Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tiger Woods

It's a shame that his streak of 18 consecutive top 10 finishes is coming to an end this week.What a bum.

No one called him a bum. I just think we're on the cusp of an era. An era that eventually has to end. Never realized how emotional some people are around Tiger until I went back and read this thread. He's a powerful man.
At least his fans will have all those piddly little tournaments he's been stepping up for lately. I'm having a hard time blaming his failures in majors on his 'recuperating knee' when he seems to kick major ### when there's not much at stake.I hate to say it, but Mr. Woods has come down with a bad case of the chokes. His knee is fine.
Piddly? You have no idea what you are talking about. None.

It's a shame that his streak of 18 consecutive top 10 finishes is coming to an end this week.What a bum.

No one called him a bum. I just think we're on the cusp of an era. An era that eventually has to end. Never realized how emotional some people are around Tiger until I went back and read this thread. He's a powerful man.
At least his fans will have all those piddly little tournaments he's been stepping up for lately. I'm having a hard time blaming his failures in majors on his 'recuperating knee' when he seems to kick major ### when there's not much at stake.I hate to say it, but Mr. Woods has come down with a bad case of the chokes. His knee is fine.
Non-majors.

Non-majors.
so he wins arnold's tournament, jack's tournament, and his tournament. 3 of the best fields outside of the majors and the player's and the tournament of champions....piddly. makes sense.

Non-majors.
He won the US Open last year and just won the Memorial which I would rather win than the PGA. Only someone that is as clueless as you are would shrug off winning Jack's Tournament and Arnie's Tournament in the same year. Edited by PizzaDeliveryGuy

He won the US Open last year and just won the Memorial which I would rather win than the PGA. Only someone that is as clueless as you are would shrug off winning Jack's Tournament and Arnie's Tournament in the same year.

They're not majors. Does anyone care who wins the non-slam events in tennis? Of course not. Golf is popular in this country and the demographic that watches it has disposable income. That' why there seems to be a golf tournament on every weekend. But make no mistake about it, it's teh majors that matter.Before Mickelson was finally able to win a major, I didn't hear his apologists listing all the non-majors he won. It didn't matter. Let's not start suddenly exagerate the importance of "Jack's Tournament" or "Tiger's Tournament" for the sole purpose nof pretending that Tiger is still doing well. You must look at the majors. They call them that for a reason.

I realize that tiger has very high expectations of himself, bu he is a first class ##### when he plays poorly. Throwing his clubs, cursing, visibly frustrated, swinging at he ground etc. It's pretty lame IMO. I don't relly see anyone else out there doing that kinda stuff.

:goodposting: Absolutely. And Jacobson called him out on it yesterday. His peers don't respect him much.

I realize that tiger has very high expectations of himself, bu he is a first class ##### when he plays poorly. Throwing his clubs, cursing, visibly frustrated, swinging at he ground etc. It's pretty lame IMO. I don't relly see anyone else out there doing that kinda stuff.

:goodposting: Absolutely. And Jacobson called him out on it yesterday. His peers don't respect him much.
:lmao:are you really this clueless?

Add me into the group of first class #######s too when I play poorly, which is almost every time. :mellow:

Nope. Pretty clued-in actually. Saw it on sportscenter. Jacobson said he's tired of his little meltdowns and he needs to show some class.

Nope. Pretty clued-in actually. Saw it on sportscenter. Jacobson said he's tired of his little meltdowns and he needs to show some class.
This guy pays most of your salary, Jacobsen. Shut it up and quit acting like a golf dork. It happens. :rolleyes:

This guy pays most of your salary, Jacobsen. Shut it up and quit acting like a golf dork. It happens. :rolleyes:
Doesn't mean it's not true

1. It's very possible that other players could be doing similar things and we wouldn't know it b/c we really don't care enough to pay attention.

2. There are many things that Tiger does that you don't see other players doing. You don't see other players come off a major injury, proceed to finish top 10 in the 1st eight tourneys back, winning 3 big tournaments, and consider it a slump.

If Tiger is, indeed, the only guy on the tour acting this way, then a logical argument could be made that others should consider it.

One thing's for sure, ABC wishes they had that first class ##### out there acting lame.

Lots of :goodposting: here. Bottom line, other pros tolerate Tiger's tantrums because flapgreen is right, he pays their massive salaries. But Junior and Sheriff are also right...most of them believe he's crapping on the game. There is tons of arrogance among the golfing elite, no doubt...but the vast majority of them know to contain their anger between the ropes.Tiger is the best golfer to ever play the game...but he's not exactly the best champion it's ever had.

:goodposting:

well, it's pretty obvious that you don't get golf. so it makes sense that you'd base your ridiculous sentiments on something as lowest common denominator as sportscenter/espn.

Lots of :goodposting: here. Bottom line, other pros tolerate Tiger's tantrums because flapgreen is right, he pays their massive salaries. But Junior and Sheriff are also right...most of them believe he's crapping on the game. There is tons of arrogance among the golfing elite, no doubt...but the vast majority of them know to contain their anger between the ropes.Tiger is the best golfer to ever play the game...but he's not exactly the best champion it's ever had.

I love Tiger and his tenacity when things are going well, I would just like to see him be a little more controlled when things aren't going so well, it does display a little something about his character IMO.

I love Tiger and his tenacity when things are going well, I would just like to see him be a little more controlled when things aren't going so well, it does display a little something about his character IMO.
I totally agree.

So what's the verdict? He went from invisible in his last major to not making the cut.

That you're an obnoxious idiot. But we knew that. I wouldn't suggest a poll.
Someone's taking this hard. Do you have pictures of Tiger doing the fist pump in the garage where you keep your clubs?

So what's the verdict? He went from invisible in his last major to not making the cut.

see now you're showing the true nature of this :fishing:

pushed it too far. sad really.

Lots of :goodposting: here. Bottom line, other pros tolerate Tiger's tantrums because flapgreen is right, he pays their massive salaries. But Junior and Sheriff are also right...most of them believe he's crapping on the game. There is tons of arrogance among the golfing elite, no doubt...but the vast majority of them know to contain their anger between the ropes.

Tiger is the best golfer to ever play the game...but he's not exactly the best champion it's ever had.

I love it. Before Tiger, it was difficult to relate to anyone in golf. They all came across as a bunch of rich country club guys. Now that someone is showing a little emotion, it's easier to relate. It's becoming more like the other major sports. This has upset the so called "golf purists", though. The problem is that they don't really understand the evolution of the sport and are hurting it themselves. It's not same as it was 50 years ago or even 20 years ago. If it was, it wouldn't be very popular and they sure wouldn't be making as much money. The fans seem to see it that way also. Look at how popular it has become

I think the current popularity of golf has benefited from Tiger's dominance, as well as his display of emotion. You see it all of the time in other sports and don't hear anyone whining about it, and Tiger's outburst aren't even that bad. Now, I'm not saying guys should be allowed to go "Happy Gilmore" or anything but showing some emotion isn't that big of a deal, imo. :shrug:

see now you're showing the true nature of this :fishing:

pushed it too far. sad really.

seriously?
seriously?

I could certainly understand someone finding his behavior annoying, but making inferences about his character based on it? I just don't see it.Many like to use the way people handle adversity as a good judge of character. We don't judge it on it's beauty and grace. It's not a beauty contest, it's a competitive event (some might say sport). Like many great athletes, you wouldn't want your children hearing the things coming out of their mouth when they are in the midst of turning failure into victory. It's the same in any walk of life. We praise a business man who turns a struggling business around, but if were to hear what comes out during the most frustrating times, it wouldn't be pretty.Thus, we typically judge the character by how people get it turned around after times of adversity. So, how does Tiger handle adversity?While it's not pretty during short snippets of time, we could easily make the case that he handles better than athlete in history.To me, the most remarkable aspect of his career is that he's undergone 2 major swing adjustments and come out of "slumps" in completely dominant fashion (not to mention what he's about to do after missing an entire year with an injury).From the time Tiger was born until the middle of 1997, Tiger dominated everything in sight. By Tiger's standards, he was completely terrible in 1998. How'd he handle it? He went to work on his swing and launched, possibly, the greatest 2 year stretch of any athlete ever ('99 thru the '01 Masters). He went through a similar experience with the knee injury and swing change following his '03-'04 "slump". Not to mention how rare it is for someone who was a star at a very early age to always maintain that drive to succeed throughout their entire life and not generally turn into a dirtbag. That's incredibly rare and I'm having a tough time thinking anyone else who's ever done that.If we are wondering about Tiger's "character" we have many, many things to go on. The fact that he gets visibly frustrated when he's not playing well shouldn't even register a blip in that discussion.

I could certainly understand someone finding his behavior annoying, but making inferences about his character based on it? I just don't see it.Many like to use the way people handle adversity as a good judge of character. We don't judge it on it's beauty and grace. It's not a beauty contest, it's a competitive event (some might say sport). Like many great athletes, you wouldn't want your children hearing the things coming out of their mouth when they are in the midst of turning failure into victory. It's the same in any walk of life. We praise a business man who turns a struggling business around, but if were to hear what comes out during the most frustrating times, it wouldn't be pretty.Thus, we typically judge the character by how people get it turned around after times of adversity. So, how does Tiger handle adversity?While it's not pretty during short snippets of time, we could easily make the case that he handles better than athlete in history.To me, the most remarkable aspect of his career is that he's undergone 2 major swing adjustments and come out of "slumps" in completely dominant fashion (not to mention what he's about to do after missing an entire year with an injury).From the time Tiger was born until the middle of 1997, Tiger dominated everything in sight. By Tiger's standards, he was completely terrible in 1998. How'd he handle it? He went to work on his swing and launched, possibly, the greatest 2 year stretch of any athlete ever ('99 thru the '01 Masters). He went through a similar experience with the knee injury and swing change following his '03-'04 "slump". Not to mention how rare it is for someone who was a star at a very early age to always maintain that drive to succeed throughout their entire life and not generally turn into a dirtbag. That's incredibly rare and I'm having a tough time thinking anyone else who's ever done that.If we are wondering about Tiger's "character" we have many, many things to go on. The fact that he gets visibly frustrated when he's not playing well shouldn't even register a blip in that discussion.
One question, do you know him personally?

One question, do you know him personally?
No, I don't and that's kind of my point.As it sounds like you are getting at, it's sort of silly to make judgments about a man's character by what they do on the golf course. I have no idea how he treats his family and those around him.Now, even though it's silly, we obviously will try to form an opinion of his character. My point is only that, given what we do know, I don't see how we can form negative opinions about his character based on his, perfectly natural and normal, on-course reactions.All we really know about him is that he's in the argument for the most intense, tenacious competitor of all time. I'd expect someone like that to get visibly frustrated when he's not playing up to his potential.If you're point is that those that know him better than we do (other golfers) don't really like him, I just don't put much stock in that. I can't imagine many of them liking Tiger under any circumstances.

I didn't realize we had so many world class athletes on this forum that can fill us in on what it takes to get and stay at the top. I really appreciate this info and will bookmark for future reference.

I didn't realize we had so many world class athletes on this forum that can fill us in on what it takes to get and stay at the top. I really appreciate this info and will bookmark for future reference.

welcome to fbgs
Here I am wasting time reading books by Byron Nelson and Jack Nicklaus...when all I had to do was listen to Junior, Fin, and Pete Jacobsen.

Nope. Pretty clued-in actually.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Once again, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Just stop. You think that golfers are all "aw shucks" on the golf course when things are going bad? I'm guessing you haven't played too many competitive sports and I know you have never played any serious golf.

He won the US Open last year and just won the Memorial which I would rather win than the PGA. Only someone that is as clueless as you are would shrug off winning Jack's Tournament and Arnie's Tournament in the same year.

They're not majors. Does anyone care who wins the non-slam events in tennis? Of course not. Golf is popular in this country and the demographic that watches it has disposable income. That' why there seems to be a golf tournament on every weekend. But make no mistake about it, it's teh majors that matter.Before Mickelson was finally able to win a major, I didn't hear his apologists listing all the non-majors he won. It didn't matter. Let's not start suddenly exagerate the importance of "Jack's Tournament" or "Tiger's Tournament" for the sole purpose nof pretending that Tiger is still doing well. You must look at the majors. They call them that for a reason.
Your lack of knowledge at every corner astounds me.

that's what i like about tiger

Your lack of knowledge at every corner astounds me.
Disagreeing with you does not represent a lack of knowledge.You take this Tiger-loving seriously, huh?Better go put some wax on that Tiger Fathead in your bedroom. They don't stay shiny forever.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Once again, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Just stop. You think that golfers are all "aw shucks" on the golf course when things are going bad? I'm guessing you haven't played too many competitive sports and I know you have never played any serious golf.
:lmao: Yeah. That's why Jacobson singled him out. Dude, step off the guy's jockstrap long enough to realize that his behavior is childish and not in the spirit of professional golf. I never saw Arnie or Jack acting like a spoiled Little Leaguer. :thumbdown:

A lot of people crabwalking in here. I guess I need to clarify a bit. When we make the statement "______ is done" What do we mean? Usually its a statement made about a person or team dominating. When I say Tiger is done I don't mean he's done....he'll never win another match. I mean his is coming off his plateau. He will no longer dominate like he has. People say the Patriots are done, the Yankees are done, Cuba Gooding Jr is done. Does that mean that the Pats might not squeeze out another Championship? Cuba Gooding Jr, considered done by many managed to do some decent work in Radio. Lets not lose perspective here.

:lmao:

are you really this clueless?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Once again, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Just stop. You think that golfers are all "aw shucks" on the golf course when things are going bad? I'm guessing you haven't played too many competitive sports and I know you have never played any serious golf.

Yeah. That's why Jacobson singled him out. Dude, step off the guy's jockstrap long enough to realize that his behavior is childish and not in the spirit of professional golf. I never saw Arnie or Jack acting like a spoiled Little Leaguer. :thumbdown:

Then you didn't watch very closely.

A lot of people crabwalking in here. I guess I need to clarify a bit. When we make the statement "______ is done" What do we mean? Usually its a statement made about a person or team dominating. When I say Tiger is done I don't mean he's done....he'll never win another match. I mean his is coming off his plateau. He will no longer dominate like he has. People say the Patriots are done, the Yankees are done, Cuba Gooding Jr is done. Does that mean that the Pats might not squeeze out another Championship? Cuba Gooding Jr, considered done by many managed to do some decent work in Radio. Lets not lose perspective here.

BTW:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?02394

DONE!!

are you really this clueless?

Once again, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Just stop. You think that golfers are all "aw shucks" on the golf course when things are going bad? I'm guessing you haven't played too many competitive sports and I know you have never played any serious golf.

Yeah. That's why Jacobson singled him out. Dude, step off the guy's jockstrap long enough to realize that his behavior is childish and not in the spirit of professional golf. I never saw Arnie or Jack acting like a spoiled Little Leaguer. :thumbdown:

Then you didn't watch very closely.
What has Jacobson won?