more times in 2018, totaling more than $500,000.

“I saved up over the years,” Adducci said, “and through buying on margin, I was able to buy more stock than I had available in cash.” In March of 2019, Adducci sold more than $55,000 of Amazon stock to help place the $85,000 bet.

We sent Adducci’s transactions to a financial advisor from Wisconsin, who analyzed them and said: “These are the actions of a gambler, not an investor. There’s a big difference. This is crazy behavior.” Just like the Tiger bet was his first sports wager, Adducci said the Amazon stock was his first investment.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

As for his improbable Grand Slam bet, Adducci’s simple justification behind it would infuriate almost anyone who has gambled on sports. “This is a very unique situation,” he said. “Tiger has won at Bethpage and at Pebble; he did it by the biggest margin in history. This is how my brain works. The energy of the universe, and what people want to see happen, is going to propel him to do it.”

Quote

And what if Adducci had lost that $85,000?

“The emotional aspect of losing—I’m not just saying this— I never really considered it,” he said. “It was truly everything that I could afford to lose, and my lifestyle not change.”

OK, so now he's saying it wasn't everything he had but everything he could afford to lose. Guy lied about being married too. He has some domestic abuse/battery charges in his past.

Quote

A day after William Hill U.S. held a press conference to celebrate Adducci, a USA Today report revealed his arrest record, which includes guilty charges on three counts of misdemeanor domestic abuse and a misdemeanor for battery. When Golf Digest initially interviewed Adducci the Monday after the Masters, he brought up his “wife,” telling us: “[She said] to me, ‘I can’t stop you from doing this, because if [Tiger] wins, I’ll never forgive myself.’ She’s a keeper.”

But Adducci isn’t married. “I should’ve never said I was married. I obviously misspoke,” he said a week later. He was referring to a conversation with an on-again, off-again girlfriend. Later, he said the reason he mentioned a wife was to avoid people interested in his money.

The Monday after the Masters, Adducci said he’d been $25,000 in debt, including some payments left on his nine-year-old Infiniti QX56 and a student loan. He also called himself a day trader, but a clearer characterization is that he manages his personal investment account, in addition to working construction jobs.

 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, need2know said:

no.  and the field is tougher now. 

i dont get his story about never placing a bet before in his life and then he just decides to bet 40k on old tiger winning the masters?  something doesn't smell right

He wasn't even getting good odds as I recall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, need2know said:

that guy that bet on tiger winning the slam is a ####### moron

Actually glad he lost. Guy has a rap sheet with a bunch of domestic violence charges. Hard to root for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gump said:

He was clearly not prepared...unlike him so you wonder why...age has to be a part of it, and that’s the hard thing for us fans to keep in mind.

 

Long narrow fairways with trouble everywhere aren't exactly his strong suit anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, gump said:

He was clearly not prepared...unlike him so you wonder why...age has to be a part of it, and that’s the hard thing for us fans to keep in mind.

 

He said something about it being a quick turnaround from the masters. Guy has to play in between majors. There was a video of him after the masters walking into some office really gingerly. Guy opted to rest instead of practice on wednesday. Have to think he wasn't right physically.

Here's that video of him after the masters walking gingerly. https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/1121451256164302850

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

He said something about it being a quick turnaround from the masters. Guy has to play in between majors. There was a video of him after the masters walking into some office really gingerly. Guy opted to rest instead of practice on wednesday. Have to think he wasn't right physically.

Here's that video of him after the masters walking gingerly. https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/1121451256164302850

Yep...It is what it is now...he can’t compete every time out but it’s different to see him not ready.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nipsey said:

He said something about it being a quick turnaround from the masters. Guy has to play in between majors. There was a video of him after the masters walking into some office really gingerly. Guy opted to rest instead of practice on wednesday. Have to think he wasn't right physically.

Here's that video of him after the masters walking gingerly. https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/1121451256164302850

That's just the way old guys walk.

 Quick turnaround? :lmao:  It's freaking golf.  I would lean towards him just being lazy over him being is such poor shape at 43 that four days of hiking at a one per mile hour pace required 6+ weeks of recovery.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay so it looked like Koepka might have an historic runaway major after Friday. However, he was not able to keep up all the way through the weekend and ended up winning by 2. This made me revisit Tiger's Pebble Beach win in 2000. He averaged 68 for his 4 rounds and the field averaged just over 75. That's 7 shots a round that he was better than the average player in the tournament. That is truly insane, and I don't know if there is anyone in any sport who was that dominant over the rest of their competitors in a single event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dhockster said:

Okay so it looked like Koepka might have an historic runaway major after Friday. However, he was not able to keep up all the way through the weekend and ended up winning by 2. This made me revisit Tiger's Pebble Beach win in 2000. He averaged 68 for his 4 rounds and the field averaged just over 75. That's 7 shots a round that he was better than the average player in the tournament. That is truly insane, and I don't know if there is anyone in any sport who was that dominant over the rest of their competitors in a single event.

Not really arguing against your point, but just pointing out that BPB is a much tougher track.  And the wind kicking up on the back nine on Sunday made it even worse.  I don't think DJ and Keopka were so much falling apart, as much as they were struggling in the conditions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

Not really arguing against your point, but just pointing out that BPB is a much tougher track.  And the wind kicking up on the back nine on Sunday made it even worse.  I don't think DJ and Keopka were so much falling apart, as much as they were struggling in the conditions.

I am not taking anything away from Koepka. But Woods was almost 4 shots a round better than the two slappies (Ernie Els and Miguel Angel Jiminez) who finished in second place. The conditions at Pebble Beach were very tough, yet Woods shot 12 under when the next best score was 3 over par. It still boggles my mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

So, does anyone want to admit they may have overreacted after The Masters?  

He's one of the top 5 players in the world.  But he's got to play more...no consistency. Not sure he can physically, at least all season.

I assume he ramps up at year end again with the Fedex run, when he played 10-12 weeks.  With this new Majors schedule, he may have to eventually choose to ramp up in April-July vs late summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gump said:

He's one of the top 5 players in the world.  But he's got to play more...no consistency. Not sure he can physically, at least all season.

I assume he ramps up at year end again with the Fedex run, when he played 10-12 weeks.  With this new Majors schedule, he may have to eventually choose to ramp up in April-July vs late summer.

Not playing between the Masters and the PGA was a huge mistake IMO (although IIRC he skipped the one planned event with an injury, but still: ONE EVENT??). 

I think he's got to play more weeks to keep his game sharp, but as you say, will his body hold up to let him do it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, matuski said:

You are having a rough morning, you didn't put any effort into this bait.

It's not bait.  After The Masters people were counting down how many more majors he'd win this year.  When I said that we should maybe cool our jets and realize he's an old guy and this was more a fluke than the norm, people went nuts.  

When asked if he'd win the PGA, I said it wasn't set up for him and people went nuts again.  I'm not taking anything away from his level of play right now, but I still think my version of reality where I said he's an old guy who probably won't be racking up major wins is slightly more accurate than what most thought.  

So I'm just asking if everyone who started thinking he was chasing down Jack again was now pulling back slightly on their expectations of Tiger today.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

It's not bait.  After The Masters people were counting down how many more majors he'd win this year.  When I said that we should maybe cool our jets and realize he's an old guy and this was more a fluke than the norm, people went nuts.  

When asked if he'd win the PGA, I said it wasn't set up for him and people went nuts again.  I'm not taking anything away from his level of play right now, but I still think my version of reality where I said he's an old guy who probably won't be racking up major wins is slightly more accurate than what most thought.  

So I'm just asking if everyone who started thinking he was chasing down Jack again was now pulling back slightly on their expectations of Tiger today.

Anyone winning a major is more of a fluke than the norm.

Unless of course you were talking about Tiger at his best.

eta - I missed any of what you described.  I saw people celebrating the greatest golfer ever for coming back and winning the Masters again.  Hard to overreact to the greatest ever doing something great.  :shrug:

Edited by matuski
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Not playing between the Masters and the PGA was a huge mistake IMO (although IIRC he skipped the one planned event with an injury, but still: ONE EVENT??). 

I think he's got to play more weeks to keep his game sharp, but as you say, will his body hold up to let him do it?

I mean the events were pretty ####ty between them.  Tbf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gump said:

He's one of the top 5 players in the world.  But he's got to play more...no consistency. Not sure he can physically, at least all season.

I assume he ramps up at year end again with the Fedex run, when he played 10-12 weeks.  With this new Majors schedule, he may have to eventually choose to ramp up in April-July vs late summer.

nope

edit: ok, its close

Edited by joffer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, joffer said:
46 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

He's like literally number 5 in the world golf rankings. 

was thinking more about the list in my head

He’s been playing competitively again for, what, 18-19 months?

The OWGR has an arbitrary minimum denominator of 40 events. If we instead used Woods’ actual number of events (29), his average points per event would be 10.31. Just behind #2 Dustin Johnson (10.46) and WAY ahead of Rose and McIlroy (8.70 & 8.63.)

Just out of curiosity, what’s his UJWR (unofficial Joffer world ranking)?

ASIDE - just FTR, Woods has played 20 or 21 events in a season 5 times, none since 2005 (also his first four full seasons, 1997-2000.) It would be fair to point out the vast majority of the 683 weeks he held the #1 ranking, it was with the minimum divisor of 40 instead of his actual number of events.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Eager to see how Tiger looks this week...

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/14/2019-open-championship-tiger-woods-healthy/

“I wouldn’t rush to put any money on Tiger Woods,” McGinley wrote. “I don’t understand what’s going on with the Masters champion. Since April, he has entered just one tournament outside the majors — the Memorial in late May. That is bizarre. There must be something physically amiss we don’t know about because even in the zenith of his career 20 years ago he couldn’t have expected to contend for the big championships with so few competitive rounds under his belt.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gump said:

Eager to see how Tiger looks this week...

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/14/2019-open-championship-tiger-woods-healthy/

“I wouldn’t rush to put any money on Tiger Woods,” McGinley wrote. “I don’t understand what’s going on with the Masters champion. Since April, he has entered just one tournament outside the majors — the Memorial in late May. That is bizarre. There must be something physically amiss we don’t know about because even in the zenith of his career 20 years ago he couldn’t have expected to contend for the big championships with so few competitive rounds under his belt.”

I think he's physically fine or at least as fine as he's going to be. The PGA Tour schedule has been a little strange this season. After the Masters win I can understand the decision to not play until the PGA (where he was sick, only real poor showing of the season). He played in the Memorial to tune up the for US Open. After the US Open what was he going to play in over here? None of those events were tournaments he'd ever play in. You could argue he should have played in Scotland or Ireland these last couple of weeks I guess. Tiger himself admitted he needs to play more. I'm definitely not going to have many (if any) shares of the guy this week but wouldn't be surprised if he played well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...