What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pawn Stars on History Channel (2 Viewers)

I'd love to watch a live feed of all the crazies coming in at 3AM
After hours they just have a walk-up window with like a foot of bulletproof glass, and IIRC, they only do cash-for-gold.Some really desperate degenerates at that time of night, I'm sure.

I wanted to punch that broad with the Faberge broach last night. Apparently she just watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles. What a stupid #####.
What a #####... Hey I want 2000, well how about 15000 :kicksrock:Would you do 17000 - whore
Anyone who would pay $50 for a cab would certainly pay $75 .
[whore]If a man is willing to pay $15,000, certainly he would be willing to pay $17,000.[/whore]I hope she gets molested by a Yeti.

I love this show, and have watched every episode.

What I would love to see them do now, is show when somebody comes in to purchase something that the store bought on TV, and how much they do get for stuff.

I wonder if Rick sold the restored Shelby?

What I would love to see them do now, is show when somebody comes in to purchase something that the store bought on TV, and how much they do get for stuff.
IIRC, Rick sold the combo pistol/jail key to the appraiser. Guy appraised it for about $200-300, Rick bought it for $100, later in the episode the appraiser was back in the store and he bought it for $150.

I love this show, and have watched every episode.What I would love to see them do now, is show when somebody comes in to purchase something that the store bought on TV, and how much they do get for stuff.I wonder if Rick sold the restored Shelby?
I would like to see that as well.

Love this show and I also love the guys in it. They are just a funny group to watch and it's entertaining. Rick because he is such as smart ### and talks with his hands like an animated puppet all the time. The Old Man because he pretty much sleeps all day long and only wakes up to rip on everyone else or tell a customer "NO!" Chumly is just clueless and always gets nominated for every stupid and dangerous task imaginable. I can't believe how much cool stuff come through that place. I often wonder if it has always been that way or people go there with such cool crap because they know they will be on TV. I've been to pawn shops before and none of the ones I've been to have remotely the amount of just cool ####. I think the guys are pretty fair in their negotiations and all in all I don't think they are ever trying to rip anyone off. Sometimes they take someone for a ride but there have also been times when they have been taken as well. I love it that they always call in experts and I think it really goes a long way in cementing their reputation. How the hell do they know so many experts anyway? The experts consistently have great info and incite on the items at hand.
A lot of it setup beforehand. They know someone is coming in with a certain item. The History Channel producers feed them historical background on the object that they can regurgitate in front of the cameras. The experts are rarely called in in real life. Remember its an entertainment show.

great show but they need to tone down the setup jokes

and it is obvious they are getting fed the historical info

Rick was on Letterman tonight. Nothing too interesting. Letterman seemed like a genuine fan of the show. Rick said that his store always got a lot of interesting historical items in, and that it didn't just start with the show. He said other pawn shops have lists of what to take and when people brought historical stuff in, they don't know what to do with it so they send the people over to Rick's place. He said he loans out about $5 million a year. Oh, and he said there aren't many pawns on the show because most of the people needing to pawn stuff don't want to be shown on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this show and I also love the guys in it. They are just a funny group to watch and it's entertaining. Rick because he is such as smart ### and talks with his hands like an animated puppet all the time. The Old Man because he pretty much sleeps all day long and only wakes up to rip on everyone else or tell a customer "NO!" Chumly is just clueless and always gets nominated for every stupid and dangerous task imaginable. I can't believe how much cool stuff come through that place. I often wonder if it has always been that way or people go there with such cool crap because they know they will be on TV. I've been to pawn shops before and none of the ones I've been to have remotely the amount of just cool ####. I think the guys are pretty fair in their negotiations and all in all I don't think they are ever trying to rip anyone off. Sometimes they take someone for a ride but there have also been times when they have been taken as well. I love it that they always call in experts and I think it really goes a long way in cementing their reputation. How the hell do they know so many experts anyway? The experts consistently have great info and incite on the items at hand.
A lot of it setup beforehand. They know someone is coming in with a certain item. The History Channel producers feed them historical background on the object that they can regurgitate in front of the cameras. The experts are rarely called in in real life. Remember its an entertainment show.
How do the experts get paid? In some cases, it's worth it to them to build up their rep so they can do more "consulting" work but at least guy works for a museum.

Anybody watching Hardcore Pawn? Brutal.
Absolutely horrendous......
:confused: unless you like to see people selling their gold teeth.
I watched the first episode (and only the first episode). I distinctly remember them taking a dig at the Pawn Stars by saying something like, "we don't consult any experts to determine value. Here we are the experts." Is that because the only thing people can bring in for pawn in Detroit is old hubcaps and other assorted items found along the side of the road?

:goodposting: unless you like to see people selling their gold teeth.
I watched the first episode (and only the first episode). I distinctly remember them taking a dig at the Pawn Stars by saying something like, "we don't consult any experts to determine value. Here we are the experts." Is that because the only thing people can bring in for pawn in Detroit is old hubcaps and other assorted items found along the side of the road?
Saw some episode last, where some lady was trying to sell some jewelry.The dad, was asking how much she wanted, she said, what can you offer, he said how much do you want.This went on a few times, and she said she would just go elsewhere.He made a comment about people not knowing what they want for their stuff, came off real dooshy.

:goodposting: unless you like to see people selling their gold teeth.
Saw some episode last, where some lady was trying to sell some jewelry.The dad, was asking how much she wanted, she said, what can you offer, he said how much do you want.This went on a few times, and she said she would just go elsewhere.He made a comment about people not knowing what they want for their stuff, came off real dooshy.
They did buy a guys alligator though.

johnnycakes said:
comfortably numb said:
HERBERT THE HIPPO said:
St. Louis Bob said:
:kicksrock: unless you like to see people selling their gold teeth.
You mean like when he makes a deal and then re-negs on it?What a dbag.

On Letterman, Rick did say that the experts they use are all guys they used before the show. He said when you're in his business, you have to know experts.

:unsure: unless you like to see people selling their gold teeth.
You mean like when he makes a deal and then re-negs on it?What a dbag.
:no: If you're going to run a shop like that, the offer that comes out of your mouth should be the final one.

Been catching up on this on Netflix. It amazes me that there are morons who think Rick will buy stuff because they say it belonged to a celebrity, but they have no proof. :unsure:

Been catching up on this on Netflix. It amazes me that there are morons who think Rick will buy stuff because they say it belonged to a celebrity, but they have no proof. :rolleyes:
No kidding. I liked the guy with the Indiana Jones whip that claimed Harrison Ford used it in the movie. I think he bought it off some stunt man who claimed that to him. The guy walked in all cocky and wanted 30K for the thing and by the time it was done, Rick didn't even want to make an offer on it b/c the expert said it was an extra whip that was never used in the movie.

Been catching up on this on Netflix. It amazes me that there are morons who think Rick will buy stuff because they say it belonged to a celebrity, but they have no proof. :confused:
No kidding. I liked the guy with the Indiana Jones whip that claimed Harrison Ford used it in the movie. I think he bought it off some stunt man who claimed that to him. The guy walked in all cocky and wanted 30K for the thing and by the time it was done, Rick didn't even want to make an offer on it b/c the expert said it was an extra whip that was never used in the movie.
I think there was one that was like: "This is a guitar that my uncle played at some restaurant and some famous celebrity was there and he heard it..." that one got me :lmao: . Rick was just ;)

:thumbup: @ Chumlee flying a $75 kite into a pole.
Like a pawn shop is going to send two guys out to buy a $75 kite which they "accidently" fly into a pole.....
Exactly. And they make the kid out to be a doofus when I heard that the kid does the majority of the buying on the show but he's not very photogenic so they keep showing his dad and the old man. Way too staged for me, but I can watch it. That being said, it's one of the few shows I can watch with my wife. She fully admits that the only shows she enjoys are trashtastic. Real Housewives of wherever, Hoarders, intervention, teenager and pregnant or something, secret life of teens or something, etc. I'll take the overly staged Pawn Stars and the Pickers over this dreck.

I love this show, and have watched every episode.What I would love to see them do now, is show when somebody comes in to purchase something that the store bought on TV, and how much they do get for stuff.I wonder if Rick sold the restored Shelby?
This is what bugs me about American Pickers. They say they "picked" it at say $100, and say it's "worth" $2000. BS. Don't tell me what it's "worth." Tell me what someone paid for it.

Neither Pawn Stars nor American Pickers can hold my interest. How many old guns and rusty bicycles can you possibly watch get brought in or discovered before you get your fill?

And they make the kid out to be a doofus when I heard that the kid does the majority of the buying on the show but he's not very photogenic so they keep showing his dad and the old man.
To be fair, a lot of what they deal with is probably the nickel & dime stuff, plus gold/jewelry and Gen-X collectibles, so that's his wheelhouse... nothing more than a couple hundred dollars, or, something with intrinsic precious metal value... stuff that he can't screw up too bad. Does Rick do more of the high-value, rarer items? Would make sense they don't need to call in the boss if it's just everyday stuff.

:football: unless you like to see people selling their gold teeth.
Holy ####. This is a legit show? I thought it was a joke... As for the experts, I'm guessing they charged an appraisal fee before the show and now they do it to have their name and company put on screen as experts in the field... I'd be willing to bet they bring in experts way more now than they ever did before... That and the History channel wants to add the historical aspect to it and somehow place them above the typical reality TV moneygrab networks...

Neither Pawn Stars nor American Pickers can hold my interest. How many old guns and rusty bicycles can you possibly watch get brought in or discovered before you get your fill?
Pickers I can understand this sentiment but there are a lot of unique, interesting stuff on Pawn Stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to the Pawn Stars on Fox and Friends. Rick shows off the Faberge spider broach and another piece of Faberge that he bought from the same women. I didn't see where the other piece was mentioned on the show, did any of you, I thought the women only had 1 piece of Faberge? I guess they really do alot of editing and scripting, the show is a cross between reality TV and a sitcom. Regardless, I still really like the show.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4331835/pawn-st...aylist_id=86871

Here is a link to the Pawn Stars on Fox and Friends. Rick shows off the Faberge spider broach and another piece of Faberge that he bought from the same women. I didn't see where the other piece was mentioned on the show, did any of you, I thought the women only had 1 piece of Faberge? I guess they really do alot of editing and scripting, the show is a cross between reality TV and a sitcom. Regardless, I still really like the show.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4331835/pawn-st...aylist_id=86871
They only showed one. Perhaps, after she got $15k for that one, she later brought in another Faberge piece her mom gave her.

I was amazed the woman with the Faberge spider sold it right there. If a guy told me he's giving me 10x what I expected because he has a conscience, I'm going to get it appraised and see if his offer isn't a lowball. Just tell him I'll be back in a couple of days and I'll sell it to you for $15K if that turns out to be a good offer.

Also, what are people doing trying to sell items for more than $10K in a pawn shop. Some of the stuff on there should really be at auction.

I was amazed the woman with the Faberge spider sold it right there. If a guy told me he's giving me 10x what I expected because he has a conscience, I'm going to get it appraised and see if his offer isn't a lowball. Just tell him I'll be back in a couple of days and I'll sell it to you for $15K if that turns out to be a good offer.Also, what are people doing trying to sell items for more than $10K in a pawn shop. Some of the stuff on there should really be at auction.
A lot of people don't want to go through the hassle of an auction, they just want cash.

I was amazed the woman with the Faberge spider sold it right there. If a guy told me he's giving me 10x what I expected because he has a conscience, I'm going to get it appraised and see if his offer isn't a lowball. Just tell him I'll be back in a couple of days and I'll sell it to you for $15K if that turns out to be a good offer.Also, what are people doing trying to sell items for more than $10K in a pawn shop. Some of the stuff on there should really be at auction.
A lot of people don't want to go through the hassle of an auction, they just want cash.
exactly. If you're going to a pawn store.....you need cash pretty damn quick.

exactly. If you're going to a pawn store.....you need cash pretty damn quick.
Not only that but you have to pay fees and commissions and most importantly TAXES.

I was talking to my cousin that owns a coin/jewelry store last night about this show. He buys almost anything collectible too and he told me a couple of stories.

1. This old lady died who was horder and the kids found a tacklebox of gold coins in the garage and sent him a letter asking if he was interested in buying them. The letter was a copy so he figured it went to a bunch of people. He sent a couple of his guys to check it out and they wrote down a checklist with a grade next to each coin. Except instead of a grade, they wrote things like "wow" & "really wow". He was prepared to bid $140k but really wanted them since they were in such good condition so he bid 170k. He got the coins and found out that nobody else bothered to respond to the letter so he was bidding against himself.

2. I told him about the broad with the Faberge broach and he had a similar story. This guy comes in with some old coins and he wanted a grand for them. My cousin told him about a grading service and that they would probably really increase the value of them. The guy reluctantly agreed to have them graded and they came back with a value of $5500. My couisin offered him $4500 for the coins that he was just going to sell him for $1000 a couple of weeks earlier. The guy came back with "give me $4700". He shook his head and stuck to and bought them for $4500. A week later the same guy came in his shop and bought $850k worth of gold bullion. :mellow:

Pawn Queens 286 on DTV. Im 30 seconds in, nice tight shirts, and within 1 minutes they dont have $3000 to pay a customer. :IN!!!!:

Users who are viewing this thread