What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

why do people draft (1 Viewer)

Rylenol

Footballguy
Just read the news re: Roy E. Williams and his broken collar bone which "they" are saying should take at least 6 weeks to heal.

Given the slew of injuries that have occurred (J Stewart reaggrivating ankle, Pierre Thomas injury, Reggie Bush slow progress, Palmer ankle, Bulger finger, TO TOE (sounds funny), Moreno not looking to be full speed by week 1). I sure I'm missing a few headlines here but these have all appeared since the beginning of the month.

Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?

Because some of us are in multiple leagues and have lives. It's hard to get 10 or 12 people together with school starting, end of summer vacations, work, family obligations, etc... for one league. Sometimes it just works out that an early/mid August date is the only date that works for everyone.

I need to be clear on the tone of my post. I'm not trying to be a smart ### but it's just something that's really bothering me. I'm usually the last person to nit pick on these things, especially ones that do not affect me in any way, shape, or form, but this just really riles me up.

Because a month ago I was able to get Ray Rice and Chris Henry for peanuts compared to what they cost now.

I need to be clear on the tone of my post. I'm not trying to be a smart ### but it's just something that's really bothering me. I'm usually the last person to nit pick on these things, especially ones that do not affect me in any way, shape, or form, but this just really riles me up.
We always hold our draft the second to last weekend in August. We have never had a problem since it always falls after most pre season week 3 games are done. This year the season starts later. Guys cleared their schedules for the second to last week in August.Hopefully the schedule will go back to normal next year

I guess the real question is: why does it bother you and rile you up that a dozen people, in a league not involving you, prefer an earlier draft time than you prefer. Enjoy your league and your preference, let them/us enjoy ours.I'm in a dozen leagues. My in-person redraft is the Tues before the season begins. A keeper league I'm in just finished drafting. Six dynasties drafted Aug 1 for rookies. And another 4 dynasties drafted right after the NFL draft. I enjoy them all and couldn't be in them all if they held drafts at the same time.There are pros and cons to drafting early and late. With late drafts, there are fewer unknowns. That makes it easier. But a lot of folks would rather draft early when a lot of things are not so clear and they have to use their deeper knowledge, intuition, and just plain guessing a little bit. Then they have the summer to work trades and the waiver wire. I find leagues who stay involved most of the summer and don't go dead from Jan - Sept are stronger leagues. That's just my experience, it may be different from yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the news re: Roy E. Williams and his broken collar bone which "they" are saying should take at least 6 weeks to heal.Given the slew of injuries that have occurred (J Stewart reaggrivating ankle, Pierre Thomas injury, Reggie Bush slow progress, Palmer ankle, Bulger finger, TO TOE (sounds funny), Moreno not looking to be full speed by week 1). I sure I'm missing a few headlines here but these have all appeared since the beginning of the month.Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
theme of the night for you huh, let's bring this up in every thread.

because REAL life gets in the way of perfect scheduling
I found exactly ONE night for my Dynasty league to kickoff....about one week before season kickoff to meet face to face. Similarly, I found ONE Saturday late morning to get my other league together. It's just a matter of getting everyone together. For the Dyansty league, I would have loved to get this done mid-August.For redraft, I can see wanting to get closer to season kickoff.

I would have loved to do all my drafts right before the first game of the preseason. I would have gotten Olsen, James, Davis, Bernard Scott, Chaz Schilens, and Chris Henry a lot later.

By the same token, you can benefit from the annual Preseason Hall Of Famers that show up. I hope Mike Bell runs for 250 yards next game.

Because families, friends, and jobs take precedent.
Not for me.
I would have loved to do all my drafts right before the first game of the preseason. I would have gotten Olsen, James, Davis, Bernard Scott, Chaz Schilens, and Chris Henry a lot later.By the same token, you can benefit from the annual Preseason Hall Of Famers that show up. I hope Mike Bell runs for 250 yards next game.
Oh you mean the Chaz Schilens that broke his metatarsal and won't be ready until at least week 4 of the regular season, that one?And I'd like to reiterate that I'm not hating, I'm just pointing out that it's something that doesn't make much sense to me.

Not for me.
I would have loved to do all my drafts right before the first game of the preseason. I would have gotten Olsen, James, Davis, Bernard Scott, Chaz Schilens, and Chris Henry a lot later.By the same token, you can benefit from the annual Preseason Hall Of Famers that show up. I hope Mike Bell runs for 250 yards next game.
Oh you mean the Chaz Schilens that broke his metatarsal and won't be ready until at least week 4 of the regular season, that one?
Yep, the same Chaz Schilens that won't be a top 3 WR for anyone anyway, so you won't need him till the bye weeks, 4-5 weeks into the season. That's the one.

Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
:rolleyes: Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

:football:

PHILO

Just read the news re: Roy E. Williams and his broken collar bone which "they" are saying should take at least 6 weeks to heal.Given the slew of injuries that have occurred (J Stewart reaggrivating ankle, Pierre Thomas injury, Reggie Bush slow progress, Palmer ankle, Bulger finger, TO TOE (sounds funny), Moreno not looking to be full speed by week 1). I sure I'm missing a few headlines here but these have all appeared since the beginning of the month.Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
Because no one really cares what YOU think. :unsure:

Multiple reasons, some have been stated already.1. I like doing my own research. I like competing against people that do their own. Drafting in July means not many projections are out and its more me verses them with much less ability for someone to have a solid draft just by printing up a cheat sheet they got at footballguys or where ever.2. Money. Lots of sites (FFOC for example) put extra money in the pot for people who draft early. Its literally free money (compared to later drafts) since there is no additional fee (and sometimes an early bird discount) and the money is added on for only early drafters so everyone has an equal shot at it.3. It makes preseason tons more fun. Watching C Henry- or just C Henries' box scores, has been almost as good as regular season fantasy football. Its adds to preseason games when you already have guys on your roster.

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

:unsure:

PHILO
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: This is utterly fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

:unsure:

PHILO
You ever see Step Brothers with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. You're Derrick, Ferrell's older brother, go watch and it and get back to me.

Our dynasty rookie drafts are right after the NFL draft.

We be so giddy and geared up for draft day i guess thats why we draft early

Works out for some guys...others get left drafting A.Brown/Peerman and other no shows very early with nothing to show for it.

But hey....its all about the love for FF so it dont even matter. Especially if you can trade and work that wire good anyways.

:lmao: Typical guppy.

:moneybag:

PHILO
You ever see Step Brothers with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. You're Derrick, Ferrell's older brother, go watch and it and get back to me.
Dead on. It's hilarious.

I guess the real question is: why does it bother you and rile you up that a dozen people, in a league not involving you, prefer an earlier draft time than you prefer. Enjoy your league and your preference, let them/us enjoy ours.I'm in a dozen leagues. My in-person redraft is the Tues before the season begins. A keeper league I'm in just finished drafting. Six dynasties drafted Aug 1 for rookies. And another 4 dynasties drafted right after the NFL draft. I enjoy them all and couldn't be in them all if they held drafts at the same time.There are pros and cons to drafting early and late. With late drafts, there are fewer unknowns. That makes it easier. But a lot of folks would rather draft early when a lot of things are not so clear and they have to use their deeper knowledge, intuition, and just plain guessing a little bit. Then they have the summer to work trades and the waiver wire. I find leagues who stay involved most of the summer and don't go dead from Jan - Sept are stronger leagues. That's just my experience, it may be different from yours.
:moneybag: you summed it up perfectly Couch Potato.....last paragraph especially!

I'm in a long standing 16 team league. We draft in person, which means on the weekend. Labor weekend is out, someone is always going somewhere. That means the Saturday before Labor day. Tomorrow.

We draft in person, which means on the weekend. Labor weekend is out, someone is always going somewhere. That means the Saturday before Labor day. Tomorrow.
My league does it at the same time and for the same reason.

Not for me.
And I'd like to reiterate that I'm not hating, I'm just pointing out that it's something that doesn't make much sense to me.
How in the world could it not make sense when multiple people have explained that they are in multiple leagues? Is it really feasible in your mind that all FF drafts could be held so late and still accomodate people to participate in multiple leagues? From a pure scheduling perspective alone, without regard to the other legitimate issues people mentioned, it doesn't make sense to me that you can't see how it would be virtually impossible to schedule all FF drafts after week 3 of preseason. At least not in a way that does not require one to effectively abandon his job, family, etc. :thumbup:

Just 1 more thing, using the OP's logic, why don't we all just wait until after week 1 of the regular season just to make sure we don't draft injured players? :thumbup:

We draft in person, which means on the weekend. Labor weekend is out, someone is always going somewhere. That means the Saturday before Labor day. Tomorrow.
My league does it at the same time and for the same reason.
AA pegged it exactly. :goodposting:
1. Many of us play in enough leagues it is impossible to be 8 places at once. 2. It is widely recognized that drafting early requires better information to make good decisions. Many things get obviated in pre-season that require skill to predict. Injuries cannot be predicted and are therefore irrelevant to skill. And it is all about the prediction.

I agree with you. The closer to the season the better as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact I like the WCOFF schedule of drafting the weekend the season starts even if it is after the first game has been played. One of my leagues is drafting Sunday. We normally draft Sunday of Labor Day weekend, but there is a scheduling problem. That is still too early for me.

Injuries like this can also occur in week 4 of preseason or week 1 of the regular season. The Brady owners probably wished their draft was before week 2 of the regular season last year. There are plenty of pros and cons for drafting late...and also plenty for drafting early, but injuries can happen at any time and to me, that is not a valid reason to draft later.

We draft whenever it is best for all the owners. Let everyone decide and like Anthony said injuries can happen at anytime.

I like drafting early because I do a lot of homework. This year ray rice was going in the 8th round last month.

Our GMs are spread out over 800 miles. We draft when we can get everyone together.

Sorry if that upsets you.

We normally draft the weekend before Labor Day. This year, things got messed up because Labor Day was late and the commish didn't pickup on it. The weekend before Labor Day seems to be the best for us because we all have families and Labor Day weekend is not really an option. We also do our draft live and have owners that span a 3-4 hour radius, so weekdays are not an option.

I'm sure it's been mentioned (I did not read through the whole thread) but for my league it comes down to scheduling. We drafted last Saturday (Aug. 22.) The reason we did this is because everyone in the league has multiple leagues where the drafts are live. To coordinate and make sure everyone can attend our draft, we schedule our draft a week earlier than we would prefer, but no one in the league complains. Scheduling, that's all it boils down to. In addition, all league members are savvy enough to continue to stay abreast of NFL news.

I'm in 5 leagues so I could go your route. I know a few people who are in 40+ leagues, do you think they should draft 40 teams in 1 week?

Really? :rolleyes: It's unhealthy to get that bent out of shape over trivial things, what do you do when something really horrific happens, like stealing your parking spot or cutting you off in traffic?

:wub: Typical guppy.

:no:

PHILO
'This is one of the greatest posts in Shark Pool history.

Kudos Mr. Philo. :wub: :bow:

Precedent to Fantasy Football?? The draft happens once a year, making changes in my schedual to draft after the 3rd or 4th preseason game dont bother me at all. I agree with the original poster, mock drafts can go all summer long, but the real draft needs to take place just before the season begins.

:lmao: Typical guppy.

:lmao:

PHILO
I dont think dumb down is the right word. I just posted the draft happens only once a year and to not let other things get in your way, but you have taken it to the other extreme. Four years in advance is exesive, and dumb in my opinion. Did you predict that Blout would punch a guy out and possibly ruin his chance at being a 1st year producer in the NFL? How many years have you won this league? Do you consider your league luck or skill? i think its luck

:football:

PHILO
I dont think dumb down is the right word. I just posted the draft happens only once a year and to not let other things get in your way, but you have taken it to the other extreme. Four years in advance is exesive, and dumb in my opinion. Did you predict that Blout would punch a guy out and possibly ruin his chance at being a 1st year producer in the NFL? How many years have you won this league? Do you consider your league luck or skill? i think its luck
You told him.

Users who are viewing this thread