Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FBG's Kitchen: The Blog

Anyone willing to share a good vegetable side dish recipe? My wife and I are trying to get more into our diets, but she can be pretty fussy.

Fussy how, exactly?

Caponata is usually a crowd pleaser. Here's a good recipe for it. You can also grill the eggplant instead of frying it- I think that actually sounds better personally. Just brush with olive oil and toss S&P on it and throw it on the grill.

My wife's a picky eater, too. She likes these, which are good if you're not worried about getting a ton of calories along with some veggies. It's a recipe aimed at kids, which is generally a good search idea for picky eaters.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see this thing back on page one. Here's another one for the thread and blog.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups AP flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 cups oats (quick or traditional- I prefer traditional, but if you want the texture softer and less"oat-y" go with the quick cook)

1 cup butterscotch chips

1 cup chocolate chips

You can also do two cups of choc chips if you don't like butterscotch of course, or replace the butterscotch with walnuts if you're a guy that likes nuts (like the real Tobias Funke).

Preheat oven to 325.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the oats and chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake in the preheated oven, until the edges start to brown just a bit (usually 12-14 minutes). Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

WARNING: Do not smoke marijuana after making a batch of these. I learned that lesson the hard way.

• 8 months later...

Time for a bum recipe. Hopefully more folks will discover this awesome thread:

Osaurus' Chimichurri:

I use this as a marinade as well as a sauce on skirt steak, flank steak, and many other proteins. All ingredients can be adjusted to your preference, but this is mine:

Ingredients:

2 bunches flat leaf parsley (no stems)

8 cloves garlic (peeled)

5 tablespoons white vinegar

5 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes to taste (I go more than this occasionally)

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Mix everything but the the parsley in a food processor or a blender as an alternative

When the mixture is smooth, start adding 1 bunch of parsley. Run food processor/blender until desired consistency. Add more parsley as needed. I add almost two full bunches.

Most of the time it is just Mrs. Osaurus and me so this batch is quite a bit. Unless I am going to marinade, I just freeze half of it. When you need it, simply thaw it out and re-hydrate with water until you again reach desired consistency. Enjoy!

Time for a bum recipe. Hopefully more folks will discover this awesome thread:Osaurus' Chimichurri:I use this as a marinade as well as a sauce on skirt steak, flank steak, and many other proteins. All ingredients can be adjusted to your preference, but this is mine:Ingredients:2 bunches flat leaf parsley (no stems)8 cloves garlic (peeled)5 tablespoons white vinegar5 tablespoons water1 teaspoon coarse salt1/2 teaspoon dried oregano1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes to taste (I go more than this occasionally)1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper1 cup extra virgin olive oilMix everything but the the parsley in a food processor or a blender as an alternativeWhen the mixture is smooth, start adding 1 bunch of parsley. Run food processor/blender until desired consistency. Add more parsley as needed. I add almost two full bunches.Most of the time it is just Mrs. Osaurus and me so this batch is quite a bit. Unless I am going to marinade, I just freeze half of it. When you need it, simply thaw it out and re-hydrate with water until you again reach desired consistency. Enjoy!

I love a good chimichurri. Being in Miami (Northern Cuba), I get to eat a lot of it along with some delightful churrasco a.k.a. chewy gummy ham as called by my 7-year old. I also get some Salsa de Muerte (Sauce of the Dead for you gringos) to go along with it. Good stuff. I wish I had a recipe for that.

Time for a bum recipe. Hopefully more folks will discover this awesome thread:Osaurus' Chimichurri:I use this as a marinade as well as a sauce on skirt steak, flank steak, and many other proteins. All ingredients can be adjusted to your preference, but this is mine:Ingredients:2 bunches flat leaf parsley (no stems)8 cloves garlic (peeled)5 tablespoons white vinegar5 tablespoons water1 teaspoon coarse salt1/2 teaspoon dried oregano1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes to taste (I go more than this occasionally)1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper1 cup extra virgin olive oilMix everything but the the parsley in a food processor or a blender as an alternativeWhen the mixture is smooth, start adding 1 bunch of parsley. Run food processor/blender until desired consistency. Add more parsley as needed. I add almost two full bunches.Most of the time it is just Mrs. Osaurus and me so this batch is quite a bit. Unless I am going to marinade, I just freeze half of it. When you need it, simply thaw it out and re-hydrate with water until you again reach desired consistency. Enjoy!

I love a good chimichurri. Being in Miami (Northern Cuba), I get to eat a lot of it along with some delightful churrasco a.k.a. chewy gummy ham as called by my 7-year old. I also get some Salsa de Muerte (Sauce of the Dead for you gringos) to go along with it. Good stuff. I wish I had a recipe for that.
de La Muerte, sauce of death, Mr. Gringo. Sauce of the Dead is something entirely different. :yucky: Kidding with you, love chimichurri...wonder how that recipe would be with cilantro instead of parsley?

de La Muerte, sauce of death, Mr. Gringo. Sauce of the Dead is something entirely different. :yucky: Kidding with you, love chimichurri...wonder how that recipe would be with cilantro instead of parsley?
Added some last time. No real difference IMO.

Osaurus' Sweet Potato Cakes with Cilantro Lime Sauce:

4 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes (2 large sweet potatoes)

1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (I use the whole thing)

1 red pepper, diced (optional)

1/2 bunch green onions, diced (optional)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 cup whole milk

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Olive oil for frying

Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce, recipe follows

Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish

In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, vegetables, flour, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper.

In a small bowl lightly beat the milk and egg until well mixed. Add to the sweet potato mixture, stirring, until all the ingredients are well combined.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough vegetable oil to cover bottom of skillet. Drop the sweet potato mixture, by rounded teaspoonfuls, into the hot oil. Press lightly to flatten the mixture to the size of a half dollar. Cook until the cakes are golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the cakes to a serving platter. Top each cake with a small amount of Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Cilantro Cream Lime Sauce:

1 (8-ounce) container sour cream

1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

1 lime, zested and juiced (I add more lime juice)

Pinch salt

In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

You could use an aioli as a topping too. I imagine using lime juice instead of lemon juice would give the same citrus cooling/contrasting effect.

I made my own pizza for the first time last night and it was amazingly good.

1. Take all the ingredients out of the fridge. Let the pizza dough sit for 30 minutes in room temperature. I got mine from Trader Joe but it's probably the same if you buy from any supermarket.

2. Spread some flour on the countertop. I don't have a rolling pin so I just pulled on the dough by hand. I also tried to spin it around in the air like they show on TV but stretched it a little thin in a few spots.

3. Put on the tomato sauce. I used maybe 6-8 spoonful (didn't keep count) of Mezzzetta Fire-Roasted Marinara that was on sale for half price.

4. Next cut up a couple of fresh mozzarella balls into small pieces and throw them on the pie.

5. Chopped up some fresh basil leaves and throw them on the pie as well.

7. Bake in 450 degree preheated oven for 12-14 minutes.

8. Enjoy. :thumbup:

The best pasta salad ever!

BLT Salad

* 1 cup mayonnaise

* 1/3 cup sour cream

juice of 1/2 lemon

* 2 teaspoons sugar

* 2 teaspoons chicken instant bouillon (best is "Better than Bouillon" brand)

* 1 (7 ounce) package rotini pasta cooked according to directions

* 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

* 3 Roma tomatos chopped

* 1/4 cup green onion, sliced

Directions:

Serves 8

1. 1 Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar and bouillon for the dressing. Mix until bouillon is dissolved.

2. 2 Combine rotini, bacon, tomato, and green onion.

3. 3 Pour mayo mixture over the rotini mixture and stir until well blended. Let set at least an hour in fridge before serving.

Osaurus' Grilled Green Tomatoes Caprese

Ingredients:

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

4 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 lb.)

1 (16-oz.) package sliced fresh mozzarella cheese

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add tomatoes, seal, and shake gently to coat. Chill 1 hour.

2. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove tomatoes from marinade, reserving marinade. Grill tomatoes, covered with grill lid, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until tender and grill marks appear.

3. Arrange alternating slices of warm grilled tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on a large, shallow platter. Drizzle with reserved marinade; season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with basil. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Osaurus' Spicy Cole Slaw Dressing

Use any pre-cut bag or chop your own = 1 head cabbage

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup sugar (I use less)

1/4 cup cider vinegar (I use more)

1/4 teaspoon celery seed (I use more like 1 tablespoon)

1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning (I use more like a tablespoon)

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use more like a tablespoon)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I prefer fresh ground)

Salt to taste

You can also do two cups of choc chips if you don't like butterscotch of course, or replace the butterscotch with walnuts if you're a guy that likes nuts (like the real Tobias Funke).

this didn't get enough love :lmao:
  • 1 year later...

We love to cook asparagus on the griddle. First I slice them all in half length wise so they have a flat side. I cook them on the griddle flat side down at 400. I pour salt water over them so they dont burn and it helps soften them up. My son loves the crazy steam too. After they become a bit pliable I remove them from the griddle and make sure all the water is off. I put a drizzle of olive oil on the griddle, let it get real hot and put the asparagus back on. My goal is to then cook it to where it is starting to have black crispy spots on it. I season it with just minced garlic and some salt(salt can be skipped). Then I put shredded Romano cheese on it. You can cook this to your desired texture. I generally make the Romano just a bit crispy. If my wife cooks it, she makes it a little gooey.

For asparagus I am pretty liberal with how much I cut off the bottom. There is nothing worse than an asparagus end that you basically have to spit out because it is too tough.

Learned this watching rachael ray's 30 minute meals...

Poblano fries

3 poblano peppers

4 eggs

Flour

Salt

Pepper

Fresh garlic

Bread crumbs

Cut poblanos into fries

Mix two tablespoonfuls of flour and fresh garlic in with the eggs

Fill bowl with bread crumbs and seasonings

Dip fries into egg/flour mix then dip in bread crumbs

Place on non stick cookie sheet

Bake in oven at 400 until crispy

enjoy.

She also made homemade ranch dressing to go with them. I didnt have the necessary ingredients for this so we just used kraft three cheese ranch and put some southwest seasoning in it.

Panini Potato Sandwich

Baking potato

shredded cheddar cheese(can use other cheeses for the inside, but find cheddar to be best for top)

Flat iron steak

Yellow Onion

Butter

Not going to get into a steak debate, so just cook the steak the way you want. Just keep in mind you will be slicing it fairly thin after it is cooked.

Saute the onion.

Microwave the potato. This step is necessary as you need it soft and the skin cant be crispy yet. You want it to be about 80% cooked.

The potato is basically being used as the bread for this sandwich. A huge baking potato just has too much potato so I slice it. The skin is necessary so I basically cut the potato length wise into thirds. The middle third goes unused. You can slice thinner if you like.

Butter the skin of the potato. Place one piece on the panini press skin down. Place shredded cheese on top. Next is your sliced steak and onions. Followed by shredded cheese and the final potato piece skin up. Smash the panini press down on it evenly and cook until potato is cooked. The cheese will melt, the potato will crisp up nicely. When it is basically fully cooked place a bit more shredded cheddar on the top and smash down again. Now the key here is to keep it down until the cheese has browned. Lift up too early and you have a gooey mess to clean up. Too long and the cheese tastes burnt.

You can easily skip the last step.

My son and wife love it.

Baked goat cheese

This one is incredibly simple and absolutely delicious.

One log of costco goat cheese

Fresh basil

Grape tomatoes

French baguette

Cut goat cheese in half length wise. Place some fresh basil and thinly sliced grape tomatoes and put cheese log back together to form a whole. Place thicker sliced grape tomatoes and fresh basil on top. Cook at 400 until cheese is very hot all the through and incredibly soft. Will be browned on top a bit, which is fine.

Use the baguette to make croquettes.

You can substitute so many things in here no problem. Heck you can just put the goat cheese in the oven with nothing done to it and it is still awesome. Only thing that can go wrong is when slicing the goat cheese make sure it is really cold and I recommend using a plastic cheese knife so it doesnt crumble.

Archived