Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

FBG's Kitchen: The Blog

I love spaghetti carbonara and really liked it when I was in Italy. They don't use any cream and actually prefer this method. This is tough to beat in my opinion, more authentic and most likely you'll always have the ingredients laying around.Ingredients1 T extra-virgin olive oil6 Oz thickly sliced pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (or replace with bacon if you don't have pancetta)2 T kosher salt1 lb spaghetti3 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, well beaten3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano combined with 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano3/4 cup of boiling pasta waterFreshly ground black pepper, to taste (I like a ton of it but adjust accordingly)Steps:1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 2. Add the pancetta (bacon) and sauté, stirring often, until crisp. Slide the pan off the heat and set aside.3. Boil water and add the salt and the spaghetti, stirring often to prevent the pasta from clumping, and cook until al dente. 4. Drain, reserving the 3/4 cup of pasta water, and return the spaghetti while it’s very hot to the pan, set over very low heat. 5. Add the eggs, half the cheese, the reserved pancetta and any rendered fat, and toss well. 6. Add just enough of the pasta water to make the mixture lusciously creamy. 7. Sprinkle generously with pepper and serve at once. 8. Add the remaining cheese to your plate as desired.NOTE: By using the pasta water directly from the pot, it’ll be hot enough to cook the eggs if added slowly and stirred through completely.NOTE2: I tend to let the eggs sit out from the fridge for a bit to reduce the chance of the whites clumping up.

added, and damn this sounds good.
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love spaghetti carbonara and really liked it when I was in Italy. They don't use any cream and actually prefer this method. This is tough to beat in my opinion, more authentic and most likely you'll always have the ingredients laying around.Ingredients1 T extra-virgin olive oil6 Oz thickly sliced pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (or replace with bacon if you don't have pancetta)2 T kosher salt1 lb spaghetti3 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, well beaten3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano combined with 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano3/4 cup of boiling pasta waterFreshly ground black pepper, to taste (I like a ton of it but adjust accordingly)Steps:1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 2. Add the pancetta (bacon) and sauté, stirring often, until crisp. Slide the pan off the heat and set aside.3. Boil water and add the salt and the spaghetti, stirring often to prevent the pasta from clumping, and cook until al dente. 4. Drain, reserving the 3/4 cup of pasta water, and return the spaghetti while it’s very hot to the pan, set over very low heat. 5. Add the eggs, half the cheese, the reserved pancetta and any rendered fat, and toss well. 6. Add just enough of the pasta water to make the mixture lusciously creamy. 7. Sprinkle generously with pepper and serve at once. 8. Add the remaining cheese to your plate as desired.NOTE: By using the pasta water directly from the pot, it’ll be hot enough to cook the eggs if added slowly and stirred through completely.NOTE2: I tend to let the eggs sit out from the fridge for a bit to reduce the chance of the whites clumping up.

added, and damn this sounds good.
It's awesome and so easy to make. Hope you like.

Today I make one of my all time favorite pasta dishes stolen from a restaurant I used to manage way back in the day. It is really just a play on alfredo, but has been known to make people obsessed.Tipsy's Sherried Chicken Linguine2 oz olive oil4 oz (8 pieces) cubed chicken breast2 tbsp reen onions 2 oz sliced mushroomsaltpepper4 oz reduced heavy cream1.5 oz sherry1 tbsp grated pecorino/romanoLinguineAdd oil to sautee pan and heat. Add chicken and sear on one side. Turn chick, add green onions, mush, garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute until chicken is browned and then deglaze pan with sherry. Add cream and pecorino. Once thickened pour over cooked linguine. Open wine. Drink contents. Do not drink the sherry unless you are in prison.I will take some pics for the blog.

It has been a while since I made this and right away I must say the recipe is for an individual plate or two of the stuff. Double everything for a family batch. Pics on the blog.And Joe....The kids devoured the mac n cheese. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any cookbook/recipe software that they really like? I have recipes floating all over the place, printouts, txt files on my desktop, etc, and i'm looking to find a nice program that will allow me to manage all that. There seem to be a bunch around and I could just start trying them, but I figure with the cooks we have here someone must have gone through this all ready. I’m also trying to get my mom to gather up all of our family recipes so some software to do that would be really nice.

Any good suggestions?

Does anyone have any cookbook/recipe software that they really like? I have recipes floating all over the place, printouts, txt files on my desktop, etc, and i'm looking to find a nice program that will allow me to manage all that. There seem to be a bunch around and I could just start trying them, but I figure with the cooks we have here someone must have gone through this all ready. I’m also trying to get my mom to gather up all of our family recipes so some software to do that would be really nice.

Any good suggestions?

This is what I use, which has the advantage of creating PDF cookbooks if you'd like to have some printed for people. It'll also put together shopping lists, keep track of what's in your pantry (with organized entries on your part), and give you more nutritional information than any FBG should ever need.

But that's only if you use a Mac. I don't have any recommedations if you're using a Windows machine.

Any good suggestions?

This is what I use, which has the advantage of creating PDF cookbooks if you'd like to have some printed for people. It'll also put together shopping lists, keep track of what's in your pantry (with organized entries on your part), and give you more nutritional information than any FBG should ever need.

But that's only if you use a Mac. I don't have any recommedations if you're using a Windows machine.

:goodposting: windows

Does anyone have any cookbook/recipe software that they really like? I have recipes floating all over the place, printouts, txt files on my desktop, etc, and i'm looking to find a nice program that will allow me to manage all that. There seem to be a bunch around and I could just start trying them, but I figure with the cooks we have here someone must have gone through this all ready. I’m also trying to get my mom to gather up all of our family recipes so some software to do that would be really nice.Any good suggestions?

I do this and it seems like the :thumbdown: iest thing ever but it works.Get a big 3 ring notebook binder. Put as many tabs as you like in it for whatever makes sense to you.Every recipe goes on a full 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. It works for me. I've bought Mastercook after several people recommended it. But haven't opened the box yet.J

We just use google docs at work. I moved all of our excel files right over and now can just type in a couple of words into their search and find whatever I need right away.

Can you elaborate on that, tipsey? Each recipe is an excel doc? Or a word doc? Do you combine all to make one giant word doc? And then search within that?J

We just use google docs at work. I moved all of our excel files right over and now can just type in a couple of words into their search and find whatever I need right away.

Can you elaborate on that, tipsey? Each recipe is an excel doc? Or a word doc? Do you combine all to make one giant word doc? And then search within that?J
All recipes we have were originally in excel. Being able to scale up or down is very easy in a spreadsheet obviously.Then I uploaded the spreadsheets into google docs (which automatically converts them to their excel like program) into individual files. Putting them all on one spreadsheet would make finding things much more difficult. The search function is something I use all the time in gmail and google docs since we run most of the restaurant through them. It's like any google search, but specifically in your account. If I am looking for an recipe, I just start typing in the name, or a particular ingredient and it immediately starts looking for documents with those words in them.

All recipes we have were originally in excel. Being able to scale up or down is very easy in a spreadsheet obviously.Then I uploaded the spreadsheets into google docs (which automatically converts them to their excel like program) into individual files. Putting them all on one spreadsheet would make finding things much more difficult. The search function is something I use all the time in gmail and google docs since we run most of the restaurant through them. It's like any google search, but specifically in your account. If I am looking for an recipe, I just start typing in the name, or a particular ingredient and it immediately starts looking for documents with those words in them.
Cool. So each recipe is it's individual spreadsheet. That's what I was thinking. I really do feel like I need to get better organized in that area.J

Can you put all the recipes (including Dantes :lmao:) in a google file cabinet and share it to those who are interested? Or maybe start a wiki site with google so people can add their own recipes, pictures, video, etc.

Can you put all the recipes (including Dantes :thumbup:) in a google file cabinet and share it to those who are interested? Or maybe start a wiki site with google so people can add their own recipes, pictures, video, etc.
No on the dantes recipes....chef would stab me in the face. And all the other ones I have from the FFA are on the blog for your use whenever. If you want one added, just leave it here. Perhaps we change formats later but I just did a whole lotta work for the 160 we have so far.

***** Rosemary-Garlic Roasted Chicken *****1 5-6 pound roasting chicken1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped8 garlic cloves, crushed8 medium red onions, peeled and cut into pieces2 whole garlic heads2 tablespoons olive oilPreheat oven to 450. Remove and discard giblets and chicken neck. Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry. Loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing between the skin and the meat. Place chopped rosemary and crushed garlic under skin. Lift the wing tips up and over the back, tucking under the chicken.Place chicken breast side up in broiler pan. Trim ends of onions and remove papery skins from garlic. Do not peel or separate cloves. Brush onions and garlic with oil and arrange around chicken. I tucked in some rosemary, too.Bake at 450 for 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake for another hour and 15 minutes or until chicken reaches 180 degrees.

I tried this recipe because it looked easy. Flavor is good but needs salt and pepper.

Got a pork roast in the crock pot that will end up carnitas for NFL tomorrow.

Recipe to follow if it get a :goodposting: from the masses.

Also, guacamole, salsa and fideo. I'll have to get the wife to share the fideo recipe......outstanding!! I'd rather have this with frijoles than rice anyday!!

Got a pork roast in the crock pot that will end up carnitas for NFL tomorrow.Recipe to follow if it get a :goodposting: from the masses.Also, guacamole, salsa and fideo. I'll have to get the wife to share the fideo recipe......outstanding!! I'd rather have this with frijoles than rice anyday!!

Made pulled pork for today's game. :slurp:

Hi Tipsy,

I don't have pictures to attach with them, but these are some of my favorite recipes:

Exotic Spice Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons baking soda

3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger

1 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature

1 large egg

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon rosewater

3/4 cup turbinado (raw) sugar, for rolling

Directions

Whisk the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, pepper and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Mix in the crystallized ginger. Set aside momentarily.

In a large bowl beat the brown sugar, butter and shortening with an electric mixer until fluffy (do not overbeat-it will add too much air). Add the egg, honey and rosewater and beat until blended. Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, mixing until just until blended. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the turbinado sugar in thick layer onto small plate. Using wet hands, form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing 2 to 3 inches apart.

Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 11 to 13 minutes. Cool on sheets 1 minute. Carefully transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely.

Maple Ginger Cake

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

2 cups cake flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup shortening

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup real maple syrup

2/3 cup sour cream

2 eggs

1/3 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake layer pans.

Sift together into a bowl; cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add the shortening, brown sugar, maple syrup, and 2/3 cup sour cream. Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer set at medium speed. Beat in the eggs and 1/3 cup sour cream and mix for another 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake springs back lightly when touched. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and continue cooling.

Maple Buttercream Frosting Recipe

Recipe Ingredients

2 tablespoons Pennsylvania Maple Syrup

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup butter, softened

4 cups confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons milk

Recipe Directions

To make frosting: cream butter and 1/2 cup shortening together.

Add maple syrup.

Gradually add confectioners' sugar.

Gradually add milk and continue beating until light and airy.

Add more milk if necessary.

Add more maple syrup, if desired.

New England Tenderloin

1 to 1 1/2 pound pork tenderloin

Fresh ground salt to taste

1 large Cortland apple, peeled and diced

2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon fresh butter

Method

Put tenderloin on grill (on medium heat) and cook covered for 8 minutes without disturbing. Turn tenderloin, cover, and cook for 7 minutes more. Turn off grill and let meat rest on grill for 6 minutes more. You want a bit of pink showing in the middle but almost all white. While meat is resting, in a small nonstick sauce pan on the grill's side burner, add diced apples, butter, walnuts and maple syrup. Cook on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Slice tenderloin on bias, arrange on plates, pour apple mixture on top and serve.

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)

Ingredients

1 lb Thinly sliced beef (Preferably beef tenderloin, sliced as thin as possible, against the grain)

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup coke/sprite

4 to 6 tbsp sugar

2 large cloves garlic, minced

1 Kiwi, crushed

3 tbsp sesame seed oil

1 tbsp toasted sesame seed

Black pepper to taste

1 onion, sliced

1 green onion, sliced

Instructions:

In bowl: Mix first five marinade ingredients until sugar has dissolved. Place meat into mixture and mix by hand. After meat and marinade are incorporated, add sesame oil and mix again. Let sit for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight), then cook in skillet with sliced onion over medium-high heat. After 3-5 minutes, plate meat and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onion. Serve over rice.

Chicken with Bourbon-Mustard Sauce

1/4 c. Dijon mustard

1/4 c. bourbon

1/4 c. dark brown sugar

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. salt

2 scallions, thinly sliced

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded 1/4 inch thick

1 tbsp. butter

1 tbsp. oil

Combine mustard, bourbon, brown sugar, Worcestershire, salt and scallions in a non-metal dish. Place chicken in mixture, turning to coat. Cover and marinate at least 1 hour. Reserve marinade.

Heat butter and oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute chicken 3-4 minutes each side until golden. Remove chicken. Pour off fat. Add marinade. Stir and heat to boiling. Serve over chicken. Serves 4-6.

I have plenty more. I'll post as I can.

Crabcakes

Yield: Approximately 6 crab cakes

1/2 lb. Backfin Crab Meat

1 lb. Jumbo Lump Crab Meat

1/4 cup chopped parsley

3/4 cup Ritz crackers, crushed

1 large egg

3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

3/4 tsp. lemon juice

3/4 tsp. seafood seasoning

3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/2 cup mayonnaise

Combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, seafood seasoning, Dijon mustard, and mayonnaise in a bowl. Place the crab meat, parsley, and Ritz crackers into a separate bowl. Mix very lightly to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the crab mixture and combine lightly. Portion into 5-ounce cakes and broil, bake, or pan fry until browned on both sides.

This is the most requested dinner that I make. Very easy to make. Usually I cook them on a flat top grill, 3 minutes each side on medium high heat.

Pork Roast with Raspberry Sauce

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon rubbed sage

1 teaspoon pepper

1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)

SAUCE:

1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 tablespoon lemon juice

3 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional

Directions:

Combine the salt, sage and pepper; rub over entire roast. Place roast fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.

For the sauce, drain raspberries, reserving liquid. Set berries aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 3/4 cup. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, spices and 1/2 cup raspberry juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and remaining raspberry juice until smooth; stir into the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, lemon juice, food coloring if desired and reserved raspberries.

Let roast stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve with raspberry sauce. Yield: 10 servings.

I made this for Christmas dinner as and paired with a Smoked Turkey. It got major thumbs up.

CrabcakesYield: Approximately 6 crab cakes1/2 lb. Backfin Crab Meat1 lb. Jumbo Lump Crab Meat1/4 cup chopped parsley3/4 cup Ritz crackers, crushed1 large egg3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce3/4 tsp. lemon juice3/4 tsp. seafood seasoning3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard1/2 cup mayonnaise Combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, seafood seasoning, Dijon mustard, and mayonnaise in a bowl. Place the crab meat, parsley, and Ritz crackers into a separate bowl. Mix very lightly to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the crab mixture and combine lightly. Portion into 5-ounce cakes and broil, bake, or pan fry until browned on both sides.This is the most requested dinner that I make. Very easy to make. Usually I cook them on a flat top grill, 3 minutes each side on medium high heat.

ooooh, I love crab cakes! :goodposting:

Apple, Chicken and Smoked Gouda Salad

3 boned and skinned chicken breast halves

8 cups spinach leaves -- torn

2 red bell peppers -- chopped

1/2 cup red onion -- sliced into rings

1/2 pound Granny Smith apples -- thinly sliced

1/2 cup nonfat honey mustard salad dressing

1/2 cup Gouda cheese -- smoked, grated

Preheat broiler. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into chunks.

Combine chicken, spinach, bell pepper, onion, and apple in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad, and toss well. Sprinkle with cheese.

I also use a poppyseed dressing with this salad.

Spinach Cornbread

1 Box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

4 oz. Cottage Cheese

2 Eggs

¼ cup milk

¾ stick melted butter

1 onion- diced

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach (drained)

1 tsp salt

1 Tbsp sugar

Mix all ingredients. Pour into greased pie plate. Bake at 400 deg for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Spinach Cornbread1 Box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix4 oz. Cottage Cheese2 Eggs¼ cup milk¾ stick melted butter1 onion- diced1 pkg frozen chopped spinach (drained)1 tsp salt1 Tbsp sugarMix all ingredients. Pour into greased pie plate. Bake at 400 deg for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

I never had cornbread with spinach. Must give this a try. :goodposting:

Spinach Cornbread1 Box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix4 oz. Cottage Cheese2 Eggs¼ cup milk¾ stick melted butter1 onion- diced1 pkg frozen chopped spinach (drained)1 tsp salt1 Tbsp sugarMix all ingredients. Pour into greased pie plate. Bake at 400 deg for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top.

I never had cornbread with spinach. Must give this a try. :thumbup:
Sounds good, but I will probably add corn and jalepenos, too.

Sweet and Salty Potatoes

7 to 8 oz. shallots or sweet onions

1 1/2 lbs small red-skinned potatoes

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

4 stems fresh rosemary, about 4 to 6 inches long

1 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper

Peel shallots and chop into pieces roughly 1/2 inch square. Place in a large non-reactive bowl. Cut potatoes into quarters. (if you are using large potatoes, cut them into quarters, then cut the half-moons in half). Place in the bowl with the shallots. Pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil over them. Stir to mix. Remove rosemary leaves for the woody stems and add to bowl with salt and pepper and stir to mix. Pour into heavy 13 x 9 roasting pan or baking dish. Bake at 450 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature. The potatoes can be wrapped in foil and reheated at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or reheated on the grill for 10 minutes (turn once or twice).

These are my family's favorite way to make potatoes. Very easy to do.

Here's a really simple chicken dish that goes great with rice. I also use the cooked garlic and spread it either in my rice or on thickly sliced French bread.

20 Garlic Cloves and Chicken

Ingredients

1 package of chicken thighs

1/2 cup + 2 T olive oil

10 sprigs fresh thyme

20 peeled cloves garlic

Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper.

Toss with a 2 T olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat.

Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve.

I also love to use the garlic infused oil over rice and the chicken.

~~~ Vienna "OMG! Is this for real?" Apple Strudel ~~~

Preparation Time: 2hrs 15mins to 3hrs 30mins

15-20 min to make dough

30-90 min to let dough rest/to prepare the filling

20-30 min to roll out and stretch dough

10 min to fill and roll dough

30 min to bake

30 min to cool

Ingredients

2 tablespoons golden rum

3 tablespoons raisins

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, divided

1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs

strudel dough (recipe below)

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

2 pounds tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch-thick slices (use apples that hold their shape during baking)

1. Mix the rum and raisins in a bowl. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in another bowl.

2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the breadcrumbs and cook whilst stirring until golden and toasted. This will take about 3 minutes. Let it cool completely.

3. Put the rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Make the strudel dough as described below. Spread about 3 tablespoons of the remaining melted butter over the dough using your hands (a bristle brush could tear the dough, you could use a special feather pastry brush instead of your hands). Sprinkle the buttered dough with the bread crumbs.

Spread the walnuts about 3 inches from the short edge of the dough in a 6-inch wide strip. Mix the apples with the raisins (including the rum), and the cinnamon sugar. Spread the mixture over the walnuts.

4. Fold the short end of the dough onto the filling. Lift the tablecloth at the short end of the dough so that the strudel rolls onto itself. Transfer the strudel to the prepared baking sheet by lifting it with a wide spatula. Curve it into a horseshoe to fit. Tuck the ends under the strudel. Brush the top with the remaining melted butter.

5. Bake the strudel for about 30 minutes or until it is deep golden brown. Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Use a serrated knife and serve either warm or at room temperature. It is best on the day it is baked.

Note: Make sure the filling is without any liquid. Sometimes if you leave the mixture (apple +cinnamon) for a while, the apple will ooze out liquid. To make step 4 easier, it is very essential to flour the tablecloth liberally.

~~~ Strudel Dough ~~~

1 1/3 cups unbleached flour

1/8 teaspoon salt

7 tablespoons water, plus more if needed

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus additional for coating the dough

1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar

1. Combine the flour and salt in a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix the water, oil and vinegar in a measuring cup. Add the water/oil mixture to the flour with the mixer on low speed. You will get a soft dough. Make sure it is not too dry, add a little more water if necessary.

Take the dough out of the mixer. Change to the dough hook. Put the dough ball back in the mixer. Let the dough knead on medium until you get a soft dough ball with a somewhat rough surface.

2. Take the dough out of the mixer and continue kneading by hand on an unfloured work surface. Knead for about 2 minutes. Pick up the dough and throw it down hard onto your working surface occasionally. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer it to a plate. Oil the top of the dough ball lightly. Cover the ball tightly with plastic wrap. Allow to stand for 30-90 minutes (longer is better).

3. It would be best if you have a work area that you can walk around on all sides like a 36 inch round table or a work surface of 23 x 38 inches. Cover your working area with table cloth, dust it with flour and rub it into the fabric. Put your dough ball in the middle.

Pick the dough up by holding it by an edge. This way the weight of the dough and gravity can help stretching it as it hangs. Using the back of your hands to gently stretch and pull the dough. You can use your forearms to support it.

4. The dough will become too large to hold. Put it on your work surface. Leave the thicker edge of the dough to hang over the edge of the table. Place your hands underneath the dough and stretch and pull the dough thinner using the backs of your hands. Stretch and pull the dough until it's about 2 feet wide and 3 feet long, it will be tissue-thin by this time. Cut away the thick dough around the edges with scissors. The dough is now ready to be filled.

Note: A few small holes in the dough is not a problem as the dough will be rolled, making most of the holes invisible.

~~~ Sloppy Joe ~~~

serves 4

Ingredients

1 lb ground beef

2-3 stalks celery, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup barbecue sauce

1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon dry mustard

salt and pepper

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon vinegar

1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef, celery and onion.

2. Drain the fat.

3. Stir in remaining ingredients, simmer covered, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. If Joes appear too 'loose', leave cover off and let moisture evaporate.

5. Cook until it's the consistency you like for serving on toasted buns.

Anyone have a good blackened chicken recipe or more of a technique.

Blackened works best on things that cook quickly (like fish) or you can serve rare (like steak).First you need a blackened seasoning- a good basic one:One Tablespoon each:Black PepperRed PepperWhite pepperGarlic PowderGarlic SaltThymeBasilOreganoChili PowderCuminOnion Powder x3Mix these all up and use the leftovers for next timePress the seasoning into the meatHeat butter in skillet until smokingAdd seasoned meat and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove meat. Add more butter, tehn cook other side.With fish or steak, you are now finished (let the steak rest)For chicken, you should finish it off in the oven (350 degreess) until cooked through

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)

Ingredients

1 lb Thinly sliced beef (Preferably beef tenderloin, sliced as thin as possible, against the grain)

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup coke/sprite

4 to 6 tbsp sugar

2 large cloves garlic, minced

1 Kiwi, crushed

3 tbsp sesame seed oil

1 tbsp toasted sesame seed

Black pepper to taste

1 onion, sliced

1 green onion, sliced

Instructions:

In bowl: Mix first five marinade ingredients until sugar has dissolved. Place meat into mixture and mix by hand. After meat and marinade are incorporated, add sesame oil and mix again. Let sit for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight), then cook in skillet with sliced onion over medium-high heat. After 3-5 minutes, plate meat and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onion. Serve over rice.

:thumbdown:

I'm making my world famous "street" tacos tonight. I'll figure out what I do and come back here to report. They are super simple and are amazing.

start hiding dogs
Sorry to disappoint, but no dogs were harmed in the making of this meal.Nugget's Street Tacos1 lb Chicken Breast ( if you can find a fajita cut or thin chicken breasts it will save a bit of time)White Corn Tortillas ( I get a 30 pack of the ones that are a bit smaller than my hand, 6-8 inch diameter?)1 can of corn1 can of black beans1 large tomato1 can of diced green chiles1 bunch of cilantroVegetable OilSalt PepperDice the tomato, chop the cilantro, and mix in a large bowl with the corn (drained), black beans (drained), and the chiles (not drained). This is your salsa. Put aside at room temperature.While the chicken is raw, dice into small pieces (maybe just smaller than a penny). If you can find someone to pre-dice the chicken at the store that would save most of the time. It takes me amount 15 minutes to pound and dice a pound of chicken. The fajita cut already saves some knife time as it is already cut length wise. Thin breast cuts allow you to not have to pound. Once the chicken is diced, heat a skillet on high heat and add just enough vegetable oil to coat the pan. I'm sure olive oil is healthier, but I'm cheap and these are street tacos. Once it is really hot, add the diced chicken and liberally apply salt and pepper. Stir the chicken around for about 5 minutes until it is nice and golden. Drain the excess liquid and transfer chicken into another serving bowl or plate. Turn the heat down to medium high heat and add some more vegetable oil. This is where we are going to make our taco shells kinda crispy. After the oil has had time to heat up (2 minutes), add a corn tortilla and using tongs push down on the tortilla to make sure it gets covered on both sides. Flip after 15-20 seconds, cook for another 5-10 seconds, pull out with the tongs and let excess oil drip back into the skillet. Place hot tortilla on a plate with a paper towel. Drop the next tortilla in the oil and while it is cooking, using the tons to fold the cooling tortilla in half. Repeat for how many Tacos you want to make. The chicken will provide for about 12-16 tacos, depending on how much you fill them. Take the take taco shells, scoop 1.5 spoonfuls of chicken (about an ounce) and scoop 2 spoons of salsa. This is all to sight, make them how you want. I usually serve with a salad with a jalapeno ranch and I eat about 4 tacos for a meal. I have put 6 down at a sitting.You will have left over salsa. Tonight I used the leftover salsa from Monday night. I also use the salsa on salads or with scrambled eggs. It can go with about anything.ETA: If you have some limes, I like to cut them into 8 pieces and squeeze lime juice of the taco. I didn't have any limes tonight, so I forgot to mention them.

Ratatouille (not the movie)

Nothing made entirely of vegetables should taste this good.

1 medium eggplant

1 pound zucchini (you want about as much zuc as eggplant)

1 large yellow onion sliced thin

2 green peppers sliced thin

2 cloves garlic mashed

1.5 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded

3 tbsp minced parsley

olive oil as needed

Peel eggplant and slice into approx. 3x1x1/4 inch slices

Cut zucchini into similar size (don't peel)

Put zucchini and eggplant into a collander, salt and let drain for about half an hour (this is a good time to prepare the rest of the veggies). Rinse, drain and dry them when done.

Fry the eggplant and zucchini in olive oil in batches until lightly browned and set aside to drain on paper towels.

Once that's done, saute the onion and peppers until softened and starting to brown. Add the garlic in the last minute

Coarsely dice the tomatoes and add to the pan, cook for about 5 minutes or so until the tomatoes start to release their juices.

Add the eggplant, zucchini and parsley, some salt and pepper, carefully mix and simmer gently covered for about 15 minutes. Stir only gently while this cooks.

Uncover and cook the mixture down until only a little liquid remains, 15-20 mins.

Salt and pepper to taste if more is needed

Fantastic hot. Even better cold with a little vinegar. Some recipes are more involved than this one and require you to carefully baste the mixture with the juices at then final cooking phase in order to preserve the vegetables, but I find if you're careful you can just mix it gently.

Can you put all the recipes (including Dantes ;)) in a google file cabinet and share it to those who are interested? Or maybe start a wiki site with google so people can add their own recipes, pictures, video, etc.
No on the dantes recipes....chef would stab me in the face.
Worth a try :popcorn:

Here's my favorite fall salad recipe...

Grilled Apple Salad

6 Tbls - E.V.O.O.

1/4 C - Orange Juice

1/4 C - Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 C - Cilantro Leaves

2 Tbls - Honey

1/2 tsp - Salt

1 Tbls - Sweet Chili Sauce

1 tsp - Hot Chili Sauce

1 - Garlic Clove

2 - Apples

8 C - Spring Mix

1 C - Walnuts

1/2 C - Blue Cheese

Combine first 9 ingredients in a jar for dressing. Pour 1/4 C of dressing over apples to marinate for 10 minutes. Grill apples until golden brown and slightly soft. Arrange salad on 4 plates. Top with walnuts and blue cheese and drizzle with remaining dressing.

If I'm going to enjoy all of these, I may as well contribute :excited: This is one of the tastiest soups I've ever had, and it will fit in perfectly with the approaching fall and winter days.

Italian Sausage Potato Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cups chopped onions

2 cups chopped celery

½ cup chopped carrot

1 pound ground Italian sausage, whatever brand you like (I usually use medium, but spicy, sweet, etc. are fine also)

4-6 slices pancetta diced

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

1 sprig of fresh thyme

2 bay leaves

½ tablespoon oregano

6 white potatoes, diced

2 cups chicken stock

1 pint cream

Salt and black pepper

1/4 cup chopped parsley

Add half the oil to a pan and brown the pancetta (bacon can be substituted if desired). Remove and set on paper towel to absorb the grease. Sauté the onion, celery, and carrots. Add the sausage and continue to sauté until browned. Drain fat off. Stir in the garlic and herbs. Add the potatoes and stock. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes. Once stock is reduced add cream. A tablespoon of flour may be added to thicken if you wish. Add chopped parsley and season the soup with salt and pepper.

Today I make one of my all time favorite pasta dishes stolen from a restaurant I used to manage way back in the day. It is really just a play on alfredo, but has been known to make people obsessed.

Tipsy's Sherried Chicken Linguine

2 oz olive oil

4 oz (8 pieces) cubed chicken breast

2 tbsp reen onions

2 oz sliced mushroom

salt

pepper

4 oz reduced heavy cream

1.5 oz sherry

1 tbsp grated pecorino/romano

Linguine

Add oil to sautee pan and heat. Add chicken and sear on one side. Turn chick, add green onions, mush, garlic, salt, and pepper. Saute until chicken is browned and then deglaze pan with sherry. Add cream and pecorino. Once thickened pour over cooked linguine.

Open wine. Drink contents. Do not drink the sherry unless you are in prison.

I will take some pics for the blog.

:lmao:

This looks great and looking for a different take on an alfredo sauce. What type of mushrooms do you use/prefer?

Since this is a heavy cream sauce, I don't bother with fancy mushrooms. These are the classic grocery store white button mushrooms.
:lol:

Tips, I made this last night and friends loved it.

I used spinach tagliatelle and didn't have have any sherry and noticed you left out how much garlic so I chopped up two large cloves.

This was great and feed three people. Served with spinach salad and toasted sourdough bread.

Here's a really simple chicken dish that goes great with rice. I also use the cooked garlic and spread it either in my rice or on thickly sliced French bread.20 Garlic Cloves and ChickenIngredients1 package of chicken thighs1/2 cup + 2 T olive oil10 sprigs fresh thyme20 peeled cloves garlicSalt and pepperDirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F.Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with a 2 T olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat. Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve. I also love to use the garlic infused oil over rice and the chicken.

This sounds really good. But a couple of questions...1) Exactly how many thighs are we talking here?2) Are the thighs skinless/boneless; skin with bone; or skin/boneless?I'm going to roast this in a Romertopf clay pot. Also thinking of reducing 1/2 of the oil (to reduce the fat) and adding something like bourbon or white wine in its place. It seems like this could have multiple variations too...being from Idaho I think the garlic(y) sauce might do well on smashed potatoes (for instance).

Here's a really simple chicken dish that goes great with rice. I also use the cooked garlic and spread it either in my rice or on thickly sliced French bread.20 Garlic Cloves and ChickenIngredients1 package of chicken thighs1/2 cup + 2 T olive oil10 sprigs fresh thyme20 peeled cloves garlicSalt and pepperDirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F.Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with a 2 T olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat. Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve. I also love to use the garlic infused oil over rice and the chicken.

This sounds really good. But a couple of questions...1) Exactly how many thighs are we talking here?2) Are the thighs skinless/boneless; skin with bone; or skin/boneless?I'm going to roast this in a Romertopf clay pot. Also thinking of reducing 1/2 of the oil (to reduce the fat) and adding something like bourbon or white wine in its place. It seems like this could have multiple variations too...being from Idaho I think the garlic(y) sauce might do well on smashed potatoes (for instance).
I usually put in at least 6 thighs which usually comes in a package but I've also added more but either way you don't have to change the ingredients. If you want to double the amount of thighs you can always up the amount of garlic as you see fit.I've had the thighs boneless and with bones and either way usually skinless or little skin. I only prefer boneless when I make it for myself and my kids, easier to cut up but w/o kids I try and get them with bones. Can't go wrong either way though.

Tipsy's White Trash Pork Chops

Coat pork chops with vegetable oil, meat seasoning blend, powdered mustard, and creole mustard. Let stand for 1 hour in fridge.

Cook covered in oven for 35 minutes @350

Top with sliced dill pickle and american cheese slice. Broil for 4 minutes or just before the cheese burns.

Eat shirtless and with cheap american beer.

This is an adaptation from my mom's recipe I have loved my entire life.

Forgot about posting this:

BBQ Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts

1 can black beans

1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped

1/4 cup green onions

pico de gallo or 2 medium tomatoes chopped

1 cup corn

6 slices of cooked bacon

1/2 cup shredded cheese (mexican blend preferable)

Ranch dressing

BBQ sauce (homemade or otherwise)

French fried onions (optional)

Salad greens (any kind will do, but I prefer darker greens)

Salt and pepper to taste

First step is to combine the green onions black beans, and cilantro and mix them together and add BBQ sauce. Set it aside.

Prepare your chicken breasts for BBQ. I grilled them, but you can cook them any want you want. Once they are done, set them aside.

Mix the salad and corn together with Ranch dressing so that the salad is coated, but not too heavy with dressing.

Place the salad in two parts (this makes two servings) into large bowls or on plates. Create a ring of salad leaving a small opening in the center.

Take the black bean and cilantro mix and place 1/2 of it in each plate/bowl center.

Cut the BBQ chicken in slices and place it on top of the black bean/cilantro mix

Place dollops of pico de gallo or tomatoes around the outside of the plate/bowl

Sprinkle shredded cheese across the plate/bowl

Sprinkle hand crumbled bacon across the plate/bowl

Add french fried onions (optional)

Run BBQ sauce across the plate/bowl in small streaks. I use a squeeze bottle to get the desired effect.

This is a delicious salad that is big on taste. Enjoy!

Here is a pic of the salad I made the other night.

I have always aspired to open my own family style southern joint. One of the things holding me back (besides the financing) is that I am no chef. I have been in the restaurant business since I was 13, but I am only an skilled cook at best...not a chef. However, I know I can train myself and eventually others to cook the type of southern food that would make you slap my grandmother....and some of my cooking is close to that already. Part of my self imposed training is to start making entrees and side dishes I have always cheated with or just had someone else do.

Today was my first attempt at making baked beans that didn't start with a can of beans made by someone else.

Tipsy's Scratch Baked Beans

(a work in progress...click on link for pics)

1 pound great northern beans

6 slices of bacon

1 onion

Handful of ham cubes

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup molasses

Cumin

Cayanne

Salt

Pepper

Soak beans overnight. Simmer beans in water and chicken stock with ham, salt, and pepper. Cook on low boil until fairly tender.

Saute onions and bacon until onions are semi soft and bacon pieces are not completely done. Add bacon, drained beans and ham, molasses, and brown sugar. I seasoned this batch with a little cumin and cayanne....but very small amounts as I wanted to have a base to work with here.

Bake mixture in oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees. I would do this baking in the smoker if available, but again I wanted a baseline set of beans this time.

1. Holy crap these are good.

2. A touch sweet and not sure what spices it needs, but this was a great first step and close to sell-able.

Another side dish I have never made on my own are au gratin potatoes. I've always been around kitchens with very qualified cooks to do this for me....and it just is a dish i never have even thought about making. :popcorn:

Tipsy's Potatoes Au Gratin

4 potatoes

1 stick of butter

3 cups heavy cream

12 oz shredded cheddar

1 cup goat cheese

3 garlic toes

2 tbl flour

1 cup chopped bacon pieces (cooked)

Peel and thinly slice potatoes on mandolin. See through thickness. Soak in cold water.

In pot, melt butter, add flour and start a basic roux. After a couple of minutes, add cream and heat to boiling. Never stop stirring.

Remove from heat, add cheeses, garlic, and bacon. Stir until melted. Combine with dried off potatoes in casserole dish. Bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 30 minutes at 325. Top with more cheddar and goat cheese and broil for a few minutes until darkening.

Pictures

The potatoes and the beans are going with a beer can chicken brined in the mix Joe put together for his smokin' joes chicken. Dinner at 6.

Archived