What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlie "Shining Path" Bosworth, RIP (1 Viewer)

scoobygang

Footballguy
There is no easy way to post a thread like this, but we’ve just learned that our friend Charlie “Shining Path” Bosworth passed away at the end of May. It is perhaps a commentary on our own busy lives that many of us who considered Shiny among our best online friends did not notice that he was no longer posting. It is an oversight that we are all sick over.

To the friends he made online, Shiny was a huge part of what made this community special. It’s been a place to argue and to commiserate, but mostly a place to make each other laugh. And for nine years, Shiny, perhaps uniquely, did just that.

A lot of silly things about Shiny have become a part of board lore. Things like his high school era pompadour, his encyclopedic knowledge of Bloom County, or his hysterical contributions to classic threads like The Russian Bride Draft or the old Amoeba Art thread on the yellow board. On the serious side, those of us who really valued learning about science came to rely on his patient, thorough explanations of highly technical concepts.

We will miss those things, but we will mostly miss our friend. Many of us have developed real, brick and mortar friendships over the years. To my knowledge Shiny never met any of us in person. It is an oversight that we are saddened that we will never have a chance to correct. But Shiny was no less special to us for being most immediately recognizable by his purple Tinky Winky avatar. Despite being “only” an online acquaintance, Shiny had helped many of us deal with harrowing personal crises. When family members became sick or when marriages were in trouble -- whenever things seemed bleakest -- Shiny was usually the first to remind us that laughter was the best medicine.

This board encompasses a great diversity of religious and secular beliefs. Shiny has, at times, been a part of the debate concerning those issues. But in this, we hope the community at FBGs can all respond nearly as one. For those of you that believe, we hope you will say a prayer for the Bosworth family. For those that don’t, we ask that you remember Charlie in your way, fondly.

We are going to try to reach out to the Bosworth family and will share with all of you any charity that the family identifies for donations.

Thanks-

Charlie's friends

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the greatest and funniest all-time posters on this board, and that is not hyperbole in any way. Shiny you will be missed.

I still can't believe it. Smart, funny, witty...everything that is GOOD about message boards (and people) is what Shining Path was all about. :sad:

Nobody could smack you down with smarts and make you laugh while doing it like Shiny.

I can't believe how upset I am to read of the passing of someone I had never met, spoken to, or had any personal interaction with. I remember once saying that I wished I could be adopted by shining path and scoobygang. He was by far one of the smartest and funniest people on this board.

No words can express what a huge loss this is for FBG, and so one can only imagine what a loss it is for his family and RL friends. Horribly sorry to hear this, and hope we can express our condolences through charitable contributions as you mention.

Being pretty New here, I certainly did not know him as many of you did. I do remember the telly tubby avatar, and always thought "Shining Path" was an intriguing and uplifting username.

God Bless and Godspeed, Mr Bosworth.

The first thing I think of when mentioning Shiny is that I believe he grew up in western Pennsylvania or northeast Ohio. I remember him being very opinionated about the Amish based on experiences growing up. It made me wonder if he was close enough to actually visit in-person, but he could have since moved away and I never gave it enough thought to act on it. RIP and God bless.

:yes:

Shining Path was one of a kind around these parts. His extensive knowledge of various issues was only surpassed by his humor and gentle grace. He was a funny man. He was an intelligent man. He was a friend to all on this board. Damn. I will miss him very much.

Here's to you Shiny... RIP.

Special thoughts to Charlie's family.

Thank you for the kind words, scooby. Very well said. Please post any details regarding donations to charity for the family.

Anyone know how he died?
http://obits.al.com/obituaries/birmingham/...p;pid=127766796the obit doesn't say.

BOSWORTH, CHARLES A., (BREED), IV died unexpectedly at his Birmingham, AL home Tuesday, May 25, 2009. He was 37. Breed graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania with a degree in the Classics. After college, Breed chose to continue his education and pursue his life-long love of natural science. Breed received a Masters Degree in Biochemistry, and was preparing his defense in pursuit of a PhD in bio-chemical physiology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham at the time of his death. Breed was the grandson of the late Mr. and Mrs. John F. Screen of New Orleans, and he leaves behind his fiancée, Dr. Qlan Li; his mother, Sharon Bosworth of Washington, D.C.; his father and step-mother, Charles A. and Gretchen Bosworth of New Orleans; one sister of New York; two brothers, Graham and Seth of New Orleans; and one niece and nephew. Breed, in addition to his love of science, was an ancient history and World War II buff with an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the Allied Offensive. He was also an enthusiastic sports fan and fantasy football player who enjoyed testing wits over board games and playing golf when he could find the time. He also took great pride in his outside "Stocktonesque" jump shot. Breed was exceedingly intelligent, exceedingly funny and was loved by all who knew him.

This is such terrible news. Shiny you will be missed from the great witty banter to serious discussions on history and the environment.

I will always remember the games of Diplomacy he was involved in a several years ago. Together we were able to pull off a victory in one those games and I will always remember those good times.

RIP Shining Path

Local guy and I never did meet him. Shame because he was a heck of a nice guy.

My prayers to the family.

:(

One of the most intelligent, funny, and patient posters on this board. And also the most beloved.

I can only imagine how much he'll be missed by his family and friends in real life. RIP shiny and thanks for all your good work here.

Wow. That's two great board members this year. Sometimes it's hard to believe that the board goes on without guys like that. Very sad, especially with as young as he was.

Life is fragile friends. I hope that we can all impact people like Shiny did.

I don't think it can be said enough how much grace and patience he had for someone who was intelligent as he was and so absolutely willing to engage anyone in any topic. Extraordinarily cool person. If we all asked ourselves WWSPD before we posted, there would be a lot less pissing around here.

Shining Path is a first ballot HOF FBG. Always enjoyed his topics and posts. I'm just floored at his passing at such a young age. What a tremendous loss to the FFA. But more importantly, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and close friends. WOW...

Users who are viewing this thread