Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The N.C. State Thread

This thread is for discussion of N.C. State. I assume it will mostly be focused on State's football and basketball programs, but it certainly can include other related topics.

A couple months ago I posted in some thread that I was the only State fan in the thread and got several responses by other State fans. So there are at least a handful of us. And maybe some ACC fans will chime in once in a while. Or maybe it will be a long running conversation with myself. We'll see. :no:

It would be great if others didn't come in to just dump on the thread and say things like who cares about N.C. State. :thumbup:

State fans, please check in.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was inspired to create this thread when I made this post recently:

Florida State should not be ranked.

why?
[snip]...And aside from all that, I expect N.C. State to win the ACC Atlantic division. :thumbup:

Followed by this:

you really think NCS will improve enough from a 6-7 record to win the Atlantic :thumbup:

Yes. I posted a lot of the rationale previously in threads on Andre Brown.

Tom O'Brien took over the program before the 2007 season. It quickly became apparent that the team had a big problem with talent and depth at certain positions, notably including QB and OL. A couple things on that:

41% Attrition Rate from 2005 & 2006 Recruiting Classes

By: Daily Update Sep 9, 2008

NC State's football program is depleted of depth and currently undergoing a major rebuilding project...

The program O'Brien inherited from Chuck Amato in December 2006 was on shaky numerical ground. Of the 41 players State signed in 2005 and 2006, 17 are already gone. That 41 percent attrition rate far exceeds the personnel losses sustained by the other three ACC programs that changed administrations at the same time. (North Carolina's is at 18 percent; Miami has lost nine of 37 players from those classes or 24 percent; and Boston College, which O'Brien left to come to Raleigh, has seen six of 35 signees or 17 percent head elsewhere.)

Related to this, I emailed the following to a friend in mid October 2008, having compiled the data from various sources:

State's 2004 recruiting class had 18 commitments. This is the current redshirt senior class. 11 of these players played out or are playing out their eligibility and one other went pro early.

State's 2005 recruiting class had 22 commitments. This is the current senior/redshirt junior class. 12 of these players are currently playing out their eligibility.

State's 2006 recruiting class had 20 commitments. This is the current junior/redshirt sophomore class. 10 of these players are currently playing out their eligibility, and one other is currently on academic suspension and could return in the future.

Those were Amato's last 3 recruiting classes. I don't know how this compares to other programs, but I have to believe this is not normal - that is a 3 year stretch from which at best less than 60% of the recruits can possibly play out their eligibilty. That is why our team was so awful when O'Brien took over and why he is still rebuilding.

More about offensive problems entering last season:

2008 N.C. State Football Preview

Last year North Carolina State had one of the worst rushing offenses in the nation and one of the worst rushing defenses. Fixing the running game on both sides of the ball is a major priority for Coach Tom O'Brien...

However, it was not the running backs fault that the team could not run last year. It was the offensive line. The line does return Curtis Crouch and Julian Williams, but that does not mean too much. In an effort to at least bolster the depth of the o-line, John Bedics and Ted Larsen will move over from the defensive line, but the unit will have to make drastic improvements if the team's best strength at running back is going to be utilized.

2008 N.C. State Football Preview

Despite having three good runners, yards will probably be hard to come by. NC State has major weaknesses at pretty much every other position on offense. Their quarterbacks aren't good, the offensive line isn't particularly talented, and they lost both of their starting wide receivers from last year's team.

O'Brien's schemes on both offense and defense were different, and it took the 2007 team a while to adjust, going 1-5 to start the season but finishing 4-2. This provided some basis for optimism.

Then in 2008, State lost ~70 games to injury for starting players. Injuries are part of the game, but that is abnormally high. Especially for a team with depth and inexperience problems. In mid September, the team was down to 46 scholarship players, not including kickers, and had 14 freshmen in its two deep depth chart. (LINK)

In 2007, State's QBs combined for a 14/24 TD/Int ratio; they were really bad. Entering 2008, redshirt freshman Russell Wilson was named the starter and highly touted freshman Mike Glennon (Scout #5 QB, Rivals #3 QB) was set to redshirt. No one but the coaching staff and guys on the team had a clue about Wilson... fans assumed Glennon was redshirting to give time to build a better offense around him. Well, Wilson was named 1st team All ACC QB. So from 2007 to now State went from possibly the worst QBs in the conference to the best QBs in the conference.

Last season, Wilson played in 9 full games, and the team was 5-4 in those games. The team was 1-3 in the other games, with the only win coming over William & Mary. He got knocked out near the end of the first quarter of the opener with a concussion, with the game tied 0-0; State lost 34-0. He got knocked out with a sprained knee just before halftime of State's bowl game with State leading 17-6; State lost 29-23. In the 9.75 games he played, State scored 255 points - 26.2 per game. In the other 3.25 games, State scored 50 points - 15.4 per game - but that is including 34 points against William & Mary... And Wilson put up this performance despite the injury, depth, and talent issues cited above.

As pointed out in the link I posted earlier, State finished only 1 game behind the Atlantic division winner last season. And State finished strong, winning its last 4 regular season games when it had to have all 4 to be bowl-eligible. It's not like there is a BCS title contender in the division.

This year, O'Brien's first recruits will be juniors or redshirt sophomores. Of course, that was the class that he had to scramble to get when he took the job in December 2006. The real bonus is getting his second class talent into the two deep chart as sophomores and redshirt freshmen. O'Brien has the reputation of being a good recruiter and being able to get the most out of the talent he gets. I think that would have been more evident last season if not for the extraordinary number of injuries. It should really start to show this year. There is a reason why O'Brien had such success at BC (10 seasons there, with a winning record for his last 8 seasons there and bowl wins in his last 7), despite BC being known as a very tough place to recruit.

:thumbup:

Favorite all-time NC State basketball player, excluding David Thompson?For me it's a toss up between Terry Gannon and Vinny Del Negro.

I was a big fan of T.A. McClendon.Chris Washburn is up there too. After all, he's amphibious. Actually, it might've been Shackleford that said that. I can't remember. I get my genius NCSU guys mixed up.

My favorite N.C. State web site: StateFansNation

Also good: WolfpackWire

Good sites, but I prefer www.packpride.com

On the football side of things I'm excited about the upcoming. The schedule seems to setup nicely for a good run, especially payback win to open the season against the gamecocks. Barring injuries and assuming the defense can gel, I think going into the FSU game on Halloween 7-0 is quite possible.

I'm impressed with Lowe's recruiting class, especially the late addition of Painter, but I still wonder about his ability to make the guys better.

Favorite all-time NC State basketball player, excluding David Thompson?For me it's a toss up between Terry Gannon and Vinny Del Negro.

Del Negro is a good candidate. He led the team to the ACC Tournament title in 1987 when I was a freshman. But I'd probably take Rodney Monroe, Tom Gugliotta, or Chucky Brown, all of whom played when I was in school.

Favorite all-time NC State basketball player, excluding David Thompson?

For me it's a toss up between Terry Gannon and Vinny Del Negro.

Del Negro is a good candidate. He led the team to the ACC Tournament title in 1987 when I was a freshman. But I'd probably take Rodney Monroe, Tom Gugliotta, or Chucky Brown, all of whom played when I was in school.
That's a painful memory. UNC was absolutely stacked that year and hadn't won the ACC since 1982, and Del Negro's baseline jumper did them in at the last second. Foreshadowed Keith Smart's jumper in the national title game that same year (against Syracuse, who beat UNC in the round of sixteen).

I was a big fan of T.A. McClendon.

T.A. was a good RB, but he was made of glass. He was hurt more than he played. I'm excited about this coming football season. I think O'Brien is building something special with the program. He had a crazy amount of injuries to key players during the first part of the season last year, but the team really showed what they can achieve during the middle part of the season when their players started getting healthy. QB Russell Wilson is fun to watch, although I hold my breath every time he runs the ball in fear he will get hurt like he did in the bowl game. It's good to know the backup has a lot of talent too. I hope Tony Baker makes it through a season or even one game this year. That kid has had some bad luck with injuries.

When are NCSU fans going to start demanding Fowler do the job he's being paid to do? I understand that it's not completely his fault, but the responsibility has to stop somewhere. I like the steps the football program is making, there is no question it's improving. With that improvement, the others are sure to follow, but look at the state of things from the last decade. There are two....maybe three programs (men/womens golf, and cross country) that are competing nationally and representing consistantly and representing well. It seems that NCSU went into this state of complacency after Jimmy V died and haven't come close to coming out of it.

Is it just me?

This reminded me of this post earlier in the year on my All Time N.C. State Team:

All N.C. State team:PG - Corchiani, ToweSG - Monroe, WhittenbergSF - Thompson, HodgePF - Bailey, GugliottaC - Burleson, ShavlikNot bad. :hifive:

I considered Del Negro, but he was a JC transfer, so hard to put him above any of the guards I listed, who all played 4 years. Plus, Towe and Whittenburg won NCAA championships, Corchiani graduated as the NCAA all time assists leader, and Monroe graduated as the #3 scorer in ACC history.And one of my favorites is Gugliotta, who as a senior led the ACC in rebounds and three pointers - quite a double - and led State to two wins over UNC among just three conference wins. :excited:

When are NCSU fans going to start demanding Fowler do the job he's being paid to do? I understand that it's not completely his fault, but the responsibility has to stop somewhere. I like the steps the football program is making, there is no question it's improving. With that improvement, the others are sure to follow, but look at the state of things from the last decade. There are two....maybe three programs (men/womens golf, and cross country) that are competing nationally and representing consistantly and representing well. It seems that NCSU went into this state of complacency after Jimmy V died and haven't come close to coming out of it.Is it just me?

Fowler should have been replaced long ago. He is doing a terrible job IMO.Kudos to N.C. State's cross country, track, wrestling, and diving teams for their success. And to the rest of the university teams for competing at their best and representing the university well.However, consider the latest Director's Cup standings (as of April 9):(2) UNC-CH(9) Florida State(13) Virginia(17) Maryland(19) Duke(33) Wake Forest(44) Virginia Tech(48) Miami(50) Boston College(64) Clemson(73) Georgia Tech(78) NC StateYep, that's N.C. State last among ACC teams in the standings. Now consider N.C. State's performances throughout Fowler's tenure:2008-09 - #782007-08 - #562006-07 - #442005-06 - #342004-05 - #512003-04 - #392002-03 - #432001-02 - #462000-01 - #56Note the declining trend - this is the third straight year N.C. State has dropped. This despite superlative fundraising and continual improvement in facilities.O'Brien is doing great. But by all accounts, Fowler didn't even want to fire Amato, he was forced to do it with a "you or him" kind of ultimatum... and then O'Brien contacted Fowler to indicate his interest, not the other way around. Then when it was time to find a new men's basketball coach, he completely botched the search. No disrespect to Lowe, but, frankly, I doubt Lowe would even have been considered for any other major college program (yes, I still consider State a major college basketball program). I mean, now that we have Lowe, of course I hope he succeeds. But that doesn't change the fact that the search was terribly handled and downright embarassing to the school.Lee Fowler is a poor AD IMO and he has been at N.C. State long enough. Winning isn't everything, but it should certainly matter, and N.C. State has not performed well enough in that area during Fowler's tenure to justify him continuing in his role.But there is hope. N.C. State Provost Larry Nielsen and Chairman of the Board of Trustees McQueen Campbell both resigned within the past few days, and Chancellor James Oblinger is under fire, all as a result of the 2005 hiring of Mary Easley, wife of the former governor of NC (who was governor at the time of her hiring). Who knows why it has taken from 2005 until now for this to happen, but I'm hopeful that one of the results of the shakeup will be to get in place an administration that will demand better results from the athletic department.

Fowler should have been replaced long ago. He is doing a terrible job IMO.

Glad it's not just me...I was beginning to wonder. Being here in the hotbed of ACC country he's rarely ever brought up. Everyone seems to focus on the coaches etc. IMO, the coaches aren't the problem. They might be pieces, but not to the degree a lot of people think.

Another recent N.C. State post:

6' 9" DeShawn Painter committed to the Wolfpack today. He had originally signed with Florida.

Awesome! :lmao:

From StateFansNation:

The recruitment of the one of the top remaining post prospects in country ended on Wednesday when Deshawn Painter chose NC State over Maryland after eliminating Virginia Tech from consideration earlier in the week.

Painter, of Chatham (Va.) Hargrave Military Academy, is a very athletic, ‘lengthy’ 6′9 power forward who has a well rounded game that includes the ability to rebound and block shots. After originally committing to Billy Donovan at the University of Florida, DeShawn ultimately changed his mind and re-opened his recruitment.

He is ranked as one of the Top 75 high school players in the country; Scout has given him four stars and Rivals has given him three stars. ESPNU ranks Painter #19 on their list of top power forwards in the country, achieving “score” of 92 as NC State’s other post commit - Richard Howell. Howell is ranked #20 on ESPNU’s list.

Projected 2009-2010 NC State Basketball Roster

Senior Class

(1) Dennis Horner (F)

(2) Farnold Degand (PG)

Junior Class

(3) Javi Gonzalez (PG)

(4) Tracy Smith (4F)

Sophomore Class

(5) Johnny Thomas (Wing)

(6) Julius Mays (PG/SG)

(7) CJ Williams (Wing)

Freshman Class

(8) Scott Wood (Wing)

(9) Lorenzo Brown (PG/SG)

(10) Richard Howell (PF)

(11) Josh Davis (WF)

(12) Jordan Vandenberg ©

(13) DeShawn Painter (PF/C)

2010 Commits

(1) Departure of Dennis Horner - Ryan Harrow (PG)

(2) Departure of Farnold Degand - Previously CJ Leslie (PF/C)

2011 Commits

(3) Departure of Javi Gonzalez

(4) Departure of Tracy Smith

I read that Painter had offers from Florida, Louisville, Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Maryland in addition to State. I would think adding him will make State's freshman class a top 20 class, maybe top 15. And for next year's class, currently Harrow is a top 25 player and Leslie is a top 50 player. Leslie had given a verbal but reopened his recruitment and was supposedly leaning towards Memphis before Calipari left, so we can't count on him.

But that's a nice infusion of talent this year and next year, assuming we add another player with Harrow. The only real negative I can see here is that our available scholarships will be limited the next couple of years. For example, if Wall did choose State, it is unclear how they would open up a scholarship for him. Still, it's a good problem to have at this point.

:wolf:

N.C. State's basketball recruiting class this year ranked #11.

So, do you think if this team doesn't do anything the next year or so they will get rid of Lowe?
Nope. There just will be more excuses. Plus with Fowler at the helm he will be inclined to give him a extension. From what I have seen Lowe is just not a good coach. Too scatterbrained. Everyone says he is a good recruiter but I have the theory that pretty much anybody can recruit at a major university with good fan support. There are a ton of good bball players out there and only a handful of scholarships to go around.

So, do you think if this team doesn't do anything the next year or so they will get rid of Lowe?
It depends. Fowler isn't likely to move to fire him of his own volition. And others in university leadership haven't seemed to care about success on the court. So I suspect the answer will be dictated by the big donors. If and when they lose patience is when Lowe would be fired. What would it take for that to happen? Hard to say if two more seasons out of the NCAA tournament would do it.

All that said, I've said before that I don't really think it will do a lot of good to fire Lowe if Fowler is still there and will be hiring his replacement. He botched the last coaching search really badly.

Personally, I think they should fire Fowler yesterday. And I'd give Lowe two more seasons, a total of five, before passing judgement (assuming no major off court issues, like NCAA violations, etc.)... that would be a reasonable period for a new AD to use to assess Lowe's performance.

It depends. Fowler isn't likely to move to fire him of his own volition. And others in university leadership haven't seemed to care about success on the court. So I suspect the answer will be dictated by the big donors. If and when they lose patience is when Lowe would be fired. What would it take for that to happen? Hard to say if two more seasons out of the NCAA tournament would do it.

All that said, I've said before that I don't really think it will do a lot of good to fire Lowe if Fowler is still there and will be hiring his replacement. He botched the last coaching search really badly.

Personally, I think they should fire Fowler yesterday. And I'd give Lowe two more seasons, a total of five, before passing judgement (assuming no major off court issues, like NCAA violations, etc.)... that would be a reasonable period for a new AD to use to assess Lowe's performance.

Lowe seems like a pretty likeable coach. I don't know how the players have liked him though. I thought Costner was really going to be a force in ACC play after his freshman year, but he really hasn't met expectations. It's a shame too, because you can see the potential in him, so I don't know if that's Lowe's fault/Costner/combination of both. If they ever do get rid of Lowe, who would be the guy NCSU would go after? Would they stay within the Wolfpack family or look outside?

Based on previous results there is no way that Lowe deserves 5 years. He has shown nothing that he is a competent coach. The only 3 games I remember him winning was in the ACC tourney in his first year. He looks so clueless during games and his substitution patterns leave you scratching your head. The chemistry on his teams are always horrible so I just dont see him being successful in the ACC.

Lowe seems like a pretty likeable coach. I don't know how the players have liked him though. I thought Costner was really going to be a force in ACC play after his freshman year, but he really hasn't met expectations. It's a shame too, because you can see the potential in him, so I don't know if that's Lowe's fault/Costner/combination of both.

I'm not aware of any dissension between Lowe and his players. Hard to explain Costner's inability to regain the form he showed in his first year. I'm sure Lowe is partly responsible, but I put most of it on Costner.I really think Lowe has been dealing with a talent problem in his three years at State thus far. How many players on State's team would have started for the NCAA tournament teams in the league during his tenure? Not many. He only had 6 scholarship players in his first season... and three recruits who had committed bailed due to the transition. (Dan Werner starts for Florida, Chris Wright starts for Georgetown, and Larry Davis started at Seton Hall before transferring.) And Hickson was one and done in Lowe's second class. And it's also worth noting that Lowe had never coached in college and thus had no existing recruiting relationships, so he is having to build those relationships. All of that has held down the talent level on the team in his first three years.I think this incoming recruiting class along with Harrow next year will improve the talent on the team, and hopefully we will see results improve. In particular, State has struggled at point guard, and Harrow is the guy who will solve that... but not until next year. That's one reason I said I'd give him two more years before passing judgement.

If they ever do get rid of Lowe, who would be the guy NCSU would go after? Would they stay within the Wolfpack family or look outside?

There isn't much of a Wolfpack family to draw from. If Lowe is replaced, presumably the current staff is out. McMillan and Del Negro are good NBA coaches, but they make too much money and presumably wouldn't leave anyway. Sean Miller just took the Arizona job and presumably would not leave that for State. Dereck Whittenburg is a college coach, but some big money donors won't accept him, regardless of whether or not he'd be a good candidate, because of comments he made related to Valvano's firing. No one else really comes to mind.I'd like to think the job would be very attractive - great tradition, top conference, great facilities, passionate fan base, great place to live, etc. - and thus that State could draw a top coach. But I thought that last time, and though supposedly both Barnes and Calipari were very close to accepting, ultimately they passed. So I'm not sure... perhaps if we have a better AD by then, he'll be able to do a better job of drawing in a quality coach. :unsure:

Based on previous results there is no way that Lowe deserves 5 years. He has shown nothing that he is a competent coach. The only 3 games I remember him winning was in the ACC tourney in his first year. He looks so clueless during games and his substitution patterns leave you scratching your head. The chemistry on his teams are always horrible so I just dont see him being successful in the ACC.

IMO, he did a good job in his first season and a poor job in his second and third seasons. I don't think two straight poor seasons is enough to fire him. Especially considering that it was known when he was hired that he'd be learning college coaching on the job, since he had only NBA experience, and he'd be starting at ground zero with respect to recruiting.As for chemistry problems, I disagree that it is "always horrible." It was bad in Lowe's second year, with the biggest problem being that Grant slept with one of the other players' girlfriends. (I don't remember which other player.) Obviously, that isn't something Lowe can control. And I don't think there were chemistry problems last year or in his first year.

From SFN:

N.C. State is set to open the 2012 football season against Tennessee in Atlanta. UNC is trying to work out a deal to open the 2010 season in the Georgia Dome against an SEC team.The Atlanta Sports Council and ESPN teamed up to organize the Chick-fil-A College Kickoff in 2008, with Alabama beating Clemson in the Georgia Dome.UNC has three possible opponents for 2010 — LSU, Georgia or Ole Miss — but has to get either South Carolina or Rutgers to agree to move its scheduled game from that season.Virginia Tech takes on Alabama in this season’s opener in Atlanta on Sept. 5.

I like this, although this game unfortunately takes the place of the home and home series with Tennessee that had been discussed in recent years.

Nice to see other Pack fans here at the FFA.

Long time fan, father played football there in the Mid 60s, I was born on campus at the old Rex Memorial hospital.

Tough being a Pack fan here in FL, but we (Dad and I) did get to go to the Gator Bowl game vs ND a few years back.

Pop is in GA but still goes to a lot of Games.

• 2 weeks later...

When are NCSU fans going to start demanding Fowler do the job he's being paid to do? I understand that it's not completely his fault, but the responsibility has to stop somewhere. I like the steps the football program is making, there is no question it's improving. With that improvement, the others are sure to follow, but look at the state of things from the last decade. There are two....maybe three programs (men/womens golf, and cross country) that are competing nationally and representing consistantly and representing well. It seems that NCSU went into this state of complacency after Jimmy V died and haven't come close to coming out of it.

Is it just me?

Fowler should have been replaced long ago. He is doing a terrible job IMO.

Kudos to N.C. State's cross country, track, wrestling, and diving teams for their success. And to the rest of the university teams for competing at their best and representing the university well.

However, consider the latest Director's Cup standings (as of April 9):

(2) UNC-CH

(9) Florida State

(13) Virginia

(17) Maryland

(19) Duke

(33) Wake Forest

(44) Virginia Tech

(48) Miami

(50) Boston College

(64) Clemson

(73) Georgia Tech

(78) NC State

Yep, that's N.C. State last among ACC teams in the standings. Now consider N.C. State's performances throughout Fowler's tenure:

2008-09 - #78

2007-08 - #56

2006-07 - #44

2005-06 - #34

2004-05 - #51

2003-04 - #39

2002-03 - #43

2001-02 - #46

2000-01 - #56

Note the declining trend - this is the third straight year N.C. State has dropped. This despite superlative fundraising and continual improvement in facilities.

O'Brien is doing great. But by all accounts, Fowler didn't even want to fire Amato, he was forced to do it with a "you or him" kind of ultimatum... and then O'Brien contacted Fowler to indicate his interest, not the other way around. Then when it was time to find a new men's basketball coach, he completely botched the search. No disrespect to Lowe, but, frankly, I doubt Lowe would even have been considered for any other major college program (yes, I still consider State a major college basketball program). I mean, now that we have Lowe, of course I hope he succeeds. But that doesn't change the fact that the search was terribly handled and downright embarassing to the school.

Lee Fowler is a poor AD IMO and he has been at N.C. State long enough. Winning isn't everything, but it should certainly matter, and N.C. State has not performed well enough in that area during Fowler's tenure to justify him continuing in his role.

But there is hope. N.C. State Provost Larry Nielsen and Chairman of the Board of Trustees McQueen Campbell both resigned within the past few days, and Chancellor James Oblinger is under fire, all as a result of the 2005 hiring of Mary Easley, wife of the former governor of NC (who was governor at the time of her hiring). Who knows why it has taken from 2005 until now for this to happen, but I'm hopeful that one of the results of the shakeup will be to get in place an administration that will demand better results from the athletic department.

Oblinger resigned

Unfortunately, this effectively grants Fowler at least a year without any job scrutiny, and probably two. The interim chancellor and provost won't be looking critically at him, and it's hard to imagine that happening very soon after those positions are filled permanently.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Creecy Commits to Wolfpack

The momentum Coach Tom O’Brien has built behind this year’s recruiting class continues as Tony Creecy - another of the state’s top prospects - has committed to play football at NC State.

Southern Durham wide receiver Tony Creecy has committed to N.C. State, according to NCPreps.com.

The 6-foot, 196-pound Creecy runs a 4.5 forty yard dash, and is considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com. He’s the No. 28 wide receiver in the country, according to the recruiting Web site.

Last season, Creecy caught 48 passes for 863 yards and five touchdowns for the Spartans.

Creecy had 31 other offers including Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida State, LSU, Maryland, North Carolina, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Stanford and Wake Forest.

Creecy is considered the best wide receiver prospect in the state and easily one of North Carolina’s Top 10 players. His commitment builds on a recruiting haul that may end up being one of the best in NC State football history. The Wolfpack currently has six commitments, including another 4-star/5-star commitment from the state’s best player, Robert Crisp. (We recognize that calling any player “the state’s best” is a statement of debate…especially until UNC-CH gets a commitment from anyone near the Top Five and suddenly that player will rocket to the top spot of most rankings.)
:lmao:

I think Tom O'Brien will take State to a conference championship and BCS bowl game within the next few years.

:wolf:

Eff.

And so it begins - Nate Irving Injured in Car Accident

Within hours of the Charlotte/News & Observer going to press with their selection that NC State would win the 2009 ACC Atlantic Division Football Championship, the Wolfpack’s all-conference junior linebacker Nate Irving was injured in a car accident.

Irving was injured on Saturday night and is currently in the Wake Med Trauma Center with non-life threatening injuries; he suffered a broken leg and a collapsed lung and is scheduled to undergo surgery on the leg on Sunday evening.

“Our thoughts and prayers are certainly with Nate and his family,” said head coach Tom O’Brien. “All of his teammates and coaches will be there to support him as he recovers and goes through the process of rehabilitation.”

Irving was an honorable mention All-ACC performer in 2008, despite missing almost a third of the season with injuries. He tied for third on the team with 84 stops.

This morning’s newspapers also selected Irving as one of the ‘3 defensive difference-makers to watch’.

Based on what we have heard, we think it would be impractical to presume that Nate will play football in the 2009 season. Be clear - we are NOT ‘REPORTING’ that Irving will miss the season. We are simply interjecting that, at this point, we would be surprised if Irving played this season.

If Nate were to miss the season then the Wolfpack’s young stable of talented, but inexperienced, linebackers would be asked to produce sooner than previously expected. Don’t forget names like Sterling Lucas, William Beasley, Dwayne Maddox and Terrell Manning. Does anyone out there have an update on John Ware?

Everyone at SFN is praying for what matters most for Nate and his family - his health and recovery.

Saw this yesterday afternoon. And while my first thoughts were "Holy crap, I hope he's ok.", not far behind was "Un####ingbelievable! Why the #### does this always ####### happen to us?". :coffee:

Archived