What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

live Grateful Dead (1 Viewer)

You cannot download soundboards from LMA and they remove all soundboard sources completely once the show gets an official release. The about face the leftovers have done with the tapes has been pretty lame. It's hard to imagine Jerry being cool with it.
There's a download workaround for the LMA soundboards...

Big fan, I can't help it. I view the bootlegs by years and who is in the band lineup. For my money I think almost everything out of the 1977 tour is some of the best stuff out there (I am not the only one with that opinion). I also like alot of the stuff from 1989 when Hornsby started to sit in.
Amen! Those are both my fav's

Partially because 89 was my first shows and when I started to follow.

The 70's shows are an eaxy win, but I'm a bigger fan of my era before Jerry started to falter again.

The 90 LV show was absurd good. and the post-Brett Hornsby/Marsales shows in 89-90 are phenominal.

Very touching "So Many Roads" from that last show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFyRQPraJ8

The rest of the show is horrible.
I have read a couple books on the Dead and the ones that reference the later years all pretty much acknowledge that the band was done. They knew it but just couldnt figure out how to end it. Jerry at the end was just pathetic and couldnt keep it together.
Where did you read these things? Jerry was the only one calling for a hiatus toward the end. The rest of them kept telling him they and the organization had mouths to feed and kept booking tours and pushing him out there. And his poor play in '94 and '95 was almost entirely due to carpel tunnel and complications from a jellyfish sting and not the heroin he was on again.

Where did you read these things? Jerry was the only one calling for a hiatus toward the end. The rest of them kept telling him they and the organization had mouths to feed and kept booking tours and pushing him out there. And his poor play in '94 and '95 was almost entirely due to carpel tunnel and complications from a jellyfish sting and not the heroin he was on again.
Phil Lesh says differently about who was behind wanting to continue the tour and do the tour in the first place, and I'm not sure how you can blame carpel tunnel on Jerry's bad play, because it wasn't just messing up on the guitar. He would forget the lyrics to songs, and struggle to sing. He was so messed up that most bands would have fired him.

18 years ago today (July 9th, 1995), The Grateful Dead played their final show. It was in Chicago @ Soldier Field, and it was their 2,318th show.
One of my biggest regrets was going home after the 1st night. I was done with the whole thing. I had amazing Mail order status from ordering for everyone for about 7 years and had finally gotten dream seats. I had hit the spring in Atlanta, Omni I think? and then Memphis in that crazy Pyramid and saw a pretty awesome Estimated in to Drums on the 2nd night I think. Then I skipped the East Coast as always - hated that scene and waited for another Deercreek.

Then things when to hell in a handbasket. Deercreek shows were known for being a place where if you didn't have a ticket, just move on to the next place. But there was a whole new generation of kids that showed up that year and they were frigging everywhere. I'd say double the capacity of the venue. And they were out of control. Much similar to the first year after ToG. The details are famous, but Keller Williams somes it up perfectly if you've ever heard him.

I personally think that was the end for Jerry and he came into STL just wrecked. The chaos happened again on the first night but they were ready for them and blocked the gates. 1st night is a pretty solid set, Jerry playing strong and a very good Corrina - maybe my only song from the newest stuff that I liked.

But the camping area's near Riverport weren't. At our very beautiful campsite they had an wooden overlook and it rained hard that night. So many kids didn't even have tents and they broke into the thing and climbed all over it. About 3 in the morning, it came down hard and killed a couple of kids. Sirens and police everywhere.

2nd show was very good as well but the news about the night before had spread.

Then came Chicago...200K in the lot, total anarchy. And then that show, Jerry was completely out of it. If you like the Dead, never listen to that show. Got back to the car and decided that we were done too and we'd see them again in the Fall....

Sorry that was just for me...Miss them...

Phil Lesh says differently about who was behind wanting to continue the tour and do the tour in the first place, and I'm not sure how you can blame carpel tunnel on Jerry's bad play, because it wasn't just messing up on the guitar. He would forget the lyrics to songs, and struggle to sing. He was so messed up that most bands would have fired him.
It's all a matter of conjecture and it's not worth it. It's all somewhat true. Jerry diabetes was a major factor as well. The man was sick. And while Jerry wanted to scale back, all of them knew they had created a monster they couldn't contain. They hit lightning in the bottle. Bob/Phil and Mickey wanted to milk it hard. Bill and Jerry wanted to slow down. None wanted to walk away.

It's all a matter of conjecture and it's not worth it. It's all somewhat true. Jerry diabetes was a major factor as well. The man was sick. And while Jerry wanted to scale back, all of them knew they had created a monster they couldn't contain. They hit lightning in the bottle. Bob/Phil and Mickey wanted to milk it hard. Bill and Jerry wanted to slow down. None wanted to walk away.
They should have rested back in 1984/1986 time frame...Jerry was a real mess back then and I saw him lose it on stage during a day show at Red Rocks - he just walked off - ironically during Spoonful. Then he had the deal back in 1992 I think - the after Washington in summer coma - I saw the first shows back here in Denver just 5 months later - they should have walked away for a year there - getting him help. But no ... they "had" to crank up the money machine.

Not sure how much of Phil I'd listen too - guy has watched a crap load of guys dope it up and die and he just keeps pushing on...even today with Bob. Hell they are back on tour as Further almost as if Bob skinned his knee.

Time has shown that about half of what comes out of Phil is bull####. See the "easily equal to the power of the Grateful Dead" line about that horror show that was his band with Warren Haynes and Herring. "Jerry loved the drugs more than the music." Etc.

They should have rested back in 1984/1986 time frame...Jerry was a real mess back then and I saw him lose it on stage during a day show at Red Rocks - he just walked off - ironically during Spoonful. Then he had the deal back in 1992 I think - the after Washington in summer coma - I saw the first shows back here in Denver just 5 months later - they should have walked away for a year there - getting him help. But no ... they "had" to crank up the money machine.

Not sure how much of Phil I'd listen too - guy has watched a crap load of guys dope it up and die and he just keeps pushing on...even today with Bob. Hell they are back on tour as Further almost as if Bob skinned his knee.
Saw those Denver shows too. Was kind of weirded out by the quick recovery. And he WAS for a year or so. But a full year of break to change habits might have been much better.

18 years ago today (July 9th, 1995), The Grateful Dead played their final show. It was in Chicago @ Soldier Field, and it was their 2,318th show.
One of my biggest regrets was going home after the 1st night. I was done with the whole thing. I had amazing Mail order status from ordering for everyone for about 7 years and had finally gotten dream seats. I had hit the spring in Atlanta, Omni I think? and then Memphis in that crazy Pyramid and saw a pretty awesome Estimated in to Drums on the 2nd night I think. Then I skipped the East Coast as always - hated that scene and waited for another Deercreek.

Then things when to hell in a handbasket. Deercreek shows were known for being a place where if you didn't have a ticket, just move on to the next place. But there was a whole new generation of kids that showed up that year and they were frigging everywhere. I'd say double the capacity of the venue. And they were out of control. Much similar to the first year after ToG. The details are famous, but Keller Williams somes it up perfectly if you've ever heard him.

I personally think that was the end for Jerry and he came into STL just wrecked. The chaos happened again on the first night but they were ready for them and blocked the gates. 1st night is a pretty solid set, Jerry playing strong and a very good Corrina - maybe my only song from the newest stuff that I liked.

But the camping area's near Riverport weren't. At our very beautiful campsite they had an wooden overlook and it rained hard that night. So many kids didn't even have tents and they broke into the thing and climbed all over it. About 3 in the morning, it came down hard and killed a couple of kids. Sirens and police everywhere.

2nd show was very good as well but the news about the night before had spread.

Then came Chicago...200K in the lot, total anarchy. And then that show, Jerry was completely out of it. If you like the Dead, never listen to that show. Got back to the car and decided that we were done too and we'd see them again in the Fall....

Sorry that was just for me...Miss them...
My last show was '95 in Charlotte. It was in March and a pretty good show, especially compared to what would take place in the summer. Some of what made it good was Bruce Hornsby's energy, and his excellent improvising on jams, and that seemed to keep Jerry in the moment. Jerry did fumble through the lyrics on Scarlet>Fire, but he made up for it with his guitar playing on the tunes. They closed the show with The Weight. I love that song. I wish Jerry had taken a load off. Anyway, back in the 80s, I loved the pre-concert atmosphere outside the venues. It was so much fun. That crop of new generation fans started bringing a dark cloud over that good vibes atmosphere. I don't know if some were even fans. They were trouble.

Very touching "So Many Roads" from that last show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFyRQPraJ8

The rest of the show is horrible.
I have read a couple books on the Dead and the ones that reference the later years all pretty much acknowledge that the band was done. They knew it but just couldnt figure out how to end it. Jerry at the end was just pathetic and couldnt keep it together.
Dude, I love the dead. I listen to them basically every day but you have to take off your blinders if you think the crappy ### play of the last few tours of the dead was because of a jellyfish and not heroin. Say that out loud to yourself. Jerry was a junkie, the band all knew it and they couldnt figure a way out. They indeed created an empire and employed a bunch of people but after 30 years tensions were running high in the band. There are a ton of books out there that document that. Dude Jerry was playing the entire wrong chords and notes and singing the wrong lyrics on a ton of songs at the end. Listen to a 94 show and then a 77 show and you can easily tell the difference.

Say what to myself out loud? That carpel tunnel makes playing the guitar excruciatingly painful? I play guitar, I know how hard it gets when your fingers hurt, never mind your entire wrist feeling cramped. I also used to be a heroin user and I can assure you that Jerry would not still be upright on stage for hours at a stretch if he was so nodded that he couldn't play a correct chord. He managed to play high for all those years prior to '94. By all accounts I've read, he was only on a maintenance dosage on summer tour. I think even he is on record somewhere saying that. Just enough to keep from getting sick. He had carpel tunnel and he was rapidly dying. His arteries were clogged. He was fat, never exercised, had diabetes, smoked four packs of filterless cigarettes a day, snorted/smoked enough cocaine to support a South American economy, etc. His blood was not flowing. The dope played a marginal role, if any at all.

ETA: I saw the first show back he did with the JGB on Halloween in Oakland after the '92 collapse but before the GD return. I never saw him happier. Smiling, talking, bouncing around. And he was on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been listening to the Sept. '90 MSG run today. 6 shows in 7 days at the Garden from the 14th thru the 20th. All 6 are wonderful but for me the 19th and 20th are the best. Finally found the 20th on etree with seeders :pickle: Happy to replace my old cassettes!

Been listening to the Sept. '90 MSG run today. 6 shows in 7 days at the Garden from the 14th thru the 20th. All 6 are wonderful but for me the 19th and 20th are the best. Finally found the 20th on etree with seeders :pickle: Happy to replace my old cassettes!
Great run. A China>Rider for the ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxOfAxg4ks
So many highlights, but I'm partial to the post-drums on the 20th (Dark Star>Playin' rep>Dark Star) and the 25 min 2nd set Let It Grow on the 19th. Good stuff.

The thing about the dead and their shows, no matter how crappy a stretch they were playing there was always a minimum of 2 songs in every show that just just melted your mind.

Anyone ever see Further? They're in town in a few months. Good show?
I like Furthur and see them whenever they come to Chicago, which hasn't been too often lately. Going to see them in Vegas in October, my first ever Furthur road trip. They don't come around the midwest as much as they play the coasts so I'm going to them this year. I was lucky enough to see the Grateful Dead about 60 times with Jerry in my youth so it is always bittersweet to hear his songs without him, but the music lives on with Bob and Phil and those guys aren't going to be around that long so worth checking them out if you dig Dead music. I've seen about every post Jerry line-up; The Other Ones, The Dead, and Furthur. Even though no Mickey and Bill, I dig Furthur. Opinions differ, but I think replacement Jerry does a good job "sounding" like Jerry. I enjoy Furthur more that Phil solo, and way more than Bob's Rat Dog.

There are a lot of live shows from various performers posted on this site with artist permission. There's a wealth of Dead concerts.

http://bt.etree.org
:thumbup: Absolutely and its important to note that the artists on etree are very trader friendly. Here's a couple others I use frequently as well. Actually I use the Trader's Den daily :wub: Etree, Traders Den and Dime are all similar in that they only allow trade-friendly bands and have pretty strict rules regarding lineage in their upload policy. Dead, Zeppelin, Floyd, Zappa, Rush, Steely Dan...

For anyone not familiar with downloading live shows, you have to have a bittorent client (obviously) and some software to convert the raw files (traders little helper works nice) - flac & shn format. mp3 and other lossy formats aren't allowed.

Traders Den

Dimeadozen

May have already asked this, but what do folks think of Dark Star Orchestra? Thinking of seeing them next week.

May have already asked this, but what do folks think of Dark Star Orchestra? Thinking of seeing them next week.
Used to see them every time they came to DC. Haven't seen them since "Jerry" aka John Kadlecik left to start his own thing.

Saw them with JK before he left for Furthur. They were tight, but it was weird in a not very enjoyable way. Creepy. I think if you never saw good Grateful Dead you'll probably enjoy it. If you did, it might feel icky. But that's based on them with JK playing Jerry. No idea who is doing it now.

I'm not sure if it has been posted in this thread but there is a free Grateful Dead Radio channel that can be accessed on the Tunein radio app.

Users who are viewing this thread