What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Beatles (1 Viewer)

saintsfan

Footballguy
Similar to tim's thread of World War II, I would like to start up a thread about the Beatles in advance of 09-09-09 with the release of the Beatles Rock Band and the remastered catalogue.

Like tim, I consider myself to be an amateur expert on the Beatles, so I will try and type up a few posts for you to read and you can comment and ask questions and I'll see if I can do so. Like tim, I'm going to try and go in chronologically. Anyway, here's the first one.

The Early Years

The Beatles story really starts with schoolboys John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison all being friends in Liverpool, England in the late 1950's. John heard Elvis on the radio and from that moment on, he was "lost". His auntie, Mimi, bought him a cheap guitar and his mother, Julia, taught him how to play banjo chords. John was used to being the leader of a gang, so he became leader of a new gang, which was a band he started called the Quarrymen, named after John's school. His best friend Pete Shotton and other of John's friends were also in the band.

Meanwhile, a friend of John named Ivan Vaughn brought a young lad named Paul McCartney to a summer fair to see the Quarrymen play. Paul was a guitarist himself and Ivan thought he and John would get along. Paul goes to this fair and sees a guy up on stage "with a checkered shirt playing these strange banjo chords." Paul was impressed that John had a good voice and he would make up words to the song if he didn't know the real words. After the show, John and Paul met up with each other and John was impressed that Paul could tune a guitar and that Paul could do Eddie Cochrane's "Twenty Flight Rock" and he knew all the words. The next day, John asked Paul to join the band. He said yes.

Paul had a school friend of his named George Harrison who rode the same bus as Paul. They got to talking and both realized that they had common interests in music and in guitars. George, while not perhaps as talented as Paul, worked harder learning how to play and knew more chords and could play fluidly in a way Paul could not yet do. When John heard George play "Raunchy" note for note, John asked George to join and he did.

The Quarrymen had people go in and out of the group, always around the core of John, Paul, and George, so the lineup continuously changed in those years. In 1958, the Quarrymen recorded a disc in a local mom and pop type recording studio. It was recorded straight to disc. The record had "That'll Be The Day" backed with a McCartney written "In Spite of All The Danger" on the flip side. This record was in the possession of John Lowe until 1981 when Paul purchased it from him. It can be heard on the Anthology 1 CD.

Next...Going to Hamburg

Raised on the Beatles and looking forward to the rest of this thread. Nice work so far :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
The record had "That'll Be The Day" backed with a McCartney written "In Spite of All The Danger" on the flip side
Actually a "McCartney-Harrison" composition. The only song ever credited as such.

Most over-rated band in the history of the galaxy.
1st Ed Sullivan appearance to Abbey Road in only 5 1/2 years. Think about that.
Yeah, the musical growth is astounding. That just doesn't happen now and it didn't even happen a lot back then. For example, I love the Stones, but they've sounded the same for the last 40 years, almost. I mean, a few differences. They went a little psychedelic in 1967 and a little disco in the late 70's. The Beatles went from I Want To Hold Your Hand in late 1963 to Strawberry Fields Forever in late 1966/early 1967. Just amazing.

Hamburg

The Quarrymen toiled around Liverpool for a few years, practicing at each other's houses and also at a local hangout called the Casbah Coffee Club, owned by a lady named Mona Best. Mona decided to open this coffee club in the basement of her home. George Harrison, who was playing in a band called the Les Stewart Quartet suggested to Mona that the Quarrymen could play. She said OK, but the Quarrymen should help decorate the club. The club still exists in the same basement in the same house and you can see the artwork of John, Paul, and George still on the wall to this day.

Speaking of art, John Lennon was now in art college and had met someone named Stuart Sutcliffe during his studies. Stuart was a brilliant artist and won a local art contest. With the prize money that Stuart won, John and Paul convinced Stuart to buy a Hofner President bass and join the Quarrymen. Right about this time, the Quarrymen were thinking of changing their name, as John no longer attended Quarry Bank school and it is around this time that legend has it that they performed as the Nurk Twins, Johnny and the Moondogs, and the Rainbows (John, Paul, and George showed up to a show each wearing a different color shirt). John, Paul, Stuart, George, and Cynthia Powell, John's girlfriend, came up with the name Beetles. They were trying to think of a name similar to the Crickets. Beetles was just too strange, so they started calling themselves the Silver Beetles. Later on, they dropped the silver and just started calling themselves The Beatles, with the spelling as a pun for "Beat" music.

In 1960, however, the Beatles manager at the time, a guy named Allan Williams started promoting several local Liverpool groups and were trying to get them booked to play in Hamburg, Germany. Hamburg is infamous for a kind of red light district called the Reeperbahn, a collection of stip clubs, music clubs, and bars in Hamburg. As music was the least of the attractions, they would book cheap talent to go over and play. Nobody fit the description of cheap talent more than the Beatles at this time, so they auditioned and were accepted if they could find a drummer. They had been playing for quite some time with stand-in drummers. At this point, their association with Mona Best paid off as her son, Pete, was a drummer with a band called the Black Jacks and he was willing to go with the Beatles to Hamburg.

When the Beatles arrived in Hamburg, they were shocked at their living conditions. Their living quarters was in the back of the club they playing in called the Indra. It had only a few beds and they had to bathe in the sink. They had to play for like 8 hours a night. The Hamburg crowds were rough and the show was often more important than how the band sounded. The Beatles were encouraged to jump around on stage and yell and scream. Mak show, Beatles, mak show!!!! they would yell up to the band, which meant, make a show. It wasn't unusual for fights to break out. Bar patrons would throw things at the stage and yell at the band. The band quickly improved with the amount of practice they had by having to fill up 8 hours a night. They would play all the songs they knew, then they would have to start playing B sides of those songs they knew, therefore, their repetoire grew quickly and they became tighter. In this Hamburg trip, a guy named Klaus Voorman and a young woman named Astrid Kirchher started hanging out at the Indra and became fascinated with the Beatles. They took the Beatles in and fed them and allowed them to shower at their homes. Astrid took a special liking to Stuart and they began dating. During Beatles sets, Stuart would sometimes sing "Love Me Tender" as Astrid watched from the audience. Other than her love affair with Stuart, Astrid would be important to the Beatles in a couple of other ways. First, Astrid took pictures of the Beatles in the half light, half shadow that would become part of their image later on their early album covers. Second, Astrid wore her hair in a cut that would later become know as the Beatle haircut.

The first Hamburg trip ended badly. The owner of the Indra heard that the Beatles were moonlighting in other clubs on the strip and let it slip to the local authorities that George Harrison was underage. Meanwhile, Paul and Pete were arrested for lighting a condom on fire and hanging it on the concrete walls of the club. They were deported. John went back to Liverpool because the others were being deported and Stuart decided to stay in Hamburg with Astrid. Their Hamburg trip had ended badly, but the Beatles had gained valuable experience that would lead them to eventual stardom.

Next...The Cavern and Brian Epstein

they had the top 5 billboard hits all at one timeinsane
Yeah. That'll never be done again.Also, when they played on Ed Sullivan, there was no reported crime. Even the criminals took 10 minutes out of their time to see the Beatles. Still probably the largest TV audience ever by percentage.

saintsfan said:
The band quickly improved with the amount of practice they had by having to fill up 8 hours a night. They would play all the songs they knew, then they would have to start playing B sides of those songs they knew, therefore, their repetoire grew quickly and they became tighter.
Except for Stuart Sutcliffe who was not a very good bass player and really never improved. Stuart would often turn his back to the audience while performing because he was self conscious of his playing. McCartney didn't want Stuart in the band because he didn't think his playing was up to par. It was at Lennon's insistance that he stayed with the band although he would often make jokes of his playing.

saintsfan said:
The band quickly improved with the amount of practice they had by having to fill up 8 hours a night. They would play all the songs they knew, then they would have to start playing B sides of those songs they knew, therefore, their repetoire grew quickly and they became tighter.
Except for Stuart Sutcliffe who was not a very good bass player and really never improved. Stuart would often turn his back to the audience while performing because he was self conscious of his playing. McCartney didn't want Stuart in the band because he didn't think his playing was up to par. It was at Lennon's insistance that he stayed with the band although he would often make jokes of his playing.
John said on the Beatles Antholgy..."It is better to have a bad bass player than to have no bass player at all".

BeaverCleaver said:
PatsWillWin said:
You'd get the opposite reaction if you spoke to any musician. Their influence is very far reaching.
Personally, I think their influence / greatness is pretty easy to see for a non-musician, as well.To fully appreciate the Beatles, you also have to take them within the context of the times, too. That's because the lyrics of the early-day "boy meets girl hand-holding songs" seem really quaint now, and some people just can't get past that (so I've been told by people who don't like them - the first thing they bring up are the lyrics / hand holding / etc.) But they were groundbreaking is several important ways (one of which being they wrote songs - not many bands/singers did that then.)Great thread - I'll be reading.

One more thing that I thought about while I was in the car on Hamburg.

What did the Beatles sound like in Hamburg?? People hear the early albums and they have ideas about what the Beatles were. I've heard bubble gum and boy-band and all kinds of stuff. There is a live recording out there that goes in and out of print called The Beatles Live at the Star Club 1962. This is a live recording taken from the last of the Beatles tours of Hamburg. The quality is very bad, but it's worth a listen.

If you do listen to it, what you will hear is a very, very tight band. George Harrison's guitar is out front and loud. Ringo's drums thunder out of the speakers and the harmonies are tight and perfect, even in a live venue. They rip through Chuck Berry covers almost at proto-punk velocity. Very raw, rough sound. You can still hear that bar band sound even on those early albums. Money, Twist and Shout, Long Tall Sally, You Can't Do That, and I Saw Her Standing There were all Beatles bar-type songs. Just another reason why they were great. They could put a great Chuck Berry type song on their first album in I Saw Her Standing There, which is a bar song if I ever heard one, then follow it up with a beautiful 3 party harmony on This Boy, which backed I Want To Hold Your Hand.

Anyway, next post will be tomorrow.

BeaverCleaver said:
PatsWillWin said:
You'd get the opposite reaction if you spoke to any musician. Their influence is very far reaching.
Personally, I think their influence / greatness is pretty easy to see for a non-musician, as well.To fully appreciate the Beatles, you also have to take them within the context of the times, too. That's because the lyrics of the early-day "boy meets girl hand-holding songs" seem really quaint now, and some people just can't get past that (so I've been told by people who don't like them - the first thing they bring up are the lyrics / hand holding / etc.) But they were groundbreaking is several important ways (one of which being they wrote songs - not many bands/singers did that then.)Great thread - I'll be reading.
Not only that, but those "hand holding" songs were very sophisticated for the time. I'm talking musically. The chords they used were basic chords, but they put them in spots you don't expect them. The harmonies are VERY complex for rock at that time. The doo *** groups were doing complex harmonies and the Beach Boys came out right before the Beatles hit America, but rock and roll, in it's original format, didn't have complex harmonies. The Beatles were huge fans of those doo *** songs and sort of combined it with the Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Buddy Holly that they also loved.

Great topic.

I have been on a serious Beatles tear over the past year or so. (I've posted a lot of Beatles threads)

I have plowed through these books:

The Complete Beatles Chronicle. Mark Lewisohn

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beatles-Rec...3322&sr=1-2

The Beatles: Authorized Biography Hunter Davies

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Illustrated-...3552&sr=1-1

Tell Me Why: The Beatles Album By Album/Song By Song Tim Riley

http://www.amazon.com/Tell-Me-Why-Beatles-...3692&sr=1-1

A Hard Day's Write Steve Turner

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Days-Write-3e-S...3814&sr=1-1

Anthology

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Anthology/dp.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

And I am about twenty five pages into The Beatles by Bob Spitz.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Biography-Bo...3968&sr=1-1

Is this about the band, the game, or both?

I have RB2 and am debating getting the bundle pack or just the software. I am hoping they have some good bundle specials I won't be able to pass up. Might even be worth waiting until Black Friday for a great deal. With RB2 releasing new songs every Tuesday it is easy enough to stay busy on that until the Beatles bundle drops in price. If anyone hears of any specials please post.

http://www.rbdlc.com/news/?p=2726

Beatles Demo Now in Most Best Buy Stores- Share Your Opinions Here!

August 23rd, 2009 | Tags: Beatles: Rock Band

Leave a comment | Trackback

So, now that nearly every Best Buy has a demo that alternates between a five-song Beatles demo (I only played Here Comes the Sun, Yellow Submarine, Day Tripper, and I can’t remember what else) and an updated RB2 demo that includes 21 Guns, I thought we’d take a break from the usual news posts and see what everybody’s first impressions are. In my Best Buy’s case, the only things that got sent were promotional signage and the disc itself- no instruments or extra mics/adapters, so trying out the harmonies and new instruments might be tricky at the moment.

I would like to hear some opinion's about Pete Best.

I used to think he was a sad, tragic figure in the history of music. But in reading the various biographies, from all different vantage points, it seems to me this: Pete Best brought on his own demise.

From a personality standpoint he was lazy and unambitious. He was aloof--he'd show five minutes before they rehearsed and then split five minutes afterwards. He did the same thing when they played gigs. The other four were inseparable offstage, always hanging out together, whether at coffeehouses, restaurants, or even each other's house. Stu always went off by himself.

Stu did not seem to get the concept of being in a group. (in some of the old photos John/Paul/George/Stu are all dressed alike, and there is Stu on his kit dressed altogether different). He also refused to comb his hair forward.

From a technical standpoint, he couldn't (wouldn't?) play any other way than banging and thrashing, and crashing his cymbals. No subtlety at all.

Paul and John acted very dooshy in the way they dismissed best. They wouldn't even do it to his face, instead sending Brian Epstein to do it. That was low class.

But, all in all, I don't have much sympathy for Pete Best.

Great topic.

I have been on a serious Beatles tear over the past year or so. (I've posted a lot of Beatles threads)

I have plowed through these books:

The Complete Beatles Chronicle. Mark Lewisohn

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beatles-Rec...3322&sr=1-2

The Beatles: Authorized Biography Hunter Davies

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Illustrated-...3552&sr=1-1

Tell Me Why: The Beatles Album By Album/Song By Song Tim Riley

http://www.amazon.com/Tell-Me-Why-Beatles-...3692&sr=1-1

A Hard Day's Write Steve Turner

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Days-Write-3e-S...3814&sr=1-1

Anthology

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Anthology/dp.../ref=pd_sim_b_3

And I am about twenty five pages into The Beatles by Bob Spitz.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Biography-Bo...3968&sr=1-1
There are lots of great books on the Beatles. If you are interested in the details of their recordings two of teh best books are:The Beatles: Recording Sessions. The Official Abbey Road Session Notes by Mark Lewison

This book discusses every Beatles recording session that took place between 1962 and 1970. It is fantastic.

and

Here, There and Everywhere. My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles by Geoff Emerick

This book was written by Geoff Emerick, a 15 year old assistant at EMI when the Beatles started recording at Abbey Road studios, who eventually went on to engineer Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and the White Album. It is a very detailed account behind the recording techniques used during the Beatles most experimental phase of their career. You really appreciate the innovations Emerick, Martin and the Beatles came up using equipment that by today's standards were very primitive.

It also provides an insider's view of the individual personalities of the Beatles and George Martin. I really enjoyed this one.

I would like to hear some opinion's about Pete Best.I used to think he was a sad, tragic figure in the history of music. But in reading the various biographies, from all different vantage points, it seems to me this: Pete Best brought on his own demise. From a personality standpoint he was lazy and unambitious. He was aloof--he'd show five minutes before they rehearsed and then split five minutes afterwards. He did the same thing when they played gigs. The other four were inseparable offstage, always hanging out together, whether at coffeehouses, restaurants, or even each other's house. Stu always went off by himself.Stu did not seem to get the concept of being in a group. (in some of the old photos John/Paul/George/Stu are all dressed alike, and there is Stu on his kit dressed altogether different). He also refused to comb his hair forward. From a technical standpoint, he couldn't (wouldn't?) play any other way than banging and thrashing, and crashing his cymbals. No subtlety at all.Paul and John acted very dooshy in the way they dismissed best. They wouldn't even do it to his face, instead sending Brian Epstein to do it. That was low class.But, all in all, I don't have much sympathy for Pete Best.
On my short list of topics to discuss. I'll get there.

PatsWillWin said:
I agree, however when you are rated so high it is hard to live up to the hype. They were a great band, but their legend far surpasses their music.Please don't confuse my statement, I think the Beatles were great.

I would like to hear some opinion's about Pete Best.I used to think he was a sad, tragic figure in the history of music. But in reading the various biographies, from all different vantage points, it seems to me this: Pete Best brought on his own demise.
If you listen to the Decca tapes it is obvious that Best wasn't a good drummer. George Martin picked up on it at their first studio test and he told Brian that he didn't care what they did on stage but in the studio they were going to need a better drummer.After Best was sacked they showed up at Abbey Road with Ringo and recorded Love Me Do but Martin still was not satisfied with the drumming so he brought in session drummer Andy White. The Beatles re-recorded Love Me Do with White playing drums (and Ringo on tamborine) and also recorded PS I Love You with White on drums.After listening to White's version of Love Me Do along side of Ringo's version Martin decided there wasn't much difference and so the initial single release has Ringo playing. However the master tapes were lost and so subsequent pressings of the single contain the Andy White version (as does the Please Please Me LP). As far as Best goes he did get a raw deal but on the other hand he has made some money cashing in on the Beatles name. He tours with an oldies band, speaks at Beatles conventions, does advertisements and appeared on TV many times. The most amusing thing he did was record an album in 1966 called "Best of the Beatles". The LP did not do well.

The Cavern and Brian Epstein

This part of the story also begins in Hamburg. During the first Hamburg trip, the Beatles played with a guy named Tony Sheridan, who was a British singer and guitarist. During the Beatles second Hamburg trip in 1961, Tony asked the Beatles to be his backup band on a recording session in Germany. The recordings were issued as Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers because it was thought that the word Beatles would sound a bit too much like the German word for penis. Anyway, the recordings that came out of this session would be a track called My Bonnie, with Sheridan on lead vocal and lead guitar, Ain't She Sweet, featuring John Lennon on lead vocal and an instrumental called Cry For A Shadow, which kind of sounded like Cliff Richard and the Shadows, a famous group in England at the time.

When the Beatles first returned from Hamburg, they started playing in a club in England called the Cavern. The Cavern had been a jazz club, but the popularity of rock and roll in Liverpool at the time caused the owners of the Cavern to start booking rock bands. One of the bands they booked were billed as "The Fabulous Beatles Directly from Hamburg." This caused some confusion as the Liverpool teenagers remarked that the Beatles "spoke great English". Others in the audience, however, recognized the boys as being the Quarrymen. However, in the time since they had last heard the band, a transformation had taken place. No longer a bunch of rank amateurs who could barely play, the Beatles were now a good, stomping rock band. Their popularity continued to grow. The Cavern became the Beatles main place to play from this time forward. They would play lunch time shows during the week and on weekends. The Cavern was underground. It was small, sweaty , and crowded, in other words, the perfect place to play a rock and roll show.

It was around this time that a local record store called North End Music Stores started getting requests from teenagers for a record called My Bonnie by the Beatles. The manager of the store, a guy named Brian Epstein had never heard of the group. After searching for a bit, someone finally told him that the group plays lunchtime shows right down the street at a place called the Cavern. Brian decided to go and check them out. What he saw amazed him. He loved the Beatles beat, their sense of humor on stage, and their charisma. Brian was also a homosexual and probably liked other things. He, especially, took a liking to John Lennon. All that stuff is more on the "National Enquirer" side of the Beatles story and not part of this, so I will skip it for now. In any event, the Beatles were impressed that Brian owned a music store and Brian was impressed by the Beatles sound and charisma. He asked if he could manage them and they said yes.

A quick word about one of the many "fifth Beatles", Stuart Sutcliffe. You will remember that Stuart decided to stay in Germany with Astrid after the first Hamburg tour ended. Soon after, Stuart dropped out of the Beatles for good. Instead of replacing him, Paul bought a Hofner 500/1 bass guitar, yes THAT bass guitar, and became the Beatles bass player making the Beatles a quartet. Stuart died of a cerebral brain hemorrhage in 1962. John, especially, was devastated. Stuart was probably John's best friend at this point. Stuart never remained far away from the Beatles thoughts. He even appears on the cover of Sgt. Pepper. Those watching the Free As A Bird video from Anthology 1 will notice Stuart appearing briefly. I will leave Stuart's bass playing "challenges" to others as it has already been mentioned. Stuart was not the most intuitive of musicians and Stuart, knowing this, left the Beatles. As he was John's friend, he would not have left any other way for as long as John was in the Beatles, I believe so would Stuart.

Next...Brian's influence and the infamous Decca audition

VH-1 is airing the Beatles Anthology (1995) in the build up to 9/9/09. Part two is on Wednesday (9/2/09) at 9 pm, part three is on the following week (9/9/09) at 9 pm.

They were the first band I ever got into, never saw this series before. If you haven't, great documentary on the group.

saintsfan said:
The Cavern and Brian Epstein

In any event, the Beatles were impressed that Brian owned a music store and Brian was impressed by the Beatles sound and charisma. He asked if he could manage them and they said yes.
An interesting note about Brian is that he never signed his management contract with the Beatles. It has never really been explained although the thought is that Brian didn't sign it to give him the option of withdrawing if he wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread