What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housing While Black (1 Viewer)

I’m thinking about making a documentary film about racial profiling, and I’m in talks with PBS about that.
Already negotiationg a way to profit from all of this? Need anything else be said here abut this racebaiting tool's motives?
are people really getting rich off PBS documentaries?
You can't imagine a scenario where he profits greatly from this, apart from whatever he gets paid by PBS?
no, I really can't. based on the info I've heard and the responses in this thread, I think he'd probably be better off letting this issue drop. I don't see how this incident will make him boatloads of money.

Here's another humorous nugget from Gates:

As a college professor, I want to make this a teaching experience. I am going to devote my considerable resources, intellectual and otherwise, to making sure this doesn’t happen again. I’m thinking about making a documentary film about racial profiling, and I’m in talks with PBS about that.
I agree that this is a good teachable moment. The lesson is that you should stop and think for a second before instantly playing the race card. Somehow I don't think that's the lesson Gates is taking from this, though. I'm also not sure what this has to do with racial profiling. Somebody called the police to report a break-in. The responding officer has an obligation to investigate, even if the home in question happens to belong to a black person. (I'm pretty sure black people deserve to have their property protected just as well as mine). The responding officer didn't target just the first black guy he happened to encounter; he questioned the black guy who was actually milling around in the broken-into house that he was sent to investigate. This episode is sort of the opposite of racial profiling. It's actually a case of a police officer investing a reported crime in progress and questioning the person who clearly the most likely to be the culprit. Note that Gates was the culprit -- he just hadn't done anything wrong because it's legal to break into your own house.

It's sort of amazing that someone of Gates's considerable resources, intellectual and otherwise, hasn't stopped to reflect on that yet.
After Gates is done with his song and dance I'm betting Obama is going to regret linking himself to this on national TV.
:lmao:

I think it's pretty obvious from all accounts, including the cops', that what Gates did was not criminally disorderly conduct. He wasn't inciting a riot. He wasn't fighting or physically threatening anybody, or engaging in violent or tumultuous behavior, or creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition. There was no way that charge was ever going to hold up, and the cops knew it when they made the arrest.
In that case, anyone who is arrested is definitely guilty because police should only arrest guilty folks and folks in which the charge leveled against them will stick. Please just stop.
You are seriously objecting to my suggestion that officers should arrest only people who may have done something illegal?

no, I really can't. based on the info I've heard and the responses in this thread, I think he'd probably be better off letting this issue drop. I don't see how this incident will make him boatloads of money.
Gates raises his public profile and can demand more money for speaking engagements, book deals, etc. I think you're being intentionally obtuse.

Oh, I'm not talking about reality - I'm talking about his deluded motivations. In the long run this will cost him money.

I think you're being intentionally obtuse.
not at all.sure, now he's more famous so I'll grant you that. but, his image isn't exactly getting a big boost here...and I firmly believe that making PBS documentaries on racial profiling is not a straight path to inevitable profits, especially if he focuses the film on this incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, how many people have to break into their own homes in the middle of the night, anyhow?
:confused: he got home at noon.
OK, from what I had heard on the radio I had understood it to be night time. The newspaper reports confirm it to be daytime. Still, from what I have heard of what he said to the cop, all I know is I wouldn't have dared mouth off like that... a white guy probably would have gotten beaten up instead of arrested, maybe. Of course, they really don't dare do that to a black guy.

You mean Duke, of course. A lot of my Black friends DO believe something bad happened in that case. What outraged them was the rush by many whites, mostly conservatives, to come to the side of the defense of the Lacrosse players before there was any information.
Before there's any evidence of criminal wrongdoing, it's appropriate to give people the benefit of the doubt, IMO.That case was great because you had the law-and-order types suddenly concerned about the rights of the accused, and you had a lot of people on the left suddenly wanting to do away with the presumption of innocence. It exposed an awful lot of hypocrisy on both sides.

I think it's pretty obvious from all accounts, including the cops', that what Gates did was not criminally disorderly conduct. He wasn't inciting a riot. He wasn't fighting or physically threatening anybody, or engaging in violent or tumultuous behavior, or creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition. There was no way that charge was ever going to hold up, and the cops knew it when they made the arrest.
In that case, anyone who is arrested is definitely guilty because police should only arrest guilty folks and folks in which the charge leveled against them will stick. Please just stop.
You are seriously objecting to my suggestion that officers should arrest only people who may have done something illegal?
No. I am objecting to your suggestion that the police had zero grounds to arrest Gates when in fact, they clearly did. An individual can be arrested by the police when the police make a determination based on their knowledge of the law that the individual in question has broken the law. In most cases, it isn't always black and white (no pun intended) and it subject to interpretation. Just because one is arrested does not mean they are guilty. It means that they were engaged in an act that could be interpreted to be illegal (and thus the basis for our legal system). Just because the charges were dropped does not mean that Gates was engaged in something that warranted an arrest at that moment in time. Gates was belligerent to the police from the moment they showed up. For you to argue that any other way is ludicrous.

not at all.sure, now he's more famous so I'll grant you that. but, his image isn't exactly getting a big boost here...and I firmly believe that making PBS documentaries on racial profiling is not a straight path to inevitable profits, especially if he focuses the film on this incident.
:confused:The longer he can stay in the news the higher his speaking engagement fees will go, and I guarantee that they went up because of this incident.

I agree that the best action would have been to just let it go and leave. Obviously the Crowley could have let this one go and walked away. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Gates wasn't technically being disorderly.
It seems like a pretty subjective standard and this would certainly be on the lower end of the scale, but I think that Gates very possibly acted "with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm." But you'd have to ask the large group of bystanders that had gathered I guess to see if they felt annoyed or alarmed. I'd probably be somewhat alarmed if someone came out of their house screaming at the police about them being racists and what not.ETA: Gates also screamed "do you know who I am, you are going to pay for this" at Crowley. Seems like a threat to me.
Screaming "you are going to pay for this" is not a physical threat. The statute is interpreted to mean, essentially, inciting a riot. There's just no way to make that stick against a kooky old man yelling non-violent stuff from his front porch.

No. I am objecting to your suggestion that the police had zero grounds to arrest Gates when in fact, they clearly did. An individual can be arrested by the police when the police make a determination based on their knowledge of the law that the individual in question has broken the law. In most cases, it isn't always black and white (no pun intended) and it subject to interpretation. Just because one is arrested does not mean they are guilty. It means that they were engaged in an act that could be interpreted to be illegal (and thus the basis for our legal system). Just because the charges were dropped does not mean that Gates was engaged in something that warranted an arrest at that moment in time. Gates was belligerent to the police from the moment they showed up. For you to argue that any other way is ludicrous.
Being belligerent is not illegal.I'm not saying that he's factually innocent of disorderly conduct because the chargers were dropped. I'm saying he's factually innocent because he didn't do anything that even arguably amounted to criminal conduct under MA law. (Which is why the charges were dropped.)

:goodposting:The longer he can stay in the news the higher his speaking engagement fees will go, and I guarantee that they went up because of this incident.
do you think his actions here were primarily motivated by profit?

This article by a very prominent African American intellectual illustrates what I was referring to earlier:

What Do You Call a Black Man with a Ph.D.?

The Skip Gates arrest shows how little some features of the national racial landscape have changed over time.

By Lawrence Bobo

Ain’t nothing post-racial about the United States of America.

I say this because my best friend, a well-known, middle-aged, affluent, black man, was arrested on his own front porch after showing his identification to a white police officer who was responding to a burglary call. Though the officer quickly determined that my friend was the rightful resident of the house and knew by then that there was no burglary in progress, he decided to place my friend in handcuffs, put him in the back of a police cruiser and have him fingerprinted and fully “processed,” at our local police station.

This did not happen at night. It happened in the middle of the day. It did not happen to a previously unknown urban black male. It happened to internationally known, 58-year-old Henry Louis “Skip” Gates Jr. I am writing about this event because it is an outrage, because I want others to know that it is an outrage, and because, even now, I have not fully processed the meaning of it.

Here’s what I understand to have happened: The officer in my friend’s case was really motivated by a simmering cauldron of anger that my friend had not immediately complied with his initial command to step out of the house. In hindsight, that was the right thing to do since I think my friend could have been physically injured by this police officer (if not worse) had he, in fact, stepped out of his home before showing his ID. Black Americans recall all too well that Amadou Diallo reached for his identification in a public space when confronted by police and, 42 gun shots later, became the textbook case of deadly race-infected police bias.

Skip is one of the most readily recognized black men in America and the most broadly influential black scholar of this generation. And yes, in the liberal, politically correct cocoon of “the people’s Republic of Cambridge,” a famous, wealthy and important black man was arrested on his front porch. The ultimate charge? “Disorderly conduct.” Whatever that means.

Even before the charge were dropped Tuesday, I knew in my bones that this officer was wrong. I knew in my bones that this situation was about the level of deference from a black male that a white cop expects. I say this even though I did not see the events themselves unfold. What I do know with certainty is that the officer, even by his own written report, understood that he was dealing with a lawful resident of the house when he made the arrest. That same report makes it clear that at the time of the arrest, the officer was no longer concerned about the report of a “burglary in progress” involving “two black males.” No, by this point we’re talking about something else entirely.

Maybe this “situation” had something to do with Harvard University and social class. It is possible that one element of what happened here involved a policeman with working-class roots who faced an opportunity to “level the playing field” with a famous and successful Harvard professor. But even if class mattered, it did so mostly because of how, in this situation, it was bound up with race.

Imagine the scenario. An influential man, in his own home, is ordered to step outside by a policeman. Naturally and without disrespect he asks “Why?” or perhaps “Who are you?” The officer says words to the effect, “I’m responding to a burglary report. Step outside now!”

To which, our confident man, in his own home, says, “No. This is my house. I live here. I work for the university, and the university manages this property.” The response prompts the officer to demand identification. “Fine,” our resident says, and he pulls out two forms of identification from his wallet.

The officer now knows with high certainty that he is dealing with the legitimate resident of the home. Does he ask, “Is everything alright, sir? We had a report of a burglary.” No, he does not. Does he say, “I’m sorry, sir, if I frightened you before. We had a report of a burglary, and all they said was ‘two black men at this address.’ You can understand my concern when I first got to the house?”

No, he didn’t do that either. He also could have disengaged by walking away. But no, he didn’t do that either.

This officer continued to insist that my friend step outside. By now, it is clear to my friend that the officer has, well, “an attitude problem.” So, as I suspect would happen with any influential, successful person, in their own home, who has provided authoritative identification to a policeman would do in this situation: My friend says, “I want your name and badge number.” The cop says nothing sensible in response but continues to wait at the door.

The request for the officer’s name and badge number is pressed again. No response. Social scientists have plenty of hard data showing that African Americans, across the social-class spectrum, are deeply distrustful of the police. The best research suggests that this perception has substantial roots in direct personal encounters with police that individuals felt were discriminatory or motivated by racism. But this perception of bias also rests on a shared collective knowledge of a history of discriminatory treatment of blacks by police and of social policies with built-in forms of racial bias (i.e., stiffer sentences for use of crack versus powder cocaine).

In the age of Obama, however, with all the talk of post-racial comity, you might have thought what happened to Skip Gates was an impossibility. Even the deepest race cynic—picture comedian Dave Chappelle as “Conspiracy Brother” from the movie Undercover Brother—couldn’t predict such an event. But, I will say that when I moved into the same affluent area as Gates, I wondered whether someone might mistakenly report me, a black man, for breaking into my own house in a largely white neighborhood and what I would have to do to prove that the house actually belonged to me if the police showed up at the door.

I remember joking with my wife that maybe I should keep a copy of the mortgage papers and deed in the front foyer, just in case. I do now. And it is no longer a joke.

There is no way to completely erase and undo what has been done. And there is, indeed, a larger lesson here about the problem of racial bias and misuse of discretion by police that still, all too often, works against blacks, especially poor blacks. If Skip Gates can be arrested on his front porch and end up in handcuffs in a police cruiser then, sadly, there, but for the grace of God, goes every other black man in America. That is one sad statement, and it should also be enough to end all this post-racial hogwash.

Maybe events will prove my cynicism and anger unwarranted. Perhaps the officer involved will be fully held to account for his actions. Perhaps Gates will hear the apology he so richly deserves to hear. Perhaps a review of training, policy and practice by police in my fair city and many others will take place and move us closer to a day of bias-free policing. If you’re inclined to believe all that will happen, then I’ve got a shiny, new, post-racial narrative I’d be happy to sell.

Lawrence Bobo is the W.E.B. Du Bois Professor of the Social Sciences at Harvard University.

I agree that the best action would have been to just let it go and leave. Obviously the Crowley could have let this one go and walked away. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Gates wasn't technically being disorderly.
It seems like a pretty subjective standard and this would certainly be on the lower end of the scale, but I think that Gates very possibly acted "with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm." But you'd have to ask the large group of bystanders that had gathered I guess to see if they felt annoyed or alarmed. I'd probably be somewhat alarmed if someone came out of their house screaming at the police about them being racists and what not.ETA: Gates also screamed "do you know who I am, you are going to pay for this" at Crowley. Seems like a threat to me.
Screaming "you are going to pay for this" is not a physical threat. The statute is interpreted to mean, essentially, inciting a riot. There's just no way to make that stick against a kooky old man yelling non-violent stuff from his front porch.
Gates may have realized it would not look good if he was no cooperating and started to grandstand to draw the attention away from himself.Anyway..this whole situation is overblown. This is just a very minor incident and a moment of confusion for all involved. Basically..a non-story.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Buckychudd said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
Buckychudd said:
:goodposting:The longer he can stay in the news the higher his speaking engagement fees will go, and I guarantee that they went up because of this incident.
do you think his actions here were primarily motivated by profit?
No. But he's got an opportunity now, especially after the president's speech last night....I'll be surprised if he doesn't ride it.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Having read up on him now I see his profession is being black and advocating to white guilt that it should continue. He advocates that whites must understand african americans in terms of their african cultural roots affected by slavery and institutional racism rather than the euro-centric culture of their oppressive ancestors while simultaneously maintaining that whites will never really be able to do so. I dig that. He states judge us by our standards though you can never do so, and therefore should be guilty for the crimes that your fathers may or may not have committed depending on their social class, though I will impute to you the sins nonetheless.The guy is Ward Churchill but unlike Professor Churchill has a slightly better rap and is actually of the ethnicity that he purports to be.This guy is part of the problem.
You couldn’t be more off on your assessment of Gates. I suggest you read some of his books or watch a show he has made before reaching these false conclusions.

Maurile Tremblay said:
GroveDiesel said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
GroveDiesel said:
Whether the charge would stick or not (it was dropped anyway, right?) is irrelevant and it's a far cry from what this has turned into.Making a wrong call on a borderline decision about whether or not this was really disorderly conduct is one thing. That happens and is not a big deal.That's not what this is about though. He's being called a racist and this is being used as evidence of racial profiling. There is absolutely no reason to think this could possibly be the case.Maybe the arrest shouldn't have happened, but it was certainly borderline and it sounds like the cop was respectful in making the arrest. Probably happens quite often when someone's verbally abusive and uncooperative with a cop.Making this into a race issue is just crazy.

Fennis said:
All of a sudden, there was a policeman on my porch. And I thought, ‘This is strange.’ So I went over to the front porch still holding the phone, and I said ‘Officer, can I help you?’ And he said, ‘Would you step outside onto the porch.’ And the way he said it, I knew he wasn’t canvassing for the police benevolent association. All the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and I realized that I was in danger. And I said to him no, out of instinct. I said, ‘No, I will not.’
Really? I had to break into my own house once and I swear to god the first thought I had was I wonder if the cops are going to show up?

I understand that with the jet lag and irritability of not being able to get into the house that he may not have thought about it, but as soon as the cops show up wouldn't it trigger in your head that oh yeah I guess that did look suspicious.
When I lived in Detroit cars were getting broken into on our street..I was in my garage at midnight when two Detroit cops walked up my driveway...all they said to me was "Put you hands in the air and walk out of the garage slowly..I complied..then they put me against the car in my driveway and asked what I was doing in the garage at midnight. I said I live here. They then made me pull out my wallet and show ID...I complied again. They then sorry "Sorry for the trouble sir..but we had a string of break-ins tonight on your street and were not sure if you were attempting another......have a good night. Both cops were black. Did I think they were racist?? No..I thought they were doing there job.
Just curious, what if the exact experience happened to your kids, how would you feel? What if it happened to your kids multiple times in a year? What if it happened to a sizable percentage of your childrens friends as well?
Anyone else take a crack? I'm genuinely curious.

timschochet said:
This article by a very prominent African American intellectual illustrates what I was referring to earlier:

The Skip Gates arrest shows how little some features of the national racial landscape have changed over time.

By Lawrence Bobo

I say this because my best friend, a well-known, middle-aged, affluent, black man, was arrested on his own front porch after showing his identification to a white police officer who was responding to a burglary call. Though the officer quickly determined that my friend was the rightful resident of the house and knew by then that there was no burglary in progress, he decided to place my friend in handcuffs, put him in the back of a police cruiser and have him fingerprinted and fully “processed,” at our local police station.

This did not happen at night. It happened in the middle of the day. It did not happen to a previously unknown urban black male. It happened to internationally known, 58-year-old Henry Louis “Skip” Gates Jr. I am writing about this event because it is an outrage, because I want others to know that it is an outrage, and because, even now, I have not fully processed the meaning of it.

Here’s what I understand to have happened: The officer in my friend’s case was really motivated by a simmering cauldron of anger that my friend had not immediately complied with his initial command to step out of the house. In hindsight, that was the right thing to do since I think my friend could have been physically injured by this police officer (if not worse) had he, in fact, stepped out of his home before showing his ID. Black Americans recall all too well that Amadou Diallo reached for his identification in a public space when confronted by police and, 42 gun shots later, became the textbook case of deadly race-infected police bias.

Skip is one of the most readily recognized black men in America and the most broadly influential black scholar of this generation. And yes, in the liberal, politically correct cocoon of “the people’s Republic of Cambridge,” a famous, wealthy and important black man was arrested on his front porch. The ultimate charge? “Disorderly conduct.” Whatever that means.

Even before the charge were dropped Tuesday, I knew in my bones that this officer was wrong. I knew in my bones that this situation was about the level of deference from a black male that a white cop expects. I say this even though I did not see the events themselves unfold. What I do know with certainty is that the officer, even by his own written report, understood that he was dealing with a lawful resident of the house when he made the arrest. That same report makes it clear that at the time of the arrest, the officer was no longer concerned about the report of a “burglary in progress” involving “two black males.” No, by this point we’re talking about something else entirely.

Maybe this “situation” had something to do with Harvard University and social class. It is possible that one element of what happened here involved a policeman with working-class roots who faced an opportunity to “level the playing field” with a famous and successful Harvard professor. But even if class mattered, it did so mostly because of how, in this situation, it was bound up with race.

Imagine the scenario. An influential man, in his own home, is ordered to step outside by a policeman. Naturally and without disrespect he asks “Why?” or perhaps “Who are you?” The officer says words to the effect, “I’m responding to a burglary report. Step outside now!”

To which, our confident man, in his own home, says, “No. This is my house. I live here. I work for the university, and the university manages this property.” The response prompts the officer to demand identification. “Fine,” our resident says, and he pulls out two forms of identification from his wallet.

The officer now knows with high certainty that he is dealing with the legitimate resident of the home. Does he ask, “Is everything alright, sir? We had a report of a burglary.” No, he does not. Does he say, “I’m sorry, sir, if I frightened you before. We had a report of a burglary, and all they said was ‘two black men at this address.’ You can understand my concern when I first got to the house?”

No, he didn’t do that either. He also could have disengaged by walking away. But no, he didn’t do that either.

This officer continued to insist that my friend step outside. By now, it is clear to my friend that the officer has, well, “an attitude problem.” So, as I suspect would happen with any influential, successful person, in their own home, who has provided authoritative identification to a policeman would do in this situation: My friend says, “I want your name and badge number.” The cop says nothing sensible in response but continues to wait at the door.

The request for the officer’s name and badge number is pressed again. No response. Social scientists have plenty of hard data showing that African Americans, across the social-class spectrum, are deeply distrustful of the police. The best research suggests that this perception has substantial roots in direct personal encounters with police that individuals felt were discriminatory or motivated by racism. But this perception of bias also rests on a shared collective knowledge of a history of discriminatory treatment of blacks by police and of social policies with built-in forms of racial bias (i.e., stiffer sentences for use of crack versus powder cocaine).

In the age of Obama, however, with all the talk of post-racial comity, you might have thought what happened to Skip Gates was an impossibility. Even the deepest race cynic—picture comedian Dave Chappelle as “Conspiracy Brother” from the movie Undercover Brother—couldn’t predict such an event. But, I will say that when I moved into the same affluent area as Gates, I wondered whether someone might mistakenly report me, a black man, for breaking into my own house in a largely white neighborhood and what I would have to do to prove that the house actually belonged to me if the police showed up at the door.

I remember joking with my wife that maybe I should keep a copy of the mortgage papers and deed in the front foyer, just in case. I do now. And it is no longer a joke.

There is no way to completely erase and undo what has been done. And there is, indeed, a larger lesson here about the problem of racial bias and misuse of discretion by police that still, all too often, works against blacks, especially poor blacks. If Skip Gates can be arrested on his front porch and end up in handcuffs in a police cruiser then, sadly, there, but for the grace of God, goes every other black man in America. That is one sad statement, and it should also be enough to end all this post-racial hogwash.

Maybe events will prove my cynicism and anger unwarranted. Perhaps the officer involved will be fully held to account for his actions. Perhaps Gates will hear the apology he so richly deserves to hear. Perhaps a review of training, policy and practice by police in my fair city and many others will take place and move us closer to a day of bias-free policing. If you’re inclined to believe all that will happen, then I’ve got a shiny, new, post-racial narrative I’d be happy to sell.

Lawrence Bobo is the W.E.B. Du Bois Professor of the Social Sciences at Harvard University.
I stopped reading here.I am far from a racist, but damn this is pissing me off.

The thing is, this incident is going to create a heck of a lot more racists that it will stop racism.

Blacks acting like this is fuel to the fire.

Maurile Tremblay said:
GroveDiesel said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
GroveDiesel said:
Link?

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Buckychudd said:
Depends on your target audience. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton act this way all the time and it makes them money.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Witz said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Witz said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Being belligerent is not illegal.I'm not saying that he's factually innocent of disorderly conduct because the chargers were dropped. I'm saying he's factually innocent because he didn't do anything that even arguably amounted to criminal conduct under MA law. (Which is why the charges were dropped.)
You talking in circles here. In your opinion what he did was not disorderly. In quite a number of other individuals (including the police on hand) opinions, he was disorderly. I think I'll side with the police's opinion on this because a). they were there and neither you or I were & b). this is what they do day in and day out. 'You are going to pay for this' is not inciteful or a physical threat? What would any reasonable individual believe a man who was handcuffed shouting that phrase would mean? You are really reaching here in an effort to make your point.

Fennis said:
Nigel said:
this racebaiting tool's motives?
Another race baiting reference.
pretty clear, even by the professor's own account, that that's what was going on here. :cry:
So in your mind Gates was looking to what spark a race war? Get beaten so he could sue the city? Or just looking for trouble with with cops he happens to come across?
When did Crowley beat him?

timschochet said:

By Lawrence Bobo

And yet the author (and close friend) conveniently fails to mention Gates' reported tirade against the arresting Officer. A tirade which ultimately led to his arrest.

Fennis said:
Nigel said:
pretty clear, even by the professor's own account, that that's what was going on here. :cry:
So in your mind Gates was looking to what spark a race war? Get beaten so he could sue the city? Or just looking for trouble with with cops he happens to come across?
The guy immediately went into "you're a racist" mode when a cop came to his house, to protect his property and it's occupants, which happen to be him - refused to comply with by-the-book requests for cooperation and answers to simple questions. Not sure he was looking to start an all out race war, but yeah, he was looking for a fight.

Fennis said:
Nigel said:
When did Crowley beat him?
He didnt. Nigel called Gates a race baiter (which is at best laughable) and I am asking what is the motivaton of being a race baiter in this instance?

timschochet said:
Sounds like this guy is a close colleague of the "victim" and potentially a good friend. Do you think this is really representative?

He didnt. Nigel called Gates a race baiter (which is at best laughable) and I am asking what is the motivaton of being a race baiter in this instance?
Attention. Save your faux outrage for the harder ones. You're burning through your credibility too fast.

timschochet said:
Sounds like this guy is a close colleague of the "victim" and potentially a good friend. Do you think this is really representative?
:woosh:Didn't read the article at all, did you?

Attention. Save your faux outrage for the harder ones. You're burning through your credibility too fast.
1) I have no cred to burn through2) I am not faux outraged or even outraged. I'm not even angry. He is, however, clearly wrong.

Why do so many black people feel the police treat them unfairly?
bump
bump
Why don't you just tell us what's on your mind, Fennis?
I am wondering what the general consensus of the thread is, in particular the people putting the sole blame on Gates.
Quick question - based on everything we have heard so far, what did the police do incorrectly in this situation?

bump
bump
Aww ####, I'll bite on this.Black people feel the police treat them unfairly because a lot of times they do.Is there such thing as racial profiling? Yes. Is it right? No.Is this incident an example of racial profiling? No.
Thanks. I'm personally torn on the issue and undecided, although I do think race played a factor, how much I do not know. I know Gates could have diffused the situation if he behaved differently. But so could have the cop, and it the cop's responsibility to manage the situation, which he clearly did poorly.

bump
bump
Aww ####, I'll bite on this.Black people feel the police treat them unfairly because a lot of times they do.

Is there such thing as racial profiling? Yes. Is it right? No.

Is this incident an example of racial profiling? No.
Thanks. I'm personally torn on the issue and undecided, although I do think race played a factor, how much I do not know. I know Gates could have diffused the situation if he behaved differently. But so could have the cop, and it the cop's responsibility to manage the situation, which he clearly did poorly.
How do we know this?

Users who are viewing this thread