Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style:


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

That's where I disagree, and I think I got off on this tangent before.  High waist jeans is the current fashion, but good style does not change that much over time (some details yes, but overall, not so much).

Take Carey Grant.  Google image him and see how much a guy could walk down the street dressed like him today and still look good.  That's style.

That's the irony of this thread title.  It is the Fashion thread (which changes with the whims of the masses), but :style: is the subtitle, which is a completely different concept.

I'll totally agree with this. Nice point, well-played, and all that. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not familiar with Vuori but like the collection you linked.  Fan of Lulu b/c they can often work for both casual and working out. Some of my shorts date back to 2010 and still hold up. However, someth

From a blog post back in early oughts when every post-collegiate city bro had a striped shirt on.  Shortly thereafter, striped shirts started to die off.   "Look at my button down striped sh

Good question. First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're

19 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

That's the irony of this thread title.  It is the Fashion thread (which changes with the whims of the masses), but :style: is the subtitle, which is a completely different concept.

style is a way to look.   :style: is a way of life. 

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, offdee said:

style is a way to look.   :style: is a way of life. 

Maybe the hair I should be splitting, I guess, is the difference between personal style and stylish.

Person style can be anything. I can walk around in baggy corduroy carpenter pants and a wife beater and say that my personal style is nouveau trailer park.  Personal style can't be debated as you can assign whatever you want to be your personal style.

Stylish, while not necessary exact, uniform, or universal is though more general and timeless.  A black tux with bow tie, with a slight break at the hem, and a peaked lapel is stylish.  A gray tux with black accents and a hem three inches above your shoe is fashionable, but not stylish.  A royal blue tux with shorts instead of pants and worn with sandals might be someone's personal style, but they aren't fashionable  or stylish.

While a lot of this thread borders on personal style and fashion, I tend to try to stay away from those.  My personal clothes buying habits have lessened, so I try to buy high quality pieces that are stylish.

I make no criticism of people who buy clothes in a different manner, as everyone's individual personal style is their own business.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

nurse's shoes in those hues. color is your friend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

Unless you're trying out for the wrestling team,  I think you can do much better my friend.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i've got a couple pair of Onistuka's. both are pretty old at this point. they are different material.. one is leather and the other is sort of a mesh fabric sort of deal.

caution: they are flat as hell and offer no support whatsoever. walking in them for a period of time can be painful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

So, what's the verdict on leaving the top button undone while wearing a tie? 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

So, what's the verdict on leaving the top button undone while wearing a tie? 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.

I think you're fine most days.  Button it up when you have important meetings or need to make an impression.  I definitely get the comfort thing. I often left the top unbuttoned when I was just in the office and not meeting clients (investment banking).  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I realize this question is a few years old but I'm just into the civilian office scene. 

So, what's the verdict on leaving the top button undone while wearing a tie? 

In my office, there's 7 male attorneys. Two of the senior attorneys always wear a tie. One senior doesn't. Two Junior attorneys wear a tie for every meeting. Two of us only put on a tie for special occasions, usually while briefing the "CEO". 

I hate having my top button buttoned. I'll do it but it's constricting even when the shirt is the right size. But when I left the top button undone Friday, it felt freeing. Looked decent, I could tighten it up or button the top in a pinch, but for most of the day it seemed a good way to go. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, this is a federal agency with a wide variety of dress - full suits, shirt and tie, polo and jeans. The senior leadership more often wear shirt and tie, but not always and not all of them.

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

My take is if you're going to the trouble of wearing a tie, wear it sharp. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

My take is if you're going to the trouble of wearing a tie, wear it sharp. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

 

:goodposting:

Button the top button. If the collar bothers you, get shirts with more room. I never even notice when mine is buttoned. 

If you have a sensory issue and it just doesn't work, forget the tie and go with something else. If you have to dress it up, throw on a blazer or sportcoat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

:goodposting:

Button the top button. If the collar bothers you, get shirts with more room. I never even notice when mine is buttoned. 

If you have a sensory issue and it just doesn't work, forget the tie and go with something else. If you have to dress it up, throw on a blazer or sportcoat. 

That has been my go to the past couple years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

My take is if you're going to the trouble of wearing a tie, wear it sharp. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

 

it's amazing wait a half-size up can do for comfort in situations like this. also, bringing the tie up without it being constricting is essential. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Good question.

First rule of course is you do you. But if you're asking for feedback, my take is tie loosened and top button unbottoned anytime before afternoon looks sloppy. It looks like you're a server at Bennigans have to wear a tie. 

My take is if you're going to the trouble of wearing a tie, wear it sharp. 

I'd also take a look at a bigger collar size. I know some people are more sensitive to stuff like this than others but I have zero uncomfort with the top button buttoned. Good luck. 

 

I agree. The unbuttoned loose tie, sleeves rolled up look is good for a 6:00 martini after work. It’s not good for the 9:00 AM work meeting.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are also now stretch collars for bigger necks if the shirt blouses out in fit when you move up a neck size. Add to that the emergence of skinny fit shirts, and you're likely to get a modern look even up a neck size.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you guys have the wrong impression of a simple top unbutton.  This is really something only you know and can't be noticed by others unless offdee is a coworker and he's perusing the office checking out other dudes.  It doesn't look sloppy like the loose tie, sleeves rolled up schtick.  Your tie is still high and just a tad looser (pretty much covers the button).  

Best advice if your office is business casual is to just wear a sports or suit coat to the office with a dress shirt.   Have a few ties handy just in case you need them for something more formal.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Major said:

I think you guys have the wrong impression of a simple top unbutton.  This is really something only you know and can't be noticed by others unless offdee is a coworker and he's perusing the office checking out other dudes.  It doesn't look sloppy like the loose tie, sleeves rolled up schtick.  Your tie is still high and just a tad looser (pretty much covers the button).  

Best advice if your office is business casual is to just wear a sports or suit coat to the office with a dress shirt.   Have a few ties handy just in case you need them for something more formal.  

I think we get it. I still say if you're going to wear a tie, wear it sharp. And in my opinion that means buttoning the top button of the shirt and having the tie where it's supposed to be, covering the top button. Not just pretty much covering. Actually, what you're hitting on is a pretty big deal. Much of style in my opinion is getting that last 5% right. 

Agreed, a dress shirt with no tie and coat would be a better look. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

I think we get it. I still say if you're going to wear a tie, wear it sharp. And in my opinion that means buttoning the top button of the shirt and having the tie where it's supposed to be, covering the top button. Not just pretty much covering. Actually, what you're hitting on is a pretty big deal. Much of style in my opinion is getting that last 5% right. 

Agreed, a dress shirt with no tie and coat would be a better look. 

Dont check in on this thread too often. Only checked because you were last reply. Not gonna lie the visual i always have of you is a dude with teva sandals and cargo shorts maybe even sunglasses with croakies. 

So i enjoyed reading your top button tight tie post more than most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Dont check in on this thread too often. Only checked because you were last reply. Not gonna lie the visual i always have of you is a dude with teva sandals and cargo shorts maybe even sunglasses with croakies. 

So i enjoyed reading your top button tight tie post more than most.

:sadbanana:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?

What's the goal? Sun protection for your ears? Or just style?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

What's the goal? Sun protection for your ears? Or just style?

This is key. Pretty tough to do both.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

This is key. Pretty tough to do both.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

Hats in general are dangerous territory. Pool hats are even trickier. You can go from zero to full frat brotastic in about 3 seconds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

This is key. Pretty tough to do both.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

Let's say style

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a stylish cap, you just need to elevate your :style:  This sounds like it work well with your outfit and overall profile:

 https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/product/fendi/leather-trimmed-logo-appliqued-printed-coated-canvas-baseball-cap/1092017

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?

a classic perhaps? there is also a summer suit option: are you familiar with the great Kolchak?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

my advice is to 

10 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

What style of hat works for beach/poolside on a 40-year-old, non-athletic type? Figure I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt. Don't want to just throw on the trustworthy baseball cap. The fedora styles have too much baggage. What works nowadays?

You trying to match this look? 

 

https://i1.wp.com/fashionweek.pro/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/998540760.jpg?resize=2888%2C4332

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

This is key. Pretty tough to do both.

I'm not sure it's the right answer, but if you're trying to do both, I think a Panama Jack style hat could work.

After that, probably a step down, but a fun color of a bucket hat may work depending on your style.

I’ve got a bucket hat that my wife and kids HATE but I don’t give a crap because it keeps the sun off my dome, ears and neck.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I’ve got a bucket hat that my wife and kids HATE but I don’t give a crap because it keeps the sun off my dome, ears and neck.

Agreed. Hate is not an uncommon reaction to the bucket hat. That's why I was asking whether it was for style or for sun protection. 

For sun protection, which is a completely good goal, the Stetson bucket is probably the best bet. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rockaction said:

Gotta love the classic Stetson bucket. That's...the Nazz.

I sort of feel like if you roll with a bucket hat then you are required by law to get a subscription to The Daily Racing Form and a parking spot at Santa Anita track.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, saintfool said:

I sort of feel like if you roll with a bucket hat then you are required by law to get a subscription to The Daily Racing Form and a parking spot at Santa Anita track.

is the Van Dyke optional?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, saintfool said:

I sort of feel like if you roll with a bucket hat then you are required by law to get a subscription to The Daily Racing Form and a parking spot at Santa Anita track.

That's best case cool scenario for a bucket hat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure to be incredibly old news for you AvantGardeGuys, but the midtown uniform has gotten ridiurous.  Yet, living in Nothern California where the weather fluctuates significantly, I have appreciated the MU's flexibility.  RIPMU.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-and-off-the-avenue/goldman-sachs-patagonia-and-the-mysteries-of-business-casual

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-midtown-uniform-is-now-in-peril-as-patagonia-isnt-accepting-new-finance-clients-for-its-ubiquitous-fleece-vests-2019-4

https://www.instagram.com/midtownuniform/?hl=en

Reminds me of LAMSS from the early oughts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, -jb- said:

Reminds me of LAMSS from the early oughts.

I am not a fan of the Midtown Uniform. That's for guys in college that wore Patagonia all the time at schools that wanted to be havens for Deadhead investment bankers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I am not a fan of the Midtown Uniform. That's for guys in college that wore Patagonia all the time at schools that wanted to be havens for Deadhead investment bankers. 

My wife bought me a black burberry vest that I wore the #### out of until the patagonia craze.  Have since hung it up.  It's a great weight for around here, but tired.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, -jb- said:

My wife bought me a black burberry vest that I wore the #### out of until the patagonia craze.  Have since hung it up.  It's a great weight for around here, but tired.

 

Pretty sharp vest. Solid A.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Who or what are LAMSS? 

From a blog post back in early oughts when every post-collegiate city bro had a striped shirt on.  Shortly thereafter, striped shirts started to die off.

 

"Look at my button down striped shirt! ####### look at it! This shirt means one thing! I’m coming home with some ##### tonight! That’s right! It’s been a long week at the office and it’s time to blow off a little steam! I am a Junior Vice President! I have business cards that say “Junior Vice President” on them! They’re glossy and magnificent! Here! Have one! Take it!

My boys are coming out with me tonight! They all have striped shirts too! 

I figure we’ll kick off the night with some Golden Tee! I am going to smack the #### out of that little white ball! It’s going to be so ####### loud! I’ll bet I can drive that pretend golf ball 600 ####### yards tonight! I’m that ####### pumped!

I can almost taste those Jager Bombs right now! I ####### love Red Bull! I put it on my ### ####ed cereal! I’m crushing one right now! 

I’m thinking about buying a boat this year! 

I’m gonna fight someone tonight! I pray to God someone makes eye contact with me! I will beat his ###! And God help him if he gets any blood on my striped shirt! If he does, I’ll scrub it out with his #### and some bleach! I mean it!

I’m gonna grind on girls asses tonight! You heard me! When I see a group of girls dancing in a circle, I will select the most attractive one and dry hump her until it hurts! I will rub my #### against her so that she can feel my throbbing ####!

I will valet tonight!

I will treat the valet with contempt and make sure that he knows that I am superior to him in life! I will tell him to “Take it easy on the brakes, Champ”!

I will talk to people I don’t know about my job tonight! They will all know that I am an important man! I will call female bartenders “Babe” and male bartenders “Chief”! 

When I do not hook up with a girl at that club, I will say that the place is “full of skanks”! We will wait in a long line to go to another bar only to strike out again! 

I will give up and decide to order a gyro off of a street vendor! I will make fun of him to my friends for being foreign! I will look ridiculous purchasing my gyro because people will be able to tell by my striped shirt and tinted sunglasses that I struck out and am settling for a gyro! 

I will make one last attempt to hook up by trying to coax two big girls who are also ordering gyros to coming back to my place for “after hours”! When they say no I will make fun of them for being fat! I will leave!

When I get home I will go to the bathroom and hold the straight razor to my wrist again! I will gently drag the razor laterally against my vein, making sure not to actually cut myself!

I will then go to my room and pass out! I will need some shut eye so that I’ll be ready to ####### party again tomorrow!"

Edited by -jb-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, -jb- said:

From a blog post back in early oughts when every post-collegiate city bro had a striped shirt on.  Shortly thereafter, striped shirts started to die off.

I am so glad I missed this element of city life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, -jb- said:

Sure to be incredibly old news for you AvantGardeGuys, but the midtown uniform has gotten ridiurous.  Yet, living in Nothern California where the weather fluctuates significantly, I have appreciated the MU's flexibility.  RIPMU.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-and-off-the-avenue/goldman-sachs-patagonia-and-the-mysteries-of-business-casual

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-midtown-uniform-is-now-in-peril-as-patagonia-isnt-accepting-new-finance-clients-for-its-ubiquitous-fleece-vests-2019-4

https://www.instagram.com/midtownuniform/?hl=en

Reminds me of LAMSS from the early oughts.

 

Haha.  I've always hated those f'n vests even when I worked on Wall St.  And jb, nothing wrong with the vest you posted.  I think that still gets a pass.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...