Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Middle-aged fat guy to begin Jiu-Jitsu training

Taking my first class tomorrow. T&P needed. Pretty sure I'm going to hit cardiac arrest in my 3rd or 4th minute in.

Anyone here train in JJ/BJJ ? If I decide to keep up with it I will keep this thread updated with my mishaps and hospital visits. Keep in mind that it's very likely that I'll give up immediately and revert to drinking and being lazy.

If I die, Tufnel can have my iPod; and Mr Furley gets the keys to my Finless alias.

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder

I am thinking about signing up for a class as well.What are the costs associated with this?

they guy I work with who is a regular at this gym is grandfathered in at a price lower than what they offer now....he said he thought it would be ~$120 a month for 3 classes / week.

I am thinking about signing up for a class as well.What are the costs associated with this?

they guy I work with who is a regular at this gym is grandfathered in at a price lower than what they offer now....he said he thought it would be ~$120 a month for 3 classes / week.
That's a good price. I have a friend that started BJJ 2 weeks ago and already learned basic sweeps, the kimura and americana.You should go to your local mall and challenge people at the food court to fights. <_<

That's a good price. I have a friend that started BJJ 2 weeks ago and already learned basic sweeps, the kimura and americana.You should go to your local mall and challenge people at the food court to fights. :thumbup:
I already own the mall. once I get some skills, those teenagers at the movie theatre are in serious trouble.

I already own the mall. once I get some skills, those teenagers at the movie theatre are in serious trouble.

:thumbup: I've dominated the senior center down the street just by subscribing to Submissions 101 on youtube.

Most places grandfather you in when you join and costs are usually in the neighborhood of $80 to $130/mo.

Learn to tap quick. It's alot of fun. At first I had alot of bruises from people gripping my arms, and elbows would get sore. It passes.

I've already tapped 4 times and I haven't been within 800 yards of the gym yet.

Stretch. Lots. Before you get to class, even.

And practice running, if you haven't lately.

I recently started a Tae Kwan Do class, and 'walked off under my own power' about 2/3 of the way through the first class with a broken toe. From tripping on the mat while trying to run for the first time in 10 years..... :goodposting:

Most places grandfather you in when you join and costs are usually in the neighborhood of $80 to $130/mo.
Awesome.

:cry:nooooooooooooo ### #### it don't you die on me you fat wonderful bastard.

:lmao:

Hang in there. I've been doing BJJ and Muay Thai kickboxing for about 3 months. Just turned 35. I'm sore and exhausted after every class (do 2 hours back to back) and have fun counting bruises all over my body. Drink LOTS of water.

I'm 36 and have VERY suspect cardio.

I studied Goshen and kodokan JuJitsu for several years. Keep in mind that much of the training involves joint manipulation, so your joints are going to be sore. It's been more than ten years since I stopped and I still have joint issues in my shoulders, knees and wrists.

That said, it's a lot of fun. If you go in knowing and understanding that you'll be sore and you will bleed eventually, and you're ok with that, it should be a great experience.

Good luck.

You're paying to be gay.

your mom pays to be gay. ZING!!1111!!!11

When you're on the ground locked in a sweaty embrace with a strange man, remember the fact that you paid for this. :goodposting:
yeah, you said that already.

Remember that according to the FBG Authenticity Standards you're not really learning BJJ unless it is being taught by the corpse of Hélio Gracie.

the guy who runs this school has a black belt from Renzo Gracie. It'll have to do. :D

Remember that according to the FBG Authenticity Standards you're not really learning BJJ unless it is being taught by the corpse of Hélio Gracie.

the guy who runs this school has a black belt from Renzo Gracie. It'll have to do. :shrug:
:rolleyes: Might as well call Olive Garden 'authentic Italian food'.

the guy who runs this school has a black belt from Renzo Gracie. It'll have to do. :shrug:
:rolleyes: Might as well call Olive Garden 'authentic Italian food'.
When you're there, you're family, Tanner. BTFU

I studied Goshen and kodokan JuJitsu for several years. Keep in mind that much of the training involves joint manipulation, so your joints are going to be sore. It's been more than ten years since I stopped and I still have joint issues in my shoulders, knees and wrists.

That said, it's a lot of fun. If you go in knowing and understanding that you'll be sore and you will bleed eventually, and you're ok with that, it should be a great experience.

Good luck.

This is good advice. Make sure you warm up and stretch A LOT before the sessions. If the instructor doesn't have stretching as part of the warm up I would be worried, but I have never seen anyone do that. With the proper preparations you shouldn't risk any permanent injuries, but you will be very sore and you will experience pain in parts of your body you didn't think would hurt that bad.

For a beginner there should be minimal joint manipulation though. Most likely, but depending on style, you would not practice hyper extension of hand joints, fingers or shoulder during your first couple of sessions. It's more important that you learn how to fall properly, and that's most likely going to be a big focus, along with simpler techniques for getting out of strangulations and blocking of punches.

Even if the first couple of sessions might be tough and even boring, hang in there. It will get a lot more fun and you'll learn a lot in just 3 months.