What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (1 Viewer)

Sweetness_34 said:
At the end of the year the OL started gelling a lot more. Omiyale (1st year as starter for a season) and Chris Williams (first year as starter for season) played much better at the end of the year. Players do improve from their 1st to 2nd year....Add to that the development and improvement in chemistry between Cutler and his WRs and TEs, Forte (played with sprained MCL all year) and Tommie Harris getting healthier (he looked much better in 2nd half of the year) and the return of Urlacher at MLB, and it does not look so bad suddenly.
That you still hold out hope for Omiyale is kind of funny. I don't think any other Bear fan is thinking anything about that kid. Nor should they.And I want him to succeed more than most as he is a grad of my Alma Mater. But shows you why there are not many from Tennessee Tech that make it to the NFL.

OVC...conference of fans who don't care about football.

or

OVC...conference of fans who cheer for schools they don't go to.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cutler bashers always shut their mouths when he is doing well, but the minute he doesn't play well, look out, they come out in full force. You can almost set your watch to it.

The Cutler bashers always shut their mouths when he is doing well, but the minute he doesn't play well, look out, they come out in full force. You can almost set your watch to it.
In other words, the Cutler bashers are rarely quiet.

Cutler could be playing better for sure, but he does have 4 of his 5 OLmen hurt or playing out of position against one of the best DLs in the game.

Hmm, Collins just came in....

Cutler gets hit and he has this 'deer in the headlights' look to him. The guy is NOT a fighter. He is a quitter.

Cutler was and is overrated. Mostly because of his strong arm, which the media and casual fans love for some reason.

Yes, he can make some throws that most other QBs cannot make. However, his decision-making, which is the most important thing at the QB position, is simply put, terrible. He cant read the defenses well, he is a turnover machine and doesnt perform well under pressure.

He is Brett Favre in his last few years with Green Bay. A chucker who will get some plays made downfield and thread a needle a couple of times and will get picked off the third time.

I still do not understand why the media loves the gunslinger chuckers and looks down on so-called "game managers" and "captain checkdowns" like Penningtons, Garcias and Ortons. Those are all guys who Id take over Cutler easily. Cutler leads all QBs in the last two seasons in red zone INTS.

There's nothing bad in checking down or throwing the ball away when no one's open. In fact, you're SUPPOSED to do that and not force the ball into double or triple coverage like Cutler does.

Martz, who loves prolific QBs, has an offense that benefits Cutler, so I see maybe a slight improvement. But decision-making and inability to read defenses is tough to learn. Does not look like he'll ever get better.

And people cannot make excuses for him, that Denver team was loaded on offense and had an elite OL and he did as well as Kyle Orton, who was continuously bashed back then.

Cutler gets hit and he has this 'deer in the headlights' look to him. The guy is NOT a fighter. He is a quitter.
yep , just like Vick. :excited:
Vick is tough. Cutler...not so much. The guy wilts under pressure.
He's been getting drilled constantly in every game this season, and yet he had the third highest QB rating in the NFL through three weeks. That's kind of weird how he "wilted" his way his to the top of the league...

yep , just like Vick. :excited:
I was being sarcastic about Vick. Maybe Cutler wilts under pressure, but be realistic, he didnt quit tonight. he was getting hammered every play. He got a concussion.

nashua55 said:
az_prof said:
nashua55 said:
az_prof said:
yep , just like Vick. :bag:
I was being sarcastic about Vick. Maybe Cutler wilts under pressure, but be realistic, he didnt quit tonight. he was getting hammered every play. He got a concussion.
I wasn't talking about the injury. Injuries happen, especially when you get hammered. I was talking about how he looks when things aren't going his way. He gets this look in his eyes, and you can see it. I have seen it many times. I saw it about half way through the first quarter and then the rest of the way til he was hurt. He loses confidence easily and isn't resiliant to adversity. I don't care if he had a few good games in the first two weeks of this season. I am talking about what I have seen his whole career in terms of his on field demeanor when things are not going well. Great QBs pick up their game and exude confidence; Cutler doesn't.

Ghost Rider said:
I think that is kind of their point.

nashua55 said:
az_prof said:
nashua55 said:
az_prof said:
yep , just like Vick. ;)
I wasn't talking about the injury. Injuries happen, especially when you get hammered. I was talking about how he looks when things aren't going his way. He gets this look in his eyes, and you can see it. I have seen it many times. I saw it about half way through the first quarter and then the rest of the way til he was hurt. He loses confidence easily and isn't resiliant to adversity. I don't care if he had a few good games in the first two weeks of this season. I am talking about what I have seen his whole career in terms of his on field demeanor when things are not going well. Great QBs pick up their game and exude confidence; Cutler doesn't.
90% of quarterbacking is having the correct look in your eyes, forget about extraneous details like having a 110 QB rating and being 3-0 coming into this game, and then being chased around the field behind an offensive line literally stocked with guys who walked in this week.

90% of quarterbacking is having the correct look in your eyes, forget about extraneous details like having a 110 QB rating and being 3-0 coming into this game, and then being chased around the field behind an offensive line literally stocked with guys who walked in this week.
He's playing in a Mike Martz offense; if he doesn't have some big statistical games then he flat out sucks. The question is whether or not he is a franchise QB who can bring his team to the Super Bowl and win. He doesn't show that intangible and he is not an on field leader. I don't care what his QB rating after three games is. The question is what does he do when his back is up against the wall. And what you saw today is the real Cutler.

His back wasn't against the wall in the big divisional game against GB last week? Oh, that's right, it is only the "real" Jay Cutler when he plays poorly. :bye:

He's playing in a Mike Martz offense; if he doesn't have some big statistical games then he flat out sucks. The question is whether or not he is a franchise QB who can bring his team to the Super Bowl and win. He doesn't show that intangible and he is not an on field leader. I don't care what his QB rating after three games is. The question is what does he do when his back is up against the wall. And what you saw today is the real Cutler.
I saw a quarterback running for his life, and if you think any QB that ever played the game would have prospered in that game you are out of your mind. You want to talk Martz offense? What has happened to every QB in Martz' system when the line doesn't protect a long drop and the receivers dont get to their windows? Answer- they get the snot kicked out of them. Happened to Warner, happened to Bulger, happened to Smith. That system doesn't 'fail gracefully' as an engineer would say. If the ball doesn't come out on time the QB gets hit, and if the line sucks the QB gets hit. Do you really want Cutler just to throw the ball out of bounds 20 times in a game because his receivers don't break open? Somehow I doubt that would win him points in your 'gritty intangibles' category. You think he takes sacks cuz he enjoys his head bouncing off the ground? He's out there trying his best to make plays and he is getting no help.

His back wasn't against the wall in the big divisional game against GB last week? Oh, that's right, it is only the "real" Jay Cutler when he plays poorly. :bye:
Has he ever been a winner? I didn't follow him much in college but I don't get the impression that Vanderbilt won a ton of big games. 2006 in Denver he was 2-3. 2007 Denver was 7-9 under Cutler's leadership. 2008 Denver was 8-8 under Cutler's leadership. Chicago was 7-9 under Cutler's leadership in 2009. So, truth is that the real Cutler appears more often than not. He had a few good games early this season but he doesn't react well to a challenge. Frankly, I would much rather have Bruce Gradkowski--that guy is a leader. Orton is much better, and I was wrong about that a few years ago. But Orton is a winner and a leader. Cutler is neither.

To me it looked like Cutler was dazed most of the first half. The line was bad but he was making slow reads and seemed indecisive. I actually think he may have sustained the concussion earlier in the game and the last sack just made it worse.

Just looking at him makes me want to smack him. He just looks like a #####.

Outside of that ouch, he looked hurrrribell

I saw a quarterback running for his life, and if you think any QB that ever played the game would have prospered in that game you are out of your mind. You want to talk Martz offense? What has happened to every QB in Martz' system when the line doesn't protect a long drop and the receivers dont get to their windows? Answer- they get the snot kicked out of them. Happened to Warner, happened to Bulger, happened to Smith. That system doesn't 'fail gracefully' as an engineer would say. If the ball doesn't come out on time the QB gets hit, and if the line sucks the QB gets hit. Do you really want Cutler just to throw the ball out of bounds 20 times in a game because his receivers don't break open? Somehow I doubt that would win him points in your 'gritty intangibles' category. You think he takes sacks cuz he enjoys his head bouncing off the ground? He's out there trying his best to make plays and he is getting no help.
:bye:

I saw a quarterback running for his life, and if you think any QB that ever played the game would have prospered in that game you are out of your mind.
I don't know about prospered, but the Aaron Ross CB blitz was telling. Can Cutler read a D at all? He looked right at the blizting corner, looked away from him, then stood there and took a sack. WTF was he doing?

while its obviously an exaggeration, I can maybe sorta see what azprof meant. Take Bruce Gradkowski for example. He is not a very good quarterback. He doesn't have an ounce of physical talent Cutler has. Yet, when the game is on the line, Id think very hard and probably choose Grads over Cutler. Hes not very good, but hes got fire in his eyes, I can see that he absolutely HATES to lose and is a warrior who'll sacrifice his body to get a result. Jeff Garcia was the same way.now obviously this isnt the end of everything, and there are some great qbs out there who can achieve great #s and results without the fiery eyes and all but Cutler isnt really one of them yet.

while its obviously an exaggeration, I can maybe sorta see what azprof meant. Take Bruce Gradkowski for example. He is not a very good quarterback. He doesn't have an ounce of physical talent Cutler has. Yet, when the game is on the line, Id think very hard and probably choose Grads over Cutler. Hes not very good, but hes got fire in his eyes, I can see that he absolutely HATES to lose and is a warrior who'll sacrifice his body to get a result. Jeff Garcia was the same way.now obviously this isnt the end of everything, and there are some great qbs out there who can achieve great #s and results without the fiery eyes and all but Cutler isnt really one of them yet.
This is exactly what I am talking about. And trust me, the other guys in the huddle see it too. And if you are looking scared, they don't believe in you, and they are more likely to fail. Confidence and trust is so important.

Took him with Favre back to back in the 9th and 10th I believe. Not feeling so good about the combo after today. Could have saved myself and read all the stuff I had written about him over the years. Had I, I'm pretty sure that I would have avoided him. I think the hot start was just that.....a hot start. I'm expecting an implosion. I think he was drunk today.

Cutler is a scrub. He's not a superstar.
Is it NOW okay to say Cutler stinks? I've been getting flamed for this since the trade went down. Can we safely say it now?
urbanhack said:
Clifton said:
Is this where the Cutler apologists are hanging out?
lol

His back wasn't against the wall in the big divisional game against GB last week? Oh, that's right, it is only the "real" Jay Cutler when he plays poorly. :mellow:
Not sure that should be the crux of your argument. He didn't play all that well against GB.

Oh good god. 'Fire in his eyes'? Where does that show up on the scouting report? Embers per second? This is silly homerism talk. Every QB wants to win, they've been playing football all their lives and probably winning most of the time. Lets talk about all the gritty, hell bent for leather QBs in that have passed through the league that suck, cuz there are plenty of them. Cutler can't win with you guys- he tries to beat coverage and gets picked and he's a turnover machine, he doesn't make that pass and he doesn't have the fire needed to be a winner. And you're pimping Gradkowski? Why don't we bring back Rex Grossman? He had the fire and the swagger right?

I agree but I think there was a fundamental change when they traded Orton for Cutler. They viewed Orton more of a game manager and when they got Cutler, they felt they could throw downfield more. Sometimes it worked, and 26 times (INTs) it was a disaster.
First off.....Cutler's 26 INT's weren't all downfield. I would say most are in the 5 to 15 yard variety.
:thumbup: Just like his INT last night, which was only about 5 yards downfield. Cutler is just not very good at reading defenses or the field.

I feel exactly how I felt when I drafted him - Somewhat high risk, very high reward, inconsistent week to week player. If you are in a league where, for whatever reason, you need solid points every week from your QB, he is not your guy. If you are in a league where you can absorb a bad week here or there and/or games are won more from having enough players go off, then Cutler fits the mold.

For example, I have him in a two QB league , -2 for interceptions but +6 for TDs. There will be weeks where Cutler is a key reason I win in that league. Others when he will, like last night, get single digits (occasionally in the negative). However, most teams in that league make the playoffs - Ill take the weekly bonus for highest score that will happen when he goes off and when playoff time comes, either trade him before, have a third QB to use if its a bad matchup, or hope like hell.

Cutler is cutler - in martz' system his upside is higher than ever, but he does have game to game risk. How has anything changed?

(though, could you imagine if he had a LFitz type to occasionally throw it deep, or anywhere, and know it will end up in the right hands?)

I'm not sure how much of last night's game can be attributed to Cutler and the O-line and how much can be attributed to an inflexible game plan. From what I saw of the game, Cutler was holding onto the ball too long. Yes, the O-line looked aweful, but you can't hold the ball for six seconds and not expect to get pounded. The Bears should have adjusted their schemes to a shorter passing game and tried to run the ball a bit more. I'm not saying it would have helped them much (their run game was a loss), but the combination of qucker passes and more runs would have protected their QB more. Cutler was a punching bag out there.

Every year the Cutler lovers have a different excuse for him.

When do you think this super talented QB will have his first winning season?

Oh good god. 'Fire in his eyes'? Where does that show up on the scouting report? Embers per second? This is silly homerism talk. Every QB wants to win, they've been playing football all their lives and probably winning most of the time.
Not Cutler, he does not have a winning season in the pros or in college.

Every year Packers fans hate on Bears players....

Aaron Rodgers 84/122 68.9% 940 yards 8td/ 5INT 96.3 QB Rating

Jay Cutler 68/102 66.7% 912 yards 6td/ 3INT 102.2

Move Along...

Move Along...
Still basing it only on this season huh?Rodgers is the better QB...and he will continue to prove that over and over and over again.

Move Along...
As long as you are happy with him that is all that counts but the guy is not a winner and his college and pro records prove that. Are you saying only Packer fans can see that? I think everyone sees that except a few Bear fans.

Users who are viewing this thread