Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style:

16 hours ago, wilked said:

19 hours ago, Johnny Rock said:

In the same vein as the Cole Haan ZeroGrand and Banana Republic casual shoe discussion, I’m going to give the Dr. Marten Boyle Slip-On Loafer in brown grizzly a try for a casual/office shoe. $75. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Boyle-Slip-Loafer/dp/B01LY9ZDFF?th=1&psc=1

oooof

Advice - don't do this

Is it because this is in the “FBG Fashion” thread rather than a “Casual Office Shoe” thread? I’m sorry but I paged through all the loafers on Zappos. I searched other sites. There’s a lot of crap styles out there. I’m not doing a penny loafer or a white soled leather shoe with khaki’s. 

In regard to your AE comments, I have two pairs of Allen Edmonds, bought 100% based on recommendations in FBG threads. I got fitted and sorely (pun intended) wanted them to be the greatest shoe I ever owned and subsequently worth every penny. But they’re just not. My feet hurt from the moment they’re on and putting miles on them at a convention is brutal. I love the style of the AE I chose, but not the execution. 

Just because a shoe costs $300 doesn’t mean it’s inherently superior or a better style. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not familiar with Vuori but like the collection you linked.  Fan of Lulu b/c they can often work for both casual and working out. Some of my shorts date back to 2010 and still hold up. However, someth

From a blog post back in early oughts when every post-collegiate city bro had a striped shirt on.  Shortly thereafter, striped shirts started to die off.   "Look at my button down striped sh

Good question. First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're

My 12 year old is in love with her Birks. Of course, her parents aren't springing for the real thing when she outgrows shoes in 2 months, so they're probably Borkenstacks.  Still... back with a vengeance. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just found out I will be doing some traveling for work the coming year and need a couple new suits.  I have not bought a suit in maybe 5-6 years as I only wear them to wedding and funerals the last decade or so.

I want to get some use out of them and know the skinny suit and short jackets are on the way out after looking at GQ and other men's fashion websites  it looks like the double breasted fuller look is on the way in. I think I want to middle it out. I am 6-1  210 so I can wear almost every brand right off the rack.   44R jacket 34-34 pant. 

I need 2-3 so I don`t want to drop 2K a suit.  Looking for something that looks decent in the 500.00 range for jacket and pant.

1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

I need 2-3 so I don`t want to drop 2K a suit.  Looking for something that looks decent in the 500.00 range for jacket and pant.

J Crew is the best suit made in that price range iMHO...closer to 700.   You cold get the Mens Warehouse cheapies, but it shows.

• Like 1
On 8/29/2018 at 4:45 PM, wilked said:

Just want to clear up a common misconception

You are not getting $150 shoes for $60.  You are getting $60 shoes for $60.  My wife tries using this logic on me all the time.  

Want to know what quality shoes look / feel like, go check out a pair of Allen Edmonds.  You can't get AEs 70% off.  You might ask why?  Because they are not $60 shoes, they are built much better so stores can't sell them for 70% off or they will be out of business.  

BR shoes are fine, not bad, but they are not worth much more than $60, certainly less than $100.  

Take the long view, get good quality shoes, take care of them and they will last a long time.  You'll end up paying the same amount over a 5-10 year period, be more comfortable, and look better

I thought the same thing with Cole Haan but they started turning out crappy shoes at their normal price. 

Would HATE spending $300+ for crappy Allen Edmonds shoes. 

Is there no longer a good casual loafer available?

Edited by Spike
On 8/29/2018 at 6:46 PM, -fish- said:

I've owned two pairs of AE's.   They look and feel great, but both wore out much more quickly than other quality dress shoes I've owned, and getting them resoled essentially ruins their look.  

I have a couple pairs of J Shoes that are similar quality that I've been much happier with.   

“J Shoes”?

4 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Just found out I will be doing some traveling for work the coming year and need a couple new suits.  I have not bought a suit in maybe 5-6 years as I only wear them to wedding and funerals the last decade or so.

I want to get some use out of them and know the skinny suit and short jackets are on the way out after looking at GQ and other men's fashion websites  it looks like the double breasted fuller look is on the way in. I think I want to middle it out. I am 6-1  210 so I can wear almost every brand right off the rack.   44R jacket 34-34 pant. 

If you don't want to comb sales for designer suits which are readily available in that price range, Suit Supply is your best bet.  Good quality for the price and the staff is helpful with fitting advice and proper tailoring. 

17 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I love that fanny packs are back. Fashion execs must laugh their behinds off on a regular basis. Talk about gaslighting.

what I've seen, they're a pretty joyless and creativeless bunch. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, Da Guru said:

I know it's a month later, but I've seen some recommendations around the interwebs for Spier & Mackay. I haven't purchased one, but 100% Super 130s 100% Australian Merino Wool, half canvas, Bemberg lining and faux cuff buttons for tailoring for sub-$400 seems like a great deal.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently I have long dressed like a schlub. Picked up a nice Merino wool sweater and blazer at Goodwill recently (I'm assuming the blazer is a knockoff since a legit Burberry being at Goodwill seems questionable) and wore them to church today. Had about a dozen people comment that I looked good. Guess I should start dressing like an adult Moe often. :lmao:

• Like 2
On 10/25/2018 at 5:50 PM, GroveDiesel said:

I know it's a month later, but I've seen some recommendations around the interwebs for Spier & Mackay. I haven't purchased one, but 100% Super 130s 100% Australian Merino Wool, half canvas, Bemberg lining and faux cuff buttons for tailoring for sub-$400 seems like a great deal.

I can vouch for them. I have a handful of dress shirts and casual shirts too. Big fan of them. I bought a medium grey suit from them earlier this year. Caught it on sale on a deep discount. Probably retail, given the materials and cut, would be at least a 800 bucks. I think I paid under 300 and needed only minimal tailoring. 

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

White sneakers that go with shorts/jeans/etc....whatcha got?  

@offdee

@Major

@StylzG

the big fad for white shoes now seems to be Nike Killshot - https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/shoes/exclusives/nike-for-jcrew-killshot-2-sneakers/85231

10 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

the big fad for white shoes now seems to be Nike Killshot - https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/shoes/exclusives/nike-for-jcrew-killshot-2-sneakers/85231

Meh.  Not crazy about them and looking for all white.

I guess I can't go wrong with the low top white adidas/reebok/nike/etc. ones that all look similiar?  

Those flat shoes tend to kill my feet though.

6 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

I guess I can't go wrong with the low top white adidas/reebok/nike/etc. ones that all look similiar?  

same for me regarding flat shoes.

i don't own these Killshots... or, in fact any white shoes. they show dirt and imperfection way too easily for me. 

do you have a specific need for all white shoes? or just prefer the aesthetic?

Edited by mr. furley
8 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

same for me regarding flat shoes.

i don't own these Killshots... or, in fact any white shoes. they show dirt and imperfection way too easily for me. 

do you have a specific need for all white shoes? or just prefer the aesthetic?

No specific need.  Just walking around....hanging out.  Figured white would go best with multiple things. I'd be wearing them mostly with shorts.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

I like the Sambas and the Stan Smiths way, way better than I like the Nike Killshots, which are back-ordered until July 8th. 

eta* The Stan Smiths are by far my favorite of the lot. Those are dope. I don't care about supply and demand, I want a good-looking shoe.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Huh. Maybe the Cloudfoam lining is the difference? 

Edited by rockaction
1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

Say no more fam:  https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/common_projects/original-achilles-leather-sneakers/903868?

Edited by Major
  • Like 4

Have Allbirds made it here yet?  I was introduced about a year ago from some work guys who travel heavy, and now own 7 pair...DTC only as far as I know at www.allbirds.com.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gump said:

Have Allbirds made it here yet?  I was introduced about a year ago from some work guys who travel heavy, and now own 7 pair...DTC only as far as I know at www.allbirds.com.

I own a pair. Some fashion writer for the New Yorker called them a the "algorithm" of style. It was not a compliment.

I love the Mr. Porters, but $410 dollars for a sneaker is out of my budget. Totally gonna pick me up a pair of all-whites. Looking at about a $100 budget, as I wear birks and slip-ons primarily in the summer. Size 13 shoe for me. Loving so far:

1. Stan Smiths (a little deviation from all-whites on the Kelly Green back and tongue) for $80 + $7 tax
  2. Adidas Advantage (with also a little Kelly Green) at $47 + $8 shipping + $4 tax
  3. Puma Romas at $49 + $5 tax
  4. Vans at $75 + $6 tax
  5. Converse Jack Purcell at $65 + $5 tax
  6. K-Swiss Men's Classic VN Fashion Sneaker at $56.50 total from Amazon.com

Went with K-Swiss Men's. They're returnable. What do you guys think? We shall see. 

Edited by rockaction
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

I love the Mr. Porters, but $410 dollars for a sneaker is out of my budget. Totally gonna pick me up a pair of all-whites. Looking at about a $100 budget, as I wear birks and slip-ons primarily in the summer. Size 13 shoe for me. Loving so far:

1. Stan Smiths (a little deviation from all-whites on the Kelly Green back and tongue) for $80 + $7 tax
  2. Adidas Advantage (with also a little Kelly Green) at $47 + $8 shipping + $4 tax
  3. Puma Romas at $49 + $5 tax
  4. Vans at $75 + $6 tax
  5. Converse Jack Purcell at $65 + $5 tax
  6. K-Swiss Men's Classic VN Fashion Sneaker at $56.50 total from Amazon.com

Went with K-Swiss Men's. They're returnable. What do you guys think? We shall see. 

trash

9 minutes ago, Major said:

trash

Then which of listed or any shoe for around one hundred would you do? I looked at Pharell WIlliams's Nu line, but that was the closest I got to something I wanted in knit. I'm not spending over a hundred and ten total for these.

I also prefer the all-white over a color. The Kelly green, as one publication noted, limits what you can wear it with as it is prominent. I have a ton of preppy shorts that will go with white but not with Kelly green.

Edited by rockaction
2 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Vans white on white classic.

Definitely one that I considered and saw, but I considered them too laid-back and casual. Vans are very California, and I'm still East Coast. Vans also don't fit as well as other shoes do on me, and they're out of stock in my size, though I did indeed find them at PacSun online. 

I'd lean Converse Purcells if I were to go really casual all-white. But, -fish-, thanks for the input and vote. 

16 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Then which of listed or any shoe for around one hundred would you do? I looked at Pharell WIlliams's Nu line, but that was the closest I got to something I wanted in knit. I'm not spending over a hundred and ten total for these.

I also prefer the all-white over a color. The Kelly green, as one publication noted, limits what you can wear it with as it is prominent. I have a ton of preppy shorts that will go with white but not with Kelly green.

If you want to coordinate with the green, then I'd recommend these.  As for price, I can probably hook you up with a friends and family 20% off code.  Just PM me, bro:  https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/gucci/flashtrek-embellished-suede--leather-and-mesh-sneakers/1082980

Edited by Major
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
1 minute ago, Major said:

If you want to coordinate with the green, then I'd recommend these.  As for price, I can probably hook you up with a friends and family 20% code.  Just PM me, bro:  https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/gucci/flashtrek-embellished-suede--leather-and-mesh-sneakers/1082980

Aroo?

Not sure what that is. Did the lead singer from 4 Non-Blondes lose her jewelry collection and somebody saw fit to glue it onto a shoe??

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It's best to ignore major.  His definitions are...off.

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

Aroo?

Not sure what that is. Did the lead singer from 4 Non-Blondes lose her jewelry collection and somebody saw fit to glue it onto a shoe??

As for the Stan Smiths, never been a fan of the green variety.  Plenty of updated versions.  Fan of these suede ones and they're on sale for under a $100:  

https://www.barneys.com/product/adidas-bny-sole-series-3a-men-27s-stan-smith-suede-sneakers-505447898.html

1 minute ago, Major said:

As for the Stan Smiths, never been a fan of the green variety.  Plenty of updated versions.  Fan of these suede ones and they're on sale for under a $100:  

https://www.barneys.com/product/adidas-bny-sole-series-3a-men-27s-stan-smith-suede-sneakers-505447898.html

Those are sweet, man. Those would have been in the basket for sure. Thanks. But I'm a size thirteen, and they're sold out.

1 hour ago, Major said:

Now those are nice.  But my size 14 is sold out.

5 hours ago, Major said:

Aw, man, I'd be all over those but my size 15 is sold out.

Edited by Shrugs
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
17 hours ago, rockaction said:

I own a pair. Some fashion writer for the New Yorker called them a the "algorithm" of style. It was not a compliment.

Meh...I’ve gone thru Vans, Adidas, Converse....Allbirds pull a look off while also being MUCH more comfortable. I’ll never put Vans on again and I worked for the parent company and get them at cost.

32 minutes ago, gump said:

Meh...I’ve gone thru Vans, Adidas, Converse....Allbirds pull a look off while also being MUCH more comfortable. I’ll never put Vans on again and I worked for the parent company and get them at cost.

I don't disagree with you at all. I like the Allbirds look. It was a she, though, and I think she was writing the article from a typical New York fashionista perspective.  I feel the same way you feel about Vans. My family and extended family love them. They're inexpensive, and I won't really wear them. They don't do it for me. 

• Like 1