What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Housing While Black (1 Viewer)

it's probably not a case of racism, though it still makes no sense to me why he was arrested.
:confused:You really don't get why shouting at an officer, accusing him of being a racist, and insulting his mother might get you arrested for disorderly conduct?
Frankly no I don't. Not in front of your own house. A ticket, maybe. But they had determined that he was not breaking and entering, that should have been the end of it.

Officer gets a call of a B & E in progress involving two men.

OfFicer gets to address and sees evidence consistent with B & E.

Officer sees one man in home. Rather than prone him out at gunpoint and secure him to allow him to locate the other man and to control the situation for his safety he takes the unusually accomodating step of engaging the first man in conversation directly related to investigating and resolving the matter.

The man gives him lip.

The officer orders the man to step outside (a lawful order under the circumstances), away from objects the man might have grabbed and which might have been used against the officer had this man been a B & E artist.

Again the man gives him lip and refuses (At this point in manyu jurisdictions that failure to obey constitutes a misdemeanor). The man tries to then gain control of the situation and start making demands before the officer has even secured the seen or controlled the other man at the residence.

I would sy the officers showed remarkable restraint in the face of potential personal danger, non-cooperation, and provocation.

I stick with my original analysis that the professor had a world view which he was responding to and not the facts. The officer may also have a world view, but here he was seeking objective information at potential personal risk. Kudos to the Sgt. Not so for the Professor.

I also note if the Professor can find substantiation in here for his world view it actually enhances his cred and supports some of his academic hyothesis upon which he has made a career.

it's probably not a case of racism, though it still makes no sense to me why he was arrested.
:confused:You really don't get why shouting at an officer, accusing him of being a racist, and insulting his mother might get you arrested for disorderly conduct?
Frankly no I don't. Not in front of your own house.
Oh, well let me help you -> if you shout, insult, accuse an officer of being a racist, and talk about his mother, there's a pretty solid chance he will arrest you for disorderly conduct because you're an #######. This applies to Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, and all types of #######s.Also, there is no magical anti-law bubble over your front lawn that makes you invulnerable to arrest. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
seems strange that the neighbor was nosy enough to see this and call the cops but dumb enough not to realize the guy actually lived there.
I have no clue who my neighbors are.
I know practically everyone on my block. In Chicago. None of them are famous. It was at least a bit odd that she didn't know who Gates was.
I live in Chicago and I've never seen my next door neighbor's face. No clue if she's famous or not.Why is this even an issue?

seems strange that the neighbor was nosy enough to see this and call the cops but dumb enough not to realize the guy actually lived there.
I know practically everyone on my block. In Chicago. None of them are famous. It was at least a bit odd that she didn't know who Gates was.
I live in Chicago and I've never seen my next door neighbor's face. No clue if she's famous or not.
Racist.

She might know who he is if he came over. How old is she? How is her eyesight? How far away are their houses? Did she get a good look at him or just from the side while he was trying to shoulder down the door?
this sounds like My Cousin Vinny shtick
It may have been funny in the movie but purported eyewitnesses are discredited like this all the time.

if they were famous and had people on internet message boards posting about them, I'm guessing you might.
How old is she? My parents wouldn't have a clue about who is famous on the internet.
He's not famous on the internet. He's famous, period. Not Britney Spears famous, but famous enough that its it's flat-out weird to be neighbors with someone like that and not know who they are. I live in a large building in a city, where most of us don't know our neighbors, and if Henry Louis Gates lived anywhere in my building, I promise you we'd all know it.

:goodposting:You really don't get why shouting at an officer, accusing him of being a racist, and insulting his mother might get you arrested for disorderly conduct?
Oh, well let me help you -> if you shout, insult, accuse an officer of being a racist, and talk about his mother, there's a pretty solid chance he will arrest you for disorderly conduct because you're an #######. This applies to Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, and all types of #######s.Also, there is no magical anti-law bubble over your front lawn that makes you invulnerable to arrest. HTH.
Look, I admit that earlier I believed there was around a 90% liklihood that racism was involved here. I admit that my personal experiences and political views play a part in that supposition. Now I'm not so sure. I still think it's at least 50-50 that racism was involved on the part of the police. But I'm willing to admit that it might not be so.However, from the beginning you have been willing to take the police's word at face value. You have gone into this with a predetermined opinion, and I doubt you would let facts change your opinion.

This argument reminds me of the one where certain conservatives in this forum refuse to acknowledge, despite overwhelming evidence, that waterboarding is torture. Some things are just so obvious that even to attempt to explain them seems absurd. If you don't understand that this situation would have gone down COMPLETELY differently had the professor been white, then you don't want to understand, and you never will.
:goodposting: Oh timmy, don't ever change!

if they were famous and had people on internet message boards posting about them, I'm guessing you might.
How old is she? My parents wouldn't have a clue about who is famous on the internet.
He's not famous on the internet. He's famous, period. Not Britney Spears famous, but famous enough that its it's flat-out weird to be neighbors with someone like that and not know who they are. I live in a large building in a city, where most of us don't know our neighbors, and if Henry Louis Gates lived anywhere in my building, I promise you we'd all know it.
So how do you know that someone of comparable fame isn't one of your neighbors right now?

Had it been just him, sure, maybe she'd have recognized him.But he had another large man with him that was attempting to shoulder the door down. Please tell me you aren't suggesting that neighbors should be giving situations like this the benefit of the doubt and not call the cops?I mean, I don't even understand why the fact the police were called is being discussed at all, it seems pretty obvious that they were there for a justifiable cause. And I also love how the media is specifically reporting that the caller was white, is that not racism? Where's the outrage for that? Oh, that's right, white people have no racial rights whatsoever. Fantastic.

All of a sudden, there was a policeman on my porch. And I thought, ‘This is strange.’ So I went over to the front porch still holding the phone, and I said ‘Officer, can I help you?’ And he said, ‘Would you step outside onto the porch.’ And the way he said it, I knew he wasn’t canvassing for the police benevolent association. All the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and I realized that I was in danger. And I said to him no, out of instinct. I said, ‘No, I will not.’
Really? I had to break into my own house once and I swear to god the first thought I had was I wonder if the cops are going to show up?

I understand that with the jet lag and irritability of not being able to get into the house that he may not have thought about it, but as soon as the cops show up wouldn't it trigger in your head that oh yeah I guess that did look suspicious.

I'm not so sure about that. My parents are very well-educated, intelligent people and I highly doubt they've ever heard of Henry Louis Gates. I've heard of him, but if I were walking down the street and he were going the other way, I'd have no clue who he was.I've lived two houses down (residential neighborhood, we know most of our neighbors) from a locally famous guy since 1990, and I didn't know he lived there until last summer. He's not HLG famous by any means, but the guy's lived there with his wife for 18 years and I had no idea.

The professor has a preconceived world view. That world veiw is very negtive as towards police interactions with the black community. He responded not to the situation but to his preconceptions, reinforcing them and making this happen.
This is certainly possible, IF we take the police at their word that what they said happened was accurate. But, again, it doesn't fit the profile of the professor.
So it's okay to profile?

It was the police who stated that Gates was acting like a jerk, right? Gates himself denies it. Every description I heard of Gates is that he is a small, mild mannered elderly man who uses a cane to walk. Because of this unanimous description, the cops' story made little sense to me, and I figured (reasonably) it was being fabricated after the fact to cover up what is both an embarrassing and obviously racist situation. I have made most of my comments based on this assumption.

Yet when I read the comments in this thread, many of you simply take the police at their word and make all of your assumptions based on that. And again, this in itself is indicative of the problem. White people in general trust the police and believe them to be telling the truth in most instances. Black people do not. I think Blacks have it right in terms of their own interactions with the police.
:moneybag: Tim,

I can assure you the black community doesn't need or want your empathy or help defending our rights in this situation. Please just stop. I know you are extremely outraged but you are out of your league here.

Why do you ignore the eye witnesses who say the professor was making a scene from beginning to end? So we have 2 different versions, and 3rd party impartial witnesses that back up the police officers POV. Not good enough for you?
Thanks for being patronizing, but I don't make my opinions based on empathy with the Black community. Either someting is right or it is wrong, period. As for the eyewitness, here is what I read:Meanwhile, in online interviews, Gates said that claims that he was publicly yelling at Sgt. Crowley are false, and that with a bronchial infection, he was not capable of shouting, a claim repeated to the Herald by Ogletree. Crowley’s report said Gates had refused to show his ID, which Gates also has denied.

A 55-year-old neighbor who said he witnessed the incident but declined to give his name, however, said that Gates was in fact yelling loudly, as indicated by a photo taken by another neighbor.

“When police asked him for ID, Gates started yelling, ‘I’m a Harvard professor . . . You believe white women over black men. This is racial profiling.’ ”

“The police did their job,” said the neighbor. “He should be thanking them. But they shouldn’t have arrested him. He had just gotten off a 20-hour flight. He couldn’t get his door open. He got frustrated . . . They should have just said forget it.”

The photo shows Gates "yelling loudly" after he was put in handcuffs. But in any case, I suspect Gates was angry, maybe even yelling, though he doesn't remember doing so. I would have done the same if I had been him. He is an elderly Black man, a Harvard professor, and the only reason he is being harrassed IMO is because of his skin color. There is NO possible way he was a threat to the police or to anyone else. To handcuff this guy and drag him away, and you guys don't believe race was an issue here? Come on.

The neighbor's statements are contradictory. How can the police be "doing their job" if they arrested a guy when "they shouldn't have arrested him"? It sounds to me like the neighbor knew that Gates being arrested was BS, but didn't want to attack the police too strongly, because he, like so many of you, have been trained since childhood to trust the police in these situations.
So which is it? Was he incapable of yelling or not?

Please tell me you aren't suggesting that neighbors should be giving situations like this the benefit of the doubt and not call the cops?
:moneybag: I had the cops called on me for snooping around my own house with a flashlight late at night.Did the neighbors know that someone fitting my profile lived in the house? Yeah sure. Should that have stopped them from calling the cops? No way.Cops came and questioned me. Instead of arguing with them, I went and produced my ID. I apologized for wasting their time and they were on their way. If you're not being a ####, stuff like this doesn't happen too often. Now I don't know exactly what happened in this guy's case, but I tend to think he brought this on himself with his own actions, not some cop with a racist agenda. We'll probably never know.

So how do you know that someone of comparable fame isn't one of your neighbors right now?
You make a good point.I suppose I just assume that would know. Either I'd notice the name on a mailbox or a stray piece of mail or shipping form, or one of the few neighbors that I do know would have mentioned it at some point.

I've had many many experiences with persons and things of similar reknown in my vicinity, either at work or at school or at home. of course I can't affirmatively say that I knew about all of them, but I can say that it seems like everyone around knows about it any time anyone who is remotely famous or even in a famous family is nearby. I'm talking about things as disconnected as finding out that the father of some high school classmate I barely even know is a semi-famous artist, or that the father of some girl who's casually dating a guy I kind of know played a season with the Cleveland Browns. If that stuff gets around, I find it hard to fathom that you could live across the street from a guy like Henry Louis Gates and not know about it.

Look, I admit that earlier I believed there was around a 90% liklihood that racism was involved here. I admit that my personal experiences and political views play a part in that supposition. Now I'm not so sure. I still think it's at least 50-50 that racism was involved on the part of the police. But I'm willing to admit that it might not be so.

However, from the beginning you have been willing to take the police's word at face value. You have gone into this with a predetermined opinion, and I doubt you would let facts change your opinion.
The bolded...plus these gems...
it's probably not a case of racism

However, if Gates is essentially telling the truth, then what I originally wrote about this situation is correct: it's a blatant and typical case of police racism against an African American.
and nobody has a clue what you are trying to say.You go from it was 90% to probably not racism, to if Gates's story is true its blatant racism to its 50/50 that its racism.

You are all over the place.

And talk about going in with a predetermined opinion and not letting the facts change your opinion...you seem to have been on the side of Gates the entire time, and the only thing that is changed is your uncertainty on how much racism by police was involved.

All of a sudden, there was a policeman on my porch. And I thought, ‘This is strange.’ So I went over to the front porch still holding the phone, and I said ‘Officer, can I help you?’ And he said, ‘Would you step outside onto the porch.’ And the way he said it, I knew he wasn’t canvassing for the police benevolent association. All the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and I realized that I was in danger. And I said to him no, out of instinct. I said, ‘No, I will not.’
Really? I had to break into my own house once and I swear to god the first thought I had was I wonder if the cops are going to show up?

I understand that with the jet lag and irritability of not being able to get into the house that he may not have thought about it, but as soon as the cops show up wouldn't it trigger in your head that oh yeah I guess that did look suspicious.
And his immediate thought was that he was in danger.Over and over it appears the only person with any preconceived notions of race or trouble was Gates.

Look, I admit that earlier I believed there was around a 90% liklihood that racism was involved here. I admit that my personal experiences and political views play a part in that supposition. Now I'm not so sure. I still think it's at least 50-50 that racism was involved on the part of the police. But I'm willing to admit that it might not be so.However, from the beginning you have been willing to take the police's word at face value. You have gone into this with a predetermined opinion, and I doubt you would let facts change your opinion.
With the mountains of evidence supporting the officer's version of events the BEST you'll give is 50-50? :kicksrock: It's this type of attitude, along with that and the actions of the AA community as exemplified by this professor, that continue to hurt race relations in this country. Oh, and for the record I don't really like cops but until there's evidence to the contrary I'll take their version of events over a suspect in a crime every time. And Timmy, I've been harassed and arrested wrongly on numerous occasions. AA's don't have the monopoly on that. And I STILL give cops the benefit of the doubt. You should try walking a mile in their shoes before becoming so pompous and arrogant.

:goodposting: You really don't get why shouting at an officer, accusing him of being a racist, and insulting his mother might get you arrested for disorderly conduct?
Oh, well let me help you -> if you shout, insult, accuse an officer of being a racist, and talk about his mother, there's a pretty solid chance he will arrest you for disorderly conduct because you're an #######. This applies to Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, and all types of #######s.Also, there is no magical anti-law bubble over your front lawn that makes you invulnerable to arrest.

HTH.
Link?The "beginning" of this for me was days ago. This has been talked to death around here. Just because you started thinking about this yesterday or today doesn't mean I have too.

I believe the cop because the evidence obviously supports his side of the story, and he's not the one showboating this around like it's a publicity stunt -you're the one with the problem here of automatically assuming that this cop is bigot without having any idea what you're talking about - don't assume that everyone else shares your intellectual shortcomings.

Also, this really has nothing to do with my post, which deals with you being somehow incapable of understanding the very basic fact that if you mouth off/act like a d-bag to cops (like Gates did), they can and will arrest you for disorderly conduct or something else that they would otherwise not have arrested you for had you not acted like an #######. This, again, applies to all races, and is not subject to the magical anti-law bubble you seem to think exists in your front lawn.

Normally, these limitations of yours would not really be important or meaningful, but it playes a role here since you can't imagine why Gates would be arrested, when really the answer is simply that he was being a complete ########. You can argue about whether or not that's right or wrong, whether it was an abuse or not, but it's really not enough by itself to think that there was racism involved. The only source of any kind of racism in this entire story is the "persecuted" black man himself, and his misguided moronic supporters.

You have gone into this with a predetermined opinion, and I doubt you would let facts change your opinion.
If you ever wonder why people single you out for abuse, its because you post stuff like this with a straight face, completely oblivious to the hypocrisy of doing so.

When I lived in Detroit cars were getting broken into on our street..I was in my garage at midnight when two Detroit cops walked up my driveway...all they said to me was "Put you hands in the air and walk out of the garage slowly..I complied..then they put me against the car in my driveway and asked what I was doing in the garage at midnight. I said I live here. They then made me pull out my wallet and show ID...I complied again. They then sorry "Sorry for the trouble sir..but we had a string of break-ins tonight on your street and were not sure if you were attempting another......have a good night. Both cops were black. Did I think they were racist?? No..I thought they were doing their job. Growing up in Detroit I learned fast that if you follow the cops instructions things go much smoother.

He "famous," not famous. The fact that people who are familiar with academia or black causes would see him as "famous" doesn't make it so for everyone.BTW, my Dad couldn't pick Britney Spears out of a police line-up.

When I lived in Detroit cars were getting broken into on our street..I was in my garage at midnight when two Detroit cops walked up my driveway...all they said to me was "Put you hands in the air and walk out of the garage slowly..I complied..then they put me against the car in my driveway and asked what I was doing in the garage at midnight. I said I live here. They then made me pull out my wallet and show ID...I complied again. They then sorry "Sorry for the trouble sir..but we had a string of break-ins tonight on your street and were not sure if you were attempting another......have a good night. Both cops were black. Did I think they were racist?? No..I thought they were doing there job.
Just curious, what if the exact experience happened to your kids, how would you feel? What if it happened to your kids multiple times in a year? What if it happened to a sizable percentage of your childrens friends as well?

Different perspective all together based simply on skin color. I am not black so I have no idea what it is like to face racial profiling/cop beatdowns/driving while black.

When I lived in Detroit cars were getting broken into on our street..I was in my garage at midnight when two Detroit cops walked up my driveway...all they said to me was "Put you hands in the air and walk out of the garage slowly..I complied..then they put me against the car in my driveway and asked what I was doing in the garage at midnight. I said I live here. They then made me pull out my wallet and show ID...I complied again. They then sorry "Sorry for the trouble sir..but we had a string of break-ins tonight on your street and were not sure if you were attempting another......have a good night. Both cops were black. Did I think they were racist?? No..I thought they were doing there job.
Just curious, what if the exact experience happened to your kids, how would you feel? What if it happened to your kids multiple times in a year? What if it happened to a sizable percentage of your childrens friends as well?
What do you think you have happened to me if they said "Show your hands and walk out of the garage and I said FU" One thing I am sure of is that I would have been extracted from the garage and most likely would have received a pretty good ### whipping.The cop that arrived in the Harvard case was called by someone reporting a BE...he did not just drive by and see a black guy in a home....and he was responding as if he was confronting a criminal in a home invasion. If the guy just complied it would have been over right away.

What do you think you have happened to me if they said "Show your hands and walk out of the garage and I said FU" One thing I am sure of is that I would have been extracted from the garage and most likely would have received a pretty good ### whipping.The cop that arrived in the Harvard case was called by someone reporting a BE...he did not just drive by and see a black guy in a home....and he was responding as if he was confronting a criminal in a home invasion. If the guy just complied it would have been over right away.
I am not defending Gates' role in this. Sounds like he did a lot of things wrong. If you said FU to the cops, I would hope you wouldn’t get an ### beating and if you did I would hope the cops would be properly punished.

Now you answer my original questions.

That black officer in The picture Rude linked to is clearly an Uncle Tom.

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but this officer was also the guy that tried to save Reggie Lewis by performing CPR on him. Since he's obviously a raging racist and there is no way he'd put his mouth on a black guy to save him, we should probably go back and look at him for homicide on that. He was obviously ssucking out the oxygen from Lewis instead of blowing it in.

That black officer in The picture Rude linked to is clearly an Uncle Tom.

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but this officer was also the guy that tried to save Reggie Lewis by performing CPR on him. Since he's obviously a raging racist and there is no way he'd put his mouth on a black guy to save him, we should probably go back and look at him for homicide on that. He was obviously ssucking out the oxygen from Lewis instead of blowing it in.
:hey:

Users who are viewing this thread