What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housing While Black (2 Viewers)

Not meaning to hijack but I'm black, live in a upper middle class neighborhood and got pulled over making a right turn out my sub. Cop saw me pull out my driveway onto the street and make the right turn. Cop pulls me over, approaches my car and the first question he asks is, "Can I see proof of income?" I said :lmao: I'm still pissed just thinking about it.
Hmm so am I...and I've run into many similar issues.I've also grown up in more liberal areas of the country. 9 times out of 10, I find as long as I am polite, respectful and have all of the papers you're supposed to have in your vehicle, a police officer will treat you with respect.The 1 out of 10 that want to bust your balls could be racist, or they could be just like any of the other ######## cops that are out there giving everyone a hard time for no other reason than being on a powertrip.ETA: Everyone's experiences are different though, I realize that.
:shrug: Yep, there are lots of unhappy cops out there, even the ones making good coin. I've had my balls busted a number of times for really no good reason, by both white and black (I'm white).

seems strange that the neighbor was nosy enough to see this and call the cops but dumb enough not to realize the guy actually lived there.

Not meaning to hijack but I'm black, live in a upper middle class neighborhood and got pulled over making a right turn out my sub. Cop saw me pull out my driveway onto the street and make the right turn. Cop pulls me over, approaches my car and the first question he asks is, "Can I see proof of income?" I said :confused: I'm still pissed just thinking about it.
Everyone should always have a copy of their tax return in their car, especially if they plan on making any right turns. :excited:

kaa said:
African Americans are increasingly integrating into American society. Black youth are not the liberal voting bloc their parents or grandparents were. They are transforming into a swing vote. This is a major threat to liberalism. If the black vote becomes a swing vote, then that alters the electoral math to an enormous degree and makes it much more difficult for liberals to win office in the future.How might you fix that? Nominate an African American perhaps? Effective, but no long term solution. How about if the liberal media sensationalized stories of racism to try to drive a wedge between blacks and whites? Perhaps. Doubtful such tactics are going to stop the trend though. I think blacks are going to integrate and become a swing vote, and the liberals cannot stop it.
:fishing: Shine on, you crazy diamond.

seems strange that the neighbor was nosy enough to see this and call the cops but dumb enough not to realize the guy actually lived there.
I have no clue who my neighbors are.
I know practically everyone on my block. In Chicago. None of them are famous. It was at least a bit odd that she didn't know who Gates was.
She might know who he is if he came over. How old is she? How is her eyesight? How far away are their houses? Did she get a good look at him or just from the side while he was trying to shoulder down the door?

if they were famous and had people on internet message boards posting about them, I'm guessing you might.
How many of us can honestly say that they knew who this "famous" guy was at this time last week?

if they were famous and had people on internet message boards posting about them, I'm guessing you might.
How many of us can honestly say that they knew who this "famous" guy was at this time last week?
I did.

I know practically everyone on my block. In Chicago. None of them are famous. It was at least a bit odd that she didn't know who Gates was.
She might know who he is if he came over. How old is she? How is her eyesight? How far away are their houses? Did she get a good look at him or just from the side while he was trying to shoulder down the door?
this sounds like My Cousin Vinny shtick

He actually entered the back door with his key, because the lock was broken on the front door. He unlocked the front door from the inside, but it still wouldn't open.

I did.
Congratulations, but I bet you'd be in the minority here.And no one can convince me otherwise.

this sounds like My Cousin Vinny shtick
Never seen it.Was this a next-door neighbor? Across the street? Any kind of landscaping in the way? Lots of reasons she could've known Gates, but not recognized from that particular distance or angle.

I did.
Congratulations, but I bet you'd be in the minority here.
I'll take that as a compliment.

And no one can convince me otherwise.
I saw him speak one time. He's really the preeminent mind on African American studies. I don't think anyone is going to pretend like that is a field a whole lot of people are interested in/know the top level academics.

I saw him speak one time. He's really the preeminent mind on African American studies. I don't think anyone is going to pretend like that is a field a whole lot of people are interested in/know the top level academics.
What exactly is covered in African American studies? Are there Harvard scholars teaching courses in Italian-American studies, Irish-American studies, Greek-American studies, etc. etc.?

What exactly is covered in African American studies? Are there Harvard scholars teaching courses in Italian-American studies, Irish-American studies, Greek-American studies, etc. etc.?
Is this a serious question?

Absolutely.

He is well known. Most of the posters here are educated. I am sure most people know who he is.
Heard the name before tonight. Couldnt pick him out of a lineup. And I am from Boston.
I would be absolutely, completely amazed if more than a quarter of the posters here knew who this guy was and could pick his face out of a lineup at this time last week.

Absolutely.
This is usually a good place for starters:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_history

Apparently, yes.

He is well known. Most of the posters here are educated. I am sure most people know who he is.
Heard the name before tonight. Couldnt pick him out of a lineup. And I am from Boston.
I would be absolutely, completely amazed if more than a quarter of the posters here knew who this guy was and could pick his face out of a lineup at this time last week.
I've seen him on TV before, but if someone gave me his name in a conversation I wouldn't have put a face to it.

A few years back I was having lunch with a Black friend of mine in Echo Park (Los Angeles.) This is not a place I normally frequent, but he invited me to a family picnic. This was a guy I met at a chess club, so I went and met his wife and children.

In the middle of our picnic lunch, the police came and took this guy away. Right in front of his wife, children, and me. I probably should have said something, but frankly I was too scared. There had been a robbery in the area, and the description was of a "muscular Black man". My friend was handcuffed and taken away for questioning. Afterwards, I learned that he was released a couple of hours later.

Yes it does happen, and those of you who don't get it- the only reason I know is because I saw it happen in front of me.

A few years back I was having lunch with a Black friend of mine in Echo Park (Los Angeles.) This is not a place I normally frequent, but he invited me to a family picnic. This was a guy I met at a chess club, so I went and met his wife and children. In the middle of our picnic lunch, the police came and took this guy away. Right in front of his wife, children, and me. I probably should have said something, but frankly I was too scared. There had been a robbery in the area, and the description was of a "muscular Black man". My friend was handcuffed and taken away for questioning. Afterwards, I learned that he was released a couple of hours later.Yes it does happen, and those of you who don't get it- the only reason I know is because I saw it happen in front of me.
I can certainly see how what happened in this case matches up to so close to what we're discussing here.

Absolutely.
Ok, I think we can probably dispense with the obvious why there is and what is covered in an AAS class.But yeah, there are a ton of classes like that. I don't know of any Harvard scholars off the top of my head. Here are some examples of programs:

A friend of mine is even minoring in Latin American studies at the liberal bastion, University of Arkansas.. That might not be white enough though.

The City University of New York has an entire institute devoted to Irish American studies. This includes and Irish studies minor at Queens College.

A few years back I was having lunch with a Black friend of mine in Echo Park (Los Angeles.) This is not a place I normally frequent, but he invited me to a family picnic. This was a guy I met at a chess club, so I went and met his wife and children. In the middle of our picnic lunch, the police came and took this guy away. Right in front of his wife, children, and me. I probably should have said something, but frankly I was too scared. There had been a robbery in the area, and the description was of a "muscular Black man". My friend was handcuffed and taken away for questioning. Afterwards, I learned that he was released a couple of hours later.Yes it does happen, and those of you who don't get it- the only reason I know is because I saw it happen in front of me.
Is this your "casual" way of telling us that you have a black friend?

Anyway.

He acted like a #####.

The cop should've let it go and just left.

Race had nothing to do with what the cop did.
I don't think you can make this statement not being there. I suspect race had everything to do with it, but I can't prove it either. However, there is an overwhelming historical experience to support my suspicion and not yours.

Anyway.

He acted like a #####.

I don't think you can make this statement not being there. I suspect race had everything to do with it, but I can't prove it either. However, there is an overwhelming historical experience to support my suspicion and not yours.
Everything?There is overwhelming historical experience to support the position that cops arrest people who act like jagoffs, black or white.

I have lots of Black friends, and when I've related this story, they've all told me similar experiences. Black profiling happens all the time. The police tend to be racist more often than not. This is a truth that African Americans recognize and most white people don't. And this is the heart of the Black experience and central to this event and peoples' interpretation of it.

Anyway.

He acted like a #####.

I'm trying to keep this straight. So based on your reading of the two cases, there is no evidence to support that Teddy Kennedy was at least guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the Chappaquidick case but historical precedent tells you that the cop was most likely in the wrong here even though there are eye witness accounts that say just the opposite. Ok, got it.

I have lots of Black friends, and when I've related this story, they've all told me similar experiences. Black profiling happens all the time. The police tend to be racist more often than not. This is a truth that African Americans recognize and most white people don't. And this is the heart of the Black experience and central to this event and peoples' interpretation of it.
I'm not sure you know what profiling is. If the police have a description of a criminal and someone matches that description, I dont think that is profiling. My understanding of profiling is targeting a group (most notably in traffic stops) because of the color of their skin or ethnic background.

Anyway.

He acted like a #####.

I'm trying to keep this straight. So based on your reading of the two cases, there is no evidence to support that Teddy Kennedy was at least guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the Chappaquidick case but historical precedent tells you that the cop was most likely in the wrong here even though there are eye witness accounts that say just the opposite. Ok, got it.
Love it.

They might at this point, but I doubt they did prior to this incident.
:lmao: Just because you didn't know who he was, you assume almost nobody. Too funny.
I'm certainly not alone on this. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you know what profiling is. If the police have a description of a criminal and someone matches that description, I dont think that is profiling. My understanding of profiling is targeting a group (most notably in traffic stops) because of the color of their skin or ethnic background.
Pat, the only reason my friend got taken away from his family in handcuffs was because he was Black. That's it. He didn't argue with the police, didn't act like a jerk, nothing like that. You call it what you want. Whatever you want to call it, it's wrong. And it happens all the time. And because of that, I have reason to suspect it happened in this case, too.

Users who are viewing this thread