What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

live Grateful Dead (1 Viewer)

tommyboy

Footballguy
I've kind of gone on a Dead kick recently after they had an 8 hour marathon a couple weeks ago on local public radio, all live bootleg Dead stuff. It got me sniffing around the internet for live Dead and I found the internet archive- dead section http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

so I spent a weekend perusing all of it as much as time allowed and found a few shows that I thought stood out. This thread is for anyone that likes the Dead to share whatever shows they feel have that extra "it" factor that makes a live show memorable. I ended up recording and burning to CD the following shows:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-06-1...90.sbeok.flac16

kentucky 74, big sound, great set

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-05-0...82.sbeok.flac16

france 72, ditto above

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-02-02....0374.sbeok.shnf

st louis 70, partial recording but st stephen rocks

http://www.archive.org/details/gd80-05-14....3295.sbeok.shnf

NY '80, great version of Althea

enjoy

Big fan, I can't help it. I view the bootlegs by years and who is in the band lineup. For my money I think almost everything out of the 1977 tour is some of the best stuff out there (I am not the only one with that opinion). I also like alot of the stuff from 1989 when Hornsby started to sit in.

:goodposting:

I downloaded their discography recently. I had a good amount before, but this appears to have quite a few more live albums.

:rant:

I really need to see if I can find any shows I went to and download them

Always enjoyed the covers I saw them do including Maggie's Farm, Broken Arrow, Mr. Fantasy to name a few.

I was a late comer to the Dead, but this was my first show and I must say I was hooked. Caught them a few times after that, but then Jerry died :goodposting:

Don't feel too bad for me, I was onto Phish by then!!

Eugene Oregon (June 1994)

Here is the set list: With what I know now about Dead shows, this is a pretty damn fat set. Huey Lewis sat in for a few songs as well, but I would have to listen to tell which ones. I guess I will do that right now!

:rant: :cry: :goodposting: :goodposting:

1 Jack Straw 06:35

2 Sugaree 12:09 (I was hooked after this song for sure)

3 It's All Over Now 07:02

4 Tennessee Jed 10:00

5 Me And My Uncle 03:00

6 Maggie's Farm 06:42

7 Candyman 06:29 (Everyone told me how lucky I was to hear this)

8 Easy Answers 06:41

9 China Cat Sunflower 07:11

10 I Know You Rider 05:25

11 Man Smart Woman Smarter 08:17 (Crowd lost their minds on this one, lot of feminism in good 'ol Eugene)

12 Crazy Fingers 08:18

13 Corrina 12:57

14 Drums 12:40

15 Space 16:58

16 The Last Time 06:56

17 Days Between 14:10

18 One More Saturday Night 05:16

19 I Fought The Law (Perfect for my mind set back then. Went and did a bunch of balloons about a half hour after this song ended)

I love the dead section of the archive. Obviously putting everything I love would be too much for this, but here are a few things I'm listening to lately:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd78-11-21....1667.sbeok.shnf

Highlights: Cassidy- Dire Wolf - Me and My Uncle

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-02-2...ar.13961.flac16

Highlights: China>Rider, Ship of Fools, DarkStar>Morning Dew, NFA>GDTRFB>NFA, Baby Blue encore

http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-12-05....3391.sbeok.shnf

Highlights: Jack Straw, Mr. Charlie, Deal, Sugaree

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1973-05-2...ed.83535.flac16

Highlights: All of it

And a later show for good measure:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-03-14....8466.sbeok.shnf

This first set absolutely smokes for the time period

Enjoy!

I've kind of gone on a Dead kick recently after they had an 8 hour marathon a couple weeks ago on local public radio, all live bootleg Dead stuff. It got me sniffing around the internet for live Dead and I found the internet archive- dead section http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

so I spent a weekend perusing all of it as much as time allowed and found a few shows that I thought stood out. This thread is for anyone that likes the Dead to share whatever shows they feel have that extra "it" factor that makes a live show memorable. I ended up recording and burning to CD the following shows:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1974-06-1...90.sbeok.flac16

kentucky 74, big sound, great set

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-05-0...82.sbeok.flac16

france 72, ditto above

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-02-02....0374.sbeok.shnf

st louis 70, partial recording but st stephen rocks

http://www.archive.org/details/gd80-05-14....3295.sbeok.shnf

NY '80, great version of Althea

enjoy
Great site. :shrug: Listening to the "Loose Lucy" from that first one right now.How do you download & convert these different types of files to mp3s or something you can burn to a CD?

July 17, 1989 - Alpine Valley

This one was my first "real" Dead show, and it was awesome. :thumbup:

Let The Good Times Roll

Feel Like A Stranger

Built To Last

Me & My Uncle-> Cumberland Blues

It's All Over Now

Row Jimmy

When I Paint My Masterpiece

When Push Comes To Shove

The Music Never Stopped

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider

Playin' In The Band-> Uncle John's Band-> Standing On the Moon*

Drums, Jam-> The Wheel-> Gimme Some Lovin'-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Not Fade Away

E: We Bid You Good Night, E: Johnny B. Goode

Carrier Dome, October 1983. About halfway through Shakedown Street (opening song) Phil figures out that his bass has a note that resonates the whole damned Dome, and he mines that sucker for all it's worth. Required Dead listening if you have a good subwoofer or bass setup on your sound system.

:thumbdown:

I really need to see if I can find any shows I went to and download them

Always enjoyed the covers I saw them do including Maggie's Farm, Broken Arrow, Mr. Fantasy to name a few.
Saw them do this the first time live(Red Rocks) - Jerry sang it and later as they put it in the set they let Brent sing it. I was in 10th row and they were jamming along on PITB when they realized where it was going and they started looking at each other to see if it was going to go on the way they started - they all ended up looking at Jerry and he started the verses - he had a huge grin, maybe from the fact that they just ended up there or from the fact that he didn't know all the words and he knew he was in deep. Crowd all looked at each other and went nuts. Not the best rendition here but it was a real treat.

Link

A real fun show - Iko to start the show - a long Shakedown for the start of the second.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

RIP Jerry

miss the ease of downloading quality SBs on archive - thanks Bobby!
Does this mean the reason I can't figure out where to download the show I'm listening to is that is isn't possible?I'd love to have the Alpine Show for my mp3 player.
they usually only let you download the lesser quality versions of shows...so for the Alpine Valley show you mention, they have like 4 copies of that one. This is the one they let you dowload:http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-07-1...mb.92457.flac16

miss the ease of downloading quality SBs on archive - thanks Bobby!
Does this mean the reason I can't figure out where to download the show I'm listening to is that is isn't possible?I'd love to have the Alpine Show for my mp3 player.
they usually only let you download the lesser quality versions of shows...so for the Alpine Valley show you mention, they have like 4 copies of that one. This is the one they let you dowload:http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-07-1...mb.92457.flac16
Thanks! :unsure:

If you have an Iphone, download the app DeadSetz.

It lists every show, every set list and most importantly you can listen to each set list (songs) live like it was recorded the night of the actual live concert.

First show. So awesome, although I'm not a big fan of that first set.

04-08-89 Riverfront Arena, Cincinnati, Oh. (Sat)

1: LTGTR> Wang Dang Doodle> West L. A., Blow Away> Queen Jane, Loser, Cassidy> Don't Ease

2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, L. L. Rain> Eyes> Drumz> Wheel> Mr. Fantasy> Hey Jude Finale> Miracle> Black Peter> Saturday Night

E: Box Of Rain

How do you download & convert these different types of files to mp3s or something you can burn to a CD?
couple ways, if you are interested in quality and don't care about file size (that's me) the way I do it is I use Audacity (do a google search and download free version) then I record off my stereo line as a .wav file using 44.1hz and 16 bit. the files end up being huge like 30mb for a short song or 50mb for a 6 minute song, but I don't care. I get high quality sound and thats all I care about. there's a more complicated method where you can record as .flac using Audacity, then convert from .flac to wave using "frontend" program, which shrinks the files roughly by half but I think knocks the sound quality down a peg. i'd rather have a larger wave file and better sound quality, because all of these files have been compressed or edited in some form already when they uploaded them to the website, so knocking the quality down further doesn't excite me.so, open audacity->play song online and record at same time --> snip the front and end of the file so its a clean cut --> save as .wav file in a folder --> compile and burn onto a 780MB CD. if you have better burnware you can probably figure out how to do it on a DVD instead, and you could then burn a lot more songs on a session, but i'm not that good.If you get stuck, send me a pm and i'll help you furtherlater

LOL

Barton Hall is the 3rd and 5th most downloaded. The accustics in that place suck hairy moose meat. Still, I saw and enjoyed many a concert there. Most memorable, The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys. Ok, so this is about the Dead. Missed them in Ithaca but did see them in Syracuse (field house, not the Dome, circa '70, meh; Watkins Glen with The Band and The Allman Brothers '73, awesome concert; and Philly Spectrum in '74 were we got within 10 feet of the stage, best Dead experience!

I am partial to '74 and '77 but here is a 90's show that was awesome..

Boston Garden 9/22/91

The Samson into Iko is off the charts. A couple of great Dylan covers in Maggie's Farm and It Takes A Lot to Laugh and the He's Gone>Nobody's Fault>Spoonful is fantastic.

Hornsby was on his game for this show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several of these uploaded to iTunes

I think you can upload all audience shows....actually I uploaded a couple of boards as well :lmao: :bye:

I am partial to '74 and '77 but here is a 90's show that was awesome..

Boston Garden 9/22/91

The Samson into Iko is off the charts. A couple of great Dylan covers in Maggie's Farm and It Takes A Lot to Laugh and the He's Gone>Nobody's Fault>Spoonful is fantastic.

Hornsby was on his game for this show.
Pretty sure this was my first indoor Dead show. It was a birthday present from my brother. I remember opening up the mail order tickets. We had something like 7th row. Probably the best damn present that dude has ever gotten me.

Huge dead guy back in the late 80's early 90s..........some of these really bring back great memories.

Big fan, I can't help it. I view the bootlegs by years and who is in the band lineup. For my money I think almost everything out of the 1977 tour is some of the best stuff out there (I am not the only one with that opinion). I also like alot of the stuff from 1989 when Hornsby started to sit in.
Anything from 76-77 is gonna be great although Donna will kill a couple of songs.

Formerly The Warlocks

When the first few dates of the October ’89 East Coast tour were announced, the Hampton (Virginia) Coliseum, long one of the band’s favorite places (and the site of many a fine Dead show) was not included on the list. You see, there had been some problems outside the last shows the band had played there — too many ticketless folks, too crazy a scene — and the powers-that-be in Hampton weren’t sure they wanted the Dead back at all. This is a problem the Dead encountered a lot during their post “Touch of Grey” renaissance, so the band got creative: Just ten days before the tour was to begin, the Dead suddenly announced a pair of “stealth” shows at Hampton set for October 8 and 9, 1989. There were no mail-order tickets sold for these gigs (as was common in those days); in fact, ducats were only sold in Southern Virginia through local ticket outlets, as a way to keep out the inevitable Dead Head invasion that followed the band everywhere. Instead of “Grateful Dead,” the tickets said “Formerly The Warlocks” on them, and when fans arrived at the gig those nights, the marquee read “The Warlocks.” Non-Deadheads passing the Coliseum must have been very confused seeing a band they’d probably never heard of headlining the arena. That, of course, was the point.

The folks who were lucky enough to score tickets for the “Warlocks” shows in Hampton were treated to two of the most exciting shows of the year. Because not only was the group playing great, they had also taken the time to rehearse some old favorites they hadn’t tackled in a number of years, including “Dark Star,” the glorious triumvirate of “Help on the Way” > “Slipknot!” > “Franklin’s Tower,” “Death Don’t Have No Mercy” (played just once at Shoreline 11 days earlier), and perhaps most surprising of all, “Attics of My Life” (unplayed since 1972!). Not surprisingly, the crowd greeted these “revivals” with ecstasy bordering on hysteria. Can I get a “Woo-hooooo!”?

Over the course of the two concerts, the band offered up what was practically a career retrospective, delving into crowd pleasing nuggets ranging from “Playing in the Band” to “Bird Song” to “Uncle John’s Band” to “Eyes of the World” to a spectacular “Morning Dew”; raucous rockers including “I Need a Miracle,” “Good Lovin’” and that incendiary Brent-Phil stomper “Gimme Some Lovin’”; and recent tunes such as “Foolish Heart,” “Victim or the Crime” and “Built to Last,” among many others (“Dear Mr. Fantasy”! “Stuck Inside of Mobile”! Lotsa good stuff, for sure.) You can find the complete set lists here.

The Formerly The Warlocks box collects every note of the band’s two nights there, spread over six CDs. The concerts were originally recorded by Grateful Dead sound wizard John Cutler in the Le Mobile remote truck, and mixed recently by longtime Grateful Dead-associate and Bob Weir/RatDog studio engineer and front-of-house mixer Mike McGinn. As always, the discs have been mastered to HDCD specifications, so needless to say, it sounds like you’re there, in the best seats in the house.

Saw both shows - excellent experience :lmao:

They're releasing the entire Europe '72 tour on 60 discs. Tempted to buy this but at $450 not going to happen. Would be an amazing collection to have though, this was a very good era in Dead history.

LOL

Barton Hall is the 3rd and 5th most downloaded. The accustics in that place suck hairy moose meat. Still, I saw and enjoyed many a concert there. Most memorable, The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys. Ok, so this is about the Dead. Missed them in Ithaca but did see them in Syracuse (field house, not the Dome, circa '70, meh; Watkins Glen with The Band and The Allman Brothers '73, awesome concert; and Philly Spectrum in '74 were we got within 10 feet of the stage, best Dead experience!
This show was legendary mostly due to the fact that high quality boots were readily available. Anyone that had even a small tape collection had Barton Hall, and odds are it sounded great. It was also a good show, but I think its legendary status is due to the fact that the bootleg was so widely available and high quality.

LOL

This show was legendary mostly due to the fact that high quality boots were readily available. Anyone that had even a small tape collection had Barton Hall, and odds are it sounded great. It was also a good show, but I think its legendary status is due to the fact that the bootleg was so widely available and high quality.
It's legendary because the Scarlet>Fire is perhaps the most awesome musical performance by any band - ever. That transition is an incredible piece of music - and it is Jerry at perhaps his very best.

LOL

It's legendary because the Scarlet>Fire is perhaps the most awesome musical performance by any band - ever. That transition is an incredible piece of music - and it is Jerry at perhaps his very best.
Yes, it's pretty awesome, as are the rest of the "peak week" shows. For my money though, the spacier 1974 era > the disco 1977-78 years.

They're releasing the entire Europe '72 tour on 60 discs. Tempted to buy this but at $450 not going to happen. Would be an amazing collection to have though, this was a very good era in Dead history.
Wow - very cool release.... but $450? LOL - wouldnt have happened on Jerry's watchWaiting for another View from the Vault DVD...they should be pumping these out....

They sold out 7200 copies of the box set in 3 days, looks like a lot of people want this.Now they are just offering the music without the box set packaging for $450. If I didn't get in originally, I'm not going to now.

They sold out 7200 copies of the box set in 3 days, looks like a lot of people want this.Now they are just offering the music without the box set packaging for $450. If I didn't get in originally, I'm not going to now.
When is this gonna be released?

When is this gonna be released?
September is what i recall hearing.

I have so many shows that I have on Fl ac that I never listen too because of I need to convert them. I gotta get on that. I find I like the post Wake of the Flood shows and early 90's Hornsby shows best.

Only chance I had to see them: Chapel Hill 1993 They were really tight, and the crowd was good. I spent much of the night with the spinners, outside looking in. Sooooo close to catching them at Woodstock but maybe it's best I missed that trip. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread