What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't call it a comeback (1 Viewer)

Shooter McGavin

Down the middle
http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index...._for_redem.html

Look out HOF, here comes Chuck!

Charles Rogers claims Charles Rogers finally gets it, finally is ready to make the commitment needed to fulfill Charles Rogers' promise as an NFL player.

Rogers, 28, helped former Saginaw High teammate LaMarr Woodley during Saturday's LaMarr Woodley-Clifton Ryan football camp at Saginaw High.

But it was a different Rogers than in the past. He was stronger, more focused. He looked like a football player.

That's the point.

"There's nothing concrete (about the NFL), just speculative," Rogers said. "But if a team gives me a tryout, I know I'm going to be ready. I'm in better shape now than I was before."

According to Rogers, the change in attitude came two months ago, about the same time he finished a month in jail for testing positive for alcohol and for falsifying Alcoholics Anonymous records.

But that, Rogers says, is not the only motivation.

There was the Super Bowl, when he watched Woodley, a former teammate, win a title. There are the comments from detractors and supporters about wasted talent. There was the cursory glance at NFL rosters, a glance that convinced Rogers that he could make a 53-man roster.

If.

It's always if. But maybe, just maybe, this time Rogers is serious.

"Everything I hear from friends is that he's working out all the time," Woodley said. "He's in great shape. He's ready, and I hope he gets his chance.

"Charles Rogers was my motivation. When I was a freshman, I saw everything he was getting as a senior, all the attention, the top recruit ... all that stuff. It made me want that too.

"I told him that if I ever forget to invite him, to come anyway. He's always invited."

And now, Woodley motivates Rogers. But there is more.

"At the end of the day, I can look myself in the mirror ... I probably couldn't do that awhile back," Rogers said. "Maybe it's maturity. As I get older, you think differently, talk differently, see things differently."

Rogers was the Detroit Lions' No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft and, for five games he lived up to the billing, catching 22 passes for 243 yards and three touchdowns. But two collarbone injuries and violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy led to his release from the Lions in 2006.

He had some workouts, but Miami, New England and Tampa Bay passed when Rogers could not come close to the 4.28-second 40 time he ran when he was drafted.

Rogers doesn't know if he has 4.28 time again, but he said he feels stronger and faster than he has since his rookie season.

"I'm still young," Rogers said.

Most of the motivation seems to come from regret.

"I know my next shot might be my last shot," Rogers said. "I know I have to work harder than I ever worked before. I'm willing to do that."

Rogers weighs in at 207 pounds, up from the 195 he weighed as a rookie. But he's not overweight.

"I definitely want to see what Charles Rogers is made of," Rogers said. "I want to see if Charles Rogers can pull this off."

:lmao: :lmao:

Time will tell if Rogers gets the opportunity he wants and if he can take advantage of it. He may never get that chance, and he understands why.

"You're going to stumble, you're going to trip in life," Rogers said. "It's a crazy world. You have to get yourself up, dust yourself off and go at it again.

"I want to see what I'm made of too," Rogers said.

Rogers points to his life prior to two months ago and since. He's a different man and a different athlete. This time, he says, he will be ready if he gets the opportunity.

He's still young, still gifted. And he seems to finally get it.

Whether the light bulb came on too late or even if it is on to stay remains to be seen.
On a serious note, I'd love to see him get his crap together and fulfill some of the promise he had at MSU and early in his career with the Lions, but it's hard to believe a guy who has screwed up so many times.

Call me crazy, but I'm leary of anyone that refers to himself in the third person. And that's not even considering the rest of his dossier. Carzier things have happened before (but not many of them).

Call me crazy, but I'm leary of anyone that refers to himself in the third person. And that's not even considering the rest of his dossier. Carzier things have happened before (but not many of them).
Mr. Yudkin, I think you would be remiss if you did not mention to most famous athlete to refer to himself in third person - Rickey Henderson!Rickey Henderson calls on San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

The best part of this news is that now I have that LL Cool J song in my head. Great song.

Charles Rogers and Mike Williams should go on tour together. They can each show up in someone's camp every year, and their fans can all sit around and say, "Hey, if he loses weight and has his head screwed on right........."

I love a good redemption story...best of luck to Chuck, even if the odds are slim to none. Sometimes it takes a very long while for man to mature, maybe it 'aint all PR BS, again, I'm not betting on it.

"I definitely want to see what Charles Rogers is made of," Rogers said. "I want to see if Charles Rogers can pull this off."

:excited: :loco:

Time will tell if Rogers gets the opportunity he wants and if he can take advantage of it. He may never get that chance, and he understands why.

"You're going to stumble, you're going to trip in life," Rogers said. "It's a crazy world. You have to get yourself up, dust yourself off and go at it again.

"I want to see what I'm made of too," Rogers said.
FWIW: I don't think he busted out the 3rd person in that interview - judging by the quote a few lines later, it looks like that first one was probably from Woodley and got misquoted to Rogers.

two_dollars said:
I'll give him a shot in chicago!
Since we are about to lose Brandon Marshall in Denver, we might as well sign Rogers. Why not? They couldn't really screw up this off season any worse.

perry147 said:
What a minute did I read that right?

falsifying Alcoholics Anonymous records.

WTH???
basically means he had someone sign his card or he did rather than actually going to the meetings. I guess the answer to why is because he didn't want to take an hour to go to a meeting

Guys, guys, guys...did you not see where he said he's been recommitted for 2 months?

...But if I'm the Jets, Bears, Bucs or even the Raiders, I'd at least take a look at him to see if he has anything to offer.

Lets see him in action in the new developmental league first and then we can determine if there is anything left.

Users who are viewing this thread