BBQ Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts

1 can black beans

1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped

1/4 cup green onions

pico de gallo or 2 medium tomatoes chopped

1 cup corn

6 slices of cooked bacon

1/2 cup shredded cheese (mexican blend preferable)

Ranch dressing

BBQ sauce (homemade or otherwise)

French fried onions (optional)

Salad greens (any kind will do, but I prefer darker greens)

Salt and pepper to taste

First step is to combine the green onions black beans, and cilantro and mix them together and add BBQ sauce. Set it aside.

Prepare your chicken breasts for BBQ. I grilled them, but you can cook them any want you want. Once they are done, set them aside.

Mix the salad and corn together with Ranch dressing so that the salad is coated, but not too heavy with dressing.

Place the salad in two parts (this makes two servings) into large bowls or on plates. Create a ring of salad leaving a small opening in the center.

Take the black bean and cilantro mix and place 1/2 of it in each plate/bowl center.

Cut the BBQ chicken in slices and place it on top of the black bean/cilantro mix

Place dollops of pico de gallo or tomatoes around the outside of the plate/bowl

Sprinkle shredded cheese across the plate/bowl

Sprinkle hand crumbled bacon across the plate/bowl

Add french fried onions (optional)

Run BBQ sauce across the plate/bowl in small streaks. I use a squeeze bottle to get the desired effect.

This is a delicious salad that is big on taste. Enjoy!

Here is a pic of the salad I made the other night.

Added with your pic.....this looks good!
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another side dish I have never made on my own are au gratin potatoes. I've always been around kitchens with very qualified cooks to do this for me....and it just is a dish i never have even thought about making. :coffee:

Tipsy's Potatoes Au Gratin

4 potatoes

1 stick of butter

3 cups heavy cream

12 oz shredded cheddar

1 cup goat cheese

3 garlic toes

2 tbl flour

1 cup chopped bacon pieces (cooked)

Peel and thinly slice potatoes on mandolin. See through thickness. Soak in cold water.

In pot, melt butter, add flour and start a basic roux. After a couple of minutes, add cream and heat to boiling. Never stop stirring.

Remove from heat, add cheeses, garlic, and bacon. Stir until melted. Combine with dried off potatoes in casserole dish. Bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 30 minutes at 325. Top with more cheddar and goat cheese and broil for a few minutes until darkening.

Pictures

The potatoes and the beans are going with a beer can chicken brined in the mix Joe put together for his smokin' joes chicken. Dinner at 6.

Really delicious, but just a touch too cream/rich. I think I used too much cheese and heavy cream. I think had I stayed closer to the above directions I wrote out I might have had a better product.

Still....I cannot quit eating them.

Guest The Ghost of Common

2 Recipes I've sort of developed on my own after years of being a bachelor.

I like very salty, asian flavors (teriyaki, soy, etc).

These are easy and require only a few ingredients which is good for a bachelor.

GoC's Beef Chow Mein

1 Large Onion

3 Stalks Celery

Soy Sauce

Corn Starch

1 lb Ground Beef

Garlic Powder

Beef Broth

Thinly slice up one large white or yellow onion. Leave it in long thing strips.

Chop celery into small 1/2" pieces.

Sautee in non stick pan for about 8 minutes until soft. Do not caramelize or cook til translucent.

Add 1 lb ground beef and brown (you can remove the veggies for this part).

Add your veggies back in and add pepper and Garlic Powder

Cook together another 4 or 5 minutes.

Add one container of beef broth (I think roughly 16 ounces). Just add enough so all the veggies are covered with broth.

Cook for about 5 minutes on medium high (simmer).

On the side make a slurry using 2 table spoons of corn starch, 1 table spoon of sugar and instead of water using Soy Sauce. About 2 tablespoons.

Add slurry to your pan and mix.

Let it simmer another 5 minutes or so, until the chow mein has thickened.

Take off heat and either serve over white rice or add crispy noodles to the top. I prefer crispy chow mein noodles.

It's very good if you're ok with all the salt. I'm a salt addict, I love it.

Guest The Ghost of Common

GoC's Asian Kielbasa and Rice

Another bachelor recipe with only a few ingredients

Link of Kielbasa (I use turkey Kielbasa)

White rice

Onion

Soy Sauce

Worcestershire Sauce

Vegetable of choice (optional, I use broccoli)

Chop an onion and sautee until almost translucent.

Add half to a full link of kielbasa and brown it up with the onion.

Add however much rice you would like to have and toast it up for 90 seconds or so.

Add your water, but instead of all water, replace 25% of the water with a combination of Soy Sauce and Worcestershire sauce. You have to play with the ratios to your taste. I prefer about an 8th of a cup of Soy sauce and about 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire.

Add the water/soy/Worcestershire sauce mixture to your pain.

Cover and let the rice absorb the mixture.

I usually add a pack of steamed broccoli and mix it altogether. Sugar Snap peas or green pepper would work as well.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.

love this one
First day of the year that really felt like Fall, so I gave JSLC a shot for the first time. Absolutely wonderful. I've honestly never had or made chili the proper way (with actual chunks of beef as opposed to ground beef) and I doubt I'll ever go back.I was curious and a bit concerned about putting all that beer (I used SA Boston Ale) in there, but it worked great. It left behind a nice depth and a hint of sweetness.I did make some minor adjustments based on what was on hand. Instead of Cayenne, I pureed some canned Chipotle's in with the rehydrated dried chiles (I can never find New Mexico's around here, so I used California chiles). I also used tomato sauce b/c I forgot to pick tomato soup. And I used a cheap bourbon instead of Jack.I'll be making this many more times.
  • 3 weeks later...

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.1/3 Cup of Olive Oil5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)1 pound of pork sausage3 large onions chopped6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)1 small can of tomato paste1 can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper2 tsp oregano2 TS of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt13 oz of beef broth36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)1 shot of Jack Daniels34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans) Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside. In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup. Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time. Garnish with green onion and cheese.

love this one
First day of the year that really felt like Fall, so I gave JSLC a shot for the first time. Absolutely wonderful. I've honestly never had or made chili the proper way (with actual chunks of beef as opposed to ground beef) and I doubt I'll ever go back.I was curious and a bit concerned about putting all that beer (I used SA Boston Ale) in there, but it worked great. It left behind a nice depth and a hint of sweetness.I did make some minor adjustments based on what was on hand. Instead of Cayenne, I pureed some canned Chipotle's in with the rehydrated dried chiles (I can never find New Mexico's around here, so I used California chiles). I also used tomato sauce b/c I forgot to pick tomato soup. And I used a cheap bourbon instead of Jack.I'll be making this many more times.
Nice - now repay me with a lock in the Breeder's Cup!

Sweet and Salty Potatoes7 to 8 oz. shallots or sweet onions1 1/2 lbs small red-skinned potatoes1/4 cup balsamic vinegar1/4 cup olive oil4 stems fresh rosemary, about 4 to 6 inches long1 tbsp kosher salt1 tbsp freshly ground black pepperPeel shallots and chop into pieces roughly 1/2 inch square. Place in a large non-reactive bowl. Cut potatoes into quarters. (if you are using large potatoes, cut them into quarters, then cut the half-moons in half). Place in the bowl with the shallots. Pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil over them. Stir to mix. Remove rosemary leaves for the woody stems and add to bowl with salt and pepper and stir to mix. Pour into heavy 13 x 9 roasting pan or baking dish. Bake at 450 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature. The potatoes can be wrapped in foil and reheated at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or reheated on the grill for 10 minutes (turn once or twice).These are my family's favorite way to make potatoes. Very easy to do.

we do a very similar recipe, but we haven't used balsamic vinegar. We do usually top with parmasean cheese, finely grately. :scared:

Some fantastic stuff here. I've got a white chicken chili and a creamy orzo & wild rice salad I have to dig up.

White chicken chili:1 15oz can Northern beans1 large yellow onion, chopped1 stick unsalted butter1/4c flour3/4c chicken broth2c half&half1t tabasco sauce2 4oz cans small green chopped chilis5 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved, boiled & shredded1 1/2t chili powder1t ground cumin1/2t salt1/2t white pepperSaute onion in 4t of butter until soft. In a separate heavy pan melt remaining butter & whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly for 3 min, without browning. Stir in cooked onion and gradually add broth and half&half. Whisking constantly, bring to a boil and simmer 5 min. Stir in tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt & white pepper. Add beans, chilis, chicken and simmer, stirring for 20 min. Garnish with sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese.

I am loving this site. How about some Thanksgiving day recipes??? Thanks.

I will post my caesar green bean recipe. Usually have it as an alternative to green bean casserole. NTTAWWT.

need recipes for:

sole meuniere

salad composee

beurre blanc

consomme

and

ratatoulle

kthx

Menueire is both the sauce and metood of preparation.

Dredge a fish fillet in seasoned flour (flour with salt and pepper).

Heat butter in a skillet til brown (or noisette), it will have a nutty aroma when browning, hence the French word for hazelnut (noisette)

Put the fillet in the browned butter in the skillet, keeping it on med-hi heat. Brown and turn over and brown the other side.

Remove the fillet to a warm plate.

Squeeze a lemon into the remaining butter in the skillet, throw in some fresh chopped parsley and a shot of white wine. Flame (flambe) the skillet to cook off the alcohol then pour the sauce over your fish.

A simple, classic preparation can be used for most any fish, especially a mild fish liek trout or sole.

Variations include throwing in some almonds or capers.

need recipes for:

sole meuniere

salad composee

beurre blanc

consomme

and

ratatoulle

kthx

Buere blanc (butter white) is a very rich sauce - predominantly butter.

It is a difficult sauce for noobs, since the emulsification of the sauce is from small bits of butter into a base. If the base is too hot or the bits of butter too large, you will "break" the sauce.

First you make your base. It can be about anything. I've used Margaritas, liquers, or more traditionally, some shallots in white wine.

Reduce the base in a skillet over high heat by 3/4s (e.g., start with half a cup and reduce to 1/8 of a cup)

Take a pound of butter and cut it into small bits, about 1/4 of a pat.

Turn the heat on your base down low and using a whisk, begin rapidly stirring your base and throwing in bits of butter one at a time to emulsify the butter into the base. You will occaisionally need to remove the skillet from the heat to keep it from getting too hot and breaking the emulsification. It is time consumning and delicate to do just right, but practice makes perfect. Buy a few pounds of butter and practice some weekend. - I could show you how better than I can write it up.

need recipes for:

sole meuniere

salad composee

beurre blanc

consomme

and

ratatoulle

kthx

Consumme is just stock, but it is "fined" with egg white to remove any sediment or bits floating around in the broth. Typically it is made from beef. Roast bones in the oven, tehn cover with water in a stock pot and heat very slowly overnight. Next day add some whipped eff whites to the stock for half an hour and then strain out. The whites shoudl have attached to any impurities or sediment in the stock, leaving a clear dark consomme. THis is another thing that take sa LOT of practice to get right, but this is the basic technique.

Chicken consomme is easier. Just heat the chicken bones over VERY low heat for 5-6 hours and gently pour the broth out of the top 2/3s of the pot, If you did it low and slow enough, it should be a beautiful gold color.

Herbed Pasta With Feta Cheese

Adapted from recipe in Penzeys Spices catalog.

An easy, meatless pasta meal served with crusty bread. The herbs give great flavor to the dish, and the combination of tomatoes, feta and olives can’t be beat.

1 lb. package fresh angel hair pasta

1/4 Cup olive oil

1 Tb. parsley

1 tsp. cracked rosemary

1 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. marjoram

1 can of diced tomatoes

1 small can of chopped black olives

1-2 Tb. balsamic or red wine vinegar

4 oz of feta cheese, crumbled

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While the water for the pasta is heating, mix olive oil, parsley, rosemary, basil and marjoram together and let stand for 5 minutes. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, which is usually only 3-4 minutes or so for angel hair pasta. When the pasta is almost done cooking, add the vinegar, feta cheese, olives, and tomatoes to the oil and mix lightly. Drain the pasta and rinse briefly. Toss the pasta and sauce together. Serve with crusty French bread.

Serves: 4 for lunch or 6 as a side dish.

Prep. time: 10 minutes.

Cooking time: 10 minutes.

Simple Lasagna with Hearty Tomato-Meat Sauce

(From America’s Test Kitchen)

Serves 6 to 8

If you can't find meatloaf mixture for the sauce, substitute 1/2 pound ground beef and 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, for the meatloaf mixture. The assembled, unbaked lasagna, if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil, will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. To bake, defrost it in the refrigerator for a day or two and bake as directed, extending the baking time by about 5 minutes.

Tomato-Meat Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)

6 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)

1 pound meatloaf mix

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 can (28 ounces) pureed tomatoes

1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained

Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Pasta Layers

15 ounces whole milk or part-skim ricotta cheese (1 3/4 cups)

2 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/4 cups)

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

12 no-boil lasagna noodles from one 8- or 9-ounce package

16 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 cups)

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes; add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground meats, salt, and pepper; cook, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon, until meat loses its raw color but has not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and only fat remains, about 4 minutes. Add pureed and drained diced tomatoes and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer slowly until flavors are blended, about 3 minutes; set sauce aside. (Sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for 2 days; reheat before assembling lasagna.)

3. Mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, salt, and pepper in medium bowl with fork until creamy; set aside.

4. Smear entire bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 1/4 cup meat sauce (avoiding large chunks of meat). Place 3 noodles in baking dish to create first layer. Drop 3 tablespoons ricotta mixture down center of each noodle and level domed mounds by pressing with back side of measuring spoon. Sprinkle layer evenly with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce evenly over cheese. Repeat layering of noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and sauce two more times. Place 3 remaining noodles on top of sauce, spread remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella, then with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Lightly spray a large sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover lasagna.

5. Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Return lasagna to oven and continue to bake until cheese is spotty brown and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer. Cool lasagna about 10 minutes; cut into pieces and serve.

Lemon Sauce

This lemon sauce is made with lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, and butter. I often cube boneless chicken breasts and saute it, then add this sauce to it and serve over cooked rice.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup boiling water

• 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel

• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

• 1 tablespoon butter

PREPARATION:

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add boiling water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, and butter.

CLASSIC MEAT LOAF

Adapted from the New Joy of Cooking

4-8 servings (depending on who’s doing the eating)

Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 7”x11” Pyrex baking dish (I use corn oil spray).

Combine in a large bowl:

1½ pounds of ground beef. Get some with fat in it, maybe 85% lean. I often mix packages of 80% and 93%.

1½ cups finely chopped onions

2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped, or a few shakes of garlic powder

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats or breadcrumbs (my choice)

2/3 cup ketchup

2/3 cup parsley

3 large or 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten

1 Tbs. dried oregano or basil

1 tsp. ground thyme

1 tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground black pepper

Knead the mixture with your hands until everything is well blended. Do not over mix.

Fill the baking dish with the meat mixture and bake for 1 hour.

In the meantime, mix a few tablespoons of ketchup with a tablespoon of mustard (I use Grey Poupon) and a couple of tablespoons of granulated brown sugar. When the meat loaf has finished cooking, pour off the excess fat, smear the ketchup mixture on the top of the loaf, and return it to the oven for 10-15 minutes. When it’s done, let it stand for 15 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.

Peanut Dipping Sauce

Gourmet, June 1993

I make Peanut Butter Chicken by adding this sauce to sauteed, cubed boneless chicken breasts.

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

1 garlic clove

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup water

In a blender, blend together the peanut butter, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, water, and salt and pepper to taste until the mixture is smooth and transfer the sauce to a bowl. The sauce may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.

Pork Chops with Mustard-Cream Sauce

4 thin boneless thin-cut pork chops (or use thicker boneless chops and fry longer)

Mixture of garlic powder, basil or oregano, salt, and pepper

1-2 Tbs. Olive oil

Sour cream

Dijon mustard (Gray Poupon preferred)

1. Using medium-high heat, heat a medium size frying pan on the stove.

2. While the pan is heating, sprinkle half of the spice mixture on one side of the pork chops.

3. When the pan is hot, pour in the olive oil and let it heat up for a minute or so.

4. Put the pork chops in the pan, spice side down.

5. Sprinkle the rest of the spice mixture on the pork chops.

6. Fry the chops for about 4 minutes on one side, then turn them and fry the other side for 3 minutes,

7. Remove the pork chops from the pan and take the pan off the burner. Leave the oil in the pan!

8. Put 2-3 heaping tablespoons of sour cream into the pan.

9. Put a teaspoon or so of mustard into the pan.

10. Using a spatula or plastic spoon, stir the sauce until everything is well blended. Then pour the sauce over the pork chops.

anyone have a great potato recipe? I am looking for a new dish so this excludes mashed potato or cutting them up to make french fries. Something different would be great.

Is slicing them out of the question?What kind of potatoes.Some easy ones out there.SLice up your potatoes, not chip thin, but thin enough...melt butter...put sliced potatoes in a backing dish, drizzle the butter over them and stir to coat. Sprinkle the top with garlic powder, paprika and a little bit of parsely...cook for 45 minutes at 350 or so and enjoy.Or the simple red potatoes, quartered and coated in olive oil and garlic with a little bit of kosher salt and baked is always a hit.

Firey Orange Adobado Sauce

After a few tries I think I’ve finally got a recipe close to a sauce I love at my favorite Mexican place. It’s called Adobado Sauce, a sweet and fiery orange sauce that is great poured over most any fish, chicken or pork. The restaurant serves it over smoked pork chops or shrimp. I’ve made it at home and put it over baked cod, grilled swordfish, as well as pork and chicken cooked various ways (smoked, pulled, grilled, etc.). It’s really simple.

1 container frozen OJ concentrate

4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (remove seeds and wipe off sauce, chop coarsely)

4 cloves garlic chopped

juice from one lime

2 cups chicken stock

1 tbsp butter

Thaw out the OJ. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and saute the garlic and chipotles for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Pour in the stock, the OJ and the lime juice, stir, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so, until it thickens a bit. Pour the sauce through a strainer so the solids are removed. Then pour it over whatever it is you want to eat that day. I also sometimes remove the casings of a couple of chorizos, crumble up the meat and sauté it until brown. Put the chorizo on paper towels to remove the excess oil, then add the chorizo bits to the sauce after it’s been strained. Then our this over whatever.

The notion of cooking with an entire can of OJ concentrate might sound strange, but damn, this stuff is good. Add another chipotle or two if you like stuff really hot.

anyone have a great potato recipe? I am looking for a new dish so this excludes mashed potato or cutting them up to make french fries. Something different would be great.

This one is :rolleyes:

Herb-Roasted Potatoes Poupon

Ingredients:

5 tbsp. Grey Poupon (or other dijon mustard)

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 clove garlic (chopped)

1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning

6 medium red potatoes (cut into chunks)

Mix all ingredients except potatoes in a small bowl. Place potatoes in lightly greased 13x9x2 in. baking pan or shallow baking sheet; Toss with mustard mixture. Bake 425 for 35-40 minutes or longer until potatoes are fork tender. Makes 4 servings. I like to double up on the mustard mixture. I pour some more on the potatoes once they come out of the oven. This is a family pleaser and very easy to make.

I will post my caesar green bean recipe. Usually have it as an alternative to green bean casserole. NTTAWWT.
Okay...found it...this is one of my favorite green bean casserole alternatives:

Green Beans Caesar

1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans, steamed (I use the unsalted canned beans as I like mine a little mushier)

2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil

1 tbs. vinegar

2 cloves garlic (crushed)

salt and pepper to taste

Topping ingredients:

2 tbs. breadcrumbs

2 tbs. parmesan cheese

1 tbs. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Toss beans, oil, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in an ungreased 1 qt casserole dish. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over beans. Bake 15-20 minutes.

You can never go wrong with the old standby of quartered red potatoes, covered with parmesan and cooked in olive oil, with garlic, S&P and maybe a little basil. Goes well with asparagus- bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes, and pull out the potatoes after the first 20-25 minutes, stir in a bunch of asparagus tips so they get in on the olive oil and garlic action, and pop it all back in together.

Okay...found it...this is one of my favorite green bean casserole alternatives:

Green Beans Caesar

1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans, steamed (I use the unsalted canned beans as I like mine a little mushier)

2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil

1 tbs. vinegar

2 cloves garlic (crushed)

salt and pepper to taste

Topping ingredients:

2 tbs. breadcrumbs

2 tbs. parmesan cheese

1 tbs. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Toss beans, oil, vinegar, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in an ungreased 1 qt casserole dish. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over beans. Bake 15-20 minutes.

Thanks, this is perfect. Sounds good and easy :moneybag:

Great thread tipsy. I've found a few things in here that I'll definitely try, so i guess I owe a couple of recipes in return.

Chicken and Corn soup.

I was making some chicken stock a couple of months ago and my girlfriend asked if I could "make that soup she always orders when we eat at a chinese restaraunt". I was skeptical becasue, well, I revere my normal chicken noodle soup and I was planning a killer risotto with the stock, but she was committed. When I served it up for dinner she and my 5yo (who is pretty conservative about what she eats) went ape over it, and I have to admit it was pretty flippin good. It's in the rotation now and has become a family favourite.

One note on chicken soup. Make your own stock. It's time consuming and you can make decent enough soup with the bought stuff, but the depth of flavour and the body of the soup really kicks up to another level if you do it yourself. If I havent got the time or energy to make the stock then I dont make the soup anymore.

So, stock:

About 4 carcasses chopped up a bit (I get them really cheap from my chicken guy).

About 2 1/2 litres of water (sorry cant do imperial... 4 pints?)

Bring to the boil and get rid of that nasty scum that rises, then add:

1 brown onion chopped roughly (I leave the skin on)

A few mushrooms

A tomato, quartered

A carrot chopped

A leek (though I often leave that out because leeks are too expensive)

A couple of celery stalks (plus leaves)

Couple of bay leaves

Cuple of sprigs of thyme

Handful of parsley

About 6-8 black peppercorns

Whatever else you might want to throw in, theres no rules on what makes a perfect chicken stock.

Simmer for at least 4 hours. Strain off the solid stoff and cool. I dont worry too much about the fat on the top, your mileage might vary.

I dont season the stock, I adjust it later when I make whatever I'm making with it. Stop cooking when it tastes like it will make a great soup - if it's too watery just reduce for a while.

Soup:

For about 1 1/2 litres of soup:

Stock

2 breasts or 4 thighs of chicken, chopped fairly small. (Getting good chicken is worth it. Good = free range as a minimum and if you can find someone who will sell grain fed or organic for an affordable price they are golden. Where I live theres a growing farmers market movement where people will sell you their produce directly for about the same price you can get it at the supermarket. This makes a huge difference to the flavour imo. We argue about what sort of chicken to put in, I prefer breasts for this soup - mostly for texture, my GF is adamant that the thighs give better flavour). I try and make the chicken slightly "chicken heavy" - goes down better with my mob, you could get away with less chicken in there I think.

1 can of creamed corn (you can use fresh cooked corn kernels but make sure you mash them up with a blender. I cant tell the difference from the canned corn so i dont bother any more)

1-2 teaspoons of minced ginger

1/3 cup of that Chinese shaoshing rice wine, or if not some dry sherry. Or leave it out, I have always just added it becasue theres a bottle in the pantry.

Cook for a few minutes until the chicken is done, add salt to your preference. I like a decent amount of black pepper in there.

Add a couple of tablespoons of cornflour made into a paste with water and stir through the soup, simmer for a couple of minutes until the soup thickens slightly.

Beat 2 or 3 egg whites gently. Take the soup off the heat and stir the egg through. You'll get little wisps of white egg through the soup that give it's characteristic appearance.

Add a little sesame oil (not critical if you dont have any).

Serve with sliced spring onion thrown on top (I dont know what you call them - scallions? those green ones with no bulbs).

That's it. The corn makes it slightly sweet, but the flavour and slight heat of the ginger balances it and it goes really well with the chicken broth.

Firey Orange Adobado Sauce

After a few tries I think I’ve finally got a recipe close to a sauce I love at my favorite Mexican place. It’s called Adobado Sauce, a sweet and fiery orange sauce that is great poured over most any fish, chicken or pork. The restaurant serves it over smoked pork chops or shrimp. I’ve made it at home and put it over baked cod, grilled swordfish, as well as pork and chicken cooked various ways (smoked, pulled, grilled, etc.). It’s really simple.

1 container frozen OJ concentrate

4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (remove seeds and wipe off sauce, chop coarsely)

4 cloves garlic chopped

juice from one lime

2 cups chicken stock

1 tbsp butter

Thaw out the OJ. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and saute the garlic and chipotles for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Pour in the stock, the OJ and the lime juice, stir, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so, until it thickens a bit. Pour the sauce through a strainer so the solids are removed. Then pour it over whatever it is you want to eat that day. I also sometimes remove the casings of a couple of chorizos, crumble up the meat and sauté it until brown. Put the chorizo on paper towels to remove the excess oil, then add the chorizo bits to the sauce after it’s been strained. Then our this over whatever.

The notion of cooking with an entire can of OJ concentrate might sound strange, but damn, this stuff is good. Add another chipotle or two if you like stuff really hot.

Thanks Nigel. That sounds great.

J

Hey Joe, reading about your smoked chicken.. :thumbup:

I do the same sort of thing in my Webber but I just put the chickens straight on the grill (not in a pan - I put that under the grill between the piles of coals to catch the drips). That way the chicken browns evenly without needing to turn it half way - I hate opening the lid and losing heat.

I've always done it at a higher heat and for shorter cooking time (basically just making a standard roast chicken in there), I'm definitely trying it longer and slower on the weekend. I've never heard of adding the briquettes in as you go to make fresh coals, I'll try that too. Awesome stuff.

Is slicing them out of the question?What kind of potatoes.Some easy ones out there.SLice up your potatoes, not chip thin, but thin enough...melt butter...put sliced potatoes in a backing dish, drizzle the butter over them and stir to coat. Sprinkle the top with garlic powder, paprika and a little bit of parsely...cook for 45 minutes at 350 or so and enjoy.Or the simple red potatoes, quartered and coated in olive oil and garlic with a little bit of kosher salt and baked is always a hit.
Bag of russets and I have sliced them and baked them sort of like what you mentioned except with seasoned salt. Dunno, just looking to do something with them besides mashed or sliced and baked or fried or potato salad.

This one is :goodposting:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 clove garlic (chopped)

Mix all ingredients except potatoes in a small bowl. Place potatoes in lightly greased 13x9x2 in. baking pan or shallow baking sheet; Toss with mustard mixture. Bake 425 for 35-40 minutes or longer until potatoes are fork tender. Makes 4 servings. I like to double up on the mustard mixture. I pour some more on the potatoes once they come out of the oven. This is a family pleaser and very easy to make.

That looks good although I have the large russet brown potato would that work?

This is one I tried this past week-end. Mother-in-law raved over it as well as the kids. The only thing I would suggest is sprinkle the poppy-seeds over the buns after you pour the marinade rather than mixing them into the marinade. I also left out the ham on a few buns for my wife, but used provolone and swiss on those.

Marinated Ham and Swiss Buns

Ingredients:

Marinade:

1 cup (2 sticks or 16 Tablespoons) butter

1/4 cup sweet onion, minced

2 Tablespoon poppy seeds

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

2 Tablespoons hot or spicy mustard

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

Sandwiches:

24 (about 2 x 2-Inches each) small dinner rolls (see Note)

Horseradish mayonnaise (see Note)

24 (about 3/4 pound) thin slices of deli ham (see Note)

24 (about 1/2 pound) thin slices of Swiss cheese

Preparation:

Line two 9 x 13-inch baking pans with non-stick foil or butter traditional pans.

To prepare marinade, saute minced sweet onion in butter over low heat until onion is soft and translucent. Add poppy seeds, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar is melted into the sauce. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Set marinade aside.

Slice the buns in half. Spread bottoms of buns with a thin layer of horseradish mayonnaise. Fold ham slices to fit the bottom of each bun. Repeat with Swiss cheese slices, folding to fit buns. Replace bun tops. Place ham and cheese buns into prepared baking pans. Pour marinade evenly over both pans of buns. Cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake marinated buns covered for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.

Notes: Use pre-baked dinner rolls. If you make your own yeast dinner rolls, all the better. If you are on a budget, adjust this method to use large yeast hot dog rolls, cut into thirds (you may need to adjust the baking time). Horseradish mayonnaise is easy to make at home, but there are decent commercial varieties to use as a shortcut. You can use traditional mayonnaise if you need to avoid horseradish. For the ham, I used a rosemary sun-dried tomato deli ham, but feel free to use your favorite. Just be sure it is sliced very thin (ask for it shaved) and use a high-grade, low-moisture ham for best results.

Yield: 24 appetizer servings

Found this recipe and tried it recently. Major :thumbup:

In this recipe the pork tenderloin is cut into medallions and sauteed finished in the raspberry sauce which is complimented with balsamic vinegar and fresh thyme.

4 pork tenderloin medallions (3 ounces each)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 cup red onion

1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme (finely chopped)

1/4 cup raspberry preserves

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

3 tablespoons orange juice

pinch of freshly ground black pepper

pinch of salt

Place the pork medallions in a hot saute pan with the vegetable oil and saute for 3 minutes on each side. Add the red onion, balsamic vinegar, orange juice and raspberry preserves and cook an additional 2 minutes or until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Finish with salt, pepper and fresh thyme.

Thanks for putting my top secret crab cakes out there for the whole world to see.

This "Post Thanksgiving Soup" is probably the most uniquely excellent recipe I have posted here. It's apparently been trialed by a few FBGs with great results. I'm not happy with how I described making turkey stock, but I think I'll do a little photo essay of the entire process this year for my sister's family recipes site. I'll send you a link to grab from if I actually get around to it.

I commented on the blog but again, thanks for the effort. I love the look of it and the resource in general. Way better than searching here. Greatness.

eta: just read this whole thread and now I'm about to invade some poor unsuspecting restaurant for lunch. I'll spare you the photo essay and just send a pic of the finished soup.

This one is :moneybag:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 clove garlic (chopped)

That looks good although I have the large russet brown potato would that work?
Sure. Just make sure the wedges are small enough and you're gold.

Thanks for putting my top secret crab cakes out there for the whole world to see.

This "Post Thanksgiving Soup" is probably the most uniquely excellent recipe I have posted here. It's apparently been trialed by a few FBGs with great results. I'm not happy with how I described making turkey stock, but I think I'll do a little photo essay of the entire process this year for my sister's family recipes site. I'll send you a link to grab from if I actually get around to it.

I commented on the blog but again, thanks for the effort. I love the look of it and the resource in general. Way better than searching here. Greatness.

eta: just read this whole thread and now I'm about to invade some poor unsuspecting restaurant for lunch. I'll spare you the photo essay and just send a pic of the finished soup.

Thanks CC. You did fine with the stock directions.

Making chicken or turkey stock is ridiculously easy and cheap. Just take the turkey or chicken carcasses after the meat's been picked off and throw them into a big pot. Cover with water and add some vegetables like onions, carrots and celery, a few peppercorns and you're set. Add any other spices like bay leaves and sage and other stuff you like if you want. Bring to a boil then cut back and simmer for 4-6 hours. Strain out all the solids and you're left with great stock.

I do this with the smoked chickens and turkeys I do and it's great.

I buy the cheap 4 cup disposable plastic containers and fill them up and freeze them. When I need stock, I always have some frozen I just break out and I'm set. Cheap and easy and better than what you'd buy in the story.

J

Anyone have a good blackened chicken recipe or more of a technique.

Blackened works best on things that cook quickly (like fish) or you can serve rare (like steak).First you need a blackened seasoning- a good basic one:One Tablespoon each:Black PepperRed PepperWhite pepperGarlic PowderGarlic SaltThymeBasilOreganoChili PowderCuminOnion Powder x3Mix these all up and use the leftovers for next timePress the seasoning into the meatHeat butter in skillet until smokingAdd seasoned meat and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove meat. Add more butter, tehn cook other side.With fish or steak, you are now finished (let the steak rest)For chicken, you should finish it off in the oven (350 degreess) until cooked through
I was looking for something to make tonight for dinner and came across this. Never have really done blackened anything at home, but I made this mixture tonight and had it on mahi mahi. Turned out excellent. Many thanks cosjobs. I am looking forward to adding it to chicken and lots of other things now.

Thanks CC. You did fine with the stock directions.

Making chicken or turkey stock is ridiculously easy and cheap. Just take the turkey or chicken carcasses after the meat's been picked off and throw them into a big pot. Cover with water and add some vegetables like onions, carrots and celery, a few peppercorns and you're set. Add any other spices like bay leaves and sage and other stuff you like if you want. Bring to a boil then cut back and simmer for 4-6 hours. Strain out all the solids and you're left with great stock.

I do this with the smoked chickens and turkeys I do and it's great.

I buy the cheap 4 cup disposable plastic containers and fill them up and freeze them. When I need stock, I always have some frozen I just break out and I'm set. Cheap and easy and better than what you'd buy in the story.

J

Homemade tastes WAY better too. Seriously people, don't buy a can or box!

Archived