What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (2 Viewers)

Cutler needs a big sure handed WR which he does not have right now. He has no fear throwing the ball and expects his guy to just make plays. Fact is that the Bears have 2-3 WR2's and no true WR1; maybe if they did then a couple of the drops from tonight dont happen and maybe the Bears win. As for the "3 of the 5 INT's were not his fault" comment(arguable) but lets say that's true, he still was responsible for 2 including 1 that could of been the difference of the win. Cutler costed them the game tonight. period.

3 OF 5 WERE NOT HIS FAULT!!!
Maybe, but that last one was one of the worst balls ever thrown.
In fairness, he was being pressured on both sides by LB's flying at him, throwing into a 20 yard field, at a point in the game where he doesn't necessarily know that he can get another down out of it (though had he thrown it away he prolly has 1-2 seconds on the clock. That over all the others was an "acceptable time" to throw an int vs taking a sack, cuz you are taking a chance when it might be your last play to win the game.The Play action toss into quintuple coverage is the one that made me :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
I still feel fine about Cutler. I feel the line protecting him is beyond horrible and that the the wr's he has are low end 2 or 3 on any other team in the NFL.

What was he supposed to do? Olsen got zero seperation and he was about to get crushed. Hard to thread it through 4 defenders. :thumbdown:
throw it out of the end zone and run another play? of course, if he throws the one away in the first half, too, they get a fG, then he gets a FG to win the game and the bears win 12-10.

There is no worse word in football than rebuilding. Everyone rebuilds every year....what does rebuilding mean anyways? Only one team won the SB last year and only one will his year....every one else is rebuilding I guess. Are the Cards rebuilding this year? What about the Steelers? Considering teams go from 2 wins to playoffs (see Dolphins or Falcons last year) and teams go from SB participants to missing the playoffs completely the next year, maybe you should realize that everyone rebuilds every year or no one does. I expected the Bears to contend for the playoffs this year. They are still in the race for that in a weak NFC, but now they will have to beat Philly next week and rack up a few more wins besides the Rams and Lions. I expected the OL to be better this year and that has definitely been a disappointment this year. I expected the WRs to be worse and they have actually played better....
:goodposting: I think you're misunderstanding, you suggested the Bears were rebuilding, I was the one saying that the Bears and Cutler kinda suck. So I guess we agree.

In Chi's 5 losses Cutler has thrown 15 INTs, 3 per game. In Chi's 4 wins Cutler has thrown 2 INTs, 0.5 per game. Yet still so many people will minimize the effect of turning the ball over. :goodposting:

This is a pathetic organization that now has an overrated QB. 5 INTs 19 on the year. One can split hairs all they want about these picks but the red zone picks are a disgrace. He pulled this nonsense in the Falcon game and then he did it again last night. When you take a 12 plus play drive down to the 2 and throw a pass into nothing but red and gold uniforms- you are just a pathetic team. Welcome to the team Jay!

Bear fans can blame the OL- yes they are bad.

Bear fans can blame the receivers- yes they are green and very average

Bear fans can blame the OC- he lacks imagination and calls head scratching plays at pivotal times of the game

Bear fans can blame the head coach- he is the leader of a team that is not well coached

Bear fans can blame the GM who is just another blabbering NFL politician

But to watch that train wreck of a game last night and to see Jay Cutler throw 5 picks 2 in the red zone both at critical times of the game (the first one that just sucked the life out of any confidence the offense had and the second one to lose the game) is indicative of how far out of NFL reality the entire organization is and Red Zone Jay fits right in.

This is a bad organization folks and they are going to use the Chicago media to sucker Bear fans into believing that this is just a rebuilding year. They will not say rebuilding directly. They will dance around the stink and lie lie lie to the fans that they have a franchise QB and that they are improving.

They are going to go look at the film. This was Lovie Smith and Franchise Jay's response after the game. Thy are going to look at the FILM! You just lost to an abysmal team where penalty after penalty killed drives but then gave your team a chance to win the game. However, you march down the field and throw that pick in the red zone. Red zone picks in two NFC games that cost you conference wins. No wins. No fun. No playoffs! No orange whip! Pack it up and get ready for the draft. Ohhhh the train wreck continues. We have no 1st and 2nd round picks for the 2010 NFL draft. So where- pray tell is the big handed stud receiver going to come from? Where is the plug going to come from for that stink ### Swiss cheese of an OL? You think the Bears are going to sign a stud WR free agent? Not a chance. They use that money to get washed up OL men and damaged BU RBs. Two years in a row without a real NFL BU QB. The Chicago Bears take special team players and defensive backs and they use the Midas touch to turn them into "quality" NFL receivers and then they just lie to the fans when it all blows up.

They are going to run Forte and Cutler into the ground. They will blame injuries and the OC on this one. This will be the hand they will play. Turner might as well make retirement plans. Lying Lovie is not going anywhere. GM Jerry is not going to eat Lying Lovie's contract. And speaking of GM Jerry- I think his shenanigans are going to be around for several more years. Hired by Ted Phillips who knows more about accounting than football.

So Jay, welcome to the organization! The fans will pack the stadium. They will pay for the beer. They will buy the Bear jerseys. Lying Lovie will spit out his nonsense. GM Jerry will work his draft day magic and you will throw ridiculous picks in the red zone. You fit right in guy. You should have just kept your trap shut drank your scotch in Denver and you would have had the best chance to win. I can hardly blame you for signing that extension here. Why with the wisdom of the organization- they paid you millions without really having you earn it so you did win. Charming! Your Chicago Bears! Your franchise QB- Red Zone Jay!

Blah Blah Blah Cutler Blah Blah Blah .....INT Blah Blah O line Blah Blah No WR, Blah

Seriously these posts will go on forever. Nobody cares what anyone else post. What is the point of posting its kind of stupid, people just either refute your response or or give you a :goodposting: sign. we are so idotic.

BTW Cutler is a Stubborn great athlete unwilling to adjust to reality that everyone on his team sucks, which makes him kind of football ######ed too.
Lance Briggs doesn't suck. Thank God for Lance Briggs.

Lance Briggs doesn't suck. Thank God for Lance Briggs.
:mellow: He was all over the place last night and made very play it seemed he could.For what its worth, if Orton was the Bears QB last night, they would have won the game.Cutler is having a horrible year and even if the rest of the offense is bad, it is no excuse for this depth of bad play. I am still good with the trade as of this point, but the hope is Cutler is a much much different QB next year. I am not asking for the best decision maker in the world, but he has been horrible so far and he hasn't been this bad at any point in his career prior.

My trading of Cutler and Harvin for Romo is looking better all the time in my re-draft league.

I just could not get comfortable with Cutler in my lineup. He is limited in his targets ( Forte and Olsen) no WRs.

The O line is awful & he has the habit of trying to fit the ball between too many defenders.

Give him a good line and a good set of receivers and he is a top 10 QB, not this year however.

Glad I traded for Romo

There is no worse word in football than rebuilding. Everyone rebuilds every year....what does rebuilding mean anyways? Only one team won the SB last year and only one will his year....every one else is rebuilding I guess. Are the Cards rebuilding this year? What about the Steelers? Considering teams go from 2 wins to playoffs (see Dolphins or Falcons last year) and teams go from SB participants to missing the playoffs completely the next year, maybe you should realize that everyone rebuilds every year or no one does. I expected the Bears to contend for the playoffs this year. They are still in the race for that in a weak NFC, but now they will have to beat Philly next week and rack up a few more wins besides the Rams and Lions. I expected the OL to be better this year and that has definitely been a disappointment this year. I expected the WRs to be worse and they have actually played better....
:confused: I think you're misunderstanding, you suggested the Bears were rebuilding, I was the one saying that the Bears and Cutler kinda suck. So I guess we agree.
No, he didn't suggest that. He suggested that getting Cutler was a move intended to improve the Bears for a long time, not just this year. That is not implying that the Bears intended this as a rebuilding year. The OL is probably league worst, the receivers are suspect at best, and the defense is mediocre. You really think if you put Orton on that team, they would be doing better? The Bears didn't intend this to be a rebuilding year, but they just didn't improve their team like they thought they did, obviously. Cutler is a clear upgrade, but they got worse in many areas. The team lost multiple starters on an already suspect OL and replaced them with CFL players. They did not add a real NFL starting WR, and did not add anyone to improve their weak DL or secondary. Their DL does not generate pressure on its own, exposing a secondary full of Tillman and a bunch of guys that wouldn't make many NFL teams. They didn't do enough to put out a winning football team, period.

Cutler is great, but he cannot literally do everything on his own. He's obviously trying to, which is not helping matters, but he is the least of the Bears concerns. Three of those INTs were pretty hard to pin on Cutler, and he's had about 7 more this year that involved WRs running the wrong route, cutting off routes inexplicably with the ball in the air, falling down, making no play on the ball, etc. Of course, he's also scrambling for his life every play. It's pretty easy to see why he's throwing far more INTs than he ever has before. Even if you cannot admit that his WR corps and OL has been killing him all year in the turnover department, and want to blame all of the offensive woes on him, you have to admit there are several games that the Bears were still competitive in or won solely because of Cutler's arm. Those are the games that Orton, and many other QBs, would have no chance at winning with this team.

The Bears didn't intend on being in rebuilding mode, but they might be now. If they do, Cutler is one of the few pieces worth building around.

What was he supposed to do? Olsen got zero seperation and he was about to get crushed. Hard to thread it through 4 defenders. :confused:
LOL. What was he supposed to do?!? Throw it away and live for another play...Thats just the type of attitude that will keep him sucking for as long as he plays in this league...

also, people repeating 3 out of 5 weren't his fault are not realizing the fact that the other 2 were from inside the 10, and if he played it smart, they could have walked away with 2 fgs at the very least and a win. So he could have had 8 others last night that weren't his fault, but the 2 that were still cost them the game. He has an uncanny ability to blow up in the redzone, which is worse than anything else. You have points in front of you, you take them. Take the 3, if nothing else is there. Its all about winning, and you win by scoring more points than the other team. Turnovers inside the 10 yard line cause you to not score points...

I would rather have Orton and the draft choices. We should have known this guy was a loser when he was worried about Cassel taking his job.

This is a pathetic organization that now has an overrated QB. 5 INTs 19 on the year. One can split hairs all they want about these picks but the red zone picks are a disgrace. He pulled this nonsense in the Falcon game and then he did it again last night. When you take a 12 plus play drive down to the 2 and throw a pass into nothing but red and gold uniforms- you are just a pathetic team. Welcome to the team Jay!Bear fans can blame the OL- yes they are bad.Bear fans can blame the receivers- yes they are green and very averageBear fans can blame the OC- he lacks imagination and calls head scratching plays at pivotal times of the gameBear fans can blame the head coach- he is the leader of a team that is not well coachedBear fans can blame the GM who is just another blabbering NFL politicianBut to watch that train wreck of a game last night and to see Jay Cutler throw 5 picks 2 in the red zone both at critical times of the game (the first one that just sucked the life out of any confidence the offense had and the second one to lose the game) is indicative of how far out of NFL reality the entire organization is and Red Zone Jay fits right in. This is a bad organization folks and they are going to use the Chicago media to sucker Bear fans into believing that this is just a rebuilding year. They will not say rebuilding directly. They will dance around the stink and lie lie lie to the fans that they have a franchise QB and that they are improving.They are going to go look at the film. This was Lovie Smith and Franchise Jay's response after the game. Thy are going to look at the FILM! You just lost to an abysmal team where penalty after penalty killed drives but then gave your team a chance to win the game. However, you march down the field and throw that pick in the red zone. Red zone picks in two NFC games that cost you conference wins. No wins. No fun. No playoffs! No orange whip! Pack it up and get ready for the draft. Ohhhh the train wreck continues. We have no 1st and 2nd round picks for the 2010 NFL draft. So where- pray tell is the big handed stud receiver going to come from? Where is the plug going to come from for that stink ### Swiss cheese of an OL? You think the Bears are going to sign a stud WR free agent? Not a chance. They use that money to get washed up OL men and damaged BU RBs. Two years in a row without a real NFL BU QB. The Chicago Bears take special team players and defensive backs and they use the Midas touch to turn them into "quality" NFL receivers and then they just lie to the fans when it all blows up. They are going to run Forte and Cutler into the ground. They will blame injuries and the OC on this one. This will be the hand they will play. Turner might as well make retirement plans. Lying Lovie is not going anywhere. GM Jerry is not going to eat Lying Lovie's contract. And speaking of GM Jerry- I think his shenanigans are going to be around for several more years. Hired by Ted Phillips who knows more about accounting than football. So Jay, welcome to the organization! The fans will pack the stadium. They will pay for the beer. They will buy the Bear jerseys. Lying Lovie will spit out his nonsense. GM Jerry will work his draft day magic and you will throw ridiculous picks in the red zone. You fit right in guy. You should have just kept your trap shut drank your scotch in Denver and you would have had the best chance to win. I can hardly blame you for signing that extension here. Why with the wisdom of the organization- they paid you millions without really having you earn it so you did win. Charming! Your Chicago Bears! Your franchise QB- Red Zone Jay!
Very - :coffee: It has to be hard to be a Bears fan. Their defense finally plays a really good game & Cutler has a big time stinker of a game.

This is a pathetic organization that now has an overrated QB. 5 INTs 19 on the year. One can split hairs all they want about these picks but the red zone picks are a disgrace. He pulled this nonsense in the Falcon game and then he did it again last night. When you take a 12 plus play drive down to the 2 and throw a pass into nothing but red and gold uniforms- you are just a pathetic team. Welcome to the team Jay!Bear fans can blame the OL- yes they are bad.Bear fans can blame the receivers- yes they are green and very averageBear fans can blame the OC- he lacks imagination and calls head scratching plays at pivotal times of the gameBear fans can blame the head coach- he is the leader of a team that is not well coachedBear fans can blame the GM who is just another blabbering NFL politicianBut to watch that train wreck of a game last night and to see Jay Cutler throw 5 picks 2 in the red zone both at critical times of the game (the first one that just sucked the life out of any confidence the offense had and the second one to lose the game) is indicative of how far out of NFL reality the entire organization is and Red Zone Jay fits right in. This is a bad organization folks and they are going to use the Chicago media to sucker Bear fans into believing that this is just a rebuilding year. They will not say rebuilding directly. They will dance around the stink and lie lie lie to the fans that they have a franchise QB and that they are improving.They are going to go look at the film. This was Lovie Smith and Franchise Jay's response after the game. Thy are going to look at the FILM! You just lost to an abysmal team where penalty after penalty killed drives but then gave your team a chance to win the game. However, you march down the field and throw that pick in the red zone. Red zone picks in two NFC games that cost you conference wins. No wins. No fun. No playoffs! No orange whip! Pack it up and get ready for the draft. Ohhhh the train wreck continues. We have no 1st and 2nd round picks for the 2010 NFL draft. So where- pray tell is the big handed stud receiver going to come from? Where is the plug going to come from for that stink ### Swiss cheese of an OL? You think the Bears are going to sign a stud WR free agent? Not a chance. They use that money to get washed up OL men and damaged BU RBs. Two years in a row without a real NFL BU QB. The Chicago Bears take special team players and defensive backs and they use the Midas touch to turn them into "quality" NFL receivers and then they just lie to the fans when it all blows up. They are going to run Forte and Cutler into the ground. They will blame injuries and the OC on this one. This will be the hand they will play. Turner might as well make retirement plans. Lying Lovie is not going anywhere. GM Jerry is not going to eat Lying Lovie's contract. And speaking of GM Jerry- I think his shenanigans are going to be around for several more years. Hired by Ted Phillips who knows more about accounting than football. So Jay, welcome to the organization! The fans will pack the stadium. They will pay for the beer. They will buy the Bear jerseys. Lying Lovie will spit out his nonsense. GM Jerry will work his draft day magic and you will throw ridiculous picks in the red zone. You fit right in guy. You should have just kept your trap shut drank your scotch in Denver and you would have had the best chance to win. I can hardly blame you for signing that extension here. Why with the wisdom of the organization- they paid you millions without really having you earn it so you did win. Charming! Your Chicago Bears! Your franchise QB- Red Zone Jay!
this is a high quality rant. Well done.

I'm wondering which ones weren't his fault. The one to Hester was thrown directly to the defender. Had Hester not fallen down, it might have still been an interception. At the very least, it would have been a 50/50 ball. Josh Morgan fell down on a route later in the game and it was nowhere near an interception. You still have to throw the ball where only your receiver has a chance to catch it.

Thank you Bears for signing Cutlersigned Minnesota Vikings
And what will the Vikings do after they do not win the SB again this year and do not have a QB again next year? 3 of the 5 ints today were not Cutler's fault. The issues with the Bears are with the OL and the secondary. Losing Urlacher has obviously hurt the D too. Much easier to fix those issues than find a QB in this league. You should know; your Vikings had every part of the team covered except QB and they could not get anywhere without that position filled. The Saints will easily beat the Vikings this year if it gets to that....then what will your team do next year? Back to Tavaris Jackson?
:bitter:
Not really. The acquisition of Cutler by the Bears was not just for this year. It was for the next decade Give him a decent OL and then you will see what happens. I expected this to be a year for the O to sync up with Cutler anyways. I am pleased that Hester, Knox and Bennett have all progressed this year. So hopefully if the Bears fix the OL some this off season, then with Urlacher back next year, I expect a playoff year. With Orton the Bears would be winless right now probably ....
Absolutely. There aren't many holes on the Bears team right now, and those will all be fixed through the draft, I am sure. How many picks do you guys have again next year? I'm sure it's plenty enough. :scared: If not, then at least there are other smart FA pickups like Pace. Or maybe you could trade more 1st round picks for "studs". I'm sure the team will be fine.

I'm wondering which ones weren't his fault. The one to Hester was thrown directly to the defender. Had Hester not fallen down, it might have still been an interception. At the very least, it would have been a 50/50 ball. Josh Morgan fell down on a route later in the game and it was nowhere near an interception. You still have to throw the ball where only your receiver has a chance to catch it.
Cutler 'the gambler' is quite comfortable with 50/50 balls. He's a gun slinger, A MAVERICK!

Genuine excuses for three of the four picks. Chicago is a rubbish football team and Cutler is not the reason why.
Id say an excuse for 2 of them really.People can say the one was interference...but he ran right to the ball and hit as the ball got there. The WR had no effort...but it was a poor throw.I will give him a break on the one where Hester fell and the one where Hester got himself rubbed by the official (that sounds funny).

Cutler 'the gambler' is quite comfortable with 50/50 balls. He's a gun slinger, A MAVERICK!
Brett Favre is a future hall of famer and has thrown 6 picks in the playoffs.

I would rather have Orton and the draft choices. We should have known this guy was a loser when he was worried about Cassel taking his job.
The Cutler trade does not bother me as much as the Gaines Adams trade.That is going to be a high 2nd round pick. When Angelo made that trade (I think they were 3-1 at the time) he must have thought Bears would be at mid second round at best. Talk about bad talent evaluation - I can understand when the fans and the media get caught up with a 3-1 record, but the GM should know better. What makes it worse is that he already traded the first round pick next year, which IMO makes that 2nd more valuable.I mean how many crappy DE's do you need? Mark Anderson makes me sick - has not done anything since rookie year but is out there celebrating tackles 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.To throw 5 int's against a banged up secondary is atrocious. I still like Cutler, but he needs some help.

Chicago Quarterback fun facts:In 8 games Jay Cutler has had just as many interceptions as Kyle Orton had ALL of last season. Today in his 9th game, he threw 5 more. Raising his tally to 17 on the year. I'm so happy we have a franchise Quarterback. :goodposting:On a similar note. Rex Grossman only maxed out at 20 INTS in a season. (Granted he took us to the Super Bowl that year.) Cutler is on pace to nearly DOUBLE Grossman's INT numbers.
So was I unfair to Grossman when I said Cutler has been sort of Grossman like this year?Look...he is a supremely talented guy...but he makes bad bad bad decisions.

Thank you Bears for signing Cutlersigned Minnesota Vikings
And what will the Vikings do after they do not win the SB again this year and do not have a QB again next year? 3 of the 5 ints today were not Cutler's fault. The issues with the Bears are with the OL and the secondary. Losing Urlacher has obviously hurt the D too. Much easier to fix those issues than find a QB in this league. You should know; your Vikings had every part of the team covered except QB and they could not get anywhere without that position filled. The Saints will easily beat the Vikings this year if it gets to that....then what will your team do next year? Back to Tavaris Jackson?
:bitter:
Hey...Im shocked he even showed up after that loss.A loss that against a team with a good offense would have been by about 3 scores.2 of the 5 INTs were not his fault...Im not giving him credit for the one where some will complain it was PI. It was a bad throw and the receiver also made a poor effort. Still a bad throw.

Its redundent at this point.You like him....or you don't.I would rather have a guy taking a chance, than taking a sack.
Hmm...id rather have a QB take a sack then give the other team the ball in the redzone.
You'll both have to live with teams that are 4-5 after this weekend, doesn't make much difference. Good QBs on bad teams who aren't capable of drafting well to support them. One team hordes their picks and refuses to trade for anyone, the other is practically donating their picks to the Salvation army.

The Cutler trade does not bother me as much as the Gaines Adams trade.That is going to be a high 2nd round pick. When Angelo made that trade (I think they were 3-1 at the time) he must have thought Bears would be at mid second round at best. Talk about bad talent evaluation - I can understand when the fans and the media get caught up with a 3-1 record, but the GM should know better. What makes it worse is that he already traded the first round pick next year, which IMO makes that 2nd more valuable.

I mean how many crappy DE's do you need? Mark Anderson makes me sick - has not done anything since rookie year but is out there celebrating tackles 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

To throw 5 int's against a banged up secondary is atrocious. I still like Cutler, but he needs some help.
....with not locking on to Olsen in the Red Zone, reading Ds and making better decisions. This guy is OVERRATED, Howitzer arm, Derringer brain.

I won't pile on Cutler, but I do have a question for Bears fans.

How bad did it sting watching Singletary on the opposing sideline in that loss?

The Bears could certainly use a good coach. I'm sure there's not a more beloved, living former Bear than Singletary. Someone who knows better than anyone how to play Chicago Bears football.

Last night seemed like a rough night all-around. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Actually, I have another question: Would you trade Culter/Lovie for Singletary/Alex Smith straight up?

switz said:
I just want someone to explain to me how the Bears got significantly worse in the offseason... they stayed pretty set on D, they "upgraded" their OL, they drafted receiving threats, their rookies form last year developed, and they signed a "franchise" QB......and they suck.Last year it was "all" the QBs fault.... :rolleyes:
They relied on Orlando Pace to be this "upgrade" to their Oline.That and a 2nd year player but really first year starter in Chris Williams (who I think will be very good...but right now he is average at best).And the signing of a guy from Tennessee Tech (yes, I went there so its really funny to me).Between starting one guy from Tennessee Tech and 3 guys from Vanderbilt on offense, why would anyone expect them to be good? :D Basically, their Oline is not good...their WRs while young and talented and up and coming...just are not helping them out that much. The defense right now is really just kind of average (played very well last night though).

bcr8f said:
p00h said:
BuckeyeArt said:
Yup...but he generally threw more TDs and did much more good than bad...the same cannot yet be said for Cutler.

it's becoming apparent to me that Cutler is basically a a hot-headed, bad decision making, strong arm.

Why is it that whenever Cutler throws an INT, I wonder if the Great Gazoo comes from the Flintstones and floats besides him and says "Why did you throw that one, dumb-dumb?"

Even as a Bronco, always thought Cutler was one dumb QB, very aloof, doesn't care. Hence the leadership questions. Did you see him yesterday? Did he even care? The problem is this kid thinks he's way better than he his. What most of the NFL sees is somebody who has the talent to be great, but not yet there. He sees himself as great right now. It's like Dungy said, he'll never be a Brady and Manning because he doesn't have the intangibles.

Just look at his quotes after the game last night:

"It was tough. I have to apologize to the defense," he said. "I think the offense as a whole has to apologize. They played a great game and kept us in there even through all the turnovers." -actually you should be the only one apologizing Jay

"I've played Thursday games before and been successful," Cutler said. "It didn't affect us. We saw everything coming. They didn't have any surprises for us. We just didn't execute." -actually Jay you were the main culprit on poor execution

I was one of the Bronco fans that was very disappointed that Cutler didn't get a chance to run McDaniel's offense, but I now see what McDaniels saw. Cutler is just too stupid to run that offense. It requires a ton of reads pre-snap and smart decisions, not just a laser rocket arm with no sense.

If he never learns to throw the ball away when there is nothing there, he may as well just go away now. Fortunately that can be taught. Not sure he can grasp it but if he does, he will be fine. If not, he will continue his INT laden performances.

I'm starting to wonder if the Bears will ruin cutler. Between the turn-style OL, sub-par WR's, unimaginative coordinator and a no-name QB coach to bring him back up after a poor performance, cutler has zero support whatsoever. If the season continues like it has the past few games, cutlers confidence could be shot, and he could start to turtle up. (on the other hand, that's probably what he needs - less confidence could mean taking better care of the ball).

Bears Fans> is cutler showing any signs of becoming gun-shy, and bailing on plays early? I didn't watch the whole game, but notice that SF had zero sacks - is cutler making rushed throws into coverage in the face of pressure?

I'm starting to wonder if the Bears will ruin cutler. Between the turn-style OL, sub-par WR's, unimaginative coordinator and a no-name QB coach to bring him back up after a poor performance, cutler has zero support whatsoever. If the season continues like it has the past few games, cutlers confidence could be shot, and he could start to turtle up. (on the other hand, that's probably what he needs - less confidence could mean taking better care of the ball).Bears Fans> is cutler showing any signs of becoming gun-shy, and bailing on plays early? I didn't watch the whole game, but notice that SF had zero sacks - is cutler making rushed throws into coverage in the face of pressure?
Bears focused their offense around Cutler this season. They want the offense to be dynamic ala Colts or Saints and thought the only thing they needed was a QB. They need to transition their offense and stick to what got them to the Superbowl only a couple of years ago. Solid defense, running the ball, solid special teams and not turning the ball over. The threat of a great arm should help with all those.

I watched that game last night and what stood out to me right away is that when the rush is coming, Cutler's first instinct is to throw it up for grabs. Not take the sack. Not throw it out of bounds. Not throw it away near enough to a WR to not get called for grounding. Just wind up and chuck it as hard as he can at the first WR he sees. He had some reckless throws that WEREN'T picked off, too. And as someone said earlier, that throw where Hester fell down, he was well covered.

Welcome back to the NFL Jeff George! :lmao:

bcr8f said:
p00h said:
BuckeyeArt said:
Brett Favre never threw 5 interceptions against a team with a losing record.

IMO all 5 picks were cutlers fault. cutler is struggling with the same stuff that drove me crazy last year in Denver - forcing the ball where he wants to go, regardless of how well covered the receiver is. 4 of 5 picks were caused by this, the other was simply an unlucky bad throw (which happens to all QB's). The problem is that when QB's are pressured, mechanics break down. If you have a clean pocket and have time to set your feet, sometimes you can afford to take the chance to force it and trust your receiver. When you don't have time, bad things happen.

video highlights

pick 1 (0:29): at the goal line, cutler throws off of his back foot, gunning it into a covered Olsen. No significant pressure. This is a textbook example of gunning it to your desired option, regardless of how well he is covered, plus cutlers trust in his arm even off of his back foot.

pcik 2 (0:40): Hester falls down. It appeared that the DB was in good position regardless - obviously, becasue he got the pick. Had Hester kept his feet, the most I could see him do would be bat the ball away from the DB, but we all know that really isn't his game - Hester's not a "fight for the ball guy". cutler had some pressure in his face, but had time to plant his feet. Again, he's gunning it and trusting his arm to force the ball where he wants to go, despite coverage.

pick 3 (1:14): this is where the receiver runs into the official. This is not a timing route disrupted by the ref. The receiver runs a square in, and then sits in the hole in the zone. Unfortunately, the ref is in the same hole. cutler is under duress, steps up and throws w/o setting his feet. The pass is 2-3 yards away from the receiver, and lands in the hands of the DB. Receiver was open, poor throw. he was unlucky here in that a defender happened to be in the spot where his errant throw went.

pick 4 (1:31): under pressure, cuter steps up, and without planting his feet throws into single coverage. Not sure what to say about that - poor choice to gun it into a covered receiver.

pick 5 (1:53): see above.

Last year, cutler drove me bananas because of three issues: forcing the ball through coverage, throwing off of his back foot, and a nonchalant attitude displayed on the sidelines. Forcing the ball: you can get away with that sometimes - it's a risk/reward proposition, and not always bad, depending on game situation. Throwing off of the back foot: your receiver better be wide open because you won't have the accuracy and/or velocity you need to fit the ball into a tiny window.

It appears cutler is making some of the exact same mistakes he has in Denver, but they are magnified because of the OL and WR weaknesses. Unless Chicago can figure out a way to coach cutler into checking down to a safe option, especially under duress, I don't see the situation improving.

Users who are viewing this thread