What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (2 Viewers)

So true. And honestly, I think Cutler will never come close to reaching his full potential unless he works with another like-minded offensive coach like that. He has the tools, but needs to be reigned in and coached HARD.
Good coaching would help, for sure. Getting some timing down would help. Not having Devin Hester getting OJT as his #1 wr would help. I think the perception that Cutler needs to be reigned in comes from the high number of passing attempts again this season, something Jay doesn't control. He is third again in passing attempts this year behind Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. I think Jay Cutler's going to be a great quarterback, but he doesn't need to be throwing as many times in his first year with a new offense, new line, and young, new receivers as Tom Brady is throwing to Moss and Welker. He just doesn't. Jay Cutler doesn't call the plays, though. Maybe Ron Turner needs to be reigned in.

Put in perspective, Cutler is on pace to throw 90 more attempts this year than Troy Aikman had in any season of his career. Do you think that this number of attempts encourages or discourages teams to put six and seven in coverage? If you chose encourage, you are correct. Mixing in a few delay draws and rb screen passes would help, and that is up to Ron Turner and Lovie Smith.
:hophead: Hey Papa Cut, how's your boy stack up against say, Rodgers, in the red zone?

Rodgers 30 TDs 1 INT

Not that the red zone really counts for anything...yardage is KING!
What are the odds VanCutlerManLoveFan comes back with his boy's red zone stats? :goodposting:
While I don't have the redzone stats right in front of me...
Of course you don't; but we'll wait and see if they turn up. :)

not too bad tonite, only 2 INTs. How many of the 2 were his fault is the discussion at hand I suppose. I didn't really watch the game, can anyone elaborate. Obviously the entire team was overmatched, as expected. comp % was pretty solid though...

Obviously the hammering tonight was not entirely his doing, however, as per usual, he didn't really do much to help his team win either I'm assuming...

Guess that means there's not a whole lot new to report on. Still would love to hear opinions, and I'm fairly confident it'll be one of the 4 replay games on NFL network so I'll find out for myself soon enough...

One was batted up in the air and the other was underthrown in the endzone. Bears really seem to have narrowed down their playbook though, I must have seen 10 bubble screens. Definitely trying to keep Cutler from chucking it around the field, for better or worse. When you can't run the ball, can't protect your QB, and pretty much anybody can post 30+ on you, I guess you might as well try to preserve Cutlers health and sanity as much as possible.

Jay Cutler's performance this year is pretty identical to Rex Grossman in 2006 and 2007 with regards to TD/Int ratio, passer rating, yard per attempt, etc.

At some point, the head coach and management needs to take the blame

When you can't run the ball, can't protect your QB, and pretty much anybody can post 30+ on you, I guess you might as well try to preserve Cutlers health and sanity as much as possible.
:goodposting: I have him in a dynasty league and will hold him until next year.I may have to start him next week against STL for the final time this year.

Wow, there's really a thread this long to discuss why Cutler's struggling when he's throwing to a poor set of wide receivers on a team that can't run the ball, can't pass protect, and can't stop teams on defense?

He's got loads of talent, but anyone's confidence will be shaken when he goes into every game knowing that the only chance his team will have to win is if he plays like Superman while also knowing he's not going to get much help from anyone else, especially the offensive line.

He makes his share of mistakes that are his own fault, but most of what I see is a guy who makes a lot of mistakes because he's trying to do too much... his situation dictates that he HAS to do too much though.

so just saw the highlights, another pick in the opposing team's endzone. Good stuff...

Furthermore, regarding his other pick, you can't just discount his picks where balls are bouncing around and what not. Can't say, well that was bounced up in the air, not his fault. Because a lot of those are being bounced around because he's throwing them into spaces where he shouldn't be. And his second pick today was definitely in that category...

so just saw the highlights, another pick in the opposing team's endzone. Good stuff...

Furthermore, regarding his other pick, you can't just discount his picks where balls are bouncing around and what not. Can't say, well that was bounced up in the air, not his fault. Because a lot of those are being bounced around because he's throwing them into spaces where he shouldn't be. And his second pick today was definitely in that category...
My problem with that pass is that it was 2nd and 3 at the time. Why not run the ball? Answer: because they can't. The Bears had 8 designed rushes. 8 - and one of those was with 12 seconds left in the first half on their own 20. Up until that play, the Bears had run 24 plays - 4 of which were runs. Ron Turner's pay calling is horrific. They can't even run play action, because no one will bight anyway. Troy Aikman made a great comment about Cutler not even seeing most of the passes that are caught becuase he' s always on his back. He has no running game, no OL protection, and poor NFL WRs - but other than that he's fine.Has he made bad decisions? Yes. But to blame him for the Bears woes is extremely short-sighted.

He has no running game, no OL protection, and poor NFL WRs
yeah, and when they made that trade I think plenty of people pointed that out.you're a few months late.
As amazing a QB the Cutler camp claims in here, you'd think he would be able to pull off a winning record without a perfect team.... All these excuses.... Last season it was the Def, this season it's everyone on offense but him.... Wow... Quit making excuses and admit he isn't top 5 material....

yeah, and when they made that trade I think plenty of people pointed that out.you're a few months late.
:oWhen they made the trade, the WRs were the point made. The O-line had been decent and some thought the acquisition of Omiyale and Pace would help even more. Forte had been great his rookie season, and NO ONE saw that drop off coming (which is why he went as a top 5 RB in most redraft leagues - and was ranked as such by virtually every "expert"). But thanks for the insight.Again, I am not making excuses for the guy. Simply pointing out what guys like Troy Aikman and other people who know alot more about football and the QB position than I do have said about the situation.

Jay Cutler's performance this year is pretty identical to Rex Grossman in 2006 and 2007 with regards to TD/Int ratio, passer rating, yard per attempt, etc.At some point, the head coach and management needs to take the blame
Cutler = Grossmanlol
Just to follow up on your insightful post :lmao: , here are some Passing stats for the Bears over the past 8 years:
Code:
Year	Wins	Losses	Coach	RK	ATT	COMP	PCT	YDS	YDS/A	LONG	TD	INT	SACK	YDSL	RATE	YDS/G2009	4	7	Lovie Smith	14	406	254	62.6	2526	6.6	68	16	20	24	148	74.3	2302008	9	7	Lovie Smith	21	528	304	57.6	3061	6.1	65	20	14	29	168	77.1	1912007	7	9	Lovie Smith	15	569	327	57.5	3362	6.5	81	18	21	43	339	72.2	2102006	13	3	Lovie Smith	14	514	282	54.9	3281	6.7	75	24	22	25	165	73.5	2052005	11	5	Lovie Smith	31	418	219	52.4	2002	5.3	54	11	15	31	199	61.5	1252004	5	11	Lovie Smith	32	471	249	52.9	2192	5.6	63	9	16	66	449	61.7	1372003	7	9	**** Jauron	30	515	271	52.6	2617	5.6	61	12	20	43	288	61	1642002	4	12	**** Jauron	24	543	310	57.1	3051	6.1	76	22	18	44	265	74.8	191
To me, these stats indicate that Lovie Smith improved the situation from **** Jauron but overall the passing efficiency has pretty much been the same for the last 4 years and the TD/INT ratio is still not good.Again, Sexy Rexy isn't to blame for the Bears' woes, the head coach is.

As amazing a QB the Cutler camp claims in here, you'd think he would be able to pull off a winning record without a perfect team.... All these excuses.... Last season it was the Def, this season it's everyone on offense but him.... Wow... Quit making excuses and admit he isn't top 5 material....
Shh . . . this is my favorite part of the week. The Cutlerettes have a blind devotion to their guy that I have not seen since the Jim Jones days.

Wow, there's really a thread this long to discuss why Cutler's struggling when he's throwing to a poor set of wide receivers on a team that can't run the ball, can't pass protect, and can't stop teams on defense?He's got loads of talent, but anyone's confidence will be shaken when he goes into every game knowing that the only chance his team will have to win is if he plays like Superman while also knowing he's not going to get much help from anyone else, especially the offensive line.He makes his share of mistakes that are his own fault, but most of what I see is a guy who makes a lot of mistakes because he's trying to do too much... his situation dictates that he HAS to do too much though.
I don't really agree with this being the receivers' fault at all. Earl Bennett has caught most any pass that is catchable and Hester and Knox have provided explosive plays; Olsen has played well. On that INT in the red zone Cutler underthrew Knox. That was all Cutler.I do think coaching and OL deserve some blame because they don't even offer the pretense of a running game and give up on it in the first quarter and the OL doesn't protect Cutler well. But the bottom line is that Cutler is playing like a very average or even below average QB this season and it isn't the receivers--they are a pleasant surprise.

The Cutlerettes have a blind devotion to their guy that I have not seen since the Jim Jones days.
:( :lmao: I have defended Cutler a lot of the past year, but even I have to admit that he has not played well the last month or so. He is trying to do too much and is making too many bad decisions and bad mistakes. His play has regressed. He was not this mediocre in Denver. He needs coaching and a serious mental overhaul if he is ever gonna turn the corner and become the QB that many of us think he can be.

From a fantasy perspective, it's beyond sad that Cutler probably isn't even startable week 13 vs the Rams... Never would've thought that a couple months ago.

Cutler is playing very poorly, no question. There are a bare handful of QBs in the NFL that can produce without a running game and without good blocking, and Cutler isn't one of them. Cutler is hardly the first jeckyl and hyde QB depending on what he has to work with. Anybody remember some of the darker Kurt Warner years?

With the chatter that Kubiak may be out in Houston at the end of the year, I can't think of a better guy to take the coordinator gig should Lovie Smith stay.

Good coaching would help, for sure. Getting some timing down would help. Not having Devin Hester getting OJT as his #1 wr would help.

I think the perception that Cutler needs to be reigned in comes from the high number of passing attempts again this season, something Jay doesn't control. He is third again in passing attempts this year behind Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. I think Jay Cutler's going to be a great quarterback, but he doesn't need to be throwing as many times in his first year with a new offense, new line, and young, new receivers as Tom Brady is throwing to Moss and Welker. He just doesn't. Jay Cutler doesn't call the plays, though. Maybe Ron Turner needs to be reigned in.

Put in perspective, Cutler is on pace to throw 90 more attempts this year than Troy Aikman had in any season of his career. Do you think that this number of attempts encourages or discourages teams to put six and seven in coverage? If you chose encourage, you are correct. Mixing in a few delay draws and rb screen passes would help, and that is up to Ron Turner and Lovie Smith.
:hophead: Hey Papa Cut, how's your boy stack up against say, Rodgers, in the red zone?

Rodgers 30 TDs 1 INT

Not that the red zone really counts for anything...yardage is KING!
What are the odds VanCutlerManLoveFan comes back with his boy's red zone stats? :confused:
While I don't have the redzone stats right in front of me...
Of course you don't; but we'll wait and see if they turn up. :lmao:
VandyCutlerFanatic, don't forget yesterday's game when you finish up with your numbers. Thanks a bunch. :thumbup: As for Rodgers, he now has something like 35 TDs in the redzone, with one INT. ONE.

Seriously, are there people still defending his performance this year? As a Broncos fan, I was sad to see him go. He may have the talent but is there REALLY any question that he's made some HORRIBLE decisions this year? The number of red zone picks especially is completely unacceptable. Even if you have no receivers throw the ball away. Some of his throws had ZERO percent chance of being caught by his receivers, and I don't care if he'd had T.O. and Randy Moss on those plays. Why can't people admit that he's made some horrible plays? It doesn't mean he can't recover and become the QB you all hope him to be, especially since you're stuck with him after that contract they gave him. But at least man up and admit when he performs badly as he has for most of this year.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....far-enough.html

Urlacher's hit on Cutler didn't go far enough

Jay Cutler, loser.

That seems to be the conclusion drawn from Brian Urlacher’s comments to Yahoo! as he watched Sunday’s pathetic surrender in Minnesota as helplessly and with as much disgust as you did.

There’s no reason to think Urlacher wasn’t expressing honest feelings. There’s no reason to think he was misquoted. There’s also no reason to think Urlacher won’t have a lot of lying to do today after saying this:

“Look, I love Jay, and I understand he’s a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him. But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we’d rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth.”

There are some other interesting parts of the piece --- Urlacher wants Bears coach Lovie Smith to stick around, one of his ex-girlfriends gets three seconds in a beer commercial --- but that quote was the bomb, only the latest misery in the Bears’ death spiral.

First of all, that quote takes us back to last summer when Bobby Wade, the Vikings receiver and former Bear, told a Minnesota radio station that Urlacher called Cutler was a naughty word for female genitalia after Cutler cried his way out of Denver and threatened to hold his breath until until he turned orange and blue. Urlacher, of course, denied saying it. That was just Wade messin’ with everybody, he said. Gosh, no, Urlacher loves Cutler, he told us. Blah, blah, blah. Lie, lie, lie.

The truth came out first, then the spin followed. Just like you can expect now. You watch, we’ll get some stuff shoveled at us. The Bears will try to play everyone for suckers the way they have pretty much played this season. It’ll be a lovefest at Halas Hall. It’ll be a lie, sure, but it’ll be a lovefest.

As for the part of the quote about the change in identity --- that’s wrong for so many reasons. First, this is a passing league. The NFL has legislated defense out of the league.

But second, and this is most damning, the Bears don’t have an identity. The head coach-for-now says the Bears are still a running team. But they gave up the run shortly after landing in Minneapolis. So, you’d think the Bears were a passing team. But no. They don’t have any pass plays in the playbook once they call the wide receiver screen that they can’t execute and the throw-and-pray sideline pattern.

And another thing, Urlacher is wrong about the defense. It cannot defend a good team. Heck, half the time it cannot defend a bad team. The Bears haven’t beaten a team that now has a winning record since the second week of the season. In the meantime, it has been destroyed, blown up, humiliated and left for dead by good teams, of which the Bears believed they were one. They lied about that like they will lie about Urlacher’s comment on Cutler today. They stink. Pick a phase of Lovie Smith’s defense, and they stink, most especially in the red zone and on third down.

The Bears have shown little pride. They have displayed little character. And no one has gotten fired. And now an injured player who used to be the face of the franchise is back to killing the new face of the franchise, adding the description of loser to his earlier description of, uh, soft.

Pillory Urlacher if you’d like. Defend Cutler, if you want. But here’s the problem with Urlacher’s quote: It’s not the conclusion that Cutler is a loser, it’s that he didn’t include everybody else in the once-proud franchise in that description. It’s everyone at Halas Hall, it’s all of them in Lake Forest. Starting with the McFamily at the top and right on down the rest of the McJoke organization, the Bears have fallen out of the pathetic tree and are hitting every branch on the way down.

“Look, I love Jay, and I understand he’s a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him. But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we’d rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth."
:goodposting: Lesson to Bears fans... be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

StrikeS2k said:
Seriously, are there people still defending his performance this year? As a Broncos fan, I was sad to see him go. He may have the talent but is there REALLY any question that he's made some HORRIBLE decisions this year? The number of red zone picks especially is completely unacceptable. Even if you have no receivers throw the ball away. Some of his throws had ZERO percent chance of being caught by his receivers, and I don't care if he'd had T.O. and Randy Moss on those plays. Why can't people admit that he's made some horrible plays? It doesn't mean he can't recover and become the QB you all hope him to be, especially since you're stuck with him after that contract they gave him. But at least man up and admit when he performs badly as he has for most of this year.
:shrug: As for Urlacher, there might be some truth to what he is saying, but he is awfully mouthy for a guy who hasn't been much help to his team the last few years because he is always hurt.

“Look, I love Jay, and I understand he’s a great player who can take us a long way, and I still have faith in him. But I hate the way our identity has changed. We used to establish the run and wear teams down and try not to make mistakes, and we’d rely on our defense to keep us in the game and make big plays to put us in position to win. Kyle Orton might not be the flashiest quarterback, but the guy is a winner, and that formula worked for us. I hate to say it, but that’s the truth."
:popcorn: Lesson to Bears fans... be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
The whole team is pretty much in the tank, Kyle Orton still being a Bear wouldn't change anything. They are miles from being able to put a good team on the field. I like Urlacher but he needs to keep his opinions in the locker room. I don't know if he's ticked because he's no longer the face of the franchise or because he knows his skills are diminishing and the end is approaching, but handle it with some class. He needs to focus on his own game.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Urlacher, there might be some truth to what he is saying, but he is awfully mouthy for a guy who hasn't been much help to his team the last few years because he is always hurt.
really?http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/UrlaBr99-2.php
Hmmmm, for some reason, I thought Urlacher had been a lot more injury-prone over the years. I stand corrected. But I still think that is something that Urlacher, a team leader, should keep to himself or at least within the locker room. No good can come from comments like those.

The whole team is pretty much in the tank, Kyle Orton still being a Bear wouldn't change anything.
yeah, wouldn't it change the number of first rounders they have?
Losing a top-10 pick will save some money though.
:confused: I hope that was meant to be funny
I am just trying to find the silver lining for Bear's fans. It was a terrible deal. Signing Cutler to an extension was a terrible deal - trying to mask the first terrible deal.But, it will save them money, and a new GM will have more money to spend on FA, which might be a better use of the money given the number of holes that must be filled. :shrug: if the Bears really want to change their identity - they should hire Weis today and let Lovie focus on defense, and Weis on offense. I just think they are not well suited to be the high-flying offense they want to be. Should spend their money on re-building the defense and offensive lines.Of course, Weis might have the same opinion of Cutler that McDaniels did - that Cutler cannot handle the offensive decisions that need to be made in that offense.

Cutler said he took no offense to Urlacher saying he hates the way the Bears' identity has changed now that Orton is gone.

"He didn't have to apologize to me," Cutler said. "I talked to him, I understand what he's talking about. It's frustrating for everybody in that locker room. . . . I know Brian's frustrated, I'm frustrated, but there's not much we can do."

:towelwave:

LINK

Cutler has the potential to be a current Brady
I would like to put my foot through the internet and kick you in the balls for that.to put this in perspective, cutler has more picks than both off-the-marcus russell and derek anderson, while only 2 fewer than league leading jake delhomme, after coming in only behind pick machine brett favre last year.couple that with 7 fumbles (I believe league leader has 8).orton doesn't have a single pick all year, unless you count the hail mary.cutler currently has only 3 fewer picks in 7 games than tom brady's high for an entire season.
I like how you quote that statement in isolation. I was referring to his ability to scan a defense quickly and make a solid accurate throw anywhere on the field. I then stated that he will never be as good as Brady because of his decision making that leads him to throw the ball in spots that he things he can force it in and he can't.
Cutler is a poor man's Eric Kramer......but with more INTs.

but there's not much we can do.
:goodposting: Gotta love the competitive spirit.
You also gotta love all those threads last summer...just hoardes of posters who knew how bad the Broncos f'd up, and how great Jay was. And then the Urlacher Vegas story being totally dismissed; even though it mad plenty of sense. Writing on the wall everywhere you looked, from Denver to Chicago, but no, FF'ers knew better, and the proof would be in the pudding come fall. :wall: God I love it.

Sinn Fein said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Sinn Fein said:
The whole team is pretty much in the tank, Kyle Orton still being a Bear wouldn't change anything.
yeah, wouldn't it change the number of first rounders they have?
Losing a top-10 pick will save some money though.
:lmao: I hope that was meant to be funny
I am just trying to find the silver lining for Bear's fans. It was a terrible deal. Signing Cutler to an extension was a terrible deal - trying to mask the first terrible deal.But, it will save them money, and a new GM will have more money to spend on FA, which might be a better use of the money given the number of holes that must be filled. :thumbup: if the Bears really want to change their identity - they should hire Weis today and let Lovie focus on defense, and Weis on offense. I just think they are not well suited to be the high-flying offense they want to be. Should spend their money on re-building the defense and offensive lines.Of course, Weis might have the same opinion of Cutler that McDaniels did - that Cutler cannot handle the offensive decisions that need to be made in that offense.
With the uncapped year looming, I'm not sure cap is a big an issue....And even if the agreement is renegotiated and fixed. I think the cap will be addressed along with the rookie contracts....

I've heard rumblings that management and ownership is not pleased with Lovie Smith.

There has been speculation that they may look to reunite Shanahan with Cutler.

I've heard rumblings that management and ownership is not pleased with Lovie Smith.There has been speculation that they may look to reunite Shanahan with Cutler.
Under Lovie the Bears have consistently been outcoached. I also love his challenging of obvious plays costing the team timeouts. Defensive breakdowns have been the norm since the Super Bowl year and the Super Bowl was a great example of Lovie sticking to a failing plan on defense when it is obvious the offense is being successful.This team is married to Cutler now first and foremost. It needs to surround him with whatever is needed. The defense should be trimmed of its veterans where the salary cap would be helped by doing so including Urlacher. Any money then should be spent on the offensive side of the ball on the o-line first and on weapons second. With that wonderfully high 3rd round pick, the Bears should begin taking defensive personnel that fit the next scheme. Lovie needs to be gone as well and a QB and O-Coordinator that will get in Cutler's face and mentor him is first priority.2010 should be looked at as a regrouping year. I hope the organization is willing to eat Lovie's salary and do what is needed. But I have been a Bears fan long enough to not expect any of it to happen.

I've heard rumblings that management and ownership is not pleased with Lovie Smith.There has been speculation that they may look to reunite Shanahan with Cutler.
Under Lovie the Bears have consistently been outcoached. I also love his challenging of obvious plays costing the team timeouts. Defensive breakdowns have been the norm since the Super Bowl year and the Super Bowl was a great example of Lovie sticking to a failing plan on defense when it is obvious the offense is being successful.This team is married to Cutler now first and foremost. It needs to surround him with whatever is needed. The defense should be trimmed of its veterans where the salary cap would be helped by doing so including Urlacher. Any money then should be spent on the offensive side of the ball on the o-line first and on weapons second. With that wonderfully high 3rd round pick, the Bears should begin taking defensive personnel that fit the next scheme. Lovie needs to be gone as well and a QB and O-Coordinator that will get in Cutler's face and mentor him is first priority.2010 should be looked at as a regrouping year. I hope the organization is willing to eat Lovie's salary and do what is needed. But I have been a Bears fan long enough to not expect any of it to happen.
I think if they work hard at it, they've got a shot at being the '08 broncos in a couple years.hire shanahan!

Users who are viewing this thread