Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FBG's Kitchen: The Blog

The FBG's Kitchen Blog

Clearly many of us are obsessed with food & love talking about it here. The amount of food topics discussed here is a bit overwhelming and quite hard to search for imho.

I've started a blog documenting our recipes & general knowledge thrown out here in the FFA and could use some help. I'm happy to let this die if nobody is interested, but I had fun playing with it yesterday....but realized if I were to go much further I would need some help from y'all.

Anybody want to be an admin and help me add content?

Got any content you want to share?

Feel free to add recipes here or send me a pm. Pics are great too.

Thanks in advance.

Tipsy

-----------------------------------

.....brainstorming here

Recipes

Food & Cooking Equipment Photos

Favorite Food Blogs & other websites

Cooking techniques

Menu's

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome.I'd be willing to help as best I can.

Any recipes you have posted in other threads? If you have some or want to scour the archives for others, please feel free. You can 1. post them here 2. send me an email/pm. 3. or you can be an admin on the blog and add them yourself (:thumbsup:) tia

Any recipes you have posted in other threads? If you have some or want to scour the archives for others, please feel free. You can 1. post them here 2. send me an email/pm. 3. or you can be an admin on the blog and add them yourself (:thumbsup:) tia
I can dig up some of my goto FBG's recipes and add some of my own.You can add me as an admin of you want.

good god, that fried chicken photo is incredible

:( Wow
I was experimenting with mine for a month. I made 6 different types. That one was the best of them all and will be tweaked some more, but is essentially the type i want my eventual southern joint based on. just need investors.....I just added every SALSA recipe I could find. If yours isn't on there let me know.BentleySnoggerMojorizinBringitonMEHMr. JimmyDa Good Da Bad and Da UglyprosopisMisfit

I can dig up some of my goto FBG's recipes and add some of my own.You can add me as an admin of you want.
Sign up for the blog and i will give you controls. Make sure you are categorizing correctly!

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.

love this one

Sign up for the blog and i will give you controls. Make sure you are categorizing correctly!
ok

I signed up for wordpress, JerseyToughGuys.

I signed up for wordpress, JerseyToughGuys.
lol....now i see i have to add you myself using your email. feel free to forward it.

What is that called Jersey Tough Guys?

Judge Smails' Legendary Chili
:goodposting::thumbup: Added to the site.Now that I have been scanning the threads, I realize I hope most people just come here and add a recipe they think should be on the blog.
yep. I wanted to track all of these down over the summer, especially the BBQ ones, never got around to it.Question:What about recipes that were re-posted here from other sites?

:wub::thumbup: Added to the site.Now that I have been scanning the threads, I realize I hope most people just come here and add a recipe they think should be on the blog.
yep. I wanted to track all of these down over the summer, especially the BBQ ones, never got around to it.Question:What about recipes that were re-posted here from other sites?
I would rather they be FBG originals or adaptations. But if you really love it...share it. Just give it credit.

:confused: Wow
Exactly. I haven't tried homemade Fried Chicken a a year or so. I'm not using peanut oil, so that may be part of the problem. I also wonder whether the pan I'm using is deep enough. I will say that after seeing that photo, I'm planning to pick up a chicken or two tonight.

:confused: Wow
Exactly. I haven't tried homemade Fried Chicken a a year or so. I'm not using peanut oil, so that may be part of the problem. I also wonder whether the pan I'm using is deep enough. I will say that after seeing that photo, I'm planning to pick up a chicken or two tonight.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHEDI prefer my chicken to float. I use my lodge dutch oven as my fryer.

Very easy, very quick pasta and peas

½ yellow onion, minced as fine as you can

1 big garlic clove, chopped

1 cup tomato sauce

1 can leseur baby peas

White wine

Heavy cream

1lb of pasta

In a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until the garlic is brown and the onion is translucent. Add the entire can of peas, including liquid. Cover it and cook between low and medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and a splash of white wine. Stir and cover for 5 more minutes on low flame. Drizzle cream until desired thickness or until its pink. Cover and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Add the sauce to a pound of cooked pasta, mix, and serve.

Very easy, very quick pasta and peas½ yellow onion, minced as fine as you can1 big garlic clove, chopped1 cup tomato sauce1 can leseur baby peasWhite wineHeavy cream1lb of pastaIn a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until the garlic is brown and the onion is translucent. Add the entire can of peas, including liquid. Cover it and cook between low and medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and a splash of white wine. Stir and cover for 5 more minutes on low flame. Drizzle cream until desired thickness or until its pink. Cover and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Add the sauce to a pound of cooked pasta, mix, and serve.

Added to the blog. Thanks.I have added a bunch of stuff today. Sadly I have to actually work soon. Yeah for new hobby!!!

Very easy, very quick pasta and peas½ yellow onion, minced as fine as you can1 big garlic clove, chopped1 cup tomato sauce1 can leseur baby peasWhite wineHeavy cream1lb of pastaIn a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until the garlic is brown and the onion is translucent. Add the entire can of peas, including liquid. Cover it and cook between low and medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and a splash of white wine. Stir and cover for 5 more minutes on low flame. Drizzle cream until desired thickness or until its pink. Cover and let simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Add the sauce to a pound of cooked pasta, mix, and serve.

Added to the blog. Thanks.I have added a bunch of stuff today. Sadly I have to actually work soon. Yeah for new hobby!!!
I will mark on here what I add.

next time I make it I will snap some pictures.
As someone who does this quite a lot let me give a little advice. First, taking good pictures is much harder than making the product. Second, quality through quantity. Got a Point and Shoot that has about 20 settings? Try them all. Take many many pictures. For every food pic that makes it on my site I have at least another dozen of the exact same shot. Don't take just one shot and assume it's good enough. It might look good on a 2 inch screen on the back of the cam but when you see it full size it could be blurry. Third, low light is your enemy, particularly with point and shoot cams. Place the plate near a sunny window and the results will be night and day different (pun intended)Fourth, contrast of the plate and food is good. The more contrast the better. I specifically bought white plates just to take pics on. Fifth, mind your background. Is there a piece of mail on the counter or a prescript bottle that someone could blow up and get your name off of? Crop that out.Sixth, the more pictures the better. The limitation of a cook book is space. Most recipes have just a single pic if that. We have infinite space. Take pictures from start to finish. Show what it's supposed to look like halfway through, 3/4 through. The more confident someone is in the process the more likely they are to try and and return to try something else...

I LOVE Red Beans and Rice and here's my personal take on it and ALWAYS get rave reviews. I haven't had a better RB&R than this.

RED BEANS AND RICE

1 lb red beans - (I prefer dry always and soak them overnight in a bowl after removing any pebbles)

1 to 1 1/2 large onion - chopped - (I use either Texas sweet onions and sometimes add another 1/2 purple)

1 green bell pepper - chopped

4 to 5 celery ribs - chopped

5 cloves of garlic - minced (Add more or less depending on your level of garlic preference)

3/4 lb. smoked ham - diced

3 Andouille sausage links - sliced into small disks

1 tsp. dried thyme leaves - crushed

2 bay leaves

Favorite Louisiana style hot sauce to taste (I actually do this after I serve since I have two small kids and can add heat to only my bowl)

5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce

3 dashes of Pickapeppa sauce (this is the best stuff on earth)

Black pepper and Salt to taste

1. Soak the beans overnight then drain and put fresh water in the pot. Bring beans to boil and always covered by water for 50 minutes (60 if your stove cooks at less temp) basically until beans are tender but not falling apart.

2. While beans are boiling sauté the the onions, celery, and bell pepper until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sauté vegetables to the beans, then add the ham, smoked sausage, seasonings, and enough water to cover usually a half to full inch above.

4. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 3 hours, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy.

5. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally so nothing burns or sticks to the bottom.

6. This meal is best if you let the beans cool, stick them in your fridge and reheat and serve the following day. Trust me, they taste a lot better. Still great first day but you'll be amazed given the time everything is allowed to get married this dish gets better each following day. When you reheat add water to get desired creamy consistency.

7. Serve over white rice (long-grain and dry) and usually a side of bread (prefer French) and goes great with an ice cold beer.

This yields around 8 servings and better each day you re-heat it.

I LOVE Red Beans and Rice and here's my personal take on it and ALWAYS get rave reviews. I haven't had a better RB&R than this.RED BEANS AND RICE 1 lb red beans - (I prefer dry always and soak them overnight in a bowl after removing any pebbles)1 to 1 1/2 large onion - chopped - (I use either Texas sweet onions and sometimes add another 1/2 purple)1 green bell pepper - chopped4 to 5 celery ribs - chopped5 cloves of garlic - minced (Add more or less depending on your level of garlic preference)3/4 lb. smoked ham - diced3 Andouille sausage links - sliced into small disks1 tsp. dried thyme leaves - crushed2 bay leavesFavorite Louisiana style hot sauce to taste (I actually do this after I serve since I have two small kids and can add heat to only my bowl)5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce3 dashes of Pickapeppa sauce (this is the best stuff on earth)Black pepper and Salt to taste1. Soak the beans overnight then drain and put fresh water in the pot. Bring beans to boil and always covered by water for 50 minutes (60 if your stove cooks at less temp) basically until beans are tender but not falling apart.2. While beans are boiling sauté the the onions, celery, and bell pepper until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sauté vegetables to the beans, then add the ham, smoked sausage, seasonings, and enough water to cover usually a half to full inch above.4. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 3 hours, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy. 5. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally so nothing burns or sticks to the bottom. 6. This meal is best if you let the beans cool, stick them in your fridge and reheat and serve the following day. Trust me, they taste a lot better. Still great first day but you'll be amazed given the time everything is allowed to get married this dish gets better each following day. When you reheat add water to get desired creamy consistency. 7. Serve over white rice (long-grain and dry) and usually a side of bread (prefer French) and goes great with an ice cold beer.This yields around 8 servings and better each day you re-heat it.

:eek: (not sure how to categorize this one though)

Flank Steak Marinade

I love Marinade's and honestly I have yet to have one that's better than this. I even pour this into a pan and heat it up and serve it over rice or the meat once it's cooked. It's liquid crack. You really can't mess this up.

1/2 Soy Sauce

6 T Honey

1/4 Red Win Vinegar

1 T Garlic Powder (or mince 4 to 5 garlic cloves)

2 T Ground Ginger

1 1/2 C salad oil (canola is fine)

3 finely chopped small green onions

2 Medium Sized Flank Steaks

Mix all ingredients in a long shallow casserole bowl until the mixture is smooth

Poke small holes in both flank steaks / both sides

Lay both flank steaks into mixture

Turn over just so both sides are coated

Put in fridge

Every few hours I first scoop mixture over the exposed part of the flank steak then turn

Soak at least 8 hours

Fire up grill with charcoal and cook 4 minutes per side (adjust depending on thickness of steak, type of grill and how well or rare you want it)

Remove and cover on carvings block with tinfoil for 10 minutes

Carve against grain

Bonus: Any leftovers you can put in fridge then next day put over salad greens with blue cheese dressing or you can put the steak in a sandwich.

I LOVE Red Beans and Rice and here's my personal take on it and ALWAYS get rave reviews. I haven't had a better RB&R than this.RED BEANS AND RICE 1 lb red beans - (I prefer dry always and soak them overnight in a bowl after removing any pebbles)1 to 1 1/2 large onion - chopped - (I use either Texas sweet onions and sometimes add another 1/2 purple)1 green bell pepper - chopped4 to 5 celery ribs - chopped5 cloves of garlic - minced (Add more or less depending on your level of garlic preference)3/4 lb. smoked ham - diced3 Andouille sausage links - sliced into small disks1 tsp. dried thyme leaves - crushed2 bay leavesFavorite Louisiana style hot sauce to taste (I actually do this after I serve since I have two small kids and can add heat to only my bowl)5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce3 dashes of Pickapeppa sauce (this is the best stuff on earth)Black pepper and Salt to taste1. Soak the beans overnight then drain and put fresh water in the pot. Bring beans to boil and always covered by water for 50 minutes (60 if your stove cooks at less temp) basically until beans are tender but not falling apart.2. While beans are boiling sauté the the onions, celery, and bell pepper until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sauté vegetables to the beans, then add the ham, smoked sausage, seasonings, and enough water to cover usually a half to full inch above.4. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 3 hours, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy. 5. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally so nothing burns or sticks to the bottom. 6. This meal is best if you let the beans cool, stick them in your fridge and reheat and serve the following day. Trust me, they taste a lot better. Still great first day but you'll be amazed given the time everything is allowed to get married this dish gets better each following day. When you reheat add water to get desired creamy consistency. 7. Serve over white rice (long-grain and dry) and usually a side of bread (prefer French) and goes great with an ice cold beer.This yields around 8 servings and better each day you re-heat it.

:hifive: (not sure how to categorize this one though)
Southern food or soups/stews section perhaps.

Flank Steak MarinadeI love Marinade's and honestly I have yet to have one that's better than this. I even pour this into a pan and heat it up and serve it over rice or the meat once it's cooked. It's liquid crack. You really can't mess this up.1/2 Soy Sauce6 T Honey1/4 Red Win Vinegar1 T Garlic Powder (or mince 4 to 5 garlic cloves)2 T Ground Ginger1 1/2 C salad oil (canola is fine)3 finely chopped small green onions2 Medium Sized Flank SteaksMix all ingredients in a long shallow casserole bowl until the mixture is smoothPoke small holes in both flank steaks / both sidesLay both flank steaks into mixtureTurn over just so both sides are coatedPut in fridgeEvery few hours I first scoop mixture over the exposed part of the flank steak then turnSoak at least 8 hoursFire up grill with charcoal and cook 4 minutes per side (adjust depending on thickness of steak, type of grill and how well or rare you want it)Remove and cover on carvings block with tinfoil for 10 minutesCarve against grainBonus: Any leftovers you can put in fridge then next day put over salad greens with blue cheese dressing or you can put the steak in a sandwich.

added

Flank Steak MarinadeI love Marinade's and honestly I have yet to have one that's better than this. I even pour this into a pan and heat it up and serve it over rice or the meat once it's cooked. It's liquid crack. You really can't mess this up.1/2 Soy Sauce6 T Honey1/4 Red Win Vinegar1 T Garlic Powder (or mince 4 to 5 garlic cloves)2 T Ground Ginger1 1/2 C salad oil (canola is fine)3 finely chopped small green onions2 Medium Sized Flank SteaksMix all ingredients in a long shallow casserole bowl until the mixture is smoothPoke small holes in both flank steaks / both sidesLay both flank steaks into mixtureTurn over just so both sides are coatedPut in fridgeEvery few hours I first scoop mixture over the exposed part of the flank steak then turnSoak at least 8 hoursFire up grill with charcoal and cook 4 minutes per side (adjust depending on thickness of steak, type of grill and how well or rare you want it)Remove and cover on carvings block with tinfoil for 10 minutesCarve against grainBonus: Any leftovers you can put in fridge then next day put over salad greens with blue cheese dressing or you can put the steak in a sandwich.

That sounds fantastic!!! Not enough flank steak love in this world...

The FBG's Kitchen Blog

Clearly many of us are obsessed with food & love talking about it here. The amount of food topics discussed here is a bit overwhelming and quite hard to search for imho.

I've started a blog documenting our recipes & general knowledge thrown out here in the FFA and could use some help. I'm happy to let this die if nobody is interested, but I had fun playing with it yesterday....but realized if I were to go much further I would need some help from y'all.

Thanks in advance.

Tipsy

:loco: Great idea, tipsy.

Black Eyed Joe's Salsa

Into a food processor or blender put:

1 can of whole tomatoes (28oz) (make sure it’s just plain whole tomatoes – no basil or Italian spices added)

Juice of 2 limes

½ of a purple onion chopped

1 clove of garlic chopped

½ bunch of cilantro chopped

1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped

1 serrano pepper seeded and chopped (juggle peppers however you like – more or less)

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 tablespoon honey

½ tablespoon of olive oil

¼ teaspoon cumin

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Chop to whatever consistency you like your salsa.

The FBG's Kitchen Blog

Thanks in advance.

Tipsy

:confused: Great idea, tipsy.

Black Eyed Joe's Salsa

Into a food processor or blender put:

1 can of whole tomatoes (28oz) (make sure it’s just plain whole tomatoes – no basil or Italian spices added)

Juice of 2 limes

½ of a purple onion chopped

1 clove of garlic chopped

½ bunch of cilantro chopped

1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped

1 serrano pepper seeded and chopped (juggle peppers however you like – more or less)

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 tablespoon honey

½ tablespoon of olive oil

¼ teaspoon cumin

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Chop to whatever consistency you like your salsa.

Use this recipe often (minus the honey). My next favorite is watermelon salsa.

That sounds fantastic!!! Not enough flank steak love in this world...
VERY true. Don't get skirt steak, FLANK steak is the key and really a steak that's overlooked for some reason. Not expensive and is out of this world.

I do a flank steak on the grill with fresh made chimichurri. Absolutely one of my favorite meals served with yellow rice (white is okay I guess) and black beans. Plantains are also a good side.

Guest The Ghost of Common

I really want to know how to make the following two dishes and no one here has been able to help me.

Polenta CAKES. I can make regular polenta, but not cakes, I'm afraid it will get too dried out.

Perfect Risotto. I honestly have had risotto cooked a few different ways. Is it supposed to have a bit of a bite to it like under cooked pasta, or is it supposed to be completely mushy and without form?

Guest The Ghost of Common

In my opinion I make the best poached salmon out there.

It needs no additional toppings when cooked, it's perfectly flavored.

Use a good sized stainless steel frying pan

Fill pan halfway with white wine, fill the other half with chicken stock. Squeeze the juice of two lemons into it and leave the rinds behind in the pan, add FRESH dill. Add black peppercorns.

Add your salmon and bring to a boil (I would say bring to a soft bubble, not a rapid boil). Reduce heat and put the cover on. Poach for about 12-15 minutes.

Comes out perfect every time with so much flavor.

Archived